004

The Stealer

 

 


“So, how are you liking it so far?”

Ahyoung was mindlessly fiddling with her phone as she crossed the street with her friend, the girl paused and nudged her.

“What?”

“Your new school, how is it so far? From what I’ve heard, they tend to focus on sports there. Is it true?”

“I think so? Sports, really?” Ahyoung blinked at her, Haneul sighed and rolled her eyes at her friend.

“I told you not to leave campus on your first day, you should have at least given yourself a tour, or ask you brother to show you around.”

“It’s weird there. And, I only have like two years left in high school, why bother?” Ahyoung shrugged as she crossed her arms, Haneul chewed on her lower lip.

“Still, you should have fun. You deserve it.”

Ahyoung grew quiet, she looked up and noticed the flurry of the ugly navy blue skirts nearby, she sighed.

“And, that shade of blue is not ugly. You’re just being you.” Haneul pointed out as she hooked arms with the girl, they approached the familiar wrought iron gates.

“Thanks for walking me back to hell.”

Haneul chuckled in reply, her eyes went towards the school gates and her brows rose.

“Whoa, lucky you, this new school has a lot of hot guys. Look, it’s like a never-ending flow of~”

“Haneul, shut up.” Ahyoung muttered under her breath, Haneul grinned and peeled her eyes away from the gates.

“H—How is he?” She suddenly spoke, the friend paused at her sudden question.

“No one’s heard from him ever since, not even his friends. But, what we know is that he’s fine, he’s doing well.” Haneul said, keeping her tone light.

“That’s not enough.” Ahyoung replied, keeping her voice low and strained, Haneul frowned and she cupped her friend’s cheeks. The Lee girl tried swatting her hands away, Haneul wouldn’t budge.

“Cheer up, it’s a new school year. And, it’s our junior year, we may be apart, but you know I always got your back, Youngie.’

“Do not call me that. And, fine, I have your back too, just please don’t ask me to go on double dates. Please.

Ahyoung grinned, and then she noticed a tall male walking towards them, he had a polite smile on his face as they met gazes.

“Oh, and there’s this prince. I still don’t get why you wouldn’t~” Haneul shut as Ahyoung elbowed her.

“Ahyoung-ah,”

Ahyoung grimaced and she successfully removed Haneul’s palms from her cheeks, she turned her head, and she grew sheepish.

“Oppa,”

Younghoon was approaching them, and he had Ahyoung’s backpack over one shoulder.

“I see you two..went out for a bit.” He said, Haneul grew pink and nodded.

“We did. I was planning to go back earlier, but…oops.” She murmured as she tried to take her bag from him, Younghoon sighed at her, and refused to hand over the backpack.

“I told her not to do it on her first day, oppa.” Haneul blurted out.

“It’s also your first day, you idiot.”

“But, I’m not the one with the new school.” She pointed out, Ahyoung was about to reply when Younghoon nudged her.

“Your brother’s waiting by the parking lot. Haneul-ah, do you have a ride home?” Younghoon’s gaze went to her, Ahyoung grew amused as she watched her friend turn meek.

“I—I do, the driver is already on his way here, oppa.”

“Oh, then you should stand by the gates. It safer there.” Younghoon suggested, Haneul nodded back and Ahyoung briefly stuck her tongue at her friend.

The two girls bid goodbye, and soon Ahyoung was walking with the older male back to campus.

“Did you have fun today? Well, the first half of the day.” Younghoon corrected himself as Ahyoung linked arms with him, forgetting that a bunch of senior girls were glaring at her for it earlier.

“It was okay.”

“Made new friends?” Younghoon was smiling as they reached the parking lot, and some of his schoolmates couldn’t help but stare.

“I spoke to…this girl, she’s class president, I think.”

“You spoke to her, or she spoke to you?” He was teasing her, Hyunjae spotted them and he started the car.

“I said hi back.” She said, being defensive, Younghoon chuckled and mussed her hair.

“So, what was her name?”

Ahyoung paused, her lips pursed together.

“And this is why you shouldn’t skip class on your first day at a new school, sweetheart.”

“You skipped again?!” Hyunjae screeched as they reached him, Ahyoung hurriedly got inside the vehicle, Younghoon grinned and handed the girl’s bag to her brother.

“Talk to her, at least put her at ease, she’s uncomfortable here.” He said, Hyunjae scrunched his nose before replying.

“How did you know she’d ditch?”

“It’s an Ahyoung thing. Drive safely.” Younghoon slapped his friend’s arm before heading to his waiting car.

 

 

 

Kevin saw Chaerin slide down from Juyeon’s black G Class Wagon, he jogged towards the girl.

“You’re early.” Chaerin mused as the male reached her.

“Don’t we have that Math thing today? Those booklets mister Seon like so much. The other class mentioned it yesterday.” Kevin spoke, Juyeon appeared from the other side of the car with his bags.

“Ah, but I don’t think it’s going to be graded, it’s like an exercise or something. He’s still on leave.” Chaerin explained, Juyeon joined the two and he looked around.

“Right, Changmin texted last night, he said he’ll be back by next week.” Juyeon spoke, Chaerin frowned and nodded.

“But, the new student from yesterday, did you know that Younghoon sunbae came by after class?” Chaerin began as she leaned against the car, Kevin glanced at her.

“Why?”

“Didn’t she disappear? Younghoon sunbae came by and got her bag.” Chaerin said with a small smile.

“I think she skipped classes. I mean, that’s the only explanation, if she got sick, the nurse would have come by to get her things.” Kevin shrugged.

“She did cut class. I love her.” Chaerin was amused, just as a silver Range Rover arrived at the lot, and their new classmate slid down from the front seat.

“I don’t think you should.” Juyeon murmured, just as Hyunjae appeared from the driver’s side of the vehicle.

“Oh, so they are together. So, what does that make Younghoon sunbae?” Kevin said as they started to move, but Chaerin was still looking at the two. Hyunjae was talking to the girl as they went up the steps, she didn’t miss how Ahyoung was holding onto the older male’s sleeve.

Hyunjae was nodding back, occasionally grinning at her words.

“Chaerin-ah, your crush on the guy has to stop, or you actually ask him out. That’s how it works.” Chanhee suddenly appeared beside them, and she almost tripped.

“Hey!” She said loudly, well, loud enough that students glanced at her curiously. Ahyoung and Hyunjae were also looking at her.

Chanhee chuckled and hopped away from her.

“Class president.” Ahyoung said, Chaerin blinked and met her gaze.

“I’ll get going. Have fun.” Hyunjae smiled, Chaerin saw how the male patted her cheek before moving on.

“Ahyoung, hi.” Chaerin cleared as she walked with the girl, a few steps ahead of them, Kevin and Chanhee were grinning.

“Is she going to befriend her crush’s girlfriend to get to him?” Kevin mused, Chanhee shook his head.

“But, does that explain why Hyunjae sunbae’s been rejecting all those girls for years now? Because of her?” Chanhee chimed in as they reached the main building, Juyeon wordlessly followed the two.

“Could be.”

 

 

 

Ahyoung scrunched her nose as she leaned her chin on the table, one of their professors was not around and had sent some sort of booklet exercise for the whole class to answer. They even had to transfer to the library so that they could do some “research” in case they needed help.

She had to roll her eyes at that, they had their phones, going to the library was kind of pointless. She sat up again and did a quick glance around, she felt uncomfortable at the new campus. But it wasn’t like a really bad thing, it was probably because everything was new to her.

“It can’t be. I know this. I know how to answer this.”

She spun around and noticed one of her classmates muttering to himself as he stared at the questionnaire while drumming his Apple Pen on the table.

No, I used to know. I knew how to answer this. What the hell, Kev.” He continued, Ahyoung turned away and checked the time on her phone, she still had thirty minutes till lunch and she was bored.

“Kevin, let it go. It’s not graded.” One of his friends joined them, Ahyoung glanced at them again and she chewed on the insides of cheek.

“I can’t. I remember knowing how to do this, it’s just….ugh.” He muttered, Juyeon grinned and pushed the booklet away from him.

Chanhee plopped down next to them, the movement caused for Chaerin to slowly wake up.

“S—So, anything new, Moon?” She said with a small yawn, and then she paused, realizing that someone was standing beside Kevin’s seat.

Actually, there’s another way to do it. If you rearrange the formula on both sides,” Ahyoung carefully said, keeping her voice low. Kevin slowly blinked back, the girl was stretching one palm towards him.

I…I can show you if you want.” She said, Chanhee sighed, he took the pen from his friend and handed it to the girl.

“Come join us, new girl.” Chanhee smiled at her, Chaerin sat up and watched as Ahyoung started to scribble on the Ipad. Juyeon’s brows rose as he noticed that she was already halfway through the question.

Did you take advance sophomore math?” Kevin asked her, Ahyoung briefly looked up and nodded back.

I had to, my teacher didn’t want me in her class. So, I got transferred.

Why did the teacher not want you at the class? Did you…skip often?” Kevin replied in Korean, Chaerin and Juyeon winced at his words. But, a small smile appeared on Ahyoung’s face.

“No, it’s because I always finished the quizzes and exams first, she assumed I was cheating. And, to be honest, I found that class boring.”

“Ah, you’re one of those kids.” Chaerin solemnly nodded, Ahyoung put the pen down and looked at her.

“What do you mean?” She asked, and then her eyes finally nodded on Juyeon.

The male met her gaze, Ahyoung tilted her head briefly, but she gave him a small knowing smile before turning away.

Chanhee’s brows went up, not missing the silent exchange.

“You’re already ridiculously pretty, you’re smart too. Will you be my seatmate?” Chaerin mused at her.

“Well, if you were forced to take lessons as a child, i.e, also referred to as abuse, you’d have enough Math problems floating around your head too.” Ahyoung said in a joking tone, Kevin chuckled.

“You two,” Chanhee began, his eyes went to Juyeon and the new girl.

“Do you~”

“Ahyoung-ah,”

Ahyoung looked up and she broke into one of her smiles, Chaerin followed her gaze, and their other female classmates were also staring. Kim Younghoon was at the library with them, and seeing him up close was an experience itself.

“I know, lunch.” Ahyoung mused as she slowly stood up and gathered her things. The male slowly smiled and some were surprised to see him do it so openly.

Thanks for helping me out, Ahyoung.” Kevin said to her, the girl nodded back at him.

“I’m Kevin. You already know Chaerin.” Kevin recited while gesturing towards the group with his lips.

Yeah, see you later.

“What do you feel like eating?” They heard Younghoon speak as they left the table.

“Well, she doesn’t hiss when you talk to her.” Chanhee teasingly said as he poked Chaerin’s shoulder.

“She doesn’t, I spoke to her this morning. She just had some basic questions about the campus.”

“So, they are competing for her, huh? Hyunjae sunbae and the prince?” Kevin was pointing at Younghoon.

“But, aren’t those two best friends?”

 

 

 

Juyeon ran his fingers through his hair as his younger teammates began with their drills, they were training at the indoor court today since it was raining outside. He glanced around, some of the seniors were playing a friendly game at the other half of the court. They’ll probably clear out as soon as the coach arrives.

“Hey,”

He looked up as one of his same age teammates walked towards him, Hongjoong slung one arm on his shoulder before talking.

“It looks like we’re going to die this afternoon.”

“I agree.” Juyeon nodded back.

“They’re all talking about the championship; we haven’t even made it to the finals. The games have not even started yet.” He continued, the two walked towards the bleachers and sat down.

“The coach mentioned new plans, even our drills will be changed too.” Juyeon said as he leaned back and stretched his legs before him.

“I heard about that too, and,” Hongjoong paused when the doors suddenly swung open and a girl walked in. And the whole court full of male students grew quiet.

“Wow, who’s that?” Hongjoong whispered to his friend, Juyeon watched as Ahyoung walked in the room, with a smile on her face and an iced coffee in one hand, clearly not realizing that all eyes were on her as she approached the group of seniors sitting at the other end of the court.

“Do you know her? Is she new? I’d know a pretty face if I see one, but she doesn’t seem familiar.” Hongjoong started sputtering questions while looking at her.

“She’s in my class.” Juyeon finally replied just as Ahyoung reached the older students. The girl seemed to be in a good mood, or it was probably because of the coffee.

“Oh, Ahyoung-ah.” Jacob was the one who spoke to her, the girl nodded back, her eyes still flitting about.

“Hey Baecob.”

Jacob’s brows rose, but he grinned.

I kind of decided on that, it sounds better than calling you Bae, or oppa. I hope you don’t mind.”

I don’t, what brings you here?” Jacob spoke to her in his usual friendly tone.

“Have you seen my brother?”

“Have you checked the pool area?”

Ahyoung slowly nodded and she puffed her cheeks.

“Right, he mentioned that he had to meet up with his fellow fishies. I forgot, thank you.”

Fishies.” Jacob repeated amused, the girl shrugged.

Swim team people. I have to go look for him.

Jacob nodded at the girl, Ahyoung made her way across the court and she paused, Juyeon was trying to shush Hongjoong beside him.

And they both paused as they realized that the girl was looking at them. Hongjoong stilled as she started walking towards the two, Juyeon grew amused.

“Classmate,”

“It’s Juyeon.” Juyeon replied with a small nod, Ahyoung slowly nodded.

“Do you know where Kevin is?”

“He’s probably headed home. Why?” Juyeon said, Hongjoong was still blatantly staring at her, but she didn’t seem to notice.

“Oh, he left his iPad with me. Can you text him so that he won’t panic or something? He seems to be the type to.” She murmured softly, Juyeon nodded back, realizing that the girl had become instant friends with Kevin over Math.

“I’ll text him.”

“Good.” Ahyoung said, her eyes went to his jersey, and she looked around.

“Ah, this is the varsity team.” Juyeon heard her whisper to herself, and she took a step back from them.

“Yes, this is where we practice.” Juyeon replied, the girl nodded back and looked around them. Hongjoong was about to speak when the girl looked at his friend again.

“It’s Ahyoung.”

“I know.” Juyeon replied with a small smile, the girl nodded back before leaving the basketball court.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++