Chapter 8

Steps to your heart [BaekhyunxOC]

The walk from the lecture hall to the stadium was quiet between Jaein and Baekhyun. 

Both of them didn't say a word about what happened and Baekhyun appreciated the silence. Thought went through his head, with Taeyeon always claiming that she was busy, especially for dinners or any spare time that she had between classes.  Baekhyun was suspicious about it but now he could confirm, that she was cheating on him for God knows how long. Baekhyun couldn't recall how he ended up in the top row of the bleachers or when Jaein disappeared to grab a juice for him and hand it over to him. Silence grew over them for a long time and neither of them spoke about what was on their mind. The night was cool as the wind blew on both of their faces, ruffling their hair into a mess. Baekhyun was exceptionally quiet and did not move an inch even with the chilling weather. After a while, Jaein finally spoke as she unwrapped the scarf on her neck and put it on Baekhyun instead, Baekhyun accepted it wholeheartedly. The faint mint smell he never knew he missed so much.

"Think it through already?" Jaein asked without looking at Baekhyun. Baekhyun looked at her with the corner of his eyes and replied, "There's nothing I can do anyway. I'm done." 

"Glad you now feel what I felt. Served you right, Byun bull." Jaein hissed teasingly. Out of all the comforting words, Baekhyun thought Jaein would say, she didn't but instead added oil to the fire. Somehow Baekhyun didn't feel anger or discomfort, he felt... like he belonged there so laughter left his chest without him knowing. He hadn't laughed so wholeheartedly for months and that was release to him. Jaein laughs softly too along with his tingling laugh. She missed hearing his voice too. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It had been a week after what Baekhyun and Jaein saw. Of course, Baekhyun and Taeyeon broke up privately, but word spread like wildfire when they saw Taeyeon and Suga touching everywhere they went. Instead of facing distressed Baekhyun because of the breakup, EXO seemed to get the old Baekhun back with more jokes and fun around him, more lighthearted and it felt like had their weight lifted off their shoulders when they still see him joking around.   Everyone also noticed Jaein would start to greet everyone when there was a meeting, including Baekhyun, which made the surroundings more cheerful, especially for Chanyeol. He became a full-blown kid and punched playfully at Baekhyun's arm when he saw Jaein give a small smile towards Baekhyun. "FINALLY U PUNK, took you one freaking year."

Jaein was still awkward with Baekhyun even after they made up, but it didn't feel the same for Jaein. She's more cautious than before, especially for her feelings. She was pretty sure she over Baekhyun but those harsh words had carved into her mind as she had been repeated the word in her brain for hundred and thousand times, reminding her that she'd need to be better to become someone deserving. 

The meetings with EXO and the committee had progressed from just an application for a performance venue, and finding sponsorship and now they are finally in the stage of starting to recruit talented singers and dancers auditioning for the performances and all performance arrangements, which will take even more of Jaein's time for all the arrangement and more frequent meetings. Jaein was inwardly grateful that she and Baekhyun made up so she didn't have to deal with the awkward situation because they would spend nearly every day together. Baekhyun was working the closest with Suho hyung and was more focused than before to make sure things were on schedule. When it comes to things that Baekhyun is passionate about, nobody can stop him from doing it perfectly, he is a perfectionist by heart. Even with the recent "encounter" with Taeyeon, he seemed unfazed by it or was doing a great hiding his emotions. He would then attend all the meetings and actively provide constructive advice like he had researched it the day before the meeting and even pointed out many parts that the member missed out on. Which in a way, had caused Jaein to have longer meetings and minutes to write on. Screw you Byun Baekhyun.

After one of the long meetings about stage arrangement for the performance, Baekhyun decided to stay back and look through again all the arrangements since the number of performances and show arrangements must be accurate, and this has resulted in Jaein staying behind AGAIN because he would need her notes.

"Beak, cut Jaein some slack, she just ended her examination this morning, she needs rest." Suho oppa placed a hand on Baekhyun's shoulder motioning him to get back home since it was getting late. "But Hyung, this is the most important-" Baek pouted at Suho and whined but before he could finish, Jaein who was keeping her notes sat down again and replied," It's okay Oppa, I'll assist him, I need to clean the notes down and document it too anyway." Suho frowned, "You look tired Jae, you should take a rest." Jaein gave Suho a warm smile,  "I've dealt with more tiring days oppa, and pretty much most of it includes Byun Baekhyun in those days. I can do it, for the sake of the performance, I can help, stop worrying, oppa." Jaein teased. Without letting Suho reply, Baekhyun clapped his hands together, "Great! Let's end this in an hour Jaein." as Baekhyun gave a few pats on Suho's back to assure him. Suho didn't say a word back to Baekhyun but looked at Jaein instead," Tell me if you need a ride back home sweetheart, I'll still be in the compound okay?" Suho ruffled Jaein's hair and heard Baekhyun puff in unfair. 

After Suho mentions the 10th time asking Jaein to tell him if she needs a ride, Baekhyun promises with his life that he will send her back to her home until the moment Jaein closes her bedroom door, which Jaein knows she won't let happen. "Ugh finally!" Baekhyun groaned because it took forever to make Suho go out of the classroom that was now empty. "Let's get this done," Jaein continued without waiting and Baekhyun followed. They were serious and deep in discussion about the instruments, arrangement of the stage, and going through little things that were missed during the meeting. Jaein was standing in front of the whiteboard with a marker pen in her hands writing down all the points before concluding the minutes while Baekhyun was leaning his lower back on the lecture table edge. 

"So you think It's better if we put the solo stage on the 5th song after Kokobop? Cuz I think Kyungsoo will lose his breath. Maybe we should put the dance line up?" Baekhyun suggested as Jaein looked through the song arrangement. "Fair point, let's change that to Kai and Sehun first and see if it's-" Baekhyun was imagining how the entire arrangement would go and he heard footsteps near the classroom. He turned his head around and saw Taeyeon giving off a sly smile that Baekhyun knew too well of. 

Jaein was then facing the whiteboard, starting to make the changes suggested by Baekhyun. Without even thinking much, Baekhyun stood up behind Jaein, put his hand by her arm, and pulled her closer to his chest, hoping that he could cover Jaein's body with his. It might look intimidating for Baekhyun just to pull Jaein so close to him but Baekhyun knew, Taeyeon would find a way to disturb Baekhyun and make hell for him. Even though Taeyeon was the one who was at fault in their previous relationship, Taeyeon was pissed at the thought that Baekhyun wanted the breakup before she spoke about it. They didn't fight but Taeyeon promised that Baekhyun would not get a peaceful life and he believed she would really do the same. 

"Bear with me, please," Baekhyun whispered behind Jaein's ears who was standing stunned in front of him without squeaking a sound and nodded. 

A clear and high voice traveled through the classroom and said," Look who's here? Trying to avoid me? Scared that you might miss out on the fun I'm having with Suga?" Taeyeon sarcastically said it out loud. Baekhyun didn't utter a single word but put his hand in his pocket used another hand to grab the pen on the table and continued to write what was left of by Jaein. Silence filled the room, and lingered with awkwardness. "Byun Baekhyun, what a coward." As soon as Taeyeon said it, Jaein could see his hand with a marker pen tightened and Baekhyun's breath became rough the slightest. 

"You'll never be with anyone else except me. Beg me, maybe I'll keep you as my little boy." Taeyeon snickered and Jaein could feel Baekhyun's body shaking with anger. Jaein knew she never really liked Taeyeon, even before Baekhyun's rejection because of her, but she had never seen such a disgusting side of hers. Jaein knew she had to stay quiet before anything worse happened so she slowly reached out her hand to the back and held Baekhyun's hand that was in his pocket. Baekhyun stiffened when he felt her hand softly grabbing him, and her using her thumb to soothe over the back of his hand. Little did Jaein know Baekhyun's heart never felt so warm and slowly he calmed down.

He could hear Taeyeon's high heel walking nearer to them and Baekhyun tried even harder to shield himself from her. With all the quietness and suddenly Baekhyun growled, " off. Before I ruin all your reputation with you have with all the things you do and said to me." Jaein can hear Teayeon in a big breath and huff angrily. 
"How dare you-" she came close to screaming "I'll give you 3 seconds, LEAVE!" Baekhyun raised his voice even louder at the last word. "Byun Baekhyun, I'll let you regret it!" With that said, Taeyeon clunked her heels and left the classroom. Leaving an overwhelmed Jaein and Baekhyun who were breathing hard from the anger. 

As soon as Taeyeon left, Jaein felt Baekhyun's body slump and without realizing, he had his jaw resting on Jaein's head like he had fought a war and looking for a place to rest. Her first instinct was to move away but Baekhyun moved his hand over her shoulder locking her shoulder in place, another hand was taken out of his pocket and placed over her bare hand that was just holding his earlier. 
 

"Stay... just for a while..." Jaein stood there like a rock at such an approximate distance, that she thought she had forgotten how to breathe but didn't move. Maybe just this time, she thought as she felt Baekhyun pulling her closer to his chest.
 

 

 

Lovelies, at this point I stop breathing HAHAHA

Hope yall enjoy this chapter! Comment and let me know <3