(3)

One Foot in the Mouth, Two in the Boot

     Fridays really are the best. No matter how awful the day itself goes, you can always say, "Well it's Friday." And bam!! All your troubles are dust. You know the weekend's coming up, and for a whole 48hrs, you're on yours. And I've never needed some me time as badly as the past two days.

     That's why when Mom says we need to go shopping tomorrow, I tell her we should go today. Now in fact. And here we are. Some noisy shopping center, where everyone thinks they have the right of way and the produce aisles are offensively cold. But hey, it's Friday. 

     "I need to order some pastrami for your father's luncheon," Mom says, pointing in the direction of the Pharmacy. "Before you start, go pick up your sister's prescription," she says, handing me a list of all the stuff I need to get. We split up to half the shopping load for a quicker trip, the whole reason for me being here. Makes life easier, you know. And as she likes to remind me, that's why I'm here. So.

 

     I'm doing what Mom asked, I swear. I just left her after all. There's no need to be distracted by flashy packages promising tasty heaven. Besides, I can just come back and pick up a bag when I'm done, right? 

     Focus. Focus, Nayeon. 

     Except the aisle ahead on my right has just one bag of the limited edition puff chocolate snacks left, sitting far back on the shelf. By some miracle, this one bag was passed over and here I am. I've been trying to get my hands on one of them since Dikona announced their promotion, but they always sold out so quickly. I gave up on hoping for just a taste of the spicy cinnamon flavor last week after they said they were discontinuing it. But here, now… Damn, how'd I get so lucky?

     Honestly, it kind of looks hidden, and if you were standing too close you'd miss it completely unless you bent down to check. Or if you know what you're looking for.

     When I stop in front of the shelf, my cheeks actually hurt from how hard I'm smiling. I reach down to claim my prize, but it's not glossy plastic I wrap my hand around.

     On any other occasion, I could admit that fighting over a bag of empty calories would be childish and a waste of time. I am, myself, a mature young adult after all and I am very precise with what I eat. And there is also the fact that whoever's hand I'm holding right now probably got here first, meaning they were closer to it. And I would normally allow for this moment to pass without further thought or action. In fact, this is the type of thing I'd sit back and watch while calling the active participants—people who know good and well they were in public but refuse to act accordingly— idiots while silently thanking them for the free show. 

     That being said, there is no other occasion and there's no possible way this person saw that bag before I did.

     We slide our hands back at the same time, leaving the puff bag where it sits until we hash this out. I take a deep breath to collect myself before meeting this stranger, planning to respectfully explain to them why they should back the hell off and go look for some other midnight snack.

     Of course, that doesn't happen though. I mean, I barely manage not to swallow my tongue as I choke on air. And seriously, I must have burned down a village or set fire to an orphanage in a past life for the universe to despise me like this.

     "Um…" says the goddess of my dreams while I try to get control of myself. Once I manage to stop hacking all over her, all I can do is stare like my jaw was just dislocated.

     She clears , puts her hands behind her back, and looks up at me through long eyelashes. The complete picture of innocence. "Hi, Nayeon."

     At the sound of her voice, my mouth shuts and I stand up straighter. I can already feel that oily tendril of panic worming its way through me, but I refuse to let it freak me out. We're not freaking out. Mental pep talk. Okay, no need to panic, this is just normal interaction stuff. Nothing crazy happening here. 

     A single thought has me whipping my head around and then over Momo's shoulders. She gives me a weird look, especially when I sigh in relief, but I had to be sure Minatozaki isn't close by.

     Good, I'm safe. Now, what is the custom for things like this? Right, greetings. 

     I bow low at the waist and cross one arm behind my back, the other comes up across my chest. "Good afternoon Momo-shi."

     I hear a little chuff. It sounds like a laugh. I'll take it. If Momo is seriously laughing at my lame , then… maybe, just maybe,  we could start over. Without the pressure of the rest of the school bearing down on me or even my closest friends being super judgmental, I could do this. It's just Momo. She's just a girl. No need to be nervous, besides she talked to me first. That must mean she doesn't hate me. It's fine. This is fine. I'm doing this. I at least want to see where this goes. If she doesn't hate me after all, this could be my second chance. At the very least I could change whatever image she has of me.

     When I start to rise, something catches my attention. I didn't think I was so close to her before, but now… 

     Momo's chest is right in my face. Sure there's some space, but it's level to my eye line. And for some reason, I can't seem to keep going or stop starting. God, I , but I mean… What? I'm not a for noticing, right? Just a little tiny peak. Everyone alive knows Momo has an amazing body and is ridiculously fit. (She has a thing about posting her workout videos.) It's public knowledge. So I can't be pressed for acknowledging the facts, can I? Besides, what's a little admiration? 

     But… 

     Goddamn. Momo's s are huge. Why has no one ever pointed that out before? Because it'd be damn rude and hella creepy. That's why. But apparently, my brain can't process that, so I just stare. And stare. And...

     Fuuuuuuuuuu

     I slow-blink but don't move to straighten or look away. I can't help it. It's like I'm actually stuck. Aware of my actions but unable to break out of this trance on my own.

      "Um, Nayeon…"

      Crap

     My spine snaps to attention like a slap bracelet ruler. Somewhere I find the nerve enough to look Momo in the eyes, but I know what's coming. I gulp and wait for her to chew me out, but she just stares back at me.

      I lose my nerves and turn away. So much for second chances. If she doesn't do it, I just know she'll tell and Sana will finish the job.

     Kill me. Kill me now. An image of her volume and the delicate outline of her bra flash in my mind, and I have to fight viscously to smother the urge to smile. My lips pull into a frown at the effort. Despite my thoughts. Worth it. They were nice.

     "Thanks, I guess…"

     I whip my head around so fast my neck cracks. Wait did I just—

     Momo moves her hands from behind her back and rests them on her hips. Somehow that smirk returns, but there's a sharper edge to it now. "So. You were just staring at my chest," she states.

     . I don't know how, but by some kind of strength, I manage not to unleash the wailing going on inside my head. I think I might be having a meltdown.

     "I-No-You… I mean I hadn't… just um— you see I… Well, that is to say, I um… I'm so sorry," I ramble, no longer able to look directly at her. I don't know how the I'm still standing but as my knees shake, I find that the idea of curling into a ball right here and never getting up again has more appeal than crawling into my bed after an exhausting day ever has.

     I bow again and rise instantly this time, spinning on my heels, to book it to anywhere that isn't near Hirai Momo. But she jumps in front of me, unsatisfied with allowing me to make this undignified retreat.

     "You're not actually just gonna creep and run, are you? You know someone might just get the wrong impression." Her smirk is out in full force and it truly feels like a punishment. For all I know she could be getting off on my humiliation. Though it doesn't seem like that's the case. It's more like she's genuinely amused by the situation, instead of completely grossed out. How is that possible? 

     I stand there dumbstruck, mouth wide open. Her features soften a little and she gives me a cheeky tilted grin and gently pushes my chin shut. I swallow audibly and wait for her to carry out some form of justice. I don't really know what I'm expecting. For her to call security, the cops, or worse— Sana. But she just stands back and waits for me to respond. But I am so far beyond knowing what the hell is happening right now. I stutter and stumble and come up with zilch.

     "I, um… I… I …"

     "Okay, let's start over," she says, giving me some space. Then she lays her hand over her chest. "Me, Momo; you Nayeon." She points at me."We go to school together, remember?" 

     She says this slowly like otherwise I wouldn't be able to follow, and honestly part of me wants to smack her for that. Instead, I just nod like a compliant weeb unable to do much more than follow simple commands.

     "Good," she says next, taking an expectant step forward. "Hi, Nayeon. Now you say…"

     "Hi, Momo." I can't look her in the eye, my voice quivers, and I still want to curl up and die, but somehow it's enough. She smiles satisfied with my reply while a complete wave of horror finally reaches the island I was trying to escape to.

     Seriously, maybe Jeongyeon's right. I should go see someone about what the heck is wrong with me.

     "Momo I'm so sorry. I can't believe I just did that," I say with utter sincerity, heart in my eyes. I can't let her just brush this one off, I want to take responsibility. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I swear I wasn't trying to—

     "Stare at my chest," she says conversationally. Totally unbothered. 

     I flinch though. Am I the only one who's uncomfortable? How is that possible? "Ye-yeah. That-uh… That was a mistake."

     "What about in the cafeteria?'' she says with a little head tilt, crossing her arms, enhancing the volume. Maybe this is a punishment. I look away again but keep sincerity in my expression and body language. 

     "That was an accident too. I swear. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to say that."

      "Then what did you mean to say," she asks and I look back at her. She's smirking again like she knows exactly what she's doing, but if this is how she wants me to pay, then I'll take it. It's only fair after all.

     "I… I wasn't going to say anything."

     "How come?"

     I flinch again, my eyes shifting. 'Cause, that should have been my inside voice. I look at her expectantly, but it seems I managed to think that to myself this time. 

     "Because I would have just ended up saying something stupid and embarrassing," I say out loud.

     Momo raises her eyebrows in question like the irony of my statement is lost on me. It is not.

     "Yeah… ah—" I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "I guess I did that anyway. But I mean something less, ual; though in hindsight that probably would have been better."

     Momo gives a little giggle and then asks, "Why?"

     I freeze. "Wha— you mean wh-why something stupid would be better than something… ual? Or… why I said something like that, to begin with?"

     She does another eyebrow raise like it's an answer.

     "Right," I start unsure where I'm going, but figure I better say something. "I um, well I just wasn't thinking clearly. I… ah. I was out of it. That's not an excuse, but—"

     "Why were you out of it?" she asks nonchalantly. Like she's not asking me to cut open my chest and show her my heart. Yeah, not gonna happen. 

     "I was just nervous," I say, a half-truth. 

     "What made you nervous?" She persists, lowering her arms. The intensity of her smirk dies down too.

     It can't be helped. She's looking at me with so much expectation I'm starting to chafe in the non-fun way, and my thoughts are blanking. I say the first honest thing that pops into my head, and I wish God would just end it now.

     "You."

     She looks genuinely confused, and it's cute in a dumb kind of way but also holds the expectation of a question, and suddenly I'm too flustered to function again.

     "Ah… You're just…," my hands flail high in the air to represent my point. "…and I'm… so," I twirl my finger downward, pointing at the ground. "... you know?" I ask hands out, beseeching.

     When she looks even more confused at my terrible explanation, I try harder. Ultimately, I just end up rambling again.

     "And I couldn't believe you were talking to me, so I just got stuck on one setting. Which apparently was teen awkward. And you smell so good. Like what even is that, sunshine and morning mist? God, I need whatever spray you use."

     "It's just lotion," Momo interjects. She looks like she wants to ask something; goes as far as to raise her hand, but I can't stop.

     "Well, still. And you're so pretty and your teeth are like the most proportional things I've ever seen, like who was your orthodontist? Because I swear normal braces do not do that, and if you tell me they're natural, I'm gonna flip. And"

     "Nayeon, stop," she says in an authoritative voice that, honestly, doesn't sound like her. Regardless, my mouth stops instantly. "What are you talking about?"

     "I don't even know," I groan, bringing my hands up to cover my eyes. "See this is what I meant when I said stupid and embarrassing. I face the shelves, positive I've officially turned off the one person in my entire school who practically gets along with everyone. Except… not?

     "Yeah that was pretty embarrassing," Momo says. Her tone is too light to be disgusted, so I chance a look at her reaction, finding she has on that one-sided smirk; my heart beats like crazy.

     I seriously don't know how to deal with this, besides I can feel my vocal cords warming up to say something truly mortifying. 

     I clear my throat and shake off this growing heat enough to say, "Um, I should go."

     Her frown is what I've been anticipating this entire time, but I'm confused as to why she would be displaying it now. I would have thought that she'd be the one trying to get away from me, but… whatever. I still need to leave.

     "Before I say or do something more…  questionable," I say to cover my tracks, just in case I offended her.

     "Weren't you gonna take these? She grabs the puff bag and holds it out to me, but I just keep backing up. 

     "Uh no, you can have them. And I'm really sorry about earlier and before in the lunchroom. I'm not usually such a , but ah… yeah sorry. Bye." I duck out of the aisle before she can say anything else, power-walking to an unknown destination. 

     Man, that was terrible, another trauma to add to the vault. At least I only made an out of myself in front of her this time. But Jihyo's right, it is worse. 

     Ugh.

     If that interaction has taught me anything it's that I should definitely stay away from Momo. I just hope the universe doesn't have any more surprises. 

~~~