Wait for the signal and I'll meet you after dark

Where We Grow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minho looked out of the window. He wished he could open them, but especially on that day they were locked. All the doors leading to the roof were also locked.

 

Writing on paper could be heard in the room. Sometimes you could hear the teacher's footsteps walking around. The exams had been going on for two hours. Sometimes he looked over at his friend, but Key did not return his glances. Concentrated, he was writing and writing.

 

In these hours, Minho's gaze slid everywhere except to the papers in front of him.

 

 

Minho paused as he entered his house. He closed the door slowly behind him. Sounds he couldn't make out were coming from the kitchen. He took off his shoes so as not to give away that he was there. Cautiously, he walked towards the kitchen. His eyes widened as he looked inside.

 

"Oh Minho!"

 

His mother was coming towards him. Minho involuntarily took a step back. What was she doing? Was that...a smile? Minho had to swallow at the sight. She took his hand, his shoulders tensed up once more. He couldn't wrap his fingers around hers, but he couldn't refuse either.

 

She led him into the kitchen where a delicious smell wafted around his nose. His father was already sitting at the dining table. Why wasn't he at work? Looking confused, Minho sat down on the chair opposite him.

 

"Minseok got out of the hospital today." Said his father.

"Minseok was in the hospital?" Minho was puzzled.

"It was a minor concussion. The wound is healing well."

"Oh my God, what happened?"

 

Minho's concern did not escape his parents, but they did not elaborate. His mother cleared .

 

"How did your exams go?" she asked.

 

Minho understood. That was why they were at home. But that didn't make sense to him either. He could have told them in the evening how the exams had gone. And how had they gone?

 

"Fine." Said Minho.

"Good." Yunkyeom sat up a little straighter. Before he continued speaking. "I have a friend at the Hayazaki, he's a teacher there. I rented you a flat near the campus."

"We thought you could spend the summer there and see how you like it?" his mother added.

 

The whole summer? What will happen to Taemin then?

 

Minho could say nothing. He stared fixedly at the black paperweight lying on the table. The reflection of the lamp in it reminded him of the moon, of the night he had spent with Taemin. Could he even live a whole summer apart from Taemin? He didn't even want to think about it.

No.

He couldn't leave now. He couldn't just leave Taemin alone like that again.

 

Minseok's words flashed through his mind.

 

'It's really best if this place no longer exists. Even for you, no, especially for you '

 

They want to chop it down in my absence.

 

Minho's breathing grew louder, his eyes narrowed. He pressed his lips together. What was he supposed to do?

 

Slowly, he nodded.

 

"Okay."

 

 

Key was surprised when he saw Minho's messages. But the fact that his friend contacted him also reassured him. So close to the summer holidays, knowing that they wouldn't see each other every day at school, had him a little worried. Minho had put oddities on his habits that Key couldn't interpret. But if Minho wanted to meet with him, he must have been doing something right. 

 

He waved at Minho as he saw the taller boy walking towards him.

 

"Why did you want to see me so badly?" he tried to sound nonchalant, but pure curiosity had set in Key.

 

Minho took a deep breath as he stopped in front of Key.

 

"You always wanted to go to Hayazaki, didn't you?"

"Yeah?"

"You can spend the whole summer there!"

"Minho what-"

 

Key's eyes had almost fell out of his face. The Hayazaki was a prestigious university with many courses of study, including photography and art. Of course, that would have bee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter