IT’S ALL ABOUT BUSINESS

IRENE

p a r t : e i g h t
IT’S ALL ABOUT BUSINESS 

 

 

No way to escape, Irene small steps followed Donghae down to the parking area, keeping the distance between him.

 

There’s no conversation in between, just voices of his shoes and her sneakers echoing throughout the basement hall. It was too quiet compared to the inside of The Blue Moon and pretty sure it would be chilling to the bone if she’s walking there alone. At that point, she admitted that by looking at Donghae who walked ahead in front of her, she felt safe.  

 

A beeping sound from his car startled Irene and it meant they’re about to enter his fancy car. Donghae’s heading to the driver seat side, opened the door for himself and asked her to open the door for herself and get in right away.

 

Actually, she hated being so obedient to that arrogant man but she had no choice. 

 

“Put your seatbelt on and tell me your address” he asked soon as she got in, and of course, she complied what he said.


••• 


It’s only five minutes since Donghae started steering the wheels but Irene felt like the time was slowing down fo her. She guessed the forty five minutes more to get to her apartment would feel like forever. Another five minutes passed, she thought it wasn’t too bad, his car was definitely way more comfortable than a public transportation. Being tired mentally and physically, she started to get sleepy, she lost count at how many times she hide her yawn. However, she forced her eyes to stay open because obviously she didn’t trust him. 

 

Irene believed serenity and silence are her best friends, but it didn’t apply in the situation she was in at that time. The silence made her feeling awkward. Every time she secretly glanced at Donghae, he was just cold-stare to the street and focused in driving.

 

A moment later, his phone was ringing. He put earbuds on and picked up the call. For some reason, Irene felt the tense atmosphere was a little bit subsided when he’s on the phone. She didn’t mean to and didn’t want to hear but how could she not hear when he’s right beside her.

 

“Hmm…” he answered. 

 

She thought his voice was getting raspier than before, he sounded tired. With the way he talked back, the caller must be someone close to him.

 

“No, I’m driving. I have to go somewhere. Why are you still awake? How many times I have to tell you, don’t be too stressed out and get enough sleep” he said to the person.

 

Irene noticed the tone of his voice was changed. He sounded so caring toward that person, a little bit nagging actually which was new to Irene.

 

“Don’t worry about me too much. If you keep being so ignorant, you make me worry too” he’s still in a conversation.

 

“Is that person his girlfriend? It sounds like a sweet conversation” Irene talked to herself, unknowingly commented to what she heard.

 

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow. Now get some rest, alright?!” he ended the call and then it’s just another moment of tension in silence until they reached the front of Irene’s apartment building. 

 

••• 

 

As Donghae scanned the building from his car, Irene cleared and said her gratitude to him for taking her home although she didn’t ask. 

 

But then, his answer was pretty unpredictable. “Let’s go in” he said while proceeding to get off of the car.

 

“Wait, are you going to come inside as well?” she jumped out of the car to follow him. She was appalled by his consistent arbitrary. “I don’t remember invited you to come into my room” she rebelled although she knew he wouldn’t care. 

 

“I hate to repeat what I said but let me remind you that you owe me a lot of money and at least I have to know where you live” he insisted. 

 

“Fine…” Irene was constrained to finally agree after being silent for a while. 

 

This time, she lead the way. It strangely felt like she’s being followed by a kidnapper who wanted to kidnap her in her own apartment. 

 

She pressed the elevator button. Usually, she wanted the elevator to run fast, but that day, she’d be glad even if it’s broken. It’s just, bringing him to her apartment room didn’t sit right for her. 

 

When the elevator reached the ground floor, she was hesitated to get in. If it wasn’t him asking her to hurry up while pressing the button to keep the door open, she would let the elevator go. 

 

It’s already late night so there’s not many people or almost no people hustling around the building, nobody else except the two were inside the elevator. Donghae was standing behind her and it made a creepy thought crossed her mind as she could see his reflection from the elevator door that he was observing her from head to toe. 

 

“What are you looking at?” Irene turned around to face him, irked with the way he looked at her. 

 

“I’m looking at you, there’s nothing else to look at” he replied ignorantly, even boldly made one step toward her. 

 

“Well, you can look at your phone or the corners of this elevator, or something else” she snarled but also made one step backward as a response. She knew she’s brave and physically quite strong, she learnt taekwondo in high school. But in this particular situation, where she was trapped in a 1,5 by 1,5 meters compartment alone with a man who had well built body that probably could do anything to her, she became a faint of heart instantly.

 

Donghae caught the horror on her face and was dumbfounded. “I know it, you’ve been thinking that I might touch you or do something else. Irene-shi, you have such wild imagination” he laughed it off with a mocking manner. “If I wanted to do something to you, I can do it right away the moment I laid my eyes on you” he reasoned.

 

It made Irene recalled what Johnny said about Donghae, that he would never touch a  girl without a consent. As a businessman, he believed in a win-win or mutualism situation, and it apply to his interest in a relationship with a woman. 

 

“Alright, then don’t touch me” she nodded and warned with a stern expression.

 

Suddenly, the elevator was stopped at the fifth level. It wasn’t the floor where her room was. Someone must’ve been pressed the button. When the door was opened, it’s not just someone, it’s a group of three people who were hassling to get in. One person accidentally pushed Irene until her supple body stumbled forward.

 

As a reflex, as her instinct to keep herself from falling down, her hands grabbed anything she could reach. Well, in that moment, the only thing within her reach was Donghae’s body. 

 

As she accidentally lean to Donghae, her hands were pressing his chest and slipped down to his forearms. She felt it, his body felt like a solid muscle. However, he didn’t budge at all, didn’t try to catch her either. 

 

“I didn’t touch you. You’re the one who touch me. Don’t you feel embarrassed now?” he whispered, totally made a fun of her.

 

“That was an accident” she quickly took her hands off, turned around and shrugged.

•••

It took sometimes for the old elevator to reach the eight floor. Irene lead the way to her apartment room number 812, it wasn’t too far from the elevator. She took the key and actually wasndoubtful to open it, but she was tired to argue with the man behind her.

 

“Welcome” she said halfheartedly, while still holding the door knob to make it stay open for him. 

 

Donghae was walking in and scanning around. There’s not much to see, the moment he stepped in, he practically could see almost the entire one-bed studio apartment. The room was straightforwardly simple but the neutral color surprisingly made it looked cozy and felt warm. 

 

“You’ve already known the building address and my room number as well” Irene sad while still holding the door knob. She saw Donghae was too busy looking around every nook and cranny to pay attention to her.

 

Then, he found something on the small shelves beside the two-seat sofa. “Can I take a look at those?” he’s pointing out to a stack of books that looked like the sketch book that she left. 

 

Irene was appalled that he’s totally ignored her and only did what he wanted to. She thought of what a random person he was. “Sure” she said while bringing the sketch books for Donghae while he confidently took a seat even before Irene pleased him to. 

 

He was comfortably sitting cross-legged while flipping each pages to see some of her drawings that were worth for a brow-rise of appreciation. Meanwhile, Irene was standing beside the sofa, linked her arms on her chest, impatiently waiting for him to finish and leave. 

 

“Your drawings were impressive” he said while still looking at them.

 

“Well, thank you” she answered, she was red-faced smiling. It was her sweetest smile he saw so far.

 

“Do you have iced water?” he asked casually.

 

Of course she had, the reason she didn’t offer him a drink was because she expected him to leave soon. Since he asked, as a nice host, she got him a glass of iced water. 

 

Once Irene served it on the table, Donghae put  the sketch book down and took something from his suit pocket, a luxurious branded handkerchief. The next thing he did, he dipped it into the iced water. Irene was like in confusion, she started to think that he was insane. He pulled it out and squeezed it. “Yup! He must be insane” said Irene in her head. 

 

Then, she didn’t expect at all that he stood up and came to her to press that icy cold handkerchief on her bruised cheek. She flinched. “Don’t move” he quickly said and she had no idea why she complied right away.

 

“Did you know that if you applied ice pack, a bag of ice, or anything cold or frozen even better, immediately after the injury, it can lessen the pain and prevent the swell?” he said ever so softly while keep pressing gently. “Is it hurt?” he asked, still focused compressing her check. 

 

“No…” she mouthed, almost whispered. Irene never thought he could be such a sweet gentleman despite his exasperating behavior. “Wake up, Hyun. Don’t be swayed!” Irene said to herself. 

 

“Open your hand” he said. Irene did it anyway, she thought it might be for another treatment to ease the bruise because actually it did hurt. 

 

“Take this” Donghae put the cold and wet handkerchief on her opened hand, then looking right at her eyes. “I didn’t touch you at all, this piece of fabric did” he said again and then walked away.

 

Right in front of the door, she stopped and turned around. “I’ve decided to accept your wish, let’s consider the money a loans” he stated. There, he saw her precious smile.

 

“Than—“ Irene was about to thank him.

 

“The due is a month from now” but he spoke first.

 

Instantly, the curves of her lips turned down, like how she supposed to pay it back in just a month. It doesn’t make sense for her, like where did she’ll get that much money.  

 

“Chairman Lee, one month is too short for me, I’m afraid I can’t get the full amount of money within a month” she complained and begged for more time. 

 

“If you trust yourself and work hard, you can get the money” he advised without guilt. “I’ll see you later” he let out a victorious smile and then left her apartment, leaving Irene behind who was still stuttering, trying to convince him to revise the due date.

 

“Jesus! He’s just so aarggghh!!!” Irene screamed in frustration after he really left. 

 

“She’s so cute” Donghae was smiling all the way to his car. It’s not about the money, honestly he didn’t care even if she couldn’t pay it back. He’s just glad that he could use the loans as a reason to and getting closer to her. 

 

Donghae was in a good mood, even the old and slow elevator didn’t bother him. After waiting for a while, still with a silly smile on his face, finally the elevator was opened for him. It wasn’t empty, there’s a tall man who wore all black clothes. His cap and face mask were also black. For a very short amount of time, Donghae saw him flinching backwards. However, for some reason, that man’s figure looked familiar although he couldn’t tell who he resembled with. 

 

As Donghae casually stepped in, turned out that guy was about to dropped off at that floor and accidentally bumped to Donghae. It  was because of the serotonin boost he got from teasing Irene was still flowing in his blood, Donghae didn’t mind at all. 

 

“I’m sorry” that guy said as scurrying away without looking at Donghae nor waiting for his acknowledgment upon his apology. Again, for some reason, his deep and low voice sounded familiar too. Donghae watched him until the elevator door was closed but still couldn’t recall who that guy reminded him of.

 

Meanwhile, after a long and mentally tiring day, Irene finally had time to sit down and take a breath properly. Her concern went to her mom while rumpling the handkerchief he left. “I’m not a , mom… I’m not…” she whispered and she wished she could say that to her mom. 

 

••• 

 

The very next day, Irene woke up with the thought of the due date Donghae gave her. “You’re so mean, Lee Donghae! Do I have to sell my kidney?” she mumbled while stumbling to get off the bed. “No! My kidney is precious. I have to get a job today” she told herself and heading to the kitchen which was just a few steps away from her bed. 

 

She made herself a simple breakfast and then went online to find some job vacancies. After scrolling down a website for a jobseekers for some time, her phone was ringing. It’s Wendy. 

 

Turned out, Wendy invited Irene for an afternoon coffee, as an apology for being too harsh last time and also that she had something important to say. For Irene, Wendy didn’t have to apologize because she had the right to act so. About something important Wendy wanted to say, Irene grinned in agitation. “Could it be, Miss Wendy has already found out about what happened between me and her husband?” she thought. It’s weird that she felt like she’s the one who sinned when it’s her husband who did her wrong. 

 

Before hanging up the call, Wendy offered to pick Irene up. As expected, she was so kind and thoughtful. But Irene didn’t want to trouble her so she politely rejected.

 

••• 

 

Hours passed by quickly and it’s time for Irene to come to the coffeeshop Wendy told her. On her way, she prepared what to say if Wendy turned out wanted to speak the matter of her husband.

 

Irene looked around to see where Wendy was seated, but it was Wendy who saw her first and waved her hands to Irene with expression that’s as bright as the blue sky on that day. Her sweet and vibrant smile obviously didn’t look a smile of a wife who just found out her husband’s bad attitude. 

 

After some talks and a half cup of americano, Wendy told her the main thing she wanted to say. Irene looked at her nervously.

 

“I know…” Wendy said.

 

Irene silenced for a while. “Know about what?” she asked, her eyes widened with an anticipation.

 

Wendy smiled at her. “I know that you really need a job. I have a good news for you” she said, so it has nothing to do with her husband, Hyukjae. Irene mentally took a breath of relief.

 

“You’re going to hire me at your class?” Irene asked with hopeful eyes. 

 

Wendy shook her head after sipping her coffee. “Not me, but a very good friend of mine will” she mentioned. She then explained that her particular friend was a businessman and was on a big project. He’s establishing a new artistic hotel and would like to collaborate with as many qualified indie artists. As a fan of Irene’a works, of course Wendy took this chance to promote her to her friend. Lucky Irene, the moment Wendy showed him some of Irene’s works, he agreed to meet her and talk about the possibility of collaboration.

 

“Hotel? Is it Jaesan Group?” Irene asked, she didn’t know why but she thought about Jaesan Group at the moment Wendy mentioned about hotel business 

 

“Jaesan? No, it’s not. You wished it was Jaesan, right? I know, there’re like the biggest in the country” Wendy replied, looked a little bit awkward.

 

Whether it’s Jaesan or not, Irene was absolutely happy to hear that. She was more than thankful for Wendy and was ready to meet and be interviewed by them anytime.

 

“So it’s a yes?” Wendy asked, her beautiful round eyes beaming with expectations.

 

“Of course, Miss Wendy. I couldn’t agree more” Irene replied, she couldn’t put into words how grateful she was. She started to believe Wendy was a real angel in a form of human.

 

“It’s Wendy. Call me Wendy instead. It’s more comfortable that way” she said. “Wait, aren’t you younger than me? So, unnie it is” she suggested and looked sincere about that.

 

“Unnie? Well, it’s perfect because I always want to have unnie in my life. Alright, if you said so I’ll call you Wendy unnie from now on and you have to call me just Joohyun or Hyun instead ”  Irene responded with the manner. She glad that Wendy took a step to make their relationship closer, that she made a new genuine friend who had good vibes, that they unexpectedly matched really well as friends. 

 

But then, the spark on Wendy’s eyes subsided, she looked down and her eyes were watery. “Are you okay, unnie?” Irene ask, being worried.

 

“I’m fine, Hyun. Something in the past just hit me, hardly” she mouthed and tried to shake it off.

 

“If you care to share, I’d love to hear”  Irene replied with concern. 

 

As Wendy found it’s comfortable to talk to Irene, she didn’t mind to share her personal story to her. She mentioned that she used to have a little sister. Irene called her as unnie kinda reminded her of her sister. 

 

“But she’s gone. It’s regretful that we only had three amazing years to be with her but I believe God has taken a good care of her in heaven” she said again, there’s still visible pain in her words.

 

From her voice, Irene could tell that Wendy was a caring and loving sister. Irene held Wendy’s hand, trying to console with appeasing words and how she understood the feeling because she lost her father recently. Wendy’s expression was nothing but being thankful.

 

Seconds after, Wendy gasped and got excited all of a sudden when something popped up in her head, she remembered that there’s another thing she wanted to tell. It amazed Irene that Wendy could manage her feelings well and changed expression that fast. 

 

So, it happened that Wendy was about to celebrate her birthday in two days and would like Irene to come to her party. In that occasion, she wanted to introduce Irene to her businessman friend they’re talking about a while ago, just for a casual rendezvous before they got down to the actual business. 

 

It was an easy yes from Irene, she said she’d love to come. Not only for the rendezvous with Wendy’s businessman friend, but also that Irene really did appreciate and celebrate Wendy as a new friend that’s close to her.

 

••• 

 

After the fun meeting with Wendy, the only thing Irene wanted to do was preparing her portfolios before she met Wendy’s friend. She didn’t want to mess this up as she did last time in Wendy’s house. Then, she remembered again about the lost sketchbook. She’s mentally facepalmed for not taking a good care of it until it’s gone.

 

In the midst of regretting her carelessness, her phone was ringing. It made her jumped and shriek until everybody on the street around her looking at her as if she’s a weird girl. It was Joy, the missing girl friend. 

 

“Joy!! Where are you?!!” Irene nagged.

 

“Come here, I bought you iced americano” Joy replied, totally ignored the complaint.

 

“You’ve already bought me one? So you’re so sure that I’ll coming to you? What if I’m busy?” Irene played it cool as if she didn’t miss her. 

 

“Nah! You’re not busy, Hyun. You’re jobless” Joy and laughed. 

 

Irene scoffed but didn’t have defensive words because that’s true. Not sure if she could drink anymore coffee but she followed Joy’s directions to meet her.

 

They’re catching up for quite sometimes. Although Irene wanted to tell Joy about what a roller coaster her life in these past few days, she held it and filtered it up. Instead, she was excited for telling Joy about the nice girl, Wendy. She also told her about the birthday party invitation and the opportunity to work with her friend.

 

Joy was happy that Irene got a new friend because she actually felt bad for not be able to be with her as often as she promised before she decided going to Seoul, Irene was still a new comer in the  big city anyway. 

 

“Alright, lucky you it’s my day off. Let’s go shopping for your dress!”  Joy remarked, already packing up her bag and ready to go. 

 

“My dress? What dress?” Irene was confused but followed Joy to get going anyway.

 

“A dress for your new friend’s birthday party obviously” Joy emphasized, shrugging and rolling her eyes.

 

“I don’t need a new dress, I can wear one of mine—“ Irene opposed the idea.

 

“Oh you need it, Hyun. It’s on me, come on” Joy insisted and dragged Irene out of the coffeeshop with excitement.

 

It was so much fun for Irene and Joy to stroll around shopping mall and choose the best dress that suited Irene. After good two hours, she got it, a white mini dress with transparent long sleeve and high collar. 

 

“You know it’s crazy that a few days ago I felt like I saw you in Blue Moon. Maybe that’s because I missed you so much, my dear Hyunnie!” Joy said and felt like it was an absurd thing.

 

“Y-yeah, that’s absolutely because you missed me” Irene agreed with an awkward laughter. 

 

“Speaking of Blue Moon, how is your boss? I mean, you didn’t get any trouble because of him, right?” Irene asked and the latter she had no idea why starting a topic about Lee Donghae. 

 

“It’s all good, he looks busy these days so he’s kinda chill to all of us. It’s also weird that we haven’t seen him with any girls in the past months, I think it’s the longest period of time” Joy answered without any suspicion that Irene had an unusual interaction with her boss recently.

 

Irene just nodded and sighed because not only did she hide something from Wendy, but from Joy as well. 

 

••• 

 

Irene woke up to the sound of the alarm and felt so good that day because it was Wendy’s birthday. Not only because she’s excited for her friend’s special day but also it’s the day she’d meet the business man who’s hopefully interested to hire her. 

 

She checked her phone and found out Joy’s text message. It said “I booked this beauty salon for you, make sure you look fabulous tonight!!”. Irene was so touched and it added up the excitement for that day. “Sooyoung-ah!! Thank you, you’re the best!!” she texted her back. 

 

•••

 

Irene dressed up nicely, put some make up on that’s accentuated her natural beauty and was ready to go. The place was luxurious and she thanked Joy again for the idea of having a new and elegant dress.

 

It felt alien for her going to that kind of event, plus she knew nobody there. Like a lost child, she’s looking for Wendy. “Joohyun-ah!” she heard someone called her from another direction. Surely it was Wendy because nobody in that place knew who Joohyun was. As always, Wendy welcomed her wholeheartedly and it made Irene felt at ease.

 

“Hyun, can I ask for something?” Wendy said reluctantly.

 

“Of course, Unnie” Irene replied with certainty.

 

“You know I’m married, right? Later when you meet my friend, don’t tell him that I am” Wendy said, almost whispering.

 

“Yeah, sure. Don’t worry, I won’t tell” Irene agreed without asking a single question, although it’s kinda weird for someone that’s considered as best friend had no idea that his friend was already married and why she hide it from her best friend anyway.

 

They’re talking for sometime while casually sipping on some wine until Wendy’s eyes caught on someone. “Over here!” Wendy waved and shouted to that person. “Here he is, Hyun. The friend I was talking about” she informed Irene. For instance, Irene switched sight to that person. The moment she saw him walking toward them, her eyes widened as if they couldn’t get any bigger, she was choked on the expensive well-aged wine that she didn’t used to with the taste and it sadly created some dots on her white dress. 

 

“Hey, you okay?” Wendy was startled but still full of concern.

 

“Unnie… I’m sure you told me that your friend is not from Jaesan Group” Irene couldn’t believe her eyes and couldn’t grasped the situation.

 

“You know who he is?” Wendy asked, quite surprised.

 

“Uhm… I think I’ve read some articles or so about him somewhere” Irene made another lie, she wasn’t sure to tell Wendy how exactly she knew about him.

 

“Ah! Right! He appeared on the news sometimes” Wendy cluelessly replied. “Hyun, I didn’t mean to lie to you but he asked me not to mention about Jaesan Group” she explained and by the time, he stopped in front of them. 

 

Irene was full of confusion while looking at him. With him being not surprised at all, looking so suspicious while wearing his arrogant smirk, she could tell that he knew she was the person behind Baebae Modern Art Gallery account, she just didn’t know how and why he chose her.

 

“Hyun, let me introduce you to your hopefully future business partner, the leading man in Jaesan Group although I shouldn’t say that but anyway, Lee Donghae” Wendy excitedly said to Irene as she proudly presenting Donghae.

 

“I know who he is, Unnie. More than I should. And I’ve already had a business with him” said the voice inside Irene’s head.

 

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet such a talented artist like you, Joohyun-shi” Donghae greeted her and crane his hand for a handshake. Irene lightly bowed to him and reached his hand to answer the handshake, for as far as she remembered, it’s the first time they made a skin to skin contact and also the first time he called her by her real name. His hand felt firm and warm, contrasted with the coldness shown on his appearance. 

 

“I guess both of you can talk, I need to welcome my other guests so if you guys please excuse me” Wendy said and that made Irene and Donghae broke their eye-contact. 

 

“So, what are you playing right now actually, Chairman Lee?” Irene seriously asked. 

 

“No matter what it is, it’s gonna be fun” Donghae answered, putting his hands on pockets, looking at her with his usual hawk-eyes, scanning at her from head to toe, paying attention to the dots of splattered wine on her dress. 

 

Irene was about to say something, there’s so many things she wanted to ask on how she ended up meet him again in different situation. Before she could say a word, she caught Donghae glanced at certain direction seriously and then back again at Irene with a calmer gaze.

 

“I’ll talk to you later” he said nonchalantly. As he walked away, he stopped for a while to whispered on her ear. “I didn’t touch you, it’s you who voluntarily reaching my hand. Also, that dress looks good on you. Nice choice, Joohyun” his warm breath fanned her ear and for a moment she was blushed. She didn’t look back at him until he’s far enough.

 

“Hell no, you’re not supposed to be blushing, Joohyun” Irene mentally talked to herself. 

 

•••