Confessions

Clumsy Hearts

Author's Note: Alternate title: Love Guru part 2! Pray for Taemin everyone ♡

 

In the weeks after their – ehem, practice, Jongin became heavily invested in Taemin’s crush. (After nearly kissing Taemin – again – he felt like he deserved to know who he was helping sink a real kiss with his best friend.) Who he was, what he was like, how he looked. Jongin constantly begged Taemin to show him pictures, but Taemin refused. Nor would the older say a word about the guy, remaining tight-lipped despite Jongin’s endless badgering.

“Come on, please,” Jongin whined, poking Taemin with his foot as they laid on opposite ends of the couch one evening. Though it was summer, they each huddled under their own blankets to escape the cool of their air conditioning – something Taemin was hugely thrilled by. After years of suffering through the heat, he was finally getting to experience the joy of constant cool air, and he would always run to stand in front of it whenever he came in from the hot outdoors.

“No,” Taemin replied simply, not looking up from his book.

“Just one picture! I just wanna see what your type is, I’m curious.” This time, Taemin glanced over the top of his book, doe eyes looking entirely unfazed by Jongin’s pleas. So Jongin tried another tactic – pouting. It was something Taemin did sometimes and seemed to be pretty effective; but when Jongin did it, Taemin just stared a moment longer and then disappeared behind his book once more.

Jongin sulked.

“Alright, fine,” he said after a few minutes of silence, Taemin obviously not interested in caving. “Will you at least tell me about how it’s going with him?”

“What do you mean?”

“Have you talked to him any more about it?” Jongin prodded.

No, Jongin. I told you, he’s straight,” Taemin reminded him firmly, keeping his book in front of his face.

Sitting up, Jongin grabbed the book and pushed it out of the way. “So!? Who says he wouldn’t make an exception for you? You wouldn’t know ‘cause you haven’t asked.” He raised a challenging eyebrow, and Taemin stared him down for a moment. The older’s cheeks were tinted pink, evidently not entirely unaffected by the conversation.

“Would you?”

What? “Would I what? Make an exception for you?” Jongin wondered, not having anticipated this response.

“Yes. You’re straight. Would you date another guy, just because he liked you?” Taemin shot back at him, the look in his eyes somewhat… intimidating. He was trying to take control of the conversation, and doing a pretty good job of it too.

“I…” Jongin had to think about his answer. If he said no, it wouldn’t give Taemin much hope for his crush. But if he said yes, wouldn’t that be weird? Before he could overthink it, he decided to just be honest. “I mean, probably not. But I might for you, since you’re so cute.” He winked, trying to make it clear that he was teasing and not serious.

The fire in Taemin’s eyes seemed to be extinguished, moving instead to burn in his cheeks which quickly went from pink to red. Taemin always got shy about compliments, but apparently this had really struck a chord. “Ha ha,” he replied weakly, trying to lift his book again. Jongin refused to allow him to hide away, keeping the book firmly pushed down.

“Are you even sure he’s straight? Maybe he swings both ways,” Jongin pestered on, making a face when Taemin shook his head. “You don’t know. You should talk to him about it. Or just… talk about gay people, see how he reacts.”

“Yeah, sure,” Taemin mumbled. “‘Hey, what are your thoughts on gay people? Just curious since I’m one and all…’”

Jongin rolled his eyes at how little he was willing to even try, and sat back. “Not like that. More casual, don’t mention yourself. Or better yet, be really bold and just ask him if he’d be interested in a date!”

This suggestion made Taemin blink several times in quick succession. “Who do you think I am, Jongin? I don’t have the confidence to do anything like that…”

Oh yeah. This was Taemin he was talking about. The guy struggled to hold a conversation with people, unless he was close with them. (Jongin had learned this himself, remembering how quiet Taemin had once been around him.)

“Right, you just need practice,” Jongin decided, figuring that was the best way to build his confidence. He sat up again, ready to help.

“Is that your solution to everything?”

“Pretty much, yeah.” Poking Taemin with his foot again, Jongin stuck his tongue out. “If you practice enough times it’ll be easy. Just like, ‘Hey, I like you. Would you be interested in going on a date?’ That’s all you need.” Taemin was not looking remotely convinced. “Just try, will you? Practice in the mirror. Or you can practice on me. I’ll give you some different reactions and all.”

“I… can practice with you?” Taemin repeated uncertainly. Jongin gave a slow nod. The things I do for you, he thought. But then, Taemin didn’t say anything more. His cheeks were looking pink again, but maybe that was still from before. Or maybe he thought it was really strange to be doing such things with Jongin.

Well, you’re right. It is strange. But Jongin was a good friend – so appreciate it!

“Okay… um. I- I like you…”

It was so unconvincing that Jongin could only laugh. “Wow, I can really tell,” he shot back sarcastically, scooting closer. Then he tapped the bottom of Taemin’s chin. The older had completely avoided his gaze, evidently too shy to look him in the eye. “First of all, look at me. If you’re looking down like that, he might take it as you’re interested in something else.”

This had Taemin’s eyes widening and flying up to Jongin’s, cheeks instantly stained pink again. Jongin chuckled, but nodded somberly. “Better. Now let’s try again. And this time, try to sell it.”

Seeing Taemin taking a deep breath, Jongin gave him an encouraging smile. But then, Taemin chickened out and hid his face in his hands. “This is silly…” he mumbled, shaking his head.

“No, you’re just overthinking it.” Jongin reached for his arms, grabbing Taemin’s wrists and forcing his hands away from his face. “Look, it’s easy. I like you. I really like you. I like you so much,” he gushed, looking Taemin in the eye as he made his own faux-confessions. Did he feel a little silly? Yes, but who cared? “That’s all you’ve got to say. It’s not like I actually feel that way about you. We’re practicing, so it’s easier to get the words out of your mouth when you’re talking to him.”

Taemin’s lower lip disappeared between his teeth, and Jongin wondered if he was being a little too hard on him, because suddenly it looked a bit like the older was on the verge of tears. “I don’t think I can do this…” he admitted after a moment. In response, Jongin slid his hands up to take Taemin’s, giving them a gentle squeeze.

Okay, plan B. If channeling his father’s tough-love method didn’t work, then he would have to use his mother’s approach.

“Yes you can,” Jongin told him, voice much softer now. Squeezing his hands again, he gave Taemin a supportive and reassuring smile. “You can, Taemin. It’ll be okay, I promise. Just try, okay?”

And though Taemin remained doubtful, Jongin’s encouragement seemed to have some effect on him. He took a deep breath again, not letting go of Jongin’s hands. “Okay…” For a second, he closed his eyes. Then he was opening them again and looking at Jongin, properly. “Um- I like you.”

It was a small improvement from his first attempt, but Jongin figured it would be better to persuade him rather than criticize. Jongin settled for an over-the-top response, gasping and saying, “Oh my gosh, I like you too! We should go out!” This worked, making Taemin break out into shy laughter and take his hands back, hiding his face as he chuckled. “We have to cover all the possible responses,” Jongin reasoned. “So you’re ready for everything.”

“You’re ridiculous, you know that?” Taemin shot at him, patting his cheeks to try and calm himself down and trying to grow serious again. “Okay, okay. Let me try again…”

“Mhm, is there something you want to tell me?” Jongin asked coyly, batting his eyes for good measure and making Taemin laugh and tell him off. “I don’t know what this guy’s like, I’m trying my best here.”

“Just- just be yourself. It’s weird…”

I’m weird. Now hurry up and confess to me.”

Inhaling deeply, this time to try and be able to put up with Jongin more than out of nerves, Taemin gave a firm nod. “I- I wanted to tell you that… I like you.” And Jongin didn’t say it, but he found Taemin’s stuttering oddly endearing. It was admittedly much cuter than if he just said it confidently without hesitation. Maybe I shouldn’t train him after all…

“Good, okay then. Question,” he said. “Do you think he would like it better if you were shy, or if you’re more confident? If you had to guess…”

“Hm? Um…” Taemin’s eyes flashed, considering the question deep enough to furrow his brow, looking momentarily lost in thought. “Probably confident,” he finally decided, making Jongin nod. If that was the case, then it didn’t matter what Jongin preferred.

“Then we need to work on it until you’re more confident, so you can sweep him off his feet when you do it.”

“Do you think that’d happen?” Taemin prodded, still unsure.

Jongin was ready to assure him until he was convinced. And anyway, if being confident worked for himself, why wouldn’t it work for Taemin too? “Of course. You’ll have to leave no room for questions. He won’t even be able to think, he’ll be so caught up in your confidence.”

At this, Taemin looked down at his hands, twiddling his thumbs in a show of… the pure opposite of confidence. It’s okay, Jongin thought. We’ll get there… It might be a long (long) journey, but he was determined.

“Alright, now try again…”

*

It became something of an inside joke between them, Taemin periodically going up to Jongin and trying to confess. Every time, Jongin could tell it was coming because Taemin always had this determined look in his eyes, and Jongin just found it so funny and sweet. He was taking it so seriously, and Jongin did his best to give him good reactions each time as promised.

And after about a month, Taemin had grown confident. Or at least, he had gotten so used to say it that it had become very casual for him. Good morning, I like you. Hey, I like you, see you after work. I like you, do you want some coffee? Finally, as much as it entertained Jongin, he thought that Taemin was ready.

“You should tell him,” he announced one evening after the latest confession. “I think you can do it now, no problem.”

Taemin just nodded, seeming rather unfazed by the suggestion. “Yeah, alright…”

Wow, he’s really not even nervous at the idea of it anymore. Practice really is the answer…

“Let me know how it goes.” Was it strange for him to feel excited, nervous? Jongin wouldn’t even be the one confessing, but he anticipated it for Taemin. (And he was a little sad, feeling that he would end up losing out on his own Taemin time if – when? – his crush accepted the confession.)

The next day, when Taemin came back from school, Jongin was ready to ask him. But instead, Taemin approached with the usual. “I wanted to tell you something… I like you.”

Oh. Then that meant… “You didn’t tell him then?”

Taemin didn’t say anything more, just walking off. Maybe he hadn’t seen his crush today. Maybe he had chickened out. One day…

But after a few days, Taemin was still confessing. And Jongin didn’t want to push him, but at the same time, he couldn’t keep making excuses.

“Taemin, I think… you need to tell him for real,” Jongin finally said. It was the night before Taemin’s birthday, and it felt like it was time. Taemin was turning nineteen now. He would be a real adult, and Jongin thought he should start acting like one. With more confidence, and adult relationships. Time to move on from these kids’ games…

The look Taemin gave him was hard to read. Almost – sad? Discouraged? Like he was lacking hope. Maybe it wasn’t the reaction he’d been looking for, but Jongin didn’t know how else to react. It wasn’t like he didn’t like it – some part of him looked forward to being practiced on, because he really did find Taemin inexplicably precious with that little fire dancing in his eyes. But honestly, lately Taemin barely had that anymore when he “confessed”. The game really was wearing for both of them.

“Tell him tomorrow,” Jongin added, keeping his tone gentle. “It’s your birthday, he can’t say no to you.” Taemin just gave a small sigh and an even smaller nod. If only Jongin could read his mind, because he was sure Taemin would never tell him what was going through his head.

Taemin’s birthday was a Wednesday that year, but that didn’t stop Jongin from doing his utmost. They had insured Taemin had the day off work, and Jongin had planned a special birthday dinner with all of their old friend circle. It had definitely taken Taemin by surprise, considering some had even bussed in from the country, but he was clearly overjoyed. They celebrated to their hearts’ content, bringing out a cake towards the end and letting Taemin make a wish. Clasping his hands tightly together, he squeezed his eyes shut and thought for a long time before finally blowing out the candles. Then all too soon it was over, the time short but sweet and everyone promising to meet again over the summer break. After some bittersweet farewells, Jongin and Taemin headed back home.

“Thank you so much for today,” Taemin told Jongin sincerely when they had returned home, kicking off their shoes at the doorway. “That was the best surprise party…”

“Even better than last year’s?” Jongin teased, and Taemin just smiled. “What did you wish for? It seemed important.”

“I can’t tell you that,” Taemin replied, brow furrowing a little.

“Why not? I’ll keep it a secret.” Jongin was curious if it was about his crush, but Taemin wasn’t budging.

“If I tell you, it won’t come true,” Taemin explained simply. Then he straightened up, looking Jongin in the eye. “Hey Jongin?”

“Mm, what is it?” Jongin wondered, suddenly reminded of Taemin’s numerous confessions. Had he finally talked to his crush? Would he be sharing the details now?

Taemin was quiet for a minute, thoughts deep behind his eyes. “I wanted to tell you something,” he said, the way he often started his practice confessions but his tone not like any other time he had confessed. Yet something about it was familiar… Jongin had heard him talk that way before – but when? “I’m not going to tell you again. This is the last time…”

What is that tone? Jongin wracked his brain, but nothing came through. At the same time, he slowly processed what Taemin was saying, wondering if he had done something wrong. He gave a slight nod to let Taemin know he was attentive, but continued to try and recall. The way he spoke was so familiar, though the look in his eyes wasn’t one he had ever seen before. Had Jongin dreamed it?

Inhaling a slow, deep breath, Taemin looked him in the eye, the way he always did. “I like you,” he said, no hesitation.

It processed a little slowly, as Jongin was somewhat lost in thought. But as the words finally caught up with him, he gave an amused sigh, chuckling and shaking his head. “I thought I was in trouble…” he murmured. The way Taemin had been acting had had Jongin convinced he had done something wrong, and he had felt worse for not remembering. “When will you tell your crush that?”

Taemin smiled, and if his tone of voice could have had any expression, it would have been that one. A smile that barely covered emotions just out of reach. Jongin wished he could understand, but he was left hanging as Taemin turned his back and went off to their room.

What does that mean? Why won’t he just tell him? Is he just messing with me now?

After standing there for a moment, Jongin sighed again and went off to the bathroom to shower. There, he thought more on the way Taemin had sounded, going through every memory he had. The first thing he was able to connect was the look Taemin had had, which had been awfully similar to the first time Jongin had visited him by surprise last year and seen the unhidden sadness on his face because Taemin had been missing him… Oh!

It hit him then. There was a reason Jongin could remember the tone of his voice so well but not his face. This was how Taemin had sounded when they had been separated, and Jongin kept pushing off visiting! When Taemin had obviously missed him and been sad about it, but kept telling him it was alright and not to worry about it. Did that mean… Taemin was upset about something now, and trying to hide it? What was wrong? Had his crush gotten a girlfriend or something?

A girlfriend… That made total sense. Oh no. That would explain why Taemin had seem discouraged, and also why he didn’t seem remotely nervous about the idea of confessing anymore – because he had no plan to do it after all. Shoot. Jongin hadn’t even thought about that.

 When Jongin finished his shower and went to their room, Taemin was already curled up in bed with his back to the room, making Jongin feel a pang of sadness. The sight made him feel even more certain about his hunch. Rather than allowing it though, Jongin quickly got into his pajamas and climbed onto the bed. He crawled over Taemin, forcing the older to face him as he got under the sheets, hand resting on his neck so he wouldn’t try to escape.

“Aren’t you going to tell him?” Jongin prodded gently, wanting to try to make Taemin open up. After all, if there wasn’t a girlfriend involved, it made him wonder what all the practicing was for if it wasn’t going to be used.

Taemin’s response took him hugely off guard. “I did…” He didn’t look at Jongin when he said it, but Jongin gaped at him nonetheless.

“You did?” Well, that was a development. Jongin was so surprised that he completely forgot about everything else. “How did it go?” he asked, though judging by the way Taemin was acting, Jongin thought he could anticipate his answer.

“He… ignored it,” Taemin mumbled. Oh. Never mind; Jongin hadn’t expected that.

“How? How on earth do you ignore a confession?” Jongin asked. Even when he got confessions from people he didn’t like, he couldn’t ignore them. It didn’t make sense. But sometimes Taemin interpreted things differently from reality, so Jongin decided to dig a little deeper. “Did he say anything? Maybe he just didn’t hear you… What did you tell him exactly?”

“That I like him…”

Right. “Well- what was the context? Did you just walk up to him and say it suddenly? Was there any build-up?”

“I told him. He just… didn’t get it,” Taemin responded simply, though Jongin felt like he was omitting details.

“Maybe he’s just dumb,” Jongin tried to encourage him. “Maybe you need to try again and-”

Taemin was shaking his head. “I told you it was the last time.”

“Yeah, but it’s not about me, it’s about him-”

Jongin.” His tone made Jongin blink in surprise, more firm than he’d ever heard Taemin speak. Taemin had looked up, eyes holding Jongin’s gaze for a moment before he was sighing and dropping his eyes again. “You are dumb…”

Jongin pouted, moving his hand to Taemin’s hair. “I am. But… why? What did I miss this time?” Because while nothing else was clear, he knew that there was definitely something which had escaped his attention. And yes, he was fairly positive he was an absolutely terrible friend to Taemin. Jongin had no doubts that Taemin would have noticed whatever it was if their roles were reversed.

At his question, Taemin stared up at him wordlessly. Jongin tried to look innocent, despite knowing he was guilty of something. “You really don’t know?” Taemin finally asked, making Jongin feel worse because whatever it was, was it really that obvious? At this point, Jongin was starting to think he might not be able to get into university, because no one would accept someone so hopelessly clueless.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin told him quietly. “It’s not because I don’t care or don’t pay attention. I just- I’m just- I don’t even have an excuse, I’m sorry Taemin.” He felt so selfish and inattentive to his best friend, who he lived with. It wasn’t like they were far apart anymore; it wouldn’t be that hard to keep up with him if he actually made an effort. What was wrong with him?

“It’s okay,” Taemin replied, barely above a whisper himself. He looked down. Then, just as quickly, he looked back up with a familiar intensity in his eyes. “It’s you…”

What was him? Being inobservant? Being dumb? All of the above? “You mean for never noticing things?”

“I-” Taemin’s mouth fell open for a moment, dumbfounded. “Well, yes, but… Jongin, please, you’re so…” Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath and then returned his gaze to Jongin. “I can’t tell if you’re really this dumb or just pretending so that I’ll drop it…”

Ouch. Jongin had never heard Taemin say something so… unfiltered. They joked around a lot, but Jongin was pretty sure this was the first time Taemin had been so forward. It admittedly stung, and Jongin had to do his best not to be too reactive.

“Taemin, I’m not pretending! I don’t understand what you’re talking about at all, please. I want you to tell me…” His own eyes shot back their own intensity, a mixture of frustration, guilt, and just a little hurt.

And unlike him, Taemin could actually read it. His expression changed, giving a familiar sad smile. Rather than throwing any further insults, he spoke gently. “Jongin… you’re the one I have a crush on.”

Silence.

Shock.

Confusion.

What?

“Huh?” Jongin prompted, mind feeling frozen.

Taemin’s embarrassment was nearly tangible, mumbling, “I’m not saying it again, Jongin.”

“But… What..? Me? Really?”

“Yes…”

Jongin’s thoughts went from zero to a hundred. Taemin had a crush on him. On him. And that was probably why he’d been so hesitant to practice confessing to him at the start. And also why he’d kept confessing after Jongin told him to tell his crush – because he was his crush. Taemin hadn’t been practicing – probably not for days. And Jongin hadn’t noticed – of course he hadn’t! How was he supposed to know? Not to mention, that was probably why Taemin had thought Jongin might be uncomfortable with him staying there when he came out as gay. Wait

“Since when?” he asked next, needing to put a timeline on this whole thing. Maybe it was recent. Maybe…

Taemin looked down, his telltale way of notifying Jongin he was embarrassed about something when it was too dark to see his blush. “Since… since I met you, maybe.” His voice was so small, more insecure than Jongin had heard him before.

“Oh…” That was long. Longer than Jongin would have imagined. Their entire friendship, and Jongin hadn’t had a single clue. Taemin hadn’t dropped one hint.

Or had he?

Taemin had always been a little bit nicer to him, compared to their friends. But was that because he was new, and Taemin wanted him to feel welcome? Or was it because they just weren’t as close? He had become more playful, teasing, jokingly mean as time had gone on. Plus all the sleepovers, the countless nights Taemin had snuggled right up to him. Had that been something? Jongin didn’t know how Taemin was with anyone else, so he couldn’t know if Taemin was a cuddly guy by nature or if it was the result of his feelings. And when they had kissed, Taemin had made a sound. Jongin had thought it was a sound of distress because he was disturbed by it, but – had it been distress because he had liked it?

There was so much more. Taemin’s level of sadness at Jongin leaving the town; the way he’d given him such a personal, heartfelt parting gift; the way he had pined for Jongin so much when he was gone; the way he had said he wanted to move here for Jongin. The way he had been jealous when Jongin had gotten a girlfriend – jealous of her, he finally recognized, not him. So many things that Jongin had interpreted as friendship that he realized might not have been such…

“I’m sorry,” Taemin’s voice broke through his thoughts, Jongin zoning in again as he focused on Taemin in the present. His voice sounded pained, insecurity at its peak. “I never liked anyone before… I only started to realize after you moved away, but I- didn’t remotely understand it. I didn’t want to, so I just pushed it aside.

“Until I came here. And it really hit me.” The way he spoke, he almost sounded scared, and it tugged at Jongin’s heart just a little. “I should have told you sooner. I’m sorry…”

“Don’t apologize,” Jongin breathed. “It’s alright. My charms are irresistible, it’s not your fault.” Taemin gave a tiny laugh at that, and Jongin moved his hand to rest on his neck again, though now he wondered if it was a strange thing to do. Still, he wanted to help Taemin feel better; it wasn’t like he had tried to catch feelings for him. No doubt Taemin was worrying about Jongin kicking him out or something, and he wanted to ease that. “Really, I’m just… surprised. But it’s okay.”

“I don’t want this to ruin our friendship…”

“That’s not gonna happen,” he promised, thumb his jaw where he could reach. Again, Jongin became more aware of the action, not sure if it was appropriate. But he would have done it before, and he didn’t want to cut things like this off between them now or it really would hurt their friendship. “It might take some time to get used to, but it’ll be fine. It’s never caused us problems before, right?”

Unexpectedly, Taemin sniffled. It seemed like Jongin wasn’t doing such a good job to soothe his worries, despite his efforts. Maybe Taemin could tell that it was a bit of an act, because Jongin was still too in shock to process things properly and comfort him well. But then the older mumbled, “You’re a better friend than I deserve.”

“Please, a few minutes ago I was thinking that I’m probably the worst friend you’ve ever had,” Jongin assured him with a laugh. Then he grew serious, scooting himself a little closer and looking Taemin in the eye. “I really care about you, Taemin. I- I love you, really. Maybe not in the same way, but… You’re my best friend. Honestly, I was feeling kind of jealous of your mystery crush. Thought someone was gonna steal you away from me.”

At this, Taemin giggled but shook his head. “Don’t lie…”

“I mean it! I was waiting for you to come home and tell me you were running off with him,” Jongin pouted, brushing Taemin’s hair out of his face and absently noting how long it was getting. “At least I know I can keep you a little longer, until you find someone else.”

“I’m not gonna run away with anyone,” Taemin promised quietly, though Jongin didn’t really believe it. Eventually, things would change, but Jongin decided now was not the time to mention as much. “Do- do you really mean it? That you love me..?”

Jongin nodded, blushing a little as he realized that he had not only said it, but Taemin had heard it, and was now lingering on it. “I’m not good at cheesy stuff, you know. But yes, I really do… You’re probably the best person I’ve ever met, and I wish I’d known you sooner. You mean a lot to me…”

In return, Taemin gave a small nod himself, moving to hide his face in Jongin’s chest. Instinctively, Jongin wrapped an arm around him. “I feel the same way,” Taemin mumbled from his shirt. Something about hearing it made Jongin feel relieved, putting some of the worries crawling under his own skin to rest. Taemin wasn’t going anywhere; Jongin could keep him.

He has a crush on me, but at least he’s staying.

“Then, is there anything you want from me?” Jongin asked him, trying to lighten things up again so they wouldn’t have to fall asleep on something so heavy. “As your crush. For your birthday I mean.”

“What are you talking about?” Taemin lifted his head, now much closer than he had been before and making Jongin’s heart thump nervously. Is this too close? He didn’t know if he should move back, or if that would hurt Taemin’s feelings.

“Like a birthday present,” he explained, voice low. “I did tell you your crush couldn’t say no to you today… if you want to take advantage of that while you still can.”

Lines furrowed into Taemin’s brow, his puzzled expression always making Jongin smile as he always looked so sincere. “I don’t want to take advantage of anything,” Taemin returned quietly after a moment. “I don’t want to make you do something you don’t want to.”

“What are you thinking of, hm?” Jongin teased, head tilting. “I guess you’re an adult now, huh, starting to have those kind of thoughts.”

“What – no! I wasn’t-” Taemin’s eyes widened, mildly mortified by the suggestion and making Jongin giggle. “I didn’t mean anything like that. I would never…”

“Uh huh,” Jongin continued to , though he didn’t for a second doubt it. Taemin was too pure sometimes. “What about a birthday kiss, then?”

For a second, Jongin was sure Taemin glanced down at his lips. But maybe he imagined it. “Jongin, why are you offering that?” the older wondered, shaking his head. “Why would you kiss me?”

Jongin shrugged, truthfully not sure what had come over him either. “As your crush. For your birthday. I dunno, I guess I was hoping things would go well with him today, and it turns out that I’m him. If I had a crush, I’d want them to kiss me for my birthday.” The way Taemin was looking at him, it was clear they had different thoughts about the situation. Taemin looked a tiny bit hurt, sad, as well as confused – the opposite of what Jongin had been aiming for. “I’m sorry, Taemin. I didn’t mean it in a bad way…”

Silence fell between them, Taemin letting out a soft sigh and looking down. Jongin waited for him to say something, grappling with his guilt in the meantime. Had it been that bad of a suggestion?

“It’s okay,” Taemin finally told him, not looking him in the eye. “I don’t want you to kiss me. Not like that. Not like, ‘let me do it for your birthday, not because I want to’. That doesn’t sit right with me.” Then his eyes did lift, giving Jongin the smallest of smiles. “But thank you for the offer. You don’t have to do anything for me. I’m grateful for everything tonight already.”

Jongin gave a nod, giving up on trying to save things any further. They just needed to sleep, he concluded. Wishing Taemin a happy birthday one more time, he pulled his friend close and held him against his chest, letting himself fall asleep to the familiar sound of Taemin’s soft breathing.

 

Author's Note: The truth is out! Some of you saw it coming, others may be taken by surprise. Who knew the pretty boy from the city would be Taemin's gay awakening? Taemin certainly didn't. Here he was thinking he was just a late bloomer - or loyal to his friends, because dating girls meant abandoning the group, and Taemin would never do that! And then Jongin came along...

There's been some speculation so far, so I do want to clear things up a ~little~. To answer a previous question, Taemin caught feelings first! Yes, Taemin is fairly sure he's had feelings for Jongin all along, though he only confronted it once he moved in (and moved away from his close-minded surroundings). However, Jongin... as we all know, he's not exactly the brightest bulb (love you Jongin ♡). He's also straight, honestly truly straight, and he has never even considered Taemin (or any boy) in a non-platonic way (yet~). So like he said, while he loves Taemin (and he really does), it really isn't in the same way. Any feelings he has are just a little seedling still! But! Taemin can win him over, right? (Yes~! Otherwise you will all fight me 😅)

Let's take our bets then. As [redacted, future character] would say, spaghetti's also straight until things get hot. So - how long do you think Taemin will need to win Jongin's (clumsy) heart? A month, a year? Longer, somewhere in between? How long can he take before you start threatening me? 😅😅 Let me know~ ♡