She Was Enchanted by Him

Second Chance

 

The next day, Shin Hye is early for her class. She just sat quietly on her seat while listening to her iPod. Not long after, Yong Hwa came in and greeted her. She did the same. He seated upright in his chair and ate some snacks. They were the only ones in the classroom.

“Want some?” Yong Hwa asked her politely.

“Ah.. Aniyo! But thanks for the offer.”

They can only hear the sound of the swaying leaves and crickets from outside. Yong Hwa, again, was the one who broke the awkwardness.

“What are you listening to?”

 “Mwo? Uhm, love songs?”

She wasn’t really sure if she wanted to answer his question. She felt that she might be embarrassed. But then, she overcame it by offering the other piece of her earphones. She was even more surprised when he took it and started humming “Enchanted” by Taylor Swift. She looked at him with curiosity… and astonishment. Little did she know, he was also looking at her in his periphery.

“What’s with that look? Do I have something on my face?”

He started rubbing his face. She was startled. He knew totally knew it’s not because of that.

“Ah, Ani. I just… can’t believe… you knew those kinds of songs.”

“Wae? Taylor Swift is very famous! How can I not know that song?”

He let out a laugh. She felt a little embarrassed.

“Uhm. Mianhae. I should haven’t said that Yong Hwa-ya.”

“Gwaenchanha.”

He smiled at her. They continued listening to more love songs until Min Hyuk, Jong Hyun and Jung Shin came in. The two awkwardly removed their earphones. They greeted Shin Hye cheerfully as if nothing happened the day before. She greeted them with a smile, knowing that they finally moved on. They also greeted Yong Hwa happily but this time, Jung Shin winked at him. Yong Hwa suddenly changed his mood after that. He looked troubled.

“Gwaenchasumnikka, Yong Hwa?”

“Ah, Ne. I just remembered something I have to do. It’s nothing.”

He looked at Min Hyuk at the back. Jung Shin was cheering for him silently. Min Ah came in and greeted the two of them with teasing eyes.

Time for their Literature class. The teacher wrote an excerpt from Romeo and Juliet on the board.

“With love’s light wings did I o’erperch these walls.

For stony limits cannot hold love out,

And what love can do, that dares love attempt.

Therefore thy kinsmen are no stop to me. “

“This is part of the conversation of Romeo and Juliet when he went to her mansion secretly to see her. It’s from Act 2 Scene ii. What does this mean? Anyone?”

The teacher’s eyes kept on searching for a hand. She thought she found one but it was only Min Hyuk scratching his head. She then decided to call Shin Hye because she is the smartest in class.

“It just means that Romeo can’t help himself falling for Juliet and…”

She was unconsciously staring at Yong Hwa, who looks at her with encouragement. She suddenly forgot what she was about to say. Her ideas slipped from her head.

“And it says that… uhm…”

The teacher noticed she’s having a hard time remembering what she’s trying to say so she called Yong Hwa for help since he is a new face in class. Shin Hye sat down feeling really embarrassed.

“It also means that even though they are enemies, Romeo will still love Juliet no matter what. Nothing can stop him from doing it, for he is deeply in love with her.”

Shin Hye looked at him with admiration. He didn’t know a guy can understand a romantic line as good as that, even better at her. Min Ah was watching her friend’s every move, of course.

“Tsk. Tsk. Shin Hye ya! You’re becoming more obvious as days passed by.”

“Wae? What did I do?”

“You. Just. Stuttered!!! Yikee! You must have really fallen for him, right?! Admit it!”

“Ya! Stop it! Chugurlae (Wanna die)?”

Min Ah didn’t care. She knew her friend is too good to do that.

“I bet you can’t! Kekeke. Shin Hye, Yong Hwa sitting on a tree… K-I-S…”

She quickly covered before her classmates could notice. When she removed her hand from Min Ah’s mouth, she continued teasing her.

“You should take a look at yourself in the mirror right now! You’re cheeks are bright red! Omo! Kekeke.”