Chapter 7 : Hide and Seek

Logryeon : the unsinkable ship a Penthouse AU

We are now around 1.30am and there is less than one hour before the ship sinks in the Ocean. As Logryeon, Yoon Chul and Junki reach the port side of the boat deck (Officers in charge Lightoller and Lowe).

 

Cold air from outside rushes in as the group opens the door leading to the deck and Su-Ryeon fully realizes the women passengers' words from earlier were entirely true. Removing his scarf, Yoon Chul holds it to Logan.

-“Take this or you’ll freeze to death, you’re the only one who has no coat here”

-“Thank you, I’ll take it”

When they step outside, it’s already crowded with people wandering in hope of finding a boat. The first notes of Orpheus join the tumult in the background. Suddenly gunshots rip the air, triggering frightened and indigned screams in the distance.

“All hell breaks loose here, but at least we have music, now I know that I am in the first class” notes Junki.

Su-Ryeon spots the first class passenger Colonel Archibald Gracie whom she is acquainted with and rushes to him.

-“Colonel, are there still boats on that side ?”

-“No miss, but I know there are still some all the way forward” he answers pointing to a direction.

Su-Ryeon thanks him quickly and the four start to run again, passing in front of the musicians who are still playing courageously although no one is listening to them.


At the same time, Dantae has just tried to bribe the first officer Murdoch to gain access to a lifeboat. Satisfied, Dantae goes toward Mr. Jo, persuaded that the officer has accepted the offer. Mr Jo bows when his employer joins him.

“I found her, she is on the other side, sir. She is waiting for a boat…with him” Dantae heave a sigh. One of the boats is about to get lowered and he can see that men are being loaded in.

But that little piece of information his manservant reported to him changed everything.

Mr Murdoch spun around, calling people to board.

“Any women and children ?” Ma Doo Ki, the Hera Line’s president, answers.

“They are all on board sir.”

“Anyone else then ?” Murdoch and Dantae cross eyes. At the same time, Ma Doo Ki hops on the boat discreetly.

“Goddamn it all to hell” Dantae curses before turning around and walking away with Mr. Jo following after him.


After running for a little while, Logan, Su-Ryeon, Yoon Chul and Junki finally reach a line as the lifeboat n°4 is getting ready to be lowered. A large group of people is already gathered in front. The three men have a chance close to zero to board on that one.

-“You guys…go see the other side of the ship if we have more chances,” says Logan.

-“But” tries to protest Yoon Chul.

-“Come on Yoon Chul, he will join us soon”

-“Wait…wait” Yoon Chul gets something out of his bag and throws it toward Logan.

-“You forgot this”

Logan freezes when he recognizes his signet ring.

-“You…”

-“I always doubted something was off. And one day I saw an article in the newspapers with your father and your brother…but I never said anything. Because wealthy or not you’re the same to me”

-“Wait a minute…you were a rich guy Logan ?” asks Junki, dumbfounded.

-“Not me, my family is”

-“Anyway…I maybe won’t become a millionaire but I am friends with one…” says Yoonchul.

-“You’re stupid” answers Logan naturally.

-“Maybe, but I was right for your goddess and my cutie-pie. So I need to be right for the rest.You better hurry and move your a*se to join us once your first class goddess is safe on that boat. If you die I will punch you” retorts Yoon Chul with a shrug.

Junki grabs him by the shoulders again.

“You guys, I enjoy the heartwarming moment, but we better go right now. Join us soon”

 

While the three men were talking, Su-Ryeon’s attention was captured by the passengers climbing in the boat. Her chest tightens painfully seeing families and couples heart-wrenching goodbyes. A man is trying to console his daughter who is crying after him from the lifeboat.

“It is just for a little while,You wait with mommy and your sister and I will join you in no time” From where she is, she can see his eyes filled with tears.

One of the crewmen holds out his hand to her and Logan pushes her toward him gently.

“Now it’s your turn, go on’

Su-Ryeon freezes and turns to face him.

- “No way, I am not going without you !”

-“We have more chances if you climb first, it will be fine. Get in the boat”

-“Yes. Get into the boat Su-Ryeon” adds Dan Tae, coming behind Logan with Mr. Jo.

Ignoring the couple's cold and puzzled stare, Dantae removes the coat Su-Ryeon was wearing and shoves it nonchalantly into Logan’s hands.

“Put this on instead”

Dan Tae wraps his own around Su-Ryeon’s shoulders and she recoils when his cold fingers touch her face.

“You look like a fright”

Bemused, Logan drags Su-Ryeon away from him. With his hand still in the air closing into a fist, Dan Tae keeps observing the couple with growing annoyance.

-“You go, I will get the next one.”

-“No ! I can’t go without you”

-“I will be alright, everything will be fine”

Dan Tae joins them again, speaking in a low voice, in confidence.

“I have an arrangement with an officer on the other side of the ship. We can both get off safely”

Su-Ryeon switches her gaze between the two, uncertain.

Trusting Dan Tae after his past actions seems difficult after all.

His hands rubbing her shoulders, Logan’s tone is reassuring.

- “See ? I have my own boat, but first you need to get on yours”

-“Hurry up, they are almost full,” adds Dantae with a smile.

Logan leads her to the edge of the ship.

“Wait ! then you put this on too” she says, taking the coat from his hands.Startled, he let out an hearty laugh.“Yes, yes, now go on” he answers, pushing her gently again.

She kisses him quickly before turning back.

“Step aboard miss”

Su-Ryeon reaches for Logan’s hand after she is helped in the boat, but the officer separates them.

“Please stand back, we are about to lower it”

Suryeon’s eyes are fixated on Logan who keeps smiling as the boat starts to go down.

-“You are a good liar” says Dantae

-“I cannot compare to you. That arrangement…it’s bull, right ?”

-“No there is. Not that you’ll benefit much from it”

 

Su-Ryeon tense up as the two men face each other. Although she cannot discern their expressions clearly, their posture is tense. Something is off, she can feel it.

“I always win Logan, one way or another” adds Dan Tae, his smile cold. Logan turns his gaze away from Dan Tae, gripping on the railing.

Logan still needs to join his friends, but their chances are pretty low.

 

Su-Ryeon keeps growing distressed as the boat is going down, creaking into its descent.

The little girl’s wailing next to her also intensifies in her mother’s arms.

“Why won’t you look at me ?” she thinks, the agitation around her only adding to her anxiety.

 

Logan sighs deeply, his eyes burning with tears.

“Maybe I won’t make it after all and we won’t see each other ever again.” he thinks, resigned.

What if that quick kiss she gave him was the last ? But he doesn’t regret anything. Meeting her was the best thing that could happen even if he doesn’t pass the night.

 

Logan lowers his gaze as another white flare is fired, revealing his grim expression behind the fake smile. And Su-Ryeon understands everything instantly.

“I knew this was a lie, how could I fall for it again ?” Su-Ryeon thinks, standing up.

“What are you doing miss ?!” asks the crew and passengers around her, confused.

“I don’t want to regret anything, even if it ends up costing my life, I don’t care” she thinks as she breaks the distance separating her from the ship. She catches herself in extremis on the edge of a promenade window, people around her gasping in shock.

Above her, both Logan and Dantae lean on the railing, stunned.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi ! No !”

Logan dash toward Su-Ryeon, leaving Dan Tae behind.

Passengers seize Su-Ryeon’s arms and help her climb back up on the ship.


They meet at the staircase and he wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly. His voice is shaking when he speaks close to her ear.

“Why did you do that ? why ?”

Her eyes full of tears, her trembling fingers find his cold cheeks.

“How can I leave ? You jump, I jump, remember ? We stay together until the end,”

A shadow of a smile on his strained features, he her damp hair, pushing aside a strand away from her face tenderly.

“Alright. We will find a way” he adds, holding her close again, her breath tickling his neck.

There is a short moment of stillness between the two and she shut her eyes, letting his soothing scent fill her. But suddenly she feels him tensing in her arms before he pushes her aside. The angel statue next to them explodes, preceded by a loud bang. And as Logan grasps her arm and begins to run, she understands someone just shot at them. Dan Tae runs down the stairs right after, a revolver in his hand.

Her legs like jelly Su-Ryeon keeps on dashing forward without thinking, with Logan holding her firmly.

Logan speeds up when he hears Dan Tae swearing behind them with people screaming on his passage.

“Move out of my way, bunch of imbeciles !”

Logan risks taking a look behind him. Dan Tae has just slipped and is standing up with difficulty, earning them precious seconds.

Propelled by urgency, Su-Ryeon ignores the burning feeling in her legs and also quickens her pace. Another bullet is shot, missing the couple by a hair’s breadth and people around them echoes her own fear, dispersing in all directions with screams of terror.

The couple are almost at the end of the last flight of stairs when Dan Tae shoots at them again, with the projectile hitting the water just below. Logan jumps in the water, dragging Su-Ryeon toward the dining room with Dan Tae catching up behind them rapidly.

Su-Ryeon shrills when he pulls the trigger a last time, the bullet ending in the windows just next to them.

 

They hear him yelling behind them as they cross the dining room.

To their horor, the exit is locked. His lungs on fire from all that running, Logan leans on the door.

“Bloody hell !” He curses out loud, his fist landing on the door behind him.

Flushed and bent over to regain her breath, Su-Ryeon’s gaze is mirroring his frustration. Logan takes a deep breath. He cannot give into discouragement. Su-Ryeon is scared and they need to act fast. His hand caressing her cheek briefly he forces a smile.

“Okay, we don’t know if he will come chasing after us or send his minion…let’s get moving”

Her eyes misty, Su-Ryeon nods in agreement and both face the door.

 

Dantae breaks into laughter when Mr. Jo joins him. Dan Tae paces back and forth in front of his henchman, his infuriation reaching its peak.

“Can you believe it ? I put the diamond in the coat…and I put the coat on her !”

He stops in his tracks, a glimmer of madness alight in his eyes as he wipes nervously his forehead.

“Guess we need to retrieve what belongs to me, right ?”

 

The door panel budges under their efforts but still won’t open. Su-Ryeon winces, rubbing her aching shoulder. Logan pushes her aside gently.

“We need to try something else, it won’t work”

Straightening his posture to gain momentum, Logan drives his heel into the door, landing a front kick near the keyhole. The wood begins to splinter after his second kick. He is about to charge at the door again when they hear someone approaching…


Water up his waist when he starts his progression, the pursuer fights against the current and the growing gradient of the floor as the ship keeps being weighed down by water. He swiftly avoids a kitchen trolley rolling in his direction, who crashes against a table a few meters away.

Hidden behind a table, Logan and Su-Ryeon cannot ascertain if it’s Dan Tae or his loyal servant Mr. Jo who came after them. The chaser shakes the door panel before taking a few steps into the dining room, his gait slow on the carpeted floor. Su-Ryeon’s fingers tighten on Logan’s shirt when a light bulb burns out in a loud crackling sound. The man keeps scanning the area, his steps getting closer to the couple.

 

The sound of tableware colliding as it floats away from the table closer to the exit is solace for Logan and Su-Ryeon who can move farther from the man without being heard. Logan puts his finger to his lips, and gestures to Su-Ryeon to stay still. Anxious, Su-Ryeon tries to grab his arm. Logan smiles at her and turns back. He sneaks behind another table as another trolley slides and crashes against a wall, the heavy pile of plates it supported crashing on the ground.

 

“I know you are in here…playing hide and seek, as if we had time”

Su-Ryeon’s chest fills with a mix of anger and fright when she recognizes Dan Tae’s voice.

Dan Tae is humming as he gets closer to Su-Ryeon who holds her breath in.

“You go hide, and then I seek…” Su-Ryeon covers when he kicks a chair aside.

 

“Where d’you go? Where d’you hide? You’re not in the places I tried”

Dan Tae spins around when another lamp blows, aiming his weapon in the direction of the sound.

“Did that jerk lose his mind ?” Logan thinks, shaking his head.

To his dismay, Logan, who is trying to surround Dan Tae and surprise him from behind, witnesses him getting even closer to Su-Ryeon.

 

The water level is now reaching Su-Ryeon’s chest. She grips on the chair in front of her, trying to ignore the temperature chilling her to the bone.

“I look up and down and everywhere! You’re good at this, where did you go?” Dan Tae keeps singing, caressing the top of the table where Su-Ryeon is hidden.

“Are you here? yes, yes, yes….”

Dan Tae breaks into a cruel smile when he finally spots Su-Ryeon.

“Here you are, darling” he sings out.

Her eyes widened in shock, she recoils when he grip her wrist, lifting his gun with his free hand. “Let go of me !”

Logan grabs Dan Tae from behind, suddenly free, Su-Ryeon lands unceremoniously on her side in the water. Startled by the sudden assault, Dan Tae pulls on the trigger, the bullet cracking a window opposite them.

Su-Ryeon jumps when she hears another detonation and stands up. The two are struggling around the room when another bullet rips the air, cracking the ceiling above.

Logan drives his knee in Dantae’s rib. Wincing Dan Tae releases his gun which flies in the room. Both plunge into the water to try to find it while gripping at each other. Logan gains ground and manages to maintain Dan Tae underwater.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi ! the door !” he screams while Dan Tae twists out under him. But Dan Tae breaks free and kicks Logan in the jaw.

 

His vision blurry and dazed by the shock, Logan releases him. Both stand up and Dan Tae charges at him again. Although dizzy Logan shoves him away and Dan Tae crashes against a table.

Logan grabs him by the collar to make him stand up and punch him in the stomach.

“Compliments of Logan Lee”

His breath cut short, Dan Tae falls on his knee. But he still grabs Logan's leg.

“You rat, where are you going?” Logan shakes off his hand. But his attention is captured elsewhere.

Taking a few steps toward the two men, Su-Ryeon points the gun she just picked up at Dan Tae. Her hands are shaking but her gaze is steady.

 

Dan Tae burst into laughter.

“Oh please. At best you will shoot into a poor chair or at worse the bullet will strike that punk over there” taunt Dan Tae.

“I just don’t understand. I would have given you everything. Why did you have to betray me ?” he adds, his voice rising.

“You never got it, didn't you ? I don’t need you giving me anything ! I never loved you. I only want to be free and live however I choose to live !” she shout back.

“Ridiculous. What that punk can possibly offer you ?” Su-Ryeon ignores him.

“Logan, the door. I will be watching him, ”

Dan Tae shakes his head and bursts into laughter.

“You know what ? it doesn’t matter. He is as good as dead. Even if there are still lifeboats, who will accept that hobo ? He is just a nameless trash who will float in the ocean pretty soon anyway. If only you didn’t come back…Maybe he would have stood a chance though”

“Shut up, son of a , I won’t let that happen” yells Su-Ryeon.

Behind her Logan kicks the door open.

“Let’s go ! we don’t know when his dog will come to his rescue.”

“You have no idea how much I would pay to see it with my own eyes…the tragic ending of the star-crossed lovers. Dramatic” Su-Ryeon places her finger on the trigger, her gaze dark as night.

 

A shadow moving in his vision, Logan throws a glance behind him. Mr Jo enters the water from the staircase, moving with difficulty toward them.

Earlier, Dan Tae dismissed him, but after second thoughts he decided to come back to check on his employer. His voice reaches them faintly from where he is.

“Sir ! Are you alright ?! ”

Dan Tae spins his head around. Taking advantage of the distraction, Su-Ryeon rushes at him. Turning back swiftly, he cannot dodge totally and she manages to scrape him on the temple with the grip of the revolver.

“You !” he carries his fingers to his head, screaming in pain.

“You needed some gun massage, bastard”

Logan call out to her.

“We really need to go, Su-Ryeon-ssi. In the state he is in he cannot do anything anyway” Su-Ryeon opposes no resistance when Logan grabs her hand and drags her behind him, not even throwing a glance toward Dan Tae.


Mr. Jo breaks the distance and rushes toward Dan Tae who is standing up.

“Sir ! Are you alright”

“Do I look like I am okay you idiot ?! What took you so long ?” Mr. Jo bow.

“I apologize, you told me to not follow you so I…”

“Shut up ! these bastards…how dare they ! What are you waiting for ? go after them !”

“You need to hurry up sir, the boats are almost all gone”

 

Su-Ryeon releases the gun once they are outside and the couple listen briefly to check if they are not followed. In front of them is either a staircase going up, or another going down. If Mr. Jo comes after them, he will probably opt for the first option.

“Let’s go,” says Logan, taking her arm.

Logan and Su-Ryeon climb down the staircase when they hear someone wailing near them. A little boy is crying in the center of the corridor.

Logan throws a glance toward Su-Ryeon.

“We cannot leave him,” she says in response. Logan looks around him. The water level is still low, up their ankles, but is already seeping everywhere from the walls around. They don’t have much time left. He sighs.

“Okay, come on” Once they join the kid, Logan gathers him in his arms, gauging his options. The door in front of the group is about to collapse under the water, they need to go back on their steps and try another exit.

“We need to go back” he yells trying to cover the sound of rushing water. The couple start to run with the kid screaming in fright in Logan’s arms. In the course of their running, they stumble upon a man who shouts at Logan before charging at him. He grabs the kid away from his arms and shove Logan against the wall. Shocked, the couple looks at him as he heads in the direction they just left.

“No wait ! It's the wrong way ! go back ! come back !”

But it’s too late. The door gives way in front of their eyes. A huge stream of water rushes in, knocking down the father and his child.

Logan grabs Su-Ryeon’s hand and turns into the last corridor they haven't tried yet. He already knows his efforts are futile as the water clashes on the wall, the vibration intensifying behind them.. It’s just a question of time before they are also swallowed by the icy liquid. The wave strikes them at full speed and they are dragged along by the current. Suddenly plunged into water, Su-Ryeon feels the brine taste of the ocean filling as she tossed about by the violent water flow. She crashes abruptly with Logan against one of the gates. His vision blurry, Logan scans the water and manages to catch hold of her collar. He pulls her toward her, fighting against the merciless current.

“This way” Su-Ryeon grabs at the slippery wall with her numbed fingers to propel herself behind Logan. Groaning under the effort he finally pulls himself up before pushing Su-Ryeon forward. They climb another staircase, the steps slippery and spot a metal gate just in front of them. Su-Ryeon reaches it first, but it won’t open. Logan also shakes it violently and the two share an horrified glance as the water wash their ankles.

The gate is closed and soon they will be engulfed by water.

“Oh no !” screams Su-Ryeon in despair.

“Help ! Someone !” Logan yells, shaking the door desperately. As the couple keep screaming at the top of their lungs, someone appears in front of the staircase, his gait slow as he climbs down.

But Logan and Su-Ryeon’s relief is short-lived when Mr. Jo stops in front of the gate. Logan releases the bars slowly, his heart racing.

“I have been looking for you Miss Shim” Mr. Jo says, his tone as inexpressive as his face. Logan push Su-Ryeon behind him when Mr. Jo lifts his gun. How many bullets were left in the magazine ?

 


Author’s notes :

The boat Su-Ryeon climb on is lifeboat n°4 (I couldn’t trace back which one she was supposed to climb on so I deduced) This boat was lowered at 1.55 am and the ship sink at 2.20am, so I modified the timeline to be more coherent (because they probably lost quite a bit of time while fighting with Dan Tae)

 

Dantae is singing the nursery rhymes "Hide and Seek" while he is searching for the couple in the dining room. That fight in the dining room is a deleted scene, but originally it happens between Lovejoy (Cal's henchman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMEim4b3aY