Chapter 6

It Gets Cold at the Top

The two made their way to the group.

Johnny was nowhere to be found. And Jaehyun was just scrolling on his phone, looking bothered.

Jordan and Mark were still bowling and talking with each other like nothing happened. Kelly went straight to those two and picked up a bowling ball  to play.

Zinnia walked over to Jaehyun, whose head whipped up as soon as she called his name.

"Are you okay Zinnia?" Jaehyun said, now standing up and reaching for her arm.

Zinnia nodded. "Yeah. Kelly helped me out. Did Johnny tell you anything?”

Jaehyun rolled his eyes when Johnny's name was mentioned. "That idiot kept saying nothing happened. So what happened?" 

Zinnia rubbed her arm. "Johnny snapped at me. But... I felt like it was needed. It felt like a wake-up call."

Jaehyun tilted his head in confusion.  "I'm confused. What did he tell you?"

"Don’t worry about it Jaehyun. Just know I'm not mad at him, okay?" Zinnia said, now looking to the floor.

"I hope you know that if he did something wrong. I'm on your side." He said as he rubbed her arm gently.

Zinnia slid his hand off of her. "We all should just head home." 

Jaehyun would lift his eyebrow. "Okay. Whatever you want Zinnia."

Mark, Jordan, and Kelly made their way over to the couple.

"Are yall good? We literally just finished playing the whole game without y’all!" Mark said.

Zinnia cracked a smile. Mark was too adorable to stay mad at.  "No, we not good. Why’d you played the whole game without me boy!" Zinnia said as she pushed his arm a bit.

"Aye, don't talk to my friend like that. Your should've been playing anyways." Kelly chimed in, putting her arm around Mark’s shoulder. Mark laughed and nodded. “Yeah, what she said.”

"Ugh, enough of this! Yall so damn irritating, and I literally just met yall!" Jordan yelled, now crossing her arms and rolling her eyes jokingly.

Everyone laughed.

Zinnia looked over to Jaehyun and saw that he cracked a smile. She liked seeing him happy, she'd admit. Sometimes.


Johnny sent Jaehyun a text saying he went to a bar with a couple of his friends from the soccer team. Jaehyun stuffed his phone in his pocket and left the guy on read. He didn't want to talk to him at the moment.

~

The two boys and three girls decided to eat at IHOP which was only a 5 minutes from the bowling alley. So they made their way promptly.

"Oh yeahhhh! I love me some IHOP!" Jordan said, as she walked in. 

"Same here! It's my favorite restaurant." Mark said. "Just cause its the only food place that’s open when I'm hella hungry at 2am, haha." He continued as they sat at a table.

"Wait, where's Johnny? I didn't even realize he was gone.." Jordan said.

There was an awkward silence for about 10 seconds. Zinnia looked down at her phone, she couldn’t care less about where Johnny was.

"He went to hang with his other friends since he got bored," Jaehyun said, now looking at his phone.

"Bored? I see." Jordan said quietly then rolled her eyes. 

Kelly looked over at Jordan and Zinnia with shocked eyes. Zinnia shrugged her shoulders with a smug face. 

"Anyways! We need a waiter.." Zinnia said, trying to divert the subject.

And with great timing, the waiter came and got all of their orders.

~

Zinnia got out of her car and made her way to Jaehyun’s car that was right behind her own. The group made it back the university. Jaehyun followed Zinnia and Kelly back to their dorm.

As they made it to their front door, Jaehyun gave Kelly a hug. “Bye Kelly, it was nice to meet you.”

Kelly smiled and nodded. “Same here. Now, I’ll give y’all some alone time, hehe.” She said as she slid into the dorm and closed the door.

Jaehyun looked over to Zinnia and smirked. Zinnia rolled her eyes. “I can’t stand her…”

“This night could’ve been better if it was just you and me.” Jaehyun said lowly.

Zinnia chuckled and shook her head. “No, it’s was definitely fun with all of us.”

Jaehyun raised his brow. “You wouldn’t have that situation with Johnny though…”

Zinnia shrugged. “I know, but I’m glad to have such amazing friends to cheer me up.” She said and smiled.

Jaehyun grabbed one of her shoulders and rubbed it gently.  

Friends

“Well, I hope you have a great night Zinnia.” Jaehyun said, now coming closer to her.

“Will I see you soon?” He asked.

Zinnia felt her stomach do a flip. It was such a shame that Jaehyun was so handsome. He looked even more handsome inches away from her face. 

She placed a hand on his chest to slowly move him away from her. “I’ll see you in class. Good night.” Zinnia said as she closed the door behind her.

After closing the door, she leaned on the door and sighed. Her heart felt so heavy. There were so many emotions her soul was feeling. But it was mostly regret. Jaehyun is clearly a great man, why couldn’t she just give him a chance?

It was that damn ego. 

Jaehyun stared at the door and sighed. He probably was standing there, lost in thought about a minute. 

Zinnia decided to look outside her window.

Her heart fell. “He’s still there..”

Zinnia opened the door. 

“Jaehyun…”

Jaehyun looked up in shock. “Sorry! I didn’t realize I was-

Zinnia grabbed his shirt and crashed her lips onto his desperately. 

Jaehyun immediately kissed her back and grabbed her waist to move the inch between them. He would tilt his head and parted her lips with his tongue, then battled his tongue with hers roughly.

Zinnia arms would lock around his neck as she hummed into his lips softly.  He was such a great kisser.

Suddenly, Jaehyun pulled back from the kiss and looked at her with concern.

Zinnia looked up at the man as she tried to catch her breath. “What’s the matter?”


To be continued.