new mission

in the shadows

Chaeyeon drives into the base, turning off the engine as the garage door rolls down behind them. It’s not the first time, but it never fails to amaze Yena as she watches the floor they are on starts to descend like a lift, and a roof of artificial grass cover up where they were. Now from the outside, the artificial grass blends in with the rest of the garden of their base, and no one will ever know it’s actually the entrance of their garage.

 

She sees the first glimpse of light, and it takes a few more seconds before she sees the other faces of her team looking up at them. Yena gives them a two-finger salute and hops off the car the moment the car lift stops.

 

“Nako, the new car engine works well.” Chaeyeon tells Nako as she gets off the car too and Yena almost breaks her neck at how fast she spun her head towards the engineer.

 

“You promised to let me try the new car engine first!” Yena points accusingly at the fairy as she passes the modified smoke bomb glasses to Hitomi.

 

“You can try the motorbike later, I installed new boosters.” Nako whispers to her after making sure Hitomi is out of earshot.

 

Yena immediately forgets about the betrayal, gasping as she holds Nako by the shoulders. “Did you really install the boosters? The one I suggested?!”

 

“Yes,” she leans in to whisper into Yena’s ears, because this can’t be heard by Eunbi, who’s just a few meters away, “now it can go as fast as 400km/h.”

 

Now, the rest of the team will probably call her stupid for doing dangerous stuff like this, but they don’t know that Nako only allows her to test any of her modifications when she’s absolutely clear that it’s 100% safe. That’s why she trusts the vehicles the fairy lets her use, even if she complains about it, or gets hurt occasionally from such adventures (which most of the time, is her fault anyway).

 

Yena grins as she wraps her arms around Nako. “You are the best.”

 

“I’m going to track the performance, and I will stay on the line with you the whole time.”

 

Yena salutes with a wink before following Chaeyeon to the table where the rest of the team is at.

 

Eunbi is looking at the multitude of screens in front of them, which is following the stream of police cars as they drive back to the police station. “How’s it going at your end, Chaewon?”

 

“I’m waiting at the station to interrogate him the moment he arrives. He’s going to try to deny it of course, but I do think we have enough evidence to persecute him even if he doesn’t confess.” Chaewon’s clear voice comes out from the speakers.

 

“Great, we will leave it to you and Hyewon to handle the rest then.”

 

“Will do.”

 

“Prosecutor Kim! Are you eating well? Don’t forget to eat even if you are busy working!” Yena jumps in and asks. She knows it’s not very professional of her to ask this when they are talking about work, but it’s been so long since she last saw Chaewon.

 

“Yena-unnie, I’m a full-fledged adult, I can take care of myself.” Chaewon’s exasperated tone is obvious even through the phone.

 

“You will always be a baby to me. My baby~” Yena teases and Eunbi shakes her head fondly as she interrupts before this call goes off on a tangent even more.

 

“Well, let us know if you guys need any more help.” Eunbi exchanges farewell with Chaewon before dropping the call, turning to the team in front of her.

 

“Well, I guess that’s a wrap on this mission, good job guys. We don’t have any other pending missions for now, so take this chance to have a break.” She dismisses them, and starts packing the documents sprawled all over the table.

 

Chaeyeon walks over to Sakura, who gives her a tight hug, the two whispering sweet nothings to each other, and Hitomi heads off to the lab, probably to work on those glasses more. Nako wriggles her eyebrows at Yena before turning and heading to the garage, and she gets the hint as she follows the Japanese.

 

They stop in front of the motorcycle and Nako points to an additional pipe below the original exhaust; it’s the new booster she was telling her about and Yena had to use all the cells in her body to control herself from squealing out loud. She bends down to take a closer look at it, not because she doesn’t trust Nako, but she just wants to marvel at it. You wouldn’t even realize it’s a new component added onto the bike, the part fitting so seamlessly with the other parts of the bike.

 

Standing up again, Yena clasped her hands together. “Shall we try it now?”

 

“Later at night. You need a clear road to really test the speed.”

 

“Or, I can just test it now. You know my driving skills.” Yena wriggles her eyebrows suggestively.

 

“Do you want to get into trouble with Eunbi-unnie? Just wait till tonight.” Nako drags Yena out of the garage, not wanting her to look at it further and have any more stupid ideas, like wanting to drive at 400km/h in the middle of the day in heavy traffic.

 

Yena sulks but relents, knowing that Nako is right.

 

--

 

Yena starts to slow the bike down, laughing raucously because of the adrenaline rush of speeding down the empty highway. “It works so well, Nako-chan.”

 

“Does the engine sound fine? Any other issues with cornering or braking?” Nako’s voice comes through the earpiece.

 

“Nope, everything is fine on my side.” Yena manoeuvres the bike, exiting the highway.

 

“Hmm, but the engine is heating up way too much for my liking. I will take a look later again, but meanwhile, don’t use the booster on your way back.”

 

Yena groans, but she knows better than to argue with Nako. “Okay, do you want anything from the convenience store?”

 

“Mint choco ice cream!”

 

“I don’t know why you even eat that abomination, but okay.” Yena teases as she pulls up at a convenience store, removing her helmet.

 

“Say another word and your bike might just burst into flames next time.” Nako warns, but Yena just laughs, not even a teeny bit threatened by the fairy’s words.

 

“Love you too, I’ll see you back at base later.”

 

--

 

Yena hangs Nako’s ice cream on the handlebars of her bike before picking up her helmet, about to speed back to base when-

 

“Please, please help me!”

 

There’s a girl in her high school uniform, grabbing onto a couple near her, crazed look in her eyes. But they don’t listen to her, shrugging her off, calling her crazy. The others in the vicinity immediately scamper off, not wanting the crazy girl to grab onto them too. Only Yena stands there, observing the girl. Her shoes are still half on, as if she didn’t have time to wear them properly, crazed look in her eyes filled with nervousness, fear, and not insanity.

 

“Please help me!” The girl grabs onto Yena’s arm, and her hands are ice cold. She’s afraid, Yena thinks, but of what?

 

Nako’s ice cream is going to melt if she doesn’t head back immediately, but she can’t just ignore this and leave this girl in the lurch. “Lead the way.”

 

--

 

Yena’s lungs and legs are on fire. She’s already running at her fastest, big strides one after another, but the high school kid is still a few meters in front of her, the gap never closing. The only person she has met who can outrun her is Chaeyeon, but even then, it’s a slim difference. This kid is way ahead of her and doesn’t even seem to be panting. That’s why even though her legs and lungs are screaming for help, she ignores it to keep pace with the kid, not wanting to fall behind even more.

 

Thankfully, the girl turns into an apartment building and Yena thanks the heavens that they reached their destination before her legs give up on her. The girl holds the lift door open for her, and smashes the close button once she enters, the button for the fifth floor already lit. Come to think of it, Yena doesn’t even know what she’s here to help with, and on second thought, it seems like a rather rash decision to just follow a stranger mindlessly like that. Oh well, she’s sure she can defend herself if this turns out to be an elaborate plot to kidnap her or something.

 

“So, what am I supposed to help with?” She’s pretty sure this girl isn’t trying to kidnap her, but a heads up on what she will be facing would be good.

 

“My sister’s boyfriend is here, he’s supposed to be held by the police, I don’t know why he’s out already-“

 

“Hey.” Yena interrupts her rambling and places a reassuring hand on the girl’s shoulder. It’s only then that she can feel that the kid is shaking. “It’s okay, breathe.”

 

The kid follows her instructions, taking deep breaths. Once Yena sees that the kid has calmed down a little, she asks again. “That boyfriend, is he dangerous?”

 

The kid nods, tears in her eyes. “He beats Unnie up all the time. I finally convinced Unnie to break up with him and call the police on him, but I don’t know why he’s here already when he’s supposed to be in police custody.”

 

Date violence, the gears in Yena’s head starts to spin as she gets an idea of what is going on. The lift door opens with a ding, and the kid hurries out, Yena running after her.

 

“Is he armed?” She may be good at fighting, but they still shouldn’t go in blind.

 

“No, I don’t think so.” The kid runs towards the only front door that is ajar, but Yena catches her by the wrist.

 

“Stay behind me at all times, understand?”

 

The kid nods, and Yena lets go off her wrist. She stops in front of the door for a few seconds, trying to pick up any cues from inside to figure out the situation before heading in. There isn’t any sounds of fighting, and she pulls the door open, entering first and making sure the kid is safely behind her.

 

The house is in disarray, glassware broken on the floor, furniture in awkward positions, pushed out of place during the couple’s fight. There’s a body curled up in a fetal position on the floor, and the kid gasps, running towards her sister. Yena focuses on the boyfriend instead, who is sitting on the sofa with a sinister grin, as if he didn’t just beat a girl unconscious.

 

“Hi Yujin-ah, how nice of you to finally join us. And who might you be?”

 

She ignores the question, just pulls out her phone to call the police.

 

He laughs. “Calling the police? Sure, go for it. They called the police too, and look who’s out in a day.”

 

He picks at a bloodied spot on his clothes, as if it’s just dirt and not blood from an actual person. “You see, I’m the son of MH Holdings. I can’t go to jail, even if I want to. One call from my dad and they have to let me go anyway. So call the police all you want, I will be back again tomorrow.”

 

If there is one thing Yena hated the most, it’s people who use their money to escape the law. It makes her mad, and it’s just his luck to meet mad Yena, because she’s not only angry-mad, but insane-mad.

 

“112, what’s your emergency?”

 

“Hi, yeah there’s a murder case here, please send someone here immediately.” She passes the phone to the kid (Yujin), “Give them the address.”

 

He snorts, “What an exaggeration. She’s not dead, I made sure of it. After all, it’s not fun if she’s dead.”

 

Yena tunes him out, scanning the apartment instead. There’s a baseball bat in the corner, and she walks towards it, picking it up, hitting it against her hand to test the weight of it. It’s a little old, but it should be enough to do the trick.

 

“Who said it’s her?” Yena turns back to him, mad smile on her face this time. “You can’t go to jail, but you can die, can’t you?”

 

The smile finally drops on his face as he realizes what she means, and Yena runs and smashes the bat, narrowly missing him as he jumps out of the couch.

 

“You are ing crazy!”

 

He runs out of the apartment, tail between his legs. 

 

Yena follows him to the door, making sure he’s really gone before turning back into the apartment. Yujin is staring at her like she has grown two heads, hugging her sister closer to herself when they make eye contact. She places the baseball bat back to its original position nonchalantly.

 

“Don’t worry, I was just lying to make him leave.” She’s not going to tell Yujin how she never misses a shot no matter what weapon she is using, and she missed the jerk’s head just now on purpose. What the kid doesn’t know won’t kill her.

 

Yujin nods slowly, and Yena bends down to look at the unconscious girl in her arms. There are bruises and cuts all over the girl’s body, but the most concerning injury is the one on the left side of her head, blood coming out profusely and staining everything in its wake. Yena isn’t that worried about the blood, but a possible brain injury.

 

She searches her pockets for her phone, only for Yujin to hold it out to her with her still shaking hands. Oh right, she passed it to her just now.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Yena switches on the torchlight on her phone and lifts the girl’s eyelids, shining the light into her eyes. Thankfully, her pupils are not dilated, which means the chances of a severe brain injury is low. She puts her fingers on the girl’s neck, and feels a steady pulse. All vitals are stable, so she’s not in any life-threatening danger. 

 

“She should be fine, don’t worry too much.”

 

Yujin just nods, staring at her unconscious sister in silence. Yena doesn’t blame her for her lack of reply, knowing that she’s probably still reeling from shock and processing things. Her phone rings, and Yena steps out to take the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Where are you, you should have been back like 15 minutes ago even without the boosters. Did it break down?! Is there any problem with the bike?” Nako asks frantically.

 

“Well, hello Nako-chan, I’m fine, thank you so much for asking.” Yena drawls. “The bike’s all fine too, I’m just caught up in something right now.”

 

“What is it?” Nako asks.

 

Yena lets her mind run through what just happened in the past thirty minutes, thinking about how and where to start.

 

“He beats Unnie up all the time.”

 

“I’m the son of MH Holdings. I can’t go to jail, even if I want to.”

 

“I think I found our next mission.”

 

--

a/n: and so we have two new characters and a new mission

any guesses on who the older sister is?