After Tonight

After Tonight {One Shot}

RECOMMENDED SONG: http://www.themusichutch.com/profile.php?uid=38451

Some say marriage is the biggest step you will take in your life. It's when you trust someone enough that you're willing to leave your life in their hands knowing that they will protect you no matter what. It's when you care about someone enough that you would do the same. I never imagined myself, Kim Myungsoo, in this position, sitting at the bridal store with the most amazing girl in the world. She wanted me to help her choose a wedding dress, but I was pretty much useless. No matter which dress she tried on, she looked stunning. Before I knew it, the store associate pulled the curtains open, revealing yet another gorgeous gown on the most beautiful girl. She took my breath away. I found myself at a lost for words, yet again.

"Oppa, how does this one look?" she asked me with a gleaming smile as her eyes arched into little crescents.

"Amber-ah! I've told you this everytime. You look gorgeous. I don't know why you insisted on me coming along."

"I want to be the most beautiful bride ever. Is that so bad for a girl to want on her wedding day? And I wanted you to come along because your opinions matter to me."

I walked up to her and held her delicate face in my hands. She was like a flower, so soft and silky. I was afraid my hands would bruise her with just a touch. Regardless, I confidently held on and reassured her with my words, "You will be the most beautiful bride ever. All the women in the world will envy you. All the men will consider it a priviledge to have ever laid eyes on you. No matter what dress you choose, this will be a fact."

"Thank you, oppa," Amber said as she hugged me and then gave me a peck on the cheek. I could feel myself burning up. My passionate feelings for her only grew as the days counted down. The wedding was just around the corner.

- - - - -

"Oppa, you made it!" Amber exclaimed as she waved her arm in the air.

Gosh, how can someone be so cute? That sweet smile almost tempted me to change my mind about giving her a hard time. Almost. I approached her with a frown. "Why am I the one stuck doing this? Shouldn't Dongwoo be here? Isn't that his job?"

"He's your best friend. You should know!" Amber retort as her tiny finger pressed into my shoulder.

"You've known him just as long as I have, maybe even better" I teased and stuck my tongue out at her. Dongwoo was my best friend. But I knew for a fact that we were both in love with the same girl, Amber Liu. Was it selfish for me to want her for myself?

"Oppa, don't be like that!" Amber pleaded. Sometimes I swear this girl had magical powers or something. Her eyes would soften, begging for forgivenss and her voice as fragile as could be, aided in the pleading. It was impossible to hold a grudge against her. "I know you're busy, but I want you doing this stuff with me."

"Okay, as long as you're happy," I said as I put my arm around her shoulder and started guiding her towards the flower shop. Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see her smile extend from cheek to cheek.

The florist showed us a ton of different flowers. It was all a blur to me. I just nodded as the words went in one ear and out the other. I took pleasure in just watching Amber do all the work. She asked questions and assembled different arrangements in varying colors. The best part was that she was so happy. I swear my heart was on the verge of jumping out of my chest. My feelings for her were so strong.

"Oppa, do you like this arrangement, or this one?" she asked with her head tilted to the side, as she held two different bouquets in her hands.

Crap. I hadn't been paying attention. And even worse was that I couldn't even remember the colors she wanted for the wedding. I just figured whatever made her happy would work. I felt so ashamed, but it wouldn't come to mind for the life of me. I quickly thought of something ambiguous, "this is your day, you can choose whatever you like."

Amber laughed, "well, I know that, but I still want to hear your thoughts."

"This is why you should've brought Dongie! He probably would've been more helpful!"

"Psht. You guys both are useless. I pity the girls that will marry you two."

I busted up laughing, "did you forget who you are marrying?"

"I know. I know. I've just always wanted to say it," she stuck her tongue out at me. "Anyhoo, I decided on this one."

- - - - -

This girl was relentless in her quest to make me do everything with her. Whatever happened to the wedding planner? Either way, here I was again, in the bakery ordering the cake with her. This was our favorite bakery. We'd always order each other's birthday cakes from here so we really didn't need to sample flavours. I'm pretty sure Amber knew how she wanted the cake. I guess I was here to be a spectator. I was looking at the different cakes they had on display while she was talking to the baker. After several minutes of being mesmerized by the intricate details in the cakes, I glanced over to Amber to see how it was going. I could hear them discuss the details. Momentarily, Amber looked over at me and shot me smile as she continued talking.

"So you're wanting lemon chiffon with a whipped cream filling and chocolate almond with a chocolate gonnache filling. And you want to alternate the flavours within the 5 tier?" asked the baker.

"Yes, I love the lemon chiffon and his favorite is the chocolate."

"And you want the cake to have a lot of sugar flowers flowing down?

"Yup."

"All right. Sounds good. We'll have this ready for the wedding. Once again, congratulations!"

"Thank you," Amber said as she bowed.

I quickly bowed and thanked the baker, too. Amber walked over to me and we proceeded out of the bakery. We continued walking down the street together. I couldn't stop staring at her. She was so cheerful. Seeing her like this made me happy. "Amber, I still don't understand why I had to come along. I did absolutely nothing back there."

"Aish, you ask me this everytime. And everytime I answer 'because I want you to be apart of the process'. Can you please stop asking me, Oppa? I'm pretty sure the answer won't change now until the wedding day."

I chuckled, "you can't blame me for hoping that it might."

- - - - -

I couldn't believe that time had passed so quickly and that the day was already here. My stomach turned as I stood at the front of the cathedral nervously fidgetting with my tuxedo. I looked over to Dongwoo with a smile and then glanced at the large assembly in the pews. The church was so big and the decorations were outstanding. Everything was grand. Within seconds the wedding march began echoeing from the organs. My heart began racing. I didn't expect myself to be so nervous. I watched as the flower girls, yes, there were multiple, entered. The ringbearer proceeded after the flower girls, and bridesmaids followed one after the other. After what seemed like an eternity, Amber appeared at the entrance in her princess like white gown. It was stunning. Her radiance took my breath away. There was no way to describe her beauty. Everything would fall short. Regardless, I will say this much, no one on earth could match the elegance or beauty that she was graced with.

She slowly made her way to the front with her father at her side. He shot me a quick smile as he handed his daughter off. He had always liked me better than Dongwoo. I found it remotely comforting. Momentarily Amber did the same with her ever so sweet smile. My emotions for her were hard to control. I wanted to burst into song and dance and let the whole procession know that I was in love with this girl. I just smiled at her and everyone turned to face the front.

Everything started passing by in a blur; it was hard to recall what was happening. Before I knew it, the priest was asking if anyone had any objections to this wedding. My heart stopped. I could feel myself go numb. I felt as if I couldn't breath, almost suffocating. My mind began to panic. Every ounce of me wanted to say something, anything. It was itching to come out. I just couldn't get pass the lump in my throat. Why must the gods forsaken me! I couldn't stop the wedding even if I wanted to. It was as if I was paralyzed. I couldn't do anything except watch the love of my life marry my best friend. This realization was devastating. It killed me. I could feel myself fall to pieces on the inside as I dishearteningly wore a smile to mask my melancholic misery.

I watched as they climbed into the limo. They looked so happy. They always did. I didn't know if I would be able to handle the reception. Would I be able to hide my depression? Regardless, I was their best friend and no matter how hard it would be, I would happily congratulate them. After tonight, I would have to come to terms with this bitter truth. Amber was now Dongwoo's wife. I would have to take joy in the fact that she has found her happiness. As much as it hurts to admit, she truly loved him. And knowing that she's with someone as worthy as Dongwoo, it put my mind at ease. In sickness and in health, they'd be there for each other. After tonight, I would have to move on. After tonight, I would have to put this unrequited love behind me and continue in search of my own happiness. After tonight. . .

- - - - -

Super sorry about the ending! I dunno why....i like sad endings....xD I mean....i like cute happy endings....but I just felt like this fit better hehee* otherwise it would just be a platonic story with no twist xD But I promise my next one shot will be happy! ^___^

Thanks for reading....please tell me what you thought! Were you remotely shocked? or did you suspect it xD (I tried putting hints throughout the story hehhe*)