Never Enough

Unexpected

Unfortunately, baby Yeji eventually disappeared, replaced with the normal Yeji. The girls had a lot of fun catching their leader up on how cute she was seeing as Yeji’s memory of the past few days were foggy. She couldn’t believe her eyes as she scrolled through pictures of herself… as a toddler. It was beyond odd but how could she deny anything with so much proof?

 

Yeji came back just in time too, their mini break was over and it was schedules back to normal. Yeji was slightly nervous, fearful of messing up like last time but she pushed all thoughts to the back of her mind. She was Itzy’s leader, their role model, there’s no time for her to be doubting herself right now.

 

Morning arrived faster than she wanted, Yeji groaning as she blindly patted around for her phone to turn off her alarm. She always hated waking up at 5 am, despite having done so for years now. After allowing herself a few minutes to wake up, Yeji went around the bedrooms, making sure that everyone was awake. Once she was sure she began to get ready herself m getting dressed and packing anything she’d need for dance practice.

 

Yeji gave herself a small pep talk in the bathroom, trying as hard as she could to remain a positive attitude. It didn’t really work but she still tried to convince herself that it did. 

 

———

 

Moments later a car came to pick up the members and drive them to practice. They took the same route each time, Yeji already knowing certain turns meaning they were closer to the studio. Her nerves had came back again but this time they seemed to be more noticeable as Yuna, who was sat beside the leader, decided to check in with her.

 

“Huh? Oh! Yeah, yeah, I’m fine don’t worry” Yeji said. Yuna didn’t look convinced in the slightest but she decided not to press any further, settling for holding Yeji’s hand and squeezing it reassuringly.

 

5 minutes later and they were at the studio. Their choreographer was already waiting in the practice room, greeting them as the girls came in. Their choreographer was lovely, really, but she was an entirely different woman when ‘in the zone’ which was why many kpop idols feared her, though her strictness is also why Itzy’s dances were so perfect all the time, any little mistakes or slip ups gone over again and again during dance practice.

 

As always, they begun with stretching and a few warm ups. Yeji was afraid that somehow she would mess those up. It was only morning and the poor leader was already exhausted with the mental battle she was fighting.

 

“Alright, you guys seem all warmed up so lets start practicing, okay? We’ll have a break in about an hour like usual” The girls nodded along, getting into position. Yeji tried to calm her pounding heart, scared she may have a heart attack if this continued.

 

———

 

The choreography sighed heavily. She was annoyed.

 

“Yeji-ah, is there something wrong with your sight? Why are you making such rookie mistakes?” Yeji couldn’t answer, only looking down and nervously playing with her hands. She wished she were anywhere but here right now. “Yah! I’m talking to you! This happened last time too, can you even be an idol making mistakes like this?”

 

“I…I’m sorry, I’ll do better” the choreographer huffed, the girls repositioning again. They shot worried looks to one another, everyone now noticing how Yeji was acting off.

 

Everyone collectively winced as Yeji made another mistake. She tensed as the music abruptly cut off. “You make the same mistake a thousand times! It’s like you’re doing it on purpose to annoy me”

 

“I-I’m sorry, I’ll learn faster!” Yeji yelled.

 

“Oho, you’re raising your voice at me now? How can you be the eldest, and the leader but have no respect?” 

 

“Um…c-could we maybe take a break?” Suggested Ryujin. The choreographer agreed, exiting the room to get fresh air. 

 

“When I come back, you better not make that mistake again” she said, closing the door behind her.

 

Finally Yeji’s waterworks burst open, the leader dropping to the floor as she cried hysterically. All the members surrounded her in an instant, trying their best to console her. “I’m never enough… I’m so bad at dancing… Ryujin, you should take my place as leader”

 

“What? No! That’s not true at all, you’re the most responsible and none of us could lead as good as you do, right guys?” The other three nodded in unison. “And you’re not bad at dancing, today’s just not your day and that’s fine… our choreographer doesn’t need to be… such a about it”

 

“Ryujin unnie is right, you’re the best leader and great at dancing, you learn the quickest out of all of us” Chaeryeong said, rubbing Yeji’s back.

 

*POOF*

 

Suddenly, a puff of smoke blasted from where Yeji was on the floor, the force pushing the members back. Opening their eyes again, they noticed the pile of clothes in Yeji’s place which could only mean one thing…

 

“Yejinnie?” Ryujin called. Sure enough baby Yeji had returned, trying to cover herself with the shirt her older self had been wearing. Yuna quickly went into one of the member’s bags, pulling out a pair of toddler clothes. She had and odd gut feeling that she’d need them and luckily she was right.

 

———

 

Arrangements were made, allowing Ryujin to be dismissed to go home and take care of Yeji. It was too strange to explain why the leader was suddenly in a completely different stage of life now so the choreographer decided to shut up for once and not say anything, awkwardly nodding at the two once they left, the other members staying behind to keep practicing even though they also wanted to go home and check on Yeji.

 

———

 

The same car came to pick the two up. Embarrassed and upset, Yeji tried to hide her small form within Ryujin’s oversized t-shirt. Ryujin looked down at the bump in her shirt, smiling softly and Yeji’s hair through the fabric. The toddler ended up falling asleep on Ryujin’s stomach, resulting in her having to be carried awkwardly inside but Ryujin managed nonetheless.

 

She set Yeji’s small, still asleep, form on the couch, leaving upstairs to go and change. She cane back down, noticing Yeji had woken up and was looking around confused and upset. It only took a few head pats and cheek kisses to soothe her back to sleep again, Ryujin deciding to move them both to the bed in her room instead. 

 

Her phone had been buzzing nonstop and upon unlocking it she noticed it was all texts from the girls, asking if she were okay.

 

Chaerry [07:45am] : Is Yeji okay?

 

Ryu [07:46am] : Yeah, she fell asleep♡︎

 

LiLi [07:46am] : I hate our choreographer..

 

ShinYu [07:47am] : same… she keeps talking bad about unnie

 

Ryu [07:48am] : Really? What a … just bare it for now, you guys should get back to practice 

 

LiLi [07:48am] : I’ll try, take care of Yejinnie❤︎︎

 

Ryu [07:49am] : I will~ Good luck with practice unnie!