Post-it notes

Post-it notes

There she is, Nayeon smiles from across the room at the goddess who just walked in. Myoui Mina, the girl that Nayeon had the biggest crush on. She loved everything about her, and could spend hours staring at Mina if given the chance. The way her gums showed every time she smiled, her jawline that must’ve been sculpted by angels, the moles creating a perfect constellation on her face. Nayeon could go on forever, and did if her friends let her. 

 

Nayeon first met Mina in her second year, apparently Mina had transferred to her university from Japan. They had one class together at the time, biology, and from the second she laid eyes on Mina she was starstruck. The rest of that semester had been spent admiring Mina from afar, and Nayeon was lucky she had passed the class at all. The following semester they hadn’t had any classes together, and Nayeon was heartbroken at the thought of not seeing Mina. The second week of classes however, she had decided to go study in the quiet floor of the library. She rarely went there since she preferred to study at home, and hated the silence of the quiet floor. It made her a little antsy, but she had been upset at the time and had wanted some peace and quiet. 

 

As soon as she had walked into one of the larger study rooms she had frozen in place, as the girl she had fallen for at first sight was sitting at one of the tables with an open book. Mina was twirling a pencil in her hand as she read, and Nayeon felt her breath being stolen away as Mina tucked her hair behind her ear showing more of her side profile. It was then that Nayeon had vowed to come study on the quiet floor of the library whenever she could. If only for the chance that she would get to see Mina in what was clearly her element. She had chosen a seat at a table diagonal to Mina, so she could sneak glances at her without being caught or accused of anything. 

 

Originally, she only wanted to be able to admire Mina. She never planned on talking or interacting with her, she desperately wanted to but at the same time she was scared of what Mina might think of her. So she had decided she would only watch, that decision had been broken not long after her vow to study in the library every day. Halfway through the semester, Nayeon had watched Mina walk into the library with her hair covering her face. Everything Mina did was graceful, but this time had been different. Mina had almost seemed to be sinking in on herself as she pulled out her books and propped one up in front of her. That hadn’t ever happened before, and Nayeon had honestly gotten a little worried. She had walked by Mina, pretending she was heading for the bookshelves, hoping to see what was going on. She had found Mina with her head buried in her arms and her shoulders shaking, Mina was crying. She was crying and Nayeon had no idea why. 

 

That was when Nayeon changed her decision to not interact with Mina, and began her post-it note journey. That same afternoon she had gone out to an office supplies store and had scoured the post-it notes looking for the perfect color, mint green. Nayeon didn’t know why but she felt the color had suited Mina. The next day she began her mission, every time that Mina would get up and leave her seat to go look for a book, Nayeon would grab one of her pre-written encouraging post-it notes and stick it onto whatever book or notebook was open at the time. 

 

The notes said things like ‘don't give up’ or ‘you've got this’ at first, but gradually Nayeon started making little jokes depending on what Mina was studying. One time, and she had been particularly proud of herself for this joke, Mina had been studying Math and Nayeon had left a note that said ‘Parallel lines have so much in common. It’s too bad they’ll never meet.’ She had been proud because Mina had actually laughed out loud before putting a hand to in shock, a little embarrassed at being loud on the quiet floor. 

 

It’s now almost the end of the semester and Nayeon wasn’t ready for summer, because she wouldn’t get to see Mina all the time. She had accepted that she wasn’t going to talk to Mina aside from the post-it notes, and she was grateful that so many people studied on this floor because Mina had never found out it was her. Nayeon kind of liked being anonymous, she was able to give Mina some joy without having to talk to her. She felt like if she tried to talk to her she would’ve ended up a stuttering mess, Mina’s beauty up close would probably make her melt on the spot. 

 

Nayeon waits patiently for Mina to get up and search for a book, her note today isn’t anything special. She saw Mina struggling yesterday with some subjects, so today’s note was just an encouraging ‘you can do it’ type note. Eventually, Mina stood as gracefully as ever and walked towards the bookshelves. Nayeon was careful though, when she had first started with the notes she had almost gotten caught too many times. Once, she swore Mina had stared directly at her after reading the note and her heart felt like it was going to beat its way out of her chest, but then Mina had continued looking around the room at people and she had felt safer. Currently, she waited until she saw Mina disappear into the maze of books, and then stood to head to Mina’s seat. If Mina disappeared then she would usually be gone long enough for Nayeon to put the note down and head back to her seat and look natural before the girl returned, so she wasn’t as worried. 

 

When she got to Mina’s seat she saw the open notebook, and decided to put the post-it note down there. She risked a few extra seconds to admire Mina’s handwriting. It was beautiful, Nayeon honestly thought it deserved it’s own font, she rarely got to see it as Mina normally closed the notebook when she walked off. Every once in a while though, she would forget and leave it open and Nayeon would get to glance at how pretty the writing was. 

 

Nayeon’s brows furrowed, as she started reading the actual notes. This wasn’t about a class, this was about the post-it notes. Had Mina been guessing who was writing them? She scanned the page frantically until she found what she was looking for. Her heart dropped as she saw her name on the list of suspects, before she had a chance to run or be happy that Mina actually knew her name she sensed someone standing behind her. 

 

“So it was you, I knew it.” Mina said as if she had just cracked an unsolvable case. Nayeon tried to control her breathing, hoping the fear wasn’t showing on her as she turned around to face Mina. She almost died on the spot, this was the closest she had been to Mina, she was standing right in front of her as beautiful as ever. Against her better judgment she takes a moment to better study Mina’s face, knowing she likely won’t get this chance again. Looking at the way her hair frames her face, and how her skin looked so soft. She wanted to reach out and touch it, but forced herself not to. When she finally looks Mina in the eyes, she feels herself get lost in them for a moment, almost mesmerized. Then she realizes that she’s been quiet for too long.

 

“Uh, what?” She laughs nervously. “Someone else asked me to deliver it, it’s not me.” She looks away as she lies, hoping Mina believes her. Mina places a hand on her hip, and tilts her head at Nayeon. It would be cute if it wasn’t so intimidating right now. 

 

“Oh, so you won’t mind if I check your workspace?” Mina asks innocently, and Nayeon can feel her cheeks heating up. “You know, to check if you have the same handwriting or post-it notes.”

 

“I mean, there’s no reason to check. Why would I lie?” Nayeon tried to say as casually as possible, she felt cornered. If Mina were to go check her seat right now it would be obvious that it was her.

 

“Exactly, if it wasn’t you then it would be fine if I checked right?” Mina smiles at her, and even though it’s the gummy smile she adores. Nayeon can’t help but feel a little nervous about it. At a loss for words, Nayeon just nods her head.

 

She has no choice but to trail behind Mina, until she spots the post-it notes and quickly gets ahead of the girl as casually as she can. She hides the notes behind her back, before Mina can notice. Luckily Nayeon’s notebook is closed with only a single sheet of paper being out next to the book she was reading. 

 

“You know, my handwriting is actually really bad. So it’s not me.” Nayeon says as she scribbles on the page in the worst handwriting she can possibly use. She stands and smiles at Mina, as the girl studies the handwriting. At first, Nayeon thinks that’s enough and that Mina will leave, but then the girl reaches for her notebook in an attempt to open it. 

 

Nayeon panics and tries to slam her hand down on the top of the notebook, all her focus going to stopping Mina’s left hand from opening it. By the time she realizes it was a trap, it’s too late. Mina has already grabbed the mint green post-it notes from behind Nayeon’s back and is holding them in her right hand. Mina smiles victoriously, and Nayeon feels herself swooning for just a second. 

 

“If it really wasn’t you, then you wouldn’t have tried to hide this. Would you?” Mina teases at her, arching a brow and waving the post-it notes in her hand. Nayeon’s face burns and she tries to snatch them away, but Mina’s faster than she is and keeps it out of reach. 

 

“Give it back.” Nayeon practically pleads, she feels like she's going to die of embarrassment and the sooner she gets these notes back the sooner she can leave and never show her face in public again. To her dismay, Mina doesn’t comply with the request.

 

“Actually,” Mina starts, suddenly looking a little shy. “I wanted to thank you. Your notes have been really helpful this semester.” Nayeon’s heart threatens to burst at the thanks.

 

“Can I take you out to lunch? As thanks? I want to get to know you better.” Mina continues. Nayeon’s eyes go wide at the suggestion and she tries not to get too excited as she nods her head rapidly as a yes. Mina hands Nayeon the post-it notes, and smiles at her.

 

“When you’re packed up, we’ll go on the date then.” Mina finishes, and Nayeon almost melts to the floor. Smiling so radiantly that she could rival the sun, she packs up as quickly as possible for the date. Her date with Myoui Mina.