Two.

Breaking Boundaries
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It turns out that it was in fact important.

Because on Monday morning, as I was looking at my schedule, I noticed a familiar name under one of my classes, and then it suddenly clicked in on why the rude stranger from the night before seemed so familiar.

Professor Byun Baekhyun.

I remember Kyungsoo had taken his classes a couple times before, but I hadn't had the chance to take any of his classes yet because he usually teaches the higher level coding courses. Some of the girls in my major would gossip about him all the time too. Apparently he was the only young hot professor on campus.

I blew out a breath. So the famous Professor Byun was a heartbreaker? That was interesting information considering he always seemed so formal and composed whenever I had seen him around campus. I just hoped he wouldn’t remember me from Saturday night, it would be awkward knowing that I had been caught eavesdropping on what seemed to be a private moment.

I just really wanted to get this semester over with, once you’ve been in college for three years you end up with burnout your last year, or what people would usually call, “Senioritis”. But then one can argue that I’ve had senioritis since freshman year. I was always a hands-on learner, I struggled with learning from lectures or watching presentation slides. It just never got through me.

That was one of the reasons why I chose the computer science major. Kyungsoo had shown me how to code before in high school, and I actually really enjoyed it. It was easy to teach yourself once you had the hang of it, and I didn’t need to sit and watch lectures on it.

But sadly, our education system doesn’t work like that, the way professors teach is always with lectures and almost never hands on. I just never saw a point in attending classes.

“Hey Mara!” 

I snapped out of my daze as I saw Haera walk up towards me. She was one of the friends I had in this major, we met in our basic engineering class in freshman year, and being one of the only few girls that are in this major, we became friends and always looked forward to taking classes together whenever we had the chance.

“Haera!” I smiled walking up to her. “Please tell me we have classes together this semester.”

She chuckled before taking her phone out, “Let’s see, this term I’m taking physics 3-gross. Calc 4-”

“Ew that’s even worse.” I joked, I have always hated math, which is ironic because I’m an engineering major. “What about your coding classes?”

“Oh! I’m taking CS 5110 this year! What about you? Did you take it already?” She asked.

“No! I’m taking it too! Is it the same Professor?” I showed her my phone, “Professor Byun?”

“Oh my god yes!” She laughed in relief. “You have no idea how happy I am to have a friend in a 5000 level course.”

“No, I’m the one who’s relieved.” I chuckled, she hooked her arm through mine and we began walking towards the engineering building. “Kyungsoo left me all alone again.”

“He tested out a 5000 level course? Man, how does he do it?” Haera paused and hesitated before speaking up again, “So, he’s not going to be around much?”

I raised a brow at her, I always knew that Haera had a little crush on Kyungsoo since freshman year, I mean it was always kind of obvious. Except Kyungsoo was always too oblivious whenever it came to anyone’s emotions, so her crush remained just a one-sided crush. Poor Haera.

“Nah, He’s still taking some courses, and I know he’s teaching some of the lower level courses so he might still be around.” I reassured her before we entered the building. 

The engineering building was one of my favorite places, mainly because of the architecture. It was one of the nicest places on campus to come down to the lounge and study with friends here too. 

“He’s teaching? They can let him do that? Even without a degree?” Haera questioned, she checked her phone to see where our class would be before redirecting us to take the elevator up.

“I mean it's a beginner’s level course, you don’t really have to have a PhD to teach it.” I shrugged. “And it’s Kyungsoo, he basically finished his degree years ago, they would let him teach anything.”

Haera laughed in agreement before sighing. “Have you had Professor Byun before?”

I shook my head, “Not really. I never got the chance to, any classes I needed that he taught would fill up so fast so I’d always have to take it with other professors. Is he a harsh grader?”

“Oh yeah 100 percent. He finds even the smallest mistakes in your code and takes points off.” She pouted. “I took his class last year, he’s not a bad professor, but you do have to attend his class and pay attention, he moves pretty fast. Also his exams are hard, if you miss class, you might fall behind since it's hard to catch up with him. I learned that the hard way.”

I groaned as we walked out of the elevator, the lecture room was just down the hall but we decided to take our time walking slowly, we still had 5 minutes before class started and I did not want to go in early. “I was hoping it was going to be a more ‘teach yourself’ class.”

Haera laughed, “You’re not going to get lucky with this. Also, his classes are always packed, there are girls that aren’t even in our major that register for his class just to watch him teach.”

“Really? Wait, how can they even do that?” I wondered, was Professor Byun really that popular?

“I think they register for it as an ‘elective’ and take it.” She shrugged. “Even though its so dumb. It’s a 5000 level class that they’re going to end up failing.”

“I guess they’re willing to take the risk for professor Byun, if they know they’re going to fail.” I told her. “I actually saw him Saturday night. It was kind of awkward.”

“Oh my god, really?” Haera chirped up as we were a few feet away from the classroom, she stopped walking and turned to me. “Why was it awkward? Was it juicy?”

I rolled my eyes before laughing at her, “No, it wasn’t anything juicy, I just kind of caught him in the middle of breaking a girl’s heart. He seemed so cold about it too. Pretty sure Mr. Handsome is just another boy.”

“Wow. It’s always the hot ones that are the players.” Haera sighed.

We were interrupted with someone clearing their throat behind us. To our horror, we turned around to see Professor Byun looking down at us. It wasn’t a surprise that he dressed much more formally than what he was wearing Saturday night, this time he had a navy blue blazer with a tight white button up underneath. 

I didn’t want to admit it, but everyone was right. He really was breathtaking. And hot.

“If you ladies are done gossiping. Class is about to begin.” His tone was cold, but then his eyes wandered to mine, and it seemed that for a second they widened a bit, before they went back to their regular expression.

Haera and I mumbled a series of apologies before walking into the classroom, we managed to find seats in the middle of the room and decided to settle there. 

Haera wasn’t joking, I know I usually say that this major is mainly male dominated, but I was shocked to see so many girls I have neve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter