Chapter 1

The Past Catches Up

Taeyeon's POV

 

"Get down" I yelled.

I was the director of the agency called MDX. My family had been directors of this company since...forever. We were a private agency but often helped local police and national as well. We had a reputation for the being best. Hyoyeon, my twin, preferred dancing and had her own studio, which had a stellar reputation. I supported her as did our family. I was keen more to this type of work, especially with computers. My agents were very loyal. They were mostly ex-military who couldn't transition well into civilian life, so I gave them another chance and they paid me back in loyalty. Being the director doesn't mean I wouldn't be out in the field.

"DIRECTOR!!"

I had zoned out, which was not very good. A bullet grazed me before I got pushed to the side. I looked up at the person who had saved my life, but he/she was already gone. If it wasn't for that person, I would be dead. 

"Are you okay?"

One of my men rushed to my side and I nodded, wincing at the graze. He started first aid kit. I made sure everyone had training in medical as well, or the basics to give enough time to get treatment. I noticed the firing had stopped.

"Is it over?"

We had been pursuing a drug ring per the police's request.

"You need to see this, Director"

Another guy gestured to the destroyed site. Bodies were lying around, but none of us, thankfully.

"Whoever that person was, they took out the enemies like they were nothing. It was surreal, like something from the movies"

I was very curious to know who that person was. Taking out an entire drug ring was no easy feat.

 

Yoona's POV

 

I stood from a distance, watching Taeyeon and her agents take in the site and start to process. I knew it was risky of me to interfere, but I couldn't let Taeyeon die. It wasn't like her to zone out, especially during a fight. I had learned there was a massive raid, probably the biggest in history. Police and her agency had been called and I had unintentionally followed them, feeling uneasy this time around, for some reason.

"Unnie, you're needed at the office" Hyuna, my secretary, texted me.

I got into my car and drove back to my office. I occupied the top floor of the prime real estate in the city. The others occupied the floor below.

"Unnie, a military person, is here for you"

I went into my office and saw General Kashi. Before, he had overseen me and my team growing up.

"This isn't a social call, is it?" I asked, sitting down.

"I'm afraid not" He said, sliding a picture to me.

"This was taken a week ago. At the Czech Republic. It's grainy but.."

I stared at the picture. It may have been five years ago, but deep down, I knew it was her.

"We've tried enhancing, but this is the best we got"

He paused as I continued to staring at the picture.

"I know what happened that time. I had debated on telling you about this, but I couldn't do that to you. I've also notified the others...they are flying in"

"Any intel on the ground?" I asked quietly.

"None. We've tried reaching out to every asset possible, but nothing. Not even sure if she is still there either"

"I want the NSC summoned"

"I figured as much. The National Security Council will be gathered in a few hours. Your unit should be here by then as well" He stood up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Taeyeon!!!"

I came home and Sunny stopped short of hugging me when she noticed the bandage on my arm.

"Just a graze, I assured her"

She frowned and I pecked her lips. I saw everyone was already home. I grabbed some wine and sat as well. I told them what had happened.

"Vigilante?"

"I don't know. Whoever it was, they knew exactly what they were doing. And nobody saw their face. Couldn't even tell if it was a girl or guy. Moved too fast. It was like a blur" I said.

They seemed interested and so was I. We the TV to watch some news, but then it suddenly made a static noise and it was weird, but then I saw Yoona. A private live feed?? I glanced at the others and they frowned, but didn't say anything. I decided to play it out. We saw she was at the highly, restricted, National Building. it was very hard to get in there, with tight security, unless you were invited. She was sitting, holding a picture, it seemed. An older gentleman, wearing military uniform, sat down next to her.

"Nervous?"

She didn't answer

"Didn't think even you could get fazed" He attempted a smile.

"Sir"

He looked up and saw extremely handsome guys and gorgeous girls. 

We knew of them. The wealthiest in the west. But what were they doing here?

"They are ready for you" Someone opened the door.

We were all stunned to see the whole National Security Council gathered. Unless there was a war, or an extremely grave situation, they were rarely all gathered. There was nothing on the news, or at least, reported. So what was going on?

"It seems we are in the same circumstances as five years ago. General Kashi has already briefed us about the possible sighting. If you choose to pursue this, then we will not stop you. However, we cannot guarantee anything if you are captured or killed. You are no longer part of the military, despite helping on multiple occasions since leaving"

"We know the consequences. But we have to pursue this lead, no matter how slim. We've been hunting for her since that time" Mikael said.

"Have you spoken to the British?"

"Yes, they have also offered full cooperation. They are, no doubt, searching for the same answers are you. They said they will trust you"

"I'd also like to request something" Yoona finally spoke.

"Go ahead, captain"

"Because of this, I'd like to get authorization to approve Kwon Yuri's and Kim Taeyeon's security clearance to be upgraded, at the least, temporarily"

There were murmurs.

"Captain... surely you know that--"

"I'm well aware. However, during my absence, they will take over what I am working on. Access will be restricted. If, however, you think this is an unusual circumstances, which it is, I know there is a pending government contract to fulfill transport. If you will award that to the Kwons, then there will be reason for the upgrade. Taeyeon has skills with computer, and she can help keep it protected"

"The technology needed is far than what they have"

"Yoona and I have been working on a certain technology. We are willing to hand it over to the Kwons for approval of this contract"

Mikael brought out a tablet and pass it to the leader of the Council.

"Very well. We will announce that the Kwons will have been awarded the contract. Regarding the security clearance, we will not approve of the disclosure of you and your team, Captain. That is of utmost secret. We will give them just enough to fulfill this contract"

They were dismissed.

"Mikael, see if you can contact any sources for the ground there"

"I'll get a private jet fueled and ready" Kaien said.

"I'll get necessary supplies" Erika and Luka said.

"I've brought necessary things since I had figured this" Neo said.

"Legally...well, hell, we've been through worse" Remy half smiled.

"I'll help Mikael" Reo said.

"We'll gather at the air strip in twelve hours" Yoona said.

They all dispersed.

The video feed ended there. We were all hella confused as to what was going on. Then, Yuri and I received a call to come to the National Building the next day for a meeting.