Chapter 2

The Past Catches Up

Taeyeon's POV

 

I had been called to the National Building only once, for my security clearance. Same for Yuri. So we were both nervous. I mean, granted, we knew why we were here, but we had to pretend we didn't. There would be serious security risks if anybody found out.

"Director Kim, Ms Kwon, they will see you now" An aide said.

We entered a conference room, where the high-ranking members of NSC were there. We then noticed a guy from the feed was there as well. Remy, I recalled.

"Please have a seat"

We obeyed. They gave us a paper.

"Per Yoona's request, we will temporarily upgrade your security clearances for a new project. Ms Kwon, your company will be handling our latest project, named Code Red. We have done our own background and it seems very promising. She and Mikael, another tech person, have agreed to give you the necessary base code for the project. Yoona has given praise to your engineering skills. This transport contract will revolutionize the government and even the private sector. If this project succeeds, our transport system will be best ever in the world. Director Kim, with your computer capabilities, we will leave it to you to keep this as secret as possible. This project is projected to be worth about a half of a billion dollars."

We were both stunned. I noticed they called Yoona by her first name. Some relationship was there. But I focused on the paper before me first.

"I am here to represent you both, per Yoona's request. I have looked it over carefully and the agreement will benefit both sides completely. But it is up to you to accept" Remy said.

We both read it and seemed satisfied. We signed and were given copies.

"Your upgraded security clearances will take effective immediately, until an unspecified time. We hope to see good things in the future"

 

Yuri's POV

 

We left and the guy followed us.

"I am also here to deliver this to you. This contains the base you need for the contract" He handed me a USB.

I took it, slipping it into my pocket.

"Ah, also this"

He produced two laptops for us.

"These are very secure. You will use these two only for this project. And only these two. Everything you need is here"

"You seem to know Yoona well" I said.

He just smiled.

"For another time, perhaps. I must go meet her now. I wish you good luck"

A car arrived and he got in. We watched him go.

"Weird?"

Taeyeon confirmed and we both went back to our place. Taeyeon opened her secure laptop out and made sure to scan first before we inserted the USB.

"This is amazing" She murmured.

I agreed. The base was incredible. The programming required was way advanced. We saw prototypes.

"I knew Yoona was good, but this level" Taeyeon had an admiration tone in her voice.

I opened mine up and saw ours were connected to each other so we could migrate each other's screen if we wanted to.

"This transport system...it's the future" I mumbled.

She looked at my screen.

"These are prototypes not just for airplanes, jets, but also air buses, a new transport system. I had heard of projects in works to go to space and perhaps having people inhabit there"

I saw the speeds.

"These are designed to go very fast. Not your average bus speed. If we actually manage to bring this to life, we're talking about being able to go other countries in less than a day, perhaps even a few hours, not having multiple layovers or over a day to go there"

I was pumped for this challenge. Taeyeon and I got to work.

 

Remy's POV

 

I met the others at the private airstrip. They were still loading the stuff we would need.

"Yoona?"

Mikael nodded to inside the jet and I joined her.

"I gave them what you requested"

She just hummed in response, seemingly occupied. I waited her to finish whatever she was doing, knowing better than to disturb her in this zone. I looked over the very few intel we had. It was barely a feather. Was this bait and we would be ambushed? But we would have to take the chance. If not for us, then for Yoona. We had almost died at the hands of her. And just for that, we would hunt her for the rest of our lives. Our history with Yoona would have to be saved for another time.

"Ready?"

I noticed her finally getting focused.

"Ready or not, this is our chance" She said and I smiled lightly.

Ever the unfazed one. She always kept calm even during stressful situations. What made her a good leader. I certainly hoped we would be able to get closure or some answers...Airi...your betrayal was confusing and gave us anger as well. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Taeyeon's POV

 

Yuri and I were abosrbed into this completely. Sunny understood, which I was grateful for. But Yoona had complete confidence and I didn't want to let her down. Truthfully, our relationship wasn't that good. Yoona had confessed to Yuri, but she was going out with Sica. The two had grown wary and our families as well. Thus, we hadn't spoken to her in a couple of weeks.

I had my suspicions, after thinking about it more closely, that the vigilante could maybe have been Yoona...but that was crazy, right? But we didn't really know her past. Her grandfather had introduced us to her about five years ago. While the rest of us were childhood friends, Yoona had only recently become part of us. Nothing had been shared about her past before us.

She was crazy smart, we knew. And this technology was just a confirmation. My agents were still working on the scene. Pretty much, the whole drug ring was dead but reports had to be filed before it could be officially closed.

I looked at Yuri, who was completely immersed. She did love challenges, and Yoona would have surely known that.

 

After awhile, we needed a break to refresh our minds and headed downstairs. Everyone knew we were working on something and they were curious, as I would have been in their position, but there were clear rules. But they seemed to be immersed into something themselves.

"Guys?" I asked, sitting down next to my baby.

They were looking at some kind of private live feed. We saw only the older guy from before.

"You're clear, Zephyr. Report when you can"

There as a knock on the door outside the room he was. The door opened and in came the leader of the NSC. We were surprised.

"Any news?"

"They always go dark before a mission. This is no different" Kashi tensely said.

"True. But this is history"

The other guy just sighed, looking at the screens, which were dark.

"I've seen them grow up and see them experience things not even adult should, let alone mere children, Pierce. Deep down, I wished this would have stayed buried forever"

"Kashi, eventually, we need to face our fears and closure is needed"

"They spiraled down so deep, especially...Yoona"

"You want to protect them, but this is something no one can run away from. The past will always catch up. Believe me, I've read their reports and although they can't contain everything, just reading what I did, even made me shocked. But they will do this with or without our support" Pierce said.

"I know"

The screens and the two turned to look.

"General, we're streaming through a couple of photos"

The two got them moments later, and were shocked.

"This is..."

The face on the screen grimly nodded.

"Keep checking in when you can. We'll work on our end to figure how he plays into this"

I knew that picture as well. Anyone in the intelligence community would. He was on the Most Wanted list. But he had been last seen several years ago. No update. He went dark. Some assumed he had died. But others thought he had merely gone off the grid.

It just raised more questions. We never really knew Yoona. She didn't share her past with us...her grandfather merely said she had been away for awhile. I had seen her in the gym at times and her skills were uncanny. Seemed military, but other styles as well. Sometimes, I thought I caught her reliving some kind of memory. She brushed it off, assuring nothing was wrong. But I knew the signs of PTSD. After all, I employed agents.

Judging by this, she seemed to be ex-military. But she must have been just a child then...and I remembered the video feed from yesterday. Something about five years ago...

Working back at my secret computer, I tried to look, but it said no database found. I frowned, wondering what the hell was going on.

 

*******

Hello everyone, I apologize for going missing. Days flied by so fast, I didn't realize I was gone for a few months already...I moved and got a new job, so things have been hectic. I will make appearances.

I loved that SNSD came back...I was so happy to see them on stage again as one. I wish they would have a tour! But I will take what I can get...seeing them on shows brought me back and they will always be my favorite group.