Sappy

Winter Meadow (A WenRene Collection)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seungwan isn’t great at drinking.

Joohyun knows this, as they’re cuddling on her living room floor, leant back against the sofa for support, after Seungwan had insisted that Joohyun’s new promotion at work definitely deserved a small COVID-safe celebration. 

“Pace yourself, Wan-ah.” The older girl guides a slice of shrimp and bulgogi pizza up to her dazed girlfriend, who jumps when the food touches her lips, but blearily takes a bite. “You’ve had too much soju and not enough food.”

Clearly off the planet, Seungwan munches loudly, turning to throw Joohyun a lopsided, pizza-stuffed grin. She blinks hard, as if a sudden thought had obscured her mind. “Hey unnie… I meant to congratulate you on promo— on you getting that promotion… did—did I do that yet?”

Joohyun chuckles. She looks at their coffee table that’s decorated with two combination pizzas with golden cheese crust, corn chips, super ring, cola and a chocolate ganache cake littered with fresh berries that the younger had rushed to bake the minute Joohyun called home with the news. 

She gives her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Yes, Wannie, you have. I love you.”

“I’m also love too you as well a lot, unnie,” Seungwan paws at Joohyun’s sleeve in a mild panic. “But I think… I think the house is moving…”

“Moving?” Joohyun’s eyes scrunch into amused crescents. Also, like every baby drinker, Seungwan can’t tell when she’s drunk until the world is a spinning carousel and all the bathrooms seem to disappear. 

“Yeah, I think I’m just seeing things,” Seungwan slurs, reaching over to wiggle all the HiteJinro bottles till she finds one that isn’t empty. “Might have to take a shot for that, just in case…”

But before she can take another swig, Joohyun’s hand encases hers, gently but firmly replacing the alcohol with a glass of water. When Seungwan grumbles cutely, Joohyun coos sympathetically and rubs her back. “Aigo, Wannie-ah… you need some water.” 

She supervises for a moment before pushing up from the floor, her own vision slightly tilted from the peach buzz of Chamisul. Gravity calls to her twice as loudly, and the floor seems to be made of pillows, but she’s able to shake it off and collect all the cans and bottles they’ve spent the entire evening emptying in her arms. Thank god there’s one responsible adult in this relationship, she thinks as she heads over to the sink, virescent glass clinking softly as she does.

Seungwan follows along like a little puppy, pulling up a stool to the kitchen counter so she can be closeby while Joohyun rinses out the bottles. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter