DREAM JOB

IRENE

p a r t : n i n e
DREAM JOB 


Once Donghae left,  Irene was alone. She could see Wendy but it wouldn’t be right to keep Wendy with her while she had so many other guests. Walking and looking around, she accidentally saw Donghae who’s standing outside on the terrace near the garden. He was not alone, there’s another man with him who’s tall and good-looking. They’re conversing but Donghae didn’t seem to be enjoying it, he looked annoyed instead. She scoffed as thinking “Does that man always annoyed to almost everything and everyone?”


•••


“Why are you here?” Donghae asked the other man with a cold manner.


“Wendy invited me. As a good friend, of course I’m coming” that man replied nonchalantly.


“A good friend?” Donghae mocked. “Say as you like” he laughed and proceeded to walk away.


“How’s your new project? Need some help?” that man stopped him when Donghae was just a few steps behind him. It wasn’t sound like a question nor help offer. “How about let’s mind own businesses, shall we?” Donghae snarled.


“Alright, I wonder if your new project is enough to make you to be the next president director of Jaesan Group, my dear step nephew”  that man sneered, laced with a wicked smile. 


Donghae clenched his jaws and didn’t give a about him, he didn’t want to waste his time for someone who always tried to get on his nerve. Especially when he brought up the matter of bloodline. It’s a common secret in the company and family that Donghae was not the biological son of Lee Donghwa — the founder of Jaesan Group, the current president director of the group and the only father that he knew. 


According to history, Donghae’s biological father passed away when her mom was pregnant. Lee Donghwa was so in love with Donghae’s mom so he married her and took care of Donghae like he’s his own son. By the time, Lee Donghwa wanted to try to have another child from Donghae’s mom but it never happened because of her health issue. But it wasn’t a problem, Donghae was a perfect son for him.


••• 


“His name is Lee Dongwook in case you’re curious” Wendy came out of nowhere and noticed Irene was looking at the two men. 


“Wendy unnie? I didn’t notice you were here” Irene startled, breaking her observation toward Donghae and a man which later Wendy explained as Donghae’s uncle although they had only ten years gap. 


Wendy knew all of Donghae’s family including Dongwook because they’ve been friends for as long as she could remember. 


“So, what’s your impression about Donghae so far? Have you talked about his project already?” Wendy was excited for Irene.


“Actually we didn’t talk that much and I think he’s a great businessman” Irene replied awkwardly. 


“I’m sure you’ll get the job, Hyun” Wendy encouraged her sincerely, she was so sure about that.


The party went on, time passed by. Strangely, after the conversation with Dongwook, Donghae was nowhere to be found. What’s even more strange was, Irene kept looking for his existence. Maybe because other than Wendy, the only person in the room that she knew was him. It’s always good to know she’s not alone in the foreign place.


Only when Wendy wrapped up the party, Donghae was seen coming back into the hall and he came for Irene. “The party seems over, I’ll take you home” he said. There’s a little bit enforcement but she used to that. It didn’t hurt her anymore. 


So, after saying goodbye to Wendy, Irene followed Donghae to his car. It’s such a déjà vu.


After some relaxed walks, Donghae stopped and turned around to face her. “Walk by my side, it makes me look less gentleman if you’re walking behind me” 


“Isn’t that a selfish reason?” Irene was dumbfounded. She saw Donghae was about to show his dominance and arrogance so she cut him first. “Alright, it makes me look pathetic too walking behind you” she remarked bravely. 


“So you feel pathetic being around me?” he asked, he really meant the question.


“But you don’t care anyway, do you?” she threw another brave statement. 


“What if I do care, that’s why I asked you” Donghae was cornering her with his question that’s unknowningly hard for Irene to answer, but she noticed that he’s not teasing her nor mocking her, he sounded true to his curiosity.


Irene remained silent.


“It’s getting late, let’s go” he commanded, waiting for Irene to walk beside him before continue to walk.


••• 


Irene expected the car trip would be as silent as before, but turned out Donghae was quite being initiative to talk with her.


“Tell me, how did you meet Wendy?” he asked, gave her a brief glance.


“I met Wendy unnie when I was in desperation looking for a job after you kicked me out from Blue Moon” Irene replied casually. Once in a while, she caught his facial expression and he looked unlike his usual self, he looked distracted.


“Unnie? So you’re closer than I thought” he responded. “She’s so kind and genuine, isn’t she?” he said again, surely he knew Wendy better than she did, they’re old friends.


Suddenly, uninvited thoughts crossed her mind. “Could it be, the one who Donghae talked to ever so sweetly on the phone a while ago was Wendy unnie? Do they secretly fall in love to each other? Otherwise, why does she hide her marriage? Wait! I almost forgot that her husband is Hyukjae, the one Donghae had beaten up! What if Donghae found out that his best friend is married to an ? Does Wendy unnie even know that her best friend is also sort of an ? Jesus, what kind of circle is this?” 


“What are you thinking?” Donghae mouthed and she broke her speculations. He was frequently checking on Irene when she didn’t notice. She was wondering why that man always knew whenever she’s thinking about something like it’s written on her forehead.


“Nothing” she said instead. Irene was too busy with her thoughts to realize that the car wasn’t heading to her apartment as supposedly. 


Before she could ask, Donghae pulled over. She looked around and it’s a place she had never visited before. It’s a river park that’s already quite at that hour. 


“Why are we here? I thought you want to take me home?” Irene asked while scanning around and see nobody. Again, she got chills because she had no idea what’s on Donghae’s mind right now.


“Open the compartment in front of you” Donghae asked. 


Irene did what he said anyway and it surprised her that inside was her lost sketchbook. She took it and was sure it was hers. “H-how did you get this? This is mine and I’m so looking for this” she was still in surprise. Then it all made sense now how he knew that she was the person behind Baebae Modern Art Gallery, from that very sketchbook. 


“Apparently, a young careless woman left it on bench park” he said and it opened up her memory box that at that time she was frantically rushing to her hometown and forgot to bring her sketchbook. 


“Thank you for keeping this for awhile” she said while flipping the pages with smile on her face. She expected him to throw another mockings or teasing but no, he just nodded.


“I like your drawings, that’s why I’m interested to hire you on my project” he stated and it always warmed Irene’s heart to know that someone actually like her works. It’s the compliments she liked to hear the most.


“I was about to show this to Wendy unnie’s friend who turns out to be you, but I guess you’ve already seen some of my works” she said and now was quite anticipating of what his next response.


“Work for me, Irene” Donghae spoke, looking straight to her.


It was a short and simple words but it drew her heart pounding in excitement. She was in cloud nine. 


“Why are you thinking so slow? All you have to do is say yes. It’s your chance to get money to pay back your loans” he mouthed and his arrogancy was back.


It’s rediculous, she worked for him before and got fired, now he asked her to work for him again. And it’s even rediculous, she worked for him to get some money that’s going to be returned to him. 


“The due is next month, remember?” he warned and left an evil smirk. 


•••


Donghae didn’t let Irene going home just yet. He suggested to go out for some fresh air. The view didn’t disappoint, Irene was mesmerized by the beautiful sparkle lamp from along the bridge and those skyscrapers. After some walks, they stopped at a bench where they could see the river closer. 


Irene took a deep breath and being thankfull for the bless she got today, she belived that her father was watching over her from above. While looking at river that’s full of reflection of the city lights, she could imagine her father’s euphoria knowing that she finally could get her dream job in art field. 


Donghae followed her along sitting on the same bench. He glanced at her and unknowingly the corners of his lips lifted, she looked effortlessly beautiful and it just felt calming only by looking at her enjoying the view. Johnny was right, the name of Irene suited her very well. The latter, he’s mentally laughing at himself because never had he imagined before he’d sitting on the bench in a river park, smiling like an idiot while looking at the girl who once rejected him. 


“So tell me about your painting journey and styles? Ensure me that you’re able to work on a big scale project” Donghae brushed his thought and abruptly discuss about work matter. 


Irene remembered she said she’s ready to be interviewed at any time, she shouldn’t say that. She cleared , working on her brain to compose some kind of impromptu speech. She looked nervous all of a sudden.


“Relax” Donghae said. “We’re not in the office, just tell me anything”


“Well, it’s another side of me that I’m an self-learning indie artist, a painter” she said timidly.


“Be more confidence for who you are!” he scolded.


“Y-yes” she replied apologetically. “I do my art on sketchbooks and canvases. I do mostly modern decorative painting, like an art wall painting. I sell them for money” then Irene started to describe although the nervousness was still obvious.


Meanwhile, Donghae responded with a good acceptance. The way he nodded and appreciate everything she said was definitely unline his mischievous side she used to deal with. 


“Why didn’t you go to an art school? You’re better off in that place rather than doing some random jobs” he said as the conversation was getting deeper.


“Random jobs? You mean the jobs that gave me some money to live. I wasn’t in the privilege to choose, that’s exactly why I ended working in Blue Moon and mindlessly took your offer. That’s not my first option” Irene was triggered and spontaneously blabbering around.


“Did you just scold me?” Donghae protested while squinting his eyes on her.


Irene was alarmed by the way she fussed around might awaken the tiger inside of  him. “No, of course not” she sputtered. 


Donghae bit back a smile because Irene was so easy to get nervous. “Continue please” he dictated.


Irene was dumbfounded by his switching characters as if she’s talking with two different person. She sighed, tried to make it not too visible to avoid another problem. 


Before she continued, there’s a flashing light came from somewhere around the bushes about a few meters away from them.


“What was that?” Irene pondered while observing the source of the light and found someone just run away from the bushes. 


“It’s a camera flash light” Donghae answered like he’s so sure about it and tend to ignore it. 


They’re talking for some time, mostly to answer Donghae’s curiosity about the person he’s about to hire as one of the art practitioners in his artistic hotel establishment. As she gained more confidence, she talked more fluently. Her explaination was on point. He was kinda proud of her, also pround of himself that he found the right person just in a right time.


Along the conversation, they engaged in eye-contact multiple times. He liked the way her eyes always beamed whenever she talked about her paintings. He knew already that Irene was drop dead gorgeous, but every time he looked at her, he kept saying that to himself.


“Aren’t you cold?” He suddenly said. There’s concern in his voice, his eyes bored into hers.


As Irene grasped his words, the situation, the place, him asking whether she’s cold, she knew it. It was like in some kind of classic drama where the man would heroically took off his jacket to cover up and warm up the woman. Now she had to chose whether to say yes or no.


“Seemed like the cold made you unable to speak. It’s better go home” he said and stood up. 


“Yes” she answered, stood up as well. Feeling a bit silly to speculate about the drama scene. 


••• 


“Thank you again for taking me home” Irene mentioned while hoping he’s not coming along to her room. 


“You’re welcome” he acknowledged and let her got off the car. However, Donghae didn’t go right away. He stayed there until she couldn’t longer be seen.


On her way, in the corridor as she reached the eighth floor, Irene bumped into someone, a man who dressed in all black. There were  not many rooms at the floor and as far as she concerned, it’s the first time she met that figure. She didn’t think much about it, she just thought he was a new neighbor or maybe he’s an old resident which she hadn’t met yet.


The moment she opened her room was the best feeling, it meant she could be in her own space and got some rest. Once she locked the door, her nose was sniffing. She smelled a foreign smell. It’s not a scent of pear and freesia which was her favorite room diffuser, she knew by heart what it smelled like. She sniffed her own clothes for the tiny possibility that Donghae’s perfume was transferred, but as she recalled, it’s not his scent. 


At the same time she’s thinking about Donghae, he called her phone. It’s from  him.


"Come out to your tiny balcony" he inquired out of the blue.


“What?” Irene was confused.


"You heard me, do I have to tell you twice?" he grumbled.


Irene spontaneously went to her balcony and had no idea what she’s doing.


"Alright, I’ll hang up" he ended up the call just like that after got to see Irene was already in her apartment room safely.


Irene was so pissed off but then she looked down and saw his car just left when she thought he’s already gone awhile ago.


“What’s wrong with him?” she grunted and came back inside.


••• 


Came morning, Irene welcomed the day by stretching her body and yawning. There’s a good feeling lingering, she’s about to become an employee. She’s checking her phone briefly as a post-wake up routine. She found Wendy’s text messages. It was sent at 2 am which was unusual and it was such a long one. 


"Hyun-ah, you must’ve been sleeping. Well, I hope you are. There’s a thing or two that I want to say to you but I just can’t say it in front of you"


In the text, Wendy admitted that actually and surprisingly, she knew that Irene used to work in Blue Moon for a short amount of time. She knew who broke her husband’s nose and why. She mentioned that it was devastating her and she felt ashamed at the same time when she was accidentally eavesdropping her conversation with Hyukjae a while ago in her house. She had no idea that her husband could do that to her and to Irene. 


Then Wendy explained why she asked Irene to keep her marriage secret from Donghae. He was her best friend, almost like a brother. Until she found a way to fix his impression toward Hyukjae, she asked Irene to keep silent about that. 


Wendy said, at the beginning, she convinced she shouldn’t get any closer to Irene but she unexpectedly found a good friend in her.


"I’m fine, don’t worry. I’ll take care of this matter with Hyukjae properly as a husband and wife. I hope nothing changes between us. See you later, Hyun"


Wendy’s confession made Irene trapped in a mixed feeling. It’s just a few minutes since she started her day with a warm heart but now she’s already feeling uneasy. She was contemplating whether to call her. Maybe it’s the reason Wendy texted her when she’s sleeping because this conversation was hard and would be heartbreaking for Wendy.


While in her confusion, someone rang the bell. She wondered who could it be, nobody knew where she lived except Joy and Donghae. 


She rushed to see the guest monitor, it wasn’t Donghae. In fact, it’s a new face. A man who was well-dressed in suite and tie, polished hair and a pair of glasses. 


“Hello” Irene greeted the man through the monitor, she definitely had never seen that person before.


The man immediately bowed to the monitor and introduced his name as Kim Doyoung from Jaesan Group, Chairman Lee Donghae’s secretary. 


Irene, who didn’t get the memo that someone from the company would come, had no clue why Donghae sent his secretary to her apartment.


“Excuse me, Miss Bae Joohyun-shi, isn’t it a common sense for you to open the door for me as I’ve already introduced myself to you and that I am sent by Chairman Lee himself?” Doyoung proclaimed sassily, waiting for her to let him in.


Irene stretched a smile while welcoming Doyoung. “Another cocky man, huh?!” she said inside her head, observing Doyoung who came with some big shopping bags.


Doyoung placed the bags in front of Irene. “These are from Mr. Lee” he informed. Irene looked puzzled but Doyoung didn’t wait any seconds to gave her some documents from his own bag. “He asked you to read all of these papers and sign on the places where I put sticker written as ‘sign here’ in the color of pink, because the blue one is for Mr. Lee” he directed, fast and sharp.


Irene spontaneously took the documents while nodding and grasping what he said. Then Doyong took something from his pocket, “Here’s my business card, contact me if you have any questions about the contract papers”. Without pausing, he took his phone out of another pocket and dialed it. 


Soon after, Irene’s phone was ringing. “It was me, Mr. Lee gave me your number and I just make sure it’s really yours and whether it’s an active one” Doyoung said while disconnected the call. “Later, I will send you the schedule and information when to start coming to the office to work” he added, while Irene just nodded religiously, afraid she’d miss any of the notes.


“So then, I will excuse myself, Miss Bae Joohyun-shi. Thank you for your time” he concluded. Same as when he came, he went suddenly. 


When Doyoung left, Irene took a relief breath. She stared at those paper bags, documents and his business card blankly. It happened so fast when she was just woken up and her brain hadn’t fully worked yet. “Phew! I hope not everyone in Jaesan Group is like that”


She wasn’t dumb, she knew they were shopping bags from well known brands. Then she opened up one of the boxes inside and found a gorgeous ivory blouse and a brown trousers. She’s squinting her eyes in suspicion but also couldn’t deny that she liked them as she drew a tiny smile on her face. “But these are too many, something is not right here” she put them back and was about to call Donghae. She gasped, aborted the mission as she remembered that it’s his working time and she didn’t need one more man to fussed at her. 


Some moment later, Irene was having a cereal breakfast on her sofa while reading the documents, at least she needed to fill her belly first before digging into the contact document that looked thick. However, her eyes were always distracted to those bags. Took it easy, after she finished her meal, she grabbed her phone and called him.


It was a thrilling moment waiting for her call to be connected.


“Good morning, Chairman Lee” she said right after it’s connected.


“Yes?”  he replied coldly like he always did. Pretty sure he’s in the middle of working.


“I hope I don’t —“ She said warily.


“Speak to the point, Hyun. Don’t waste my precious time”


This made Irene a little bit flutter inside. The way he called her real name by the most casual and informal way, somewhat made him sounded less authoritative, like they’d known each other for a long time. She quickly brushed it off and jumped on to the actual reason she called him, about the clothes, shoes and bags that were inside the paper bags. 


“Do you have to be told twice? My secretary said it all, didn’t he? Those are for you because I can and don’t ask me why”


“But they’re like super expensive, Sir” she clarified something that he already knew.


“So?” he asked. This time, he dropped all of his works, swiveled his chair around, overlooking the horizon above the city picturesque from the 30th floor. He’s very punctual about his works and when to take a rest, but talking to Irene was exactly what he needed to relieve his tense head. 


“I don’t think I can afford all of these, I mean buying designer clothes is not my priority now, Sir” she said in dismay while looking at those bags.


“Well, I paid for that” he retorted. She paused fo a moment. “What? Do you think I don’t have enough money to buy them so I needed you to pay me back?” this time, he purposely made himself to sound intimidating. 


“No, no, of course not” she answered repeatedly, chewing her under lips, mentally complaining why did he always perceive what she said otherwise.


“What do you mean, then?” he said slowly and calmer. He wished he could see her jittery face.


“Thank you Sir, I really appreciate it but I don’t think I can accept these much” she said wholeheartedly, convincing him carefully so he didn’t missinterpret her point.


Donghae sighed, stood up to see more of the view behind the glass wall. “Alright, if you think you can’t accept those, simply throw them away”.


“Throw them away?” Irene responded, her forehead creased.


“So what do you expect me to do with them? Do I have to wear them instead?” he scoffed.


Irene paused for a while, she pressed her lips together as tightly as possible but what the hell, her laughter insisted to spill out from . How on earth he could think as such punchline. It’s silly but she’s imagining he’s wearing woman’s blouse and heels that he brought. “I’m sorry, Sir” she said in between her laugh. Her laughter was so lively and cheerful. 


There was no response from Donghae. There’s not even a sound from him. She stopped herself abruptly, gulping as she realized what she just did. She just laughing at the devil. “I’m so sorry, Sir. I really do” she stammered, her tone of apology was completely different from earlier. She even needed to check on her phone to see whether it’s still connected because he didn’t say anything. “!” she mentally cursed herself.


“Sir? Are you there?” she nervously called him. Her voice was unsure, low and slow. She bit her under lip again, anticipating.


“Don’t stop laughing” he said softly. By the voice, he didn’t sound mad at all but Irene wasn’t sure. It’s not even sounded like a sarcastic statement either. 


She didn’t know what to say.


“I think it’s the first time I heard your laughter, it sounds—“ he paused, searching for the right word. “It sounds—“ he paused again, his intelligence in communication seemed left him just because of a single woman’s laughter. 


Irene was stone-like, her stomach crushed a little bit. This is not the usual atmosphere whenever she talked to Donghae. The fact that he’s cool about her laughing at him, if she flattered herself, she thought that he liked the way she laughed. It felt odd but she unknowingly liked it. For sure, she liked his softer side better.


“See you in the office tomorrow morning, don’t be late. Also, if you really appreciate it, wear those clothers. What’s so hard about that” he ended the call and Irene was still positioned her phone on her ear even after the disconnected sound appeared. 


“Can he be calm and sweet just like that all day long?” She murmured, thinking about Donghae out of the blue. “Wait, did he say tomorrow morning?” she recalled. She immediately check her phone and there it was, Kim Doyoung had sent her the schedule and everything as guidelines to her. Right, it said the first day of work was tomorrow. 


Irene screamed joyfully, she’s now officially an employee. On top of that, it’s Jaesan Group’s employee. On top of that, she’s now an art practitioner in art department, her dream job. 


••• 


The very next day, as she couldn’t be more excited, she was already waiting for the bus earlier, shouldn’t be late for the first day, just like what Donghae said.


After spending sometime in a bus, there she was, in front of the main lobby of Jaesan Group Headquarters. She looked around with excitement and high expectation.
 

Almost every girls as she walked by were looking at her from head to toe. She’s wondering if there’s something wrong on her face or with the way she dressed. Looking awkward, she secretly and quickly checked on her appearance, there’s nothing wrong she supposed. 


Suddenly, there’s a girl catching up by her side as they’re keep walking. She looked fashionable, holding a cup coffee with confidence. “Hi, you must be a new kid here” she greeted. “Wandering eyes, looking awestruck by this huge building, awkward walk. It’s typical” she continued talking. Irene replied with a simple and shy yes. “I’m Karina Yoo from executive marketing department” she introduced herself and smiled. 


“I’m Bae Joohyun and I’m—“ she paused and remembered Donghae said about being confident of who she was. “I’m an art practitioner from art department for Chairman Lee Donghae’s new hotel project” she proudly said that.


“Chairman Lee?” Karina gasped, stopped and looking at Irene with pity. “Girl, I hope you’re not a faint of heart. He is, although dangerously handsome, he’s so hard to please. Oh! Be careful of his secretary too, he’s too annoying” she rolled her eyes and then suggested them to continue walking to the elevator.


“Well, I hope I’m gonna be just fine” Irene left an awkward smile. Of course she knew about that, she’d been dealing with that.


“You have a nice taste in fashion, how did you get those? I mean it’s a limited edition and it’s sold out only on the first day of launching” Karina praised Irene while they’re in the elevator that’s packed with busy people.


“Oh! These? Uhm…” Irene tried to find an answer, honestly she’d never been to the brand’s store and had no idea about their collections or whatsoever.


“You don’t have to answer. I’m about to reach my floor” Karina mouthed. “I think we can be friends, looks like we have a similar taste in fashion. Find me if you need a hand, Joohyun-shi” she initiated and then strolled away. She may looked and sounded sassy but actually she’s not too bad, she’s quite nice.


“Hmm, I don’t think we have similar taste in fashion” she hummed to herself, wondering if Karina would still wanna be friends if she’s not as fashionable as she thought. 

 
The elevator, unlike the one in her apartment, was going up to the 30th floor in no time. It surprised her that as she stepped in the floor, it felt like she entered a whole another company building. It even had its own lobby. 


Irene walked to the receptionist counter table but somebody from another direction called her. It’s Kim Doyoung. He asked her to get into the meeting room where there’d be everyone who would be involved in the project.


When everyone was seated in the meeting room, a moment later, Doyoung opened the door from the outside. He kept the door opened because, there he was, Lee Donghae had arrived. 


Everyone was standing up as he walked in.  As he’s heading to his seat, his eyes landed on Irene. Swiftly, he’s scanning from her head to toe and there’s a hint of smile lingering on his face. 


During the welcoming speech and the briefing from Donghae, Irene was looking at him and paying attention to every words he said just like everybody else. But, she had to mentally slapped her face multiple time to keep her on the right track because he was such a distraction. She met her several times, she acknowledged that he’s a hella handsome man, but that time,  he was so charming in a good way.


Once in a while, because Irene was looking at him all the time, she caught him stealing glances to her. Even just for a second, his gaze was so deep as if he could make a hole on her face just by looking at her. She felt it again, the fluttering in her stomach.


••• 


Once the meeting done, Irene and other art practitioners entered their room and it was awesome. It wasn’t like an ordinary staff seats with partitions. It’s literally an art studio.


People started to work based on their jobs. It’s a big project, the art practitioners collaborated with the interior designer team were in charge to provide a majestic, aesthetic and artistic elements for the hotel. It’s time to show Irene’s true self as an artist.


••• 


It’s almost 6 pm. Donghae, accompanied by Doyoung, walked into the art studio to have a quick observation before they called it a day. Everything went well until Doyoung came closer to him to whisper something after receiving an email. 


“What did you say?” Donghae was literally yelled at Doyoung. His expression hardened and the room turned silent and tense as everyone looking at Donghae in fear. 


Their fine marble vendor, who came from Italy, couldn’t catch the flight to Seoul. They supposed to arrive today as they had scheduled an important meeting.


“All they have to do is come to the airport on time, why can’t they do that easy thing?” He’s clenching his jaws. Disappointment and anger made him looked scarier than ever. “Such an unprofessional people!” he hissed.


“They actually suggested to have an online meeting today at 2 pm, Sir. Rome time zone. So, it will be 9 pm in Seoul” Doyoung informed. 


Donghae massaged his temples, his head was boiling inside. If only they’re not the best in Italy, Donghae wouldn’t want to work with them. 


“Fine!” he clenched his teeth. “Tell them, it’s only for this time. If they cannot respect me and our company, I’ll cut them off” he spoke with rage. 


“But Sir, I’m sorry for asking but as per our new agreement, by 9 pm l’m supposed be off duty” Doyoung bluntly said. Everyone in the room was looking at him at the same time.  There's a horror in their faces, like where did he got the guts to say that in the situation.


“You are right! Who needs secretary or assistant in an online meeting at 9 pm?” Donghae’s sarcasm was so loud. “Seems like  you're starting to forget who I am and who you are.  Let a warning letter remind you of that” he warned and looked away. Doyoung gulped. He looked down and said apology. 


The room turned uncomfortably quite. Irene peeked at Donghae and he looked collecting himself from anger. He rubbed his jaw as thinking, and then he turned to see Irene, his eyes directly looking into hers.


“Joohyun-shi?” Donghae voiced.


“Yes Sir?” She was surprised by the sudden call but replied accordingly.


“I know it’s only your first day.  Do you mind if you’re working overtime tonight?” Donghae asked, but at this occasion there’s no such thing, his question meant an order to be obeyed. 


Now everyone turned their sight to her, waiting for her response. There’s no way she’d say no. “Yes, Sir” she answered impulsively. The moment she realized the weight of the words, she’s mentally face palmed. She had to be in the office for at least four hours and could be more. She sighed and kept her thoughts on the positive side


“Great” he exclaimed. She saw a glimpse of his devilish smile. 


“Before you end your duty, tell Miss Joohyun-shi what to do and what to prepare when I’m on a meeting” he ordered to Doyoung and then left the room.


“God! I hope it’s just an overtime work” Irene whispered to herself as watching him walking out.

•••