•p r o l o g u e

The Dark Chocolate Escape

[ P e r f e c t i o n ]

- it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

 


 

Have you ever looked at those people who are absolutely perfect in every way possible and thought, "Wow, how easy must life be for them?" They excel in their studies, their athleticism is second to none, they have a great personality, and heck, their socializing skills could probably put Queen Elizabeth to shame. That's how incredible they are; it's like they're on a whole different level from the rest of the world, waltzing through life in such a way that everyone else can only look on in awe and jealousy.

 

But what most people tend to forget is that no matter how flawless these people seem, they actually do have a weakness, a simple, yet blatantly obvious Achilles' heel, just like everyone else on this planet: They're human too.

 

"I'm not a god, you know. I cry, I feel helplessness, I screw up from time to time... I'm human too."

 

And, being mortal, it's only natural that they might crumble under the pressure of having to be number one all the time. Who could handle all that stress? They're constantly being monitored from dawn to dusk, they have to hide the struggles they face to stay at the top, and heaven forbid they make a mistake lest it gets exposed and causes others to fall into a shock-induced coma.

 

"B-B-But... You! I can't believe it! How could you mess up on something as dumb as that? Your middle name is perfect!"

 

So it's no surprise that secretly, deep down, they want to get away from this suffocating kind of life. They want to get away from the restraints, the rules, and the lack of freedom they're forced to live with everyday. And thus, they search. Whether it's for something as innocent and harmless as writing, or as dark and dangerous as an addiction, they look desperately for a means of escape, anything that will help them forget about the hurt and pains of reality.

 

"I can't take it anymore. Having to smile when I'm not okay, to laugh when I want to cry, to have to be so damn perfect all the time... Please. Someone just help me find a way to end it all."

 

They search because, no matter what you may think, life isn't all sunshine and daisies for these perfect people. It's not as easy for them as you see in the dramas, where the flawless main character breezes through life with such an ease that one can only wonder if they were born with it.

 

Not even close.