It's me

Who is the devil?

For the past two days, Sungyeol has been frantically going around interrogating every single student in this school.

That includes me, but it didn’t last longer than a minute.

I guess he didn’t plan on interrogating me in the first place; he just did it to make sure that he went through every student.

His friend, Kim Myungsoo, offered his help, but it didn’t make much difference.

“Aish!” Sungyeol groaned loudly as he ruffled his hair. The attention of the students in the class shifted to the distressed boy. Even those who were sleeping initially woke up.

Many held the look of sympathy as they watch Sungyeol doing all sorts of action to announce that he is frustrated and distressed and etc.

I can’t blame them though.

Today is the third day, the deadline for Sungyeol to find the culprit, but his past two days of effort failed to get him a single clue. That would mean having to apologize to Woohyun in public, and knowing our dear kingka, he would definitely make things more difficult than it seem for Sungyeol.

A pang of guilt struck me as I realized what kind of mess I have indirectly got Sungyeol into, but I quickly shook it off.

‘No, Song TaeNa, no guilt for tall bastard.’

 

---------------------

“I heard that Sungyeol is going to apologize in the hall after school.” SooJi informed as she slurped up a strand of spaghetti.

“Don’t you ever get bored eating this every day?” I asked as I pointed to the plate of spaghetti with a disapproving frown.

“Nope, and don’t try to change the subject.” She shot me a stern look.

“Really, not a single bit of guilt?” I shook my head at the question, refusing to acknowledge the pang of guilt I felt during class that I classified as an ‘accident’.

“So, you are not going to own up, huh?”

“Of course.” I answered without thinking twice, failing to notice the distinct change in voice.

Sure, SooJi has a rather low-pitched voice, but it still has that feminine touch in it. The voice that asked the question though, definitely belongs to a guy.

My eyes widened as I finally realized the change.

I gulped as I turned my head to the back, where I assumed the person is.

Oh god.

“Oh, hi Myungsoo, what a coincidence!” I tried my best to keep my composure, but my laugh still came out extremely shaky.

“There is no need for the act. I know it’s you.” He didn’t ask for any permission and took the liberty to sit beside me.

Now I understand why he and Sungyeol are best of friends despite being two polar opposites, for they do have one thing in common.

Both of them, are bastards.

“You know, I prefer the Kim Myungsoo that doesn’t talk.” SooJi came to my rescue as she pulled me closer to her and glared at Myungsoo with those piercing eyes of hers. 

Myungsoo sighed before pulling me away from SooJi.

“This is none of your business.” He stated before he started dragging me by the wrist. “Let her go.” SooJi growled as she tried to release his grip on my wrist. He turned to her with an annoyed expression, glaring right into her eyes. Even her cold piercing eyes proved to be no match to Myungsoo’s as she retreated back slowly.

---------------------

“Yah, what exactly do you want from me?” I asked with an annoyed tone. He gave no response.

We have been sitting in silence for the past ten minutes. I was expecting him to want to talk to me in private that’s why he freaking dragged me from the cafeteria all the way to the field.

But he stayed quiet, like how the cold and mysterious Kim Myungsoo usually is. But if he is not going to confront me, then what the hell did he bring me here for? To admire the 'beautiful' patch of trampled grass?

 “I am leaving.” I announced as I stood up, dusting the small amount of grass that attached itself to my skirt.

“You are really smart, getting revenge without dirtying your hands.” He said. I raised an eyebrow at his statement. I have never been a saint, but he made me sound a lot more evil than I actually am.

“Playing innocent still?” He snorted. He stood up and walked towards me, leaving only a few inches of distance between our bodies. “I will give you one last chance to own up while you can. Maligning people is not a good way to revenge.” He threatened with a low voice, his eyes boring holes into me.

It was my turn to snort.

“Look dude,” I started, not bothering to hide the annoyance in my tone. What’s the point on keeping my façade when he had already seen through it? “It wasn’t part of my plan in the first place, so don’t make me sound so evil.” He scoffed, clearly not convinced.

“And no, I won’t own up to anything.” I said with finality before turning my back on him. No way am I going to ruin my perfect chance of a revenge, and no way am I going to own up to Woohyun, who will most probably make my life a living hell in school for my wonderful prank.

“You are a lot more heartless than I thought you are.” He shouted through the vacant field.

“And I am a lot more than you think I am.”

---------------------

“So, where is the culprit?” Woohyun asked with a victorious smirk. Sungyeol hung his head low as he shook it.

Before Woohyun could open his mouth, Sungyeol raised his head back up.

“I am sorry. But I swear I am seriously not the culprit!” He screeched the last part. Despite the annoying screech, his words came off as firm and certain, at least to me.

But apparently Woohyun doesn't think so.

“You call this an apology?” Woohyun snorted. “Thank goodness I prepared beforehand.” His lips curled up into another smirk, an evil one.

I am not expecting anything good.

With a flick of the fingers, the queenka--fangirl of Woohyun appeared with a cup of tea in her hands. She passed it to Woohyun, who in turn, passed it to Sungyeol.

“You should apologize the proper way. Get down on your knees and say ‘Hyung, I am sorry! I won’t do it again!’.” The way Woohyun said out Sungyeol’s supposed line made me cringe. And I thought his bunny aegyo was the worst of him. Apparently not.

With a shaky hand, Sungyeol reached for the cup of tea. It was obvious that the usually short-tempered boy is having a hard time not to explode in front of the nosy crowd that gathered in the hall.

Despite being the notorious trouble-maker in the school, Sungyeol is known as a man of pride and honor. That’s why he even bothered to apologize when he wasn’t the one responsible for the tweets, because he made the deal. That’s why he finds it hard to go down on his knees.

“Kneel down, kneel down.” Woohyun’s fangirls started chanting. Soon, the whole crowd joined in.

How apathetic can this bunch of people be.

“Don’t…” I whispered, clasping my both hands together as I silently prayed for him to defy.

SooJi stopped her chanting with the crowd, and turned to me with an unreadable expression.

 

The whole crowd gasp as Sungyeol fell on his knees. “Hyung, I am sorry. I won’t do it again.” He recited the lines Woohyun gave.

A wave of guilt hit me, hard. The tears that glimmered in his eyes, the shame he has to bear.

It should have been me. The revenge went a little too far for my liking.

“Are you happy now?” Myungsoo hissed softly from behind. I turned my head around, my eyes meeting his dark orbs that burned with anger.

I swallowed hard. I am not even remotely near happy at how the situation turned out, when theoretically, I should be.

I wanted to reply, but no voice came out. My voice got stuck in the throat, while a single tear escaped the eyes.

“Save your crocodile tears.” Myungsoo shot a disgusted look before leaving the hall, announcing his departure with a loud slam of the door.

---------------------

“Sungyeol?” He quickly wiped the single tear that escaped from his big eyes.

“Yes, TaeNa?” His voice croaked.

“I am sorry.”

I plucked up all my little courage to say those three words. I have never been a courageous girl, SooJi often scolds me for being a coward, but the guilt would kill me if I don’t apologize.

If I can’t reverse the situation, I should at least have the decency to let him know who got him into this, right?

“It’s okay.” He replied, never once looking into my eyes.

My brows arched as I wondered if he actually understood the meaning behind my words.

As if sensing my question, he spoke. “I know it’s you. Myungsoo told me like, half an hour ago.” He chuckled awkwardly, as if to comfort me. It did nothing to make me better. The weight in my heart swelled up twice of its size and so does its weight.

“Then why did not you expose me? You could have…” I trailed off.

“I owed you ya? Those homework.” He flashed his trademark gummy smile that could challenge that of Woohyun’s (whose smile apparently melts the hearts of every single girl in the school). It never worked on me, but for that instance, he looked charming. Really charming.

For that instance, he didn’t look like the Lee Sungyeol that I have known for the past two years in high school, but a complete different person.

And I am liking it.

---------------------

 

A/N: Sorry that it turned out quite long.... :p

Okay, so, this marks the end of my first attempt at short fics! Oh yeah~ *throws confetti for myself*

As I have mentioned, this is my first so I would appreciate some comments~ (both positive and negative! I admit that I get hurt easily but I do value constructive comments!)

And I would like to thanks those who subscribed and commented! Your love (or maybe you don't) means a lot to me! ^_^

 

Side track, Myungsoo is abcdefg Y in Shut up flower boy band! /drools

 

UPDATE: I am glad that there are actually people requesting for a sequel or some sort (hehe, thanks ELFyourface and yeollieka! I am grateful for that!), but I don't think I am going to have one because I like the ending this way and I don't really have an idea on how to continue either...

So, unless a good idea for sequel comes to my mind, this will remain like this. ^_^