prologue

in the shadows

Yena looks at the cards in her hand, maintaining her poker face as she waits for the other player’s next move. The man sitting opposite her smirks as he puts his card face down on the table, pushing all his chips to the centre.

 

“All in.”

 

She doesn’t even bat an eyelid before following, pushing all her chips in as well. His smirk grows bigger, thinking that he has won this round. He flips open his cards, showing a pair of A’s. He laughs as he stands, ready to collect all the chips on the table when Yena wordlessly drops her own cards on the table.

 

It’s a King and Queen spade, and she had just won the round with a royal flush.

 

His eyes almost bulge out of its socket, and he slams the table. “That’s impossible! You cheated!”

 

Immediately, two men step up to her, ready to dispose of her once he says the word. She sighs as she runs her hand through her hair. “Well, it really doesn’t have to get messy, but if you insist…”

 

Yena stands up, smoothening her blazer before punching the left guy in the face. She dodges when the right guy launches at her, and kicks him in the groin, and another to the face, effectively knocking him out. She turns to look back at the other player across the table but his face just hardens as he gives a signal. She hears guns cocking and she looks up to see men standing against the railing of the second floor, their guns all aimed at her.

 

“Jesus, thank god I have a Plan B.” She feels around the underside of the table, but her blood runs cold when she doesn’t feel anything.

 

“Yabuki, where’s the gun?” She mumbles into the earpiece hidden in her ear.

 

“Well… you see… we thought you will be sitting on the left side of the table as always.” Nako’s nervous voice rings out and she curses. The one time she takes the right side of the table, this happens.

 

“You could have told me earlier!”

 

“Well, we thought things wouldn’t escalate to this point! This was supposed to be Plan B!”

 

“It might well be Plan D for Death now.” Yena wrecks her brain, she has to think of a way to get out of this situation, to survive.

 

“Didn’t peg you as a sore loser.” She makes conversation with the boss to give herself more time, looking around to assess her situation. There’s five men on the railing with their guns drawn, and that’s the immediate threat. She looks down at the two men unconscious beside her, and sees the gun in the holster strapped to their waist. But bending down to take it will just make her a sitting duck wide out in the open, so the gun attached under the other side of the table is her best bet.

 

“I’m not a sore loser, you are just a lying cheater.”

 

“Yeah, last time I checked; a sore loser is someone who can’t accept their defeat. Which in this case, is you.”

 

“I never lose!” He roars, before snapping his fingers, and Yena knows that’s her cue.

 

She rolls under the table, avoiding all the gun shots and successfully detaches the gun under the table. Immediately cocking it, she shoots at the leg of the boss who is leaving, and he goes down with a howl. Taking that moment of distraction, she rolls out from under the table, taking the five men on the railing down with consecutive shots. She walks over to the boss, who’s clutching his leg and crawling away.

 

“Don’t kill him, we need him alive.” Eunbi’s voice sounds out in her earpiece, and she rolls her eyes, it’s like they care more about him than her.

 

“Where was this energy just now when I was the one being held at gunpoint.” Yena laments to her team as she points her gun right against the back of his head, making sure he can feel the nozzle of it.

 

“Move one more step and I will make sure to plant the bullet straight through your brain this time.”

 

There’s commotion as men start to appear, drawing their guns at her. She doesn’t even blink, just clocks the gun again.

 

“Tell them to back off, or else…” She presses the gun harder against the back of his skull.

 

“Stay back! Keep your guns away, you baboons!”

 

They lower their guns reluctantly, and Yena talks through the earpiece again. “Hyem, ETA?”

 

“Six minutes.”

 

“Jesus, never count on the cops in times of crisis. It’s been five rounds of poker and a shootout and you guys are still six minutes away?!”  

 

“We had to get a warrant.” Hyewon monotoned.

 

“Are you a cop?” The boss asks after hearing her words, reminding her that she should be focused on her current situation instead of bickering with Hyewon.

 

“Unfortunately for you, I’m not a cop, which means I won’t hesitate to shoot your brains out.” Yena taps her gun against the back of his head as if to reiterate her words. She's not bind by all those bureaucratic red tape bull, so he better not piss her off, or else she might really just blow his head apart. (Okay, she won't because Eunbi will have her head, but she's not afraid to use more force than necessary.)

 

“Then why are you doing this?”

 

“Because I can’t stand injustice. Why is it that you can run an illegal gambling den without getting caught just because you have money to bribe people and cover your tracks? The law should be fair to everyone, no one should be above the law. And if those who are upholding the law are unwilling to catch and persecute you, I will do so myself.”

 

The warehouse they are in is concrete evidence of the gambling den, they won’t be able to deny or hide it any longer. Whoever is shielding him from the inside will either go down with him, or betray him to keep their jobs and protect themselves.

 

“Your game is over now, no one is going to cover for you anymore.”

 

Yena hears sirens blaring, getting closer and closer and she knows it’s time for her to leave.

 

“Yen, smoke bomb in ten.” Sakura tells her and she gives a thumbs up to the nearest CCTV.

 

She reaches into the inner pocket of her blazer, pulling out a black box. Following the instructions Hitomi told her this morning, she presses the button, and it enlargers into a pair of glasses.

 

“Well, have a good time in jail.” She bids her farewell as smoke starts to spread in the gambling den. She puts on the glasses and her vision immediately returns to normal, the glasses helping her see through the smoke.

 

She waltzes through the place easily as she hears the men scramble around in panic, and she just whistles as she talks through the earpiece. “The glasses are pretty neat, Hii.”

 

“Glad it works fine, there was still a little bit of finetuning to do.”

 

“Are you telling me you gave me something that wasn’t fully developed?!” Yena is beginning to think her teammates actually want her dead, with the gun previously and the glasses now.

 

“We were short on time. And besides it’s like 99% done already!” Hitomi retorts, and Yena huffs. She’s only letting this go because it’s the cute peach.

 

She finally gets to the backdoor, pushing it open to be greeted by piercing sunlight. She grimaces as she pulls off Hitomi’s special glasses, and sees that a car is already pulled up right in front of her. She gets on and Chaeyeon offers her a fist bump as Hyewon’s voice sounds out through their earpieces.

 

“Police! You guys are under arrest!”

 

“I’ve got Yena, we are heading back to base now.” Chaeyeon relays the information to the team as she reverses out into the road.

 

“Good work, team.” Eunbi thanks them for a job well done, and mentions something about a debrief after everyone is back at base. Yena pulls out her earpiece, sighing in relief at another successful mission.

 

“So, did you cheat?”

 

Yena gasps, clutching her chest in shock. “Who do you think I am?”

 

Chaeyeon laughs, “Yep, definitely did.”