Part 4: Shadow of the Past

A Kind of Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

13. Death

(Upright: Death reaps that which has run its course, allowing new life to grow in the space left behind.

Reversed: Death turns his back on his duty, allowing things to fester and rot in his negligence.)

 

The Devil rises from the chair he's sitting on, his aura threatening. Just like the card, the Arcana standing in front of them is a goat, his eyes glowing red, black horns on his head and black claws that would shred to pieces anything or anyone.

“Baekhyun and Soyoung... Welcome.”

“No need for small talk,” Baekhyun spits. “What do you want?”

“Don't be like that Baekhyun, you know I despise rudeness,” the goat says, his eyes glowing even more. “I am just asking for a favour. Nothing much, really.

“Let's get this out of the way then. Tell me what you want.”

The Devil starts to laugh, a sinister sound that only seems to make him appear even bigger and powerful in front of them.

“I don't want anything from you. We've already dealt, you and I.” He turns to the apprentice, a creepy smile on his face. “Soyoung.”

“No!” Baekhyun interrupts. “Listen to me, Soyoung. You can't believe in him, you-”

The Devil bangs his hand down on the table, silencing him.

“Manners, Baekhyun. Soyoung, what would you say if I offered you and your dear master a safe place to stay, away from everything? Wouldn't you like that?”

The apprentice sets her eyes on the Devil's, her answer clear in the silent room.

“No. Now and forever, my answer will always be no. We will stop you, once and for all. You will not meddle with our world anymore.”

From the corner of her eye, Soyoung sees the smile spreading on Baekhyun’s face. However, the Devil doesn't seem too pleased with her answer.

“You couldn't make this easy, could you?”

As he speaks, chains alight with black flames start to appear and crawl towards the two magicians.

“Why would we?” Baekhyun answers, “we just want you to stop interfering with our world. And we will stop you, here and now!”

He takes a step forward towards the Devil, who immediately lashes the chains out on them. Baekhyun quickly creates a magical shield, destroying the chains. But the thing is, more and more are created by the Devil, ready to be lashed out at the master and his apprentice. Soyoung is also casting spells, trying to destroy as many chains as she can. As the chains are still trying to defeat them, the Devil summons a thick wall of black fire, hurling it towards Baekhyun’s shield. It starts cracking, the force of the attack being too powerful, the strain visible in Baekhyun’s posture. Without thinking, Soyoung jumps between them just when the Devil hurls at them a second wall of black fire, taking the attack in full force. She staggers and drops on her knees, short of breath. It's so powerful... I feel like I was set on fire, as if the smoke was burning my lungs... But it soon disappears and Soyoung raises her head up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter