Chapter 2 : When both enter each other's worlds

Logryeon : the unsinkable ship a Penthouse AU

The next day, as Su-Ryeon is heading toward the third class deck, her heart is full of apprehensiveness. She stops halfway and closes her eyes.

“Was the sun always so beautiful and encompassing ? I never even paid attention to how good its warmth felt on my skin and how bright is the light he cast upon our world before…” she resumes walking, feeling energized. She steps in the third class community room. People from all origins are chatting happily between each other. She can even hear distant music notes in the background. She scans the room searching for Logan. People turn around on her passage and whisper between each other. She finally spots a distinct silver blonde haired man in a corner of a room. She walks toward him, determined.

She freezes on the spot just a few meters away from him.

“Yoon...Yoon Hee-ah…” she blurts out, making her red haired friend turn around.

Yoonhee stands up abruptly and apologizes profusely.

“Miss….I didn’t mean to slack off...I apologize…” Su-Ryeon stops her.

“Yoonhee...I already told you to call me by my name when my aunt isn’t around...I don’t mind...keep enjoying yourself, I have business here today” It takes a few seconds for Su-Ryeon to recognize the baby-faced man Yoonhee was chatting with.

“Isn’t that Logan’s friend ?” she thinks, tilting her head as his eyes widens when he also recognizes her. Logan’s other friend taps him on the shoulder to make him turn around.

Logan’s jaw drops when he spots her. He stands up, his movements slightly awkward.

Su-Ryeon smiles at him, hiding her nervousness behind a courteous facade.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Lee”

“Hello again, I guess”

“May I speak with you ?” she asks

“Yes of course” he answers right away. Yoonhee, Yoonchul and Junki stare at them, amusement clear on their faces. Su-Ryeon purses her lips.

“Privately….if possible” she adds.

“Of course...no problem, let’s go” he answers, following after her.

 

Logan is lost about what to do when she asks him about his background as they are strolling on the deck a few moments after.

“My...my backstory isn’t really interesting....I have been living alone for a few years after something...happened with my family...as I had no closer kin...I left America and somehow ended up in Korea…” Su-Ryeon sensed it was a sensitive subject for him, so she didn’t pry further, although it obviously ignited her curiosity.

“And why am I curious about his past to start with ? it’s not my business…” She scolds herself mentally. Logan jolts her out of her thoughts.

“Well...Su-Ryeon-ssi...we have walked quite a lot around this boat deck already...it is nice but...if I am not mistaken it’s not to talk about weather or my past that you came here today, right ?” Their arms briefly brush against each other as they keep walking before she finally answers.

“Mr Logan Lee…” Logan corrected her right away.

“Logan”

“Lo...Logan” she repeats back before keeping on.

“Logan...I wanted to thank you personally for what you did yesterday...not just for pulling me back...but also for your discretion” she says.

“You’re welcome” Su-Ryeon takes a deep breath after his response.

“Look...I am fully aware of what you must think deep down...poor little rich girl...what does she know about misery ?” Logan stops walking.

“How do you expect me to feel that...I understand your hopelessness more than anyone...because I almost did the same one day….it wasn’t an accident...I didn’t fell through thin ice...I jumped over myself, Su-Ryeon-ssi” he thinks, his gaze darkening upon remembering that period of his life. As he kept silent for too long, Su-Ryeon turned around. Logan smiles warmly to hide his trouble.

“Not at all…” he finally answers. Su-Ryeon smiles back at him.

“This is not what I was thinking at all...what I was thinking was...what could have happened to this girl to make her think she had no way out ?” he adds. Su-Ryeon hesitates before answering. But she really feels at ease with him, so she feels she can confide in him.

“I...it was everything...my whole world and....all the people in it…” she begins to pace on the deck and Logan follows her with his eyes, leaning against the railing.

“The inertia of my life….plunging ahead and me...I am just powerless...I cannot stop it” she concludes, holding out her hand to show him her huge engagement ring. his fingers wrap her own subtly as he looks down at her hand. The feather light contact between the two sends sparks of electricity to both at the same time, starting at the tips of their fingers and diffusing in their whole body. But obviously, they cannot make it known to each other. Logan’s mind couldn’t be farther from what he displayed on the outside. He is staring at her hand silently, but his mind is louder than a room full of people.

“He doesn’t understand her in the slightest...any woman would be happy sporting that gorgeous and grandiose diamond on her hand...but Shim Su-Ryeon is not any woman...she is one of a kind...she is a goddess...that ring belongs to the trash, Joo Dan Tae…maybe I should act out on that nagging feeling of mine...and take her away from you...” thinks Logan.

“Look at this...you would have sunk straight to the bottom” he teases her.

“500 invitations have gone out...in addition to the high society of New York, even his own circle from Korea will be here...literally…la crème de la crème” she explains, bitterly.

“All the while I am just feeling...I am standing in the middle of a crowded room...screaming at the top of my lungs...and no one even looks up” she adds. Logan finally releases her hand, the tingling feeling it evoked lingering behind.

“Do you love him ?” he asks all of a sudden. Logan’s innocent question brings up a storm inside her.

“Excuse me ?” she asks.

“I asked….do you love him or not ?”

She snaps at him out of pure self-preservation.

“How rude you are....you shouldn’t be asking me that question” Logan’s eyes sparkled at her answer.

“You are not putting me under your spell today” she thinks, averting her gaze quickly.

“Well...it isn’t that complicated….do you love that guy or not ?” Su-Ryeon shakes her head after his last question.

“This is not a suitable conversation…”

“Why won’t you just answer the question ?” he says, his tone playful but his mind in turmoil. But Su-Ryeon slips away, she turns around, slamming her forehead.

“I can’t believe this...this is absurd…you don’t know me and I don’t know you…and we are not having this conversation at all…” Logan tilts his head, amusement clear on his face as she keeps talking.

“....you are so rude, uncouth and even pretentious…” Logan snickers this time, leaning on the railing behind him. “And I am leaving now, like right now” she concludes, reaching her hand to him. He takes it, still grinning.

“Logan…no Mr. Logan Lee…it’s been a pleasure, really” she adds.

“She is really explosive, I didn’t expect this at all” he thinks as she shakes his hand and starts to speak again.

“I sought you out today to thank you…and now that I have thanked you…”

“But you insulted me” he argues back. Su-Ryeon’s eyes widened at the audacity.

“But you deserved it totally” she replies.

“Alright” both say. Logan looks down at their hand that they kept shaking the whole time.

“I thought you were leaving, miss” Su-Ryeon released his hand.

“I am” she replies before turning around. But she stops right away and turns back.

“You are so annoying “ Logan breaks into laughter.

“Wait a minute…I don’t have to leave…this is my part of the ship…you leave” she adds, coming back to him.

“Well, well…who is being rude now ?” Su-Ryeon looks at him in disbelief.

“What is that stupid thing you keep carrying around ?” she asks, snatching his sketchbook from his hands.

“So what…are you an artist or something ?” she adds, looking at the drawings.

“He draws so well…how beautiful” she thinks to herself, sitting on the bench behind them. Logan follows her with his eyes but doesn’t join her right away.

“They are rather good…they’re very good actually” her gaze softens as she keeps looking at the pages. Logan keeps staring at her a short moment before joining her.

“They are very good Logan…this is exquisite work” says Su-Ryeon, admirative.

“Oh…they didn’t think much of it in Paris” Su-Ryeon is surprised upon the mention of the city.

“Paris ? you sure travel a lot for a p…well a person with limited means” she stops herself in time but it’s too late. She looks down after her sentence, embarrassed.

“Sure…I intended to stay here actually…but he found me here and sent his minions after me…and I ended up in Korea, somehow…it remind me I met Yoonchul in Paris” Logan reminisces inside before answering to Su-Ryeon

“Go on…I am a poor guy, you can say it, it’s only the truth” he says in a light-hearted tone.

“Being rich isn’t that great…you are so talented, it is actually worth more than wealth itself” she says in a low voice, but Logan still heard it. His chest feel oddly warm after her words.

Su-Ryeon covers upon witnessing the next drawings, portraits.

“This is…are these drawn from real life models ?” she asks. Logan nods.

“You liked this woman…you used her several times as a model” she notes.

“Well…she had beautiful hands, right ?” Su-Ryeon turns her head toward him.

“Logan…you must have had a love affair with her, right ?” she teases him.

“No…not at all, I only really liked her hands…look…she was a one legged e”

Su-Ryeon gasps after he shows her another one of the drawings where we can see the leg of the model.

“Logan maybe didn’t date this woman…but seeing how confident he is, he probably had love affairs with other women” thinks Su-Ryeon with a hint of jealousy to her own dismay.

He shows her other drawings, his tone enthusiastic.

“You are really gifted…I love these drawings a lot…you see people…as they are” says Su-Ryeon, closing the sketchbook.

“I see you too” he answers. Su-Ryeon breaks into a smile.

“Really ? and what do you see ?”

“You wouldn’t have jumped, Su-Ryeon-ssi” Su-Ryeon's smile vanishes.

“Because you are stronger than what you think” he adds before standing up.

Su-Ryeon follows him. This is already late afternoon, but she doesn’t wish to come back yet. They start strolling again, passing under a covered portion of the deck.

“So Logan…what was the most memorable for you in Paris ?” asks Su-Ryeon, curious.

“For me…Paris was all about the streets and how to put it on paper…do you get it ?”

“I do…I would dream of running away and becoming an artist…even if I end up in an attic, I would be poor, but free” she says cheerfully.

“You wouldn’t even last two days…there is no warm water and no caviar either” he jokes. But Su-Ryeon takes it very seriously.

“I happen to hate caviar…and more importantly, I hate it when people tell me what dreams I should have or not” Logan looks down.

“You are right…I am sorry”

“It’s alright…you know, everyone expects me to be that delicate flower which I’m not…I am strong and sturdy like a horse” she answers. Logan ponders on her words.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi is not a delicate flower…but she isn’t a horse either…she is a mystery…an enigma…she looks child-like and vulnerable one second…and the next she takes you by surprise and is strong, bold and mature…with that icy glint in her eyes that a young woman cannot possibly possesses at such a young age…” he wonders. Su-Ryeon giggles.

“Well…maybe not a horse but…”

“Su-Ryeon-ssi would be more like a butterfly…”

“How do you reach that conclusion ?” she asks genuinely curious.

“Butterflies symbolize transformation, right ? aren’t you very different from yesterday ?” Su-Ryeon ponders on his words for a short while.

“Then Logan is a phoenix…” Logan is wide-eyed after her sentence.

“I am even more curious to know how you came up with this ?”

“Because Logan is as intense as the sun…he cast light on darkness effortlessly and allowed me to be reborn again…how I wish I could run away from that icy world and stand proudly under the sun too” she thinks.

“I thought it would fit you…because you look like a free spirit, someone who can fly, while I can’t and you’re definitely bright and sunny…”

“...And phoenixes are said to rise from the ashes of their predecessor…unfortunately…you give me too much credit, I got consumed real good by mine and ended up running away” he thinks, looking down.

“Actually you can…what would you like to do if you could do it right now ?”

“I would like… to do something with my life, I don’t want to just stand there and be decorative…” as she finishes her sentence, a waiter stops the couple.

“Do you want some tea ? or maybe some bouillon ?” Su-Ryeon shakes her head and declines, firmly, to the amusement of Logan who breaks into laughter.

“There is something driving me…I can feel it Logan…I don’t know yet what it is it…be it becoming a painter…a sculptor or even…a dancer…like Isadora Duncan” she says, executing a gracious spin that would put many ballerinas to shame after her sentence.

“Or even maybe become a movie picture actress ?” she says as they pass in front of a photographer.Logan breaks into a smile as Su-Ryeon takes a dramatic pose.

“She is really amazing…she is so full of life…how could she harbor the thought of ending her life when she still has so many things to accomplish and experience ?” he wonders.

“After I arrived in Korea I mainly lived on small jobs…I worked mainly as a waiter…but I also tried to live off my paintings…I remember settling at Tando port and selling portraits here, 10 cents each” he explains.

“How I wish I could be like you…just head out for the horizon whenever I feel like it…tell me…that we will go to a pier one day…even if it’s a blatant lie and only remain in our talks” she says.

“No…let’s do it, we will drink cheap beer…you can even do horse-riding on the beaches…but you have to do it like a real cow-boy, no sidesaddle stuff” Su-Ryeon laughs.

“You mean…with one leg on each side ? it looks difficult…you will have to teach me”

“Of course…no problem”

“Then…you teach me how to ride like a man,” Su-Ryeon says.

“And chew tobacco like a man,” Logan adds.

“And even swear like a man,” says Su-Ryeon, giggling.

“What ? you didn’t learn some in finishing school ?”

“No way…I was in a very strict all girls school…no swearing allowed here” answers Su-Ryeon.

“This is easy…I will teach you some, follow me, we need a better setting” he takes her hand and begins to drag her along. But she doesn’t follow.

“No…Logan…wait…I can’t do this…what if someone hears me…”

“Who cares ?” he answers as he drags her to a portion of the deck with fewer people.

“Look…here you can express yourself freely…here is one for warm-up…”Shut the up wit” Su-Ryeon covers to suppress a laugh.

“This is so rude”

“This is your turn…repeat after me, alright ? Next…don’t mess with me dumb or I will kick your arse” Su-Ryeon giggles

“I cannot say this out loud…this is very uncouth…”

“I will allow you one joker…then you say this…son of a b*tch” Su-Ryeon covers again.

“Alright…I will try…son of a b*tch” she says, her voice almost a whisper.

“No…no…no…you need to say it louder, like this, son of a b*tch…you need to really mean it, you have to channel that anger…you really need to dig in the depths of your heart…that underlying wish to offend people…don’t you have anyone you disliked in your life before ? Su-Ryeon listened attentively as if Logan was teaching a lecture in class, nodding seriously from time to time, her gaze focused. She closes her eyes to reflect on his words briefly, leaving Logan the opportunity to gaze at her to his heart’s content.

“She is so serious about it…that genuine attitude of hers is really something…”

Dan Tae suddenly crosses Su-Ryeon’s mind and she repeats the words, but louder this time.

“Son of a b*tch” Logan breaks into laughter. Su-Ryeon feels slightly guilty afterward. The man didn’t really do anything to deserve the insult, but this is how she truly feels deep down.

“How come you are so elegant even when you are swearing ?”

“I am elegant ? no way…” says Su-Ryeon, looking down shyly.

“You really are…it sounded like poetry almost…let’s do a last one” Su-Ryeon grins and nods in approval.

“You need some broomstick massage, bastard” at the same moment he utters his words, they hear someone coughing behind them. Su-Ryeon spins around with Logan and her jaw drops when she sees her aunt, accompanied by Kang Mari and another lady. Su-Ryeon clears and walks to her aunt.

“My aunt…may I introduce Logan Lee ?” Her aunt scans Logan, her gaze icy.

“Charmed I’m sure” she answers, her voice sharp. Her aunt’s company was gracious and curious about the man who saved Su-Ryeon’s life. But Su-Ryeon felt a chill going down her spine and was even a little ashamed by the way her aunt kept staring at Logan the whole time.

“She looks at him like an insect…a dangerous insect which must be squashed quickly” she thinks. Su-Ryeon left shortly after with her aunt to get ready upon hearing the horn announcing the upcoming dinner. She threw a last glance toward Logan. He tilted his head in response, the corner of his lips curling into a faint smile. He waves at her.

“See you later Su-Ryeon-ssi” he says silently. Kang Mari call his attention.

“Son..son” Logan look at her.

“Do you have any slightest idea of what you’re doing ?”

“Not really…”

“You’re about to go into the snake pit…what are you going to wear ?” Logan shrugs, pointing to his plain clothes.

“I knew it…follow me, '' she answers. As he follows behind her, Logan’s gaze becomes resolute. He faked ingenuity in reality.

“I am well aware of what kind of people I will find there…Joo Dan Tae will be the worst kind of snake out of them all I bet…but…she is different, I am willing to risk it…if we can be both in the same space if only a few hours” he thinks with determination.

 

What hit Logan first as he got close to the glass door leading to the grand staircase are the muffled notes of “On the Beautiful Blue Danube” coming from inside. A doorman opens the door and he steps in the vast room, taking in his surroundings.

He is used to luxury but this is beyond what he expected. The wood panelling, the immaculate marbled floor, the crystal chandeliers, the setting is grandiose and fitting of the majestic ship. He looks up briefly at the huge glass dome above his head.

People greet him politely as he climbs down the big staircase.

He stops in front of an intricate clock on the landing after the first steps.

“I never thought I would throw myself into that kind of setting again on my own volition one day…I must be insane, somehow” he thinks as he leans on a pillar after finishing his descent.

“Thousands of steel from the Joo’s family are in this ship” Logan lifts his head upon hearing the deep and imperious tone of Joo Dan Tae.

“Which part ?” asks Su-Ryeon’s aunt.

“All the best ones…of course” assures Dan Tae.

“Then you’re accountable if there is a problem…where is my niece ?” Logan sighs and risks a glance toward them. They pass in front of him without acknowledging his presence.

“Fine by me you jerk” thinks Logan with a sneer.

“I don’t know, she must be around, let’s salute the countess” answers Dan Tae.

Logan leans on the pillar again, starting to feel impatient. She should arrive soon.

 

Su-Ryeon deliberately put distance between her aunt and Joo Dan Tae as they are heading toward the grand staircase. Because tonight she wants to stare without being distracted. She stops at the mezzanine just a few meters away and sighs deeply.

“Tonight it’s my turn to be shameless and gaze at you…you had a headstart…but now I have caught up” she thinks, smiling softly.

Every guest is dressed to a nine and everything shines brightly, but that everything looks oddly fake and bland next to Logan Lee in his cream white suit, the light color complimenting his warm tone and the metallic hue of his hair gleaming under the artificial light above him. “Logan…” she whispers, surprised by the sweet feeling it evokes in her. Her gait is slow, as to not be noticed as she begins her descent toward him. Finally he notices her and his gazes soften immediately.

 

Shim Su-Ryeon is standing above the last steps separating them. The ornate clock behind her and a beautiful antique angel statue forming a painting alongside her. Both observe each other silently, wishing to stop time briefly. She is wearing a bustier rose quartz high-waisted evening gown, the pleated skirt flowing at each of her movements. Su-Ryeon owns up to her nickname of goddess again to Logan’s own dismay.

Logan laments internally.

“Seems the god Kairos took mercy on me and guided me on your way…Each single step I took led me here, to witness you walking toward me. You are the moment, the perfect depiction of fleeting beauty and I’m glad I took his hand and seized the opportunity…now I would like to freeze you in time*”

 

“I love how you look at me…so much that it’s beginning to be dangerous…” wonders Su-Ryeon as she stops just a step above him and he places a kiss on her hand after taking hold of it. Su-Ryeon looks at him with a mix of amusement and trouble.

“I saw that in a silent movie one day and always wanted to try it”

“Or I never got that entranced by someone before to the point of wishing to do it too” he adds for himself as Su-Ryeons breaks into a smile. They link arms and join Dantae and Su-Ryeon’s aunt who are still discussing with other passengers.

“Darling…surely you remember, Mr. Lee ?”

Dan Tae looks at him briefly with his usual arrogance and feint surprise.

“Mr Lee ? it’s amazing…you could almost pass as a first class passenger” Logan plaster an amiable smile on his face.

“Yes…almost”

“Maybe because I was one at one point…and there is nothing to feel proud about, if I would be linked to the likes of yours” thinks Logan.

Su-Ryeon guides him to the dining room and she points at several passengers to introduce them to him.

“There is the Countess of Rothes…over there is John Jacob Astor” Logan tense up imperceptibly upon hearing his name. Logan is pretty sure to have heard his name before. He is a business acquaintance of his father.

“Over there are the three madams…Mme Song and…” He is only half listening as Su-Ryeon tells him about other passengers. Kang Mari joins them and what he dreads happens, they go to salute Mr. Astor who seems to be dubious when Su-Ryeon introduces him as a nouveau riche from Korea.

Su-Ryeon steals glances at Logan as they are heading toward their table

“He must be nervous…but it doesn’t show at all…as if he always belonged here from the beginning” she wonders as they take their respective places around the table.

Her aunt begins to attack almost right away.

“Tell us more about the accommodations in steerage Mr. Lee…I hear they’re quite good”

“The best I have ever seen…hardly any rats” he answers. People look at them curiously.

“Mr. Lee joined us from third class…he was of some help to my fiance yesterday” explains Dan Tae to the people around the table.

“Of course you would intervene here” thinks Logan.

“Mr. Lee is quite a fine artist…he showed me some of his works today,” says Su-Ryeon proudly.

“Su-Ryeon and I differ in our definition of fine art…not to impugn on your work sir” Logan spotted the fleeting indignation in Su-Ryeon’s eyes. She is about to retort when Logan replies back. She has time to see the spark she has come to know as he begins to speak in a honeyed tone, full of hidden irony.

“Of course…without casting doubt on the fact that your taste in art must be the finest, as I am aware your fiance also possesses an acute sense of appreciating beauty in the unexpected…which is why I totally assumed I was indeed talented” She purses her lips and cross eyes with Logan.

As the first course is served, Su-Ryeon notices he seems quite used to the cutlery as he doesn’t seem to hesitate before seizing the right fork and knife.

“I would assume they don’t use as much silverware as us ? maybe he just picked on it right now…he is very quick” she thinks. But Logan always gave off a refined aura, even when wearing plain clothes, so it only added up to the overall mystery surrounding the young man. Su-Ryeon’s aunt launches her second attack next, asking him where he lives. Logan explains that for now his official address is the RMS Titanic and the rest lies in God's hand.

“For example, I won this trip with a lucky hand at poker, a very lucky hand,” he said next, looking straight at Su-Ryeon. One of the passengers agreed.

“All life is a game of luck” Dan Tae intervened, as expected.

“A real man makes his own luck…right, Mr. Lee ?” Logan smiles mysteriously at him, his mind full of thoughts.

“I agree totally Joo Dan Tae…I will try my luck as well…I hope it doesn’t end up falling flat on your nose though”

“And you find this way of living appealing ?” ask Ok-Gyo (Su-Ryeon’s aunt)

“I do…I have everything I need…I have air in my lungs, blank sheets of papers…I love waking up not knowing what will happen, who I am going to meet ? Life is a surprise, you never know what hand you’ll get dealt next” he stops his monologue to throw a lighter in the direction of Dan Tae, who catches it, surprised.

“We need to make each day count,” he concludes.

Most passengers agree with a smile. Su-Ryeon raises her glass of champagne.

“To make it count,” she says with assurance. Logan gazes at her as the guests raise their glasses and repeat back her sentence. Only Dan Tae is late to follow, his expression sheepish

“Are we having each other’s back tonight or something ?” thinks Logan amused.

“Isn’t he amazing ? He won over most of the table in the span of a dinner…and it is the first time I actually enjoyed an evening in a long time” thinks Su-Ryeon.

 

The men start to leave after dinner. Su-Ryeon explains to him that they are having a brandy in the smoking room

“Time to congratulate each other on being masters of the universe” she sneers, making him smile. Logan gets ready to leave after declining politely an invitation by one of the gentlemen to join them. Logan ignores Dan Tae who throws a last snarky remark and goes toward Su-Ryeon, who isn’t really ready to part ways yet.

“Are you leaving ?”

“Time to go back to say hello to the rats…Good Night, Su-Ryeon-ssi” he answers, slipping a piece of paper in her hand discreetly before kissing her hand.

Su-Ryeon unfolds the paper nervously once he is gone.

“Make it count…meet me at the clock” Su-Ryeon throws glances around her, her heart starting to race. She doesn’t hesitate for long. She stands up and barely says anything to her aunt, walking toward the exit.

Logan is waiting in front of the clock, his back turned to her. She stops briefly, taking a heavy breath. She knows it’s wrong. She should just be content to have spent dinner in his company and they should go their separate ways now. But she still takes these steps, the clock’s bell resonating at each of her steps and he turns around with a smile, making that nagging voice in the back of her head disappear in the background.

“Want to go to a real party ?” he says.

 


* About the god Kairos Logan mentions....Both Chronos and Kairos are gods of time...but while Chronos represent physical, quantitative time, Kairos is qualitative, he represents "fleeting time" and "opportunities" Kairos was depicted as a young and beautiful man. He had winged shoes and is always moving forward, he has long hair in front and short hair in the back.As such, he could only be "grabbed" from the front, once he cross you, you can never catch him again...Even Zeus couldn't. Like every opportunities, if you don't seize it as it comes it's gone forever. Jack was totally opportunity and heaven timing ridden by the way.