017

The Stealer

 

 

 

Hyunjae smiled back at the juniors who greeted them as they made their way back to class, beside him, Younghoon was quietly checking his phone.

“Hyunjae-ah,”

The male glanced at his friend briefly as they headed up the stairs.

“Did you finally make up with your sister? Or do I still have to act as buffer?” He asked, the other male rolled his eyes, it was very Younghoon of Younghoon to take Ahyoung’s side.

“Yes. No more siding with Ji Seonmi or else I lose my precious baby princess.”

“Do…not ever call her that to her face.” Younghoon mused back, Hyunjae chuckled but the taller male paused, his eyes were downstairs, at the campus gardens.

“She’s…She’s close with those basketball guys.” He stated, Hyunjae followed his gaze, his sister was crossing the gardens with a tall male.

“Oh, Juyeon? He’s..a family friend, he’s a cool guy. Changmin and him go way back.” Hyunjae shrugged, not really minding, they moved along, but Younghoon kept his eyes on the two.

“He seems like a showoff.” Younghoon commented, he noticed how Ahyoung was freely chatting with the male as she linked arms with him. She was smiling too, while Juyeon nodded along, clearly listening to her.

Hyunjae leaned against railings, their teacher hadn’t arrived yet.

“I don’t think so.” Hyunjae said again as the two disappeared towards the other building across theirs, Younghoon pursed his lips.

“You should be relieved, she’s made friends. You know her.” Hyunjae mused as he took a long sip from his water bottle.

“Well, yeah.” Younghoon shrugged and crossed his arms.

“And, I’m kinda…pleased she transferred, can’t say I wasn’t surprised that she decided to, but…maybe being away from that dude will do her well.”

“I thought you liked him.” Younghoon shook his head.

“Yes, he’s…nice. But, I don’t know, he…seems so serious with her, and Ahyoung…is Ahyoung.” Hyunjae said as they gestured for them to get to class.

“But you,” Hyunjae said again as they reached their seats, Younghoon blinked at him.

“You never liked that guy. I know you told Ahyoung about it.”

The tall male let out a small chuckle.

“I don’t like keeping things from her.” He said as he plopped down on his seat, Hyunjae narrowed his eyes at his longtime friend.

“So, I suggest you tell her about you not being able to stop talking about her friend~”

“Shut it!”

 

 

 

“Thank you for meeting me.” Ahyoung said with a sigh before giving Haneul a tight hug, the girl snorted in reply.

“Why are you acting like I never meet with you?” She scoffed before enveloping Ahyoung in her arms.

“It’s been a while since we last hung out.” Ahyoung replied in Korean as they made their way out of the school’s parking lot, Haneul looked around, curious with her friend’s new second home, or third, if she were to count her father’s place.

So, what’s the plan today?Haneul asked as they headed down, but before Ahyoung could speak a black Mercedes Benz G Class Wagon pulled over beside them.

Haneul paused, then her brows went up as the driver’s window rolled down.

“Juyeon-ah.” Ahyoung hummed with a playful grin, Haneul’s eyebrows almost reached her hairline.

“Are you going out?” The handsome male with the cold eyes spoke, he met Haneul’s gaze briefly and he gave her a small smile.

“Yes, I don’t think I’ve..properly introduced you two, but Haneul this is Juyeon. Juyeon, this is Haneul.” Ahyoung said, using her relaxed tone of voice with the male.

“Hi, nice to meet you. It’s good to know that the new friends she mentioned are actually real.”

Ahyoung rolled her eyes at him, but Juyeon smiled at her words. And Haneul could only stare, because, well, when Juyeon smiled, it was…something else.

“Do you guys need a ride? I can drop you off.” Juyeon asked them, Ahyoung shook his head at him.

“No need, but thanks. You should get going. You have that game tomorrow.” Ahyoung waved him off, Juyeon scrunched his nose at her, and then he stretched one fist to her. Haneul watched as her friend bumped fists with the male.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He spoke, the window rolled up and the car slowly eased out of school property.

Wow.” Haneul said to herself as they got inside her waiting car, Ahyoung glanced at her curiously.

“Surely, you saw all that, right?”

“What?” She asked as Haneul drove away from the school, Ahyoung made herself comfortable on her eat.

“Your new friend. The dude who sits next to you every day. Surely, you’re not blind, Ahyoung?”

Ahyoung blinked at her again, confused.

“Oh, come on, Ahyoung. Your seatmate is hot.” Haneul pointed out, Ahyoung grimaced at her words.

Please, don’t.” She murmured as they reached the mall, Haneul rolled her eyes and parked at the basement.

“Why? You don’t think he is? Are you blind?” She shifted to Korean as they hurried to the elevator, Ahyoung shook her head at the girl.

“You don’t find him handsome?” Haneul was horrified, Ahyoung sighed, cleatly, she wasn’t going to drop it.

“He is. He’s one of those strikingly good-looking guys. There, happy?”

“Oh my, you’ve..friendzoned him.” Haneul grew amused as they reached the floor, the two girls approached the clothes section.

“He’s a friend, Haneul. And it’s just that. Actually, don’t say any more crap. I like being friends with him, like, I mean it. Genuinely like being friends with him.” Ahyoung pointed out, Haneul made a face at her, but she did drop it.

“So, how are things at the other side?” Ahyoung asked as she browsed through the cardigans.

“It’s basketball season. What do you think?”

“Intense.” She mused back, Haneul picked out a Vetements piece.

“What do you think?”

“I love it. But, don’t you have…the black version of that?” Ahyoung nodded back, she grabbed a cropped biker jacket and offered it to her.

“I’m going to get both.” Haneul announced, Ahyoung grew silent and she glanced at her friend again.

“H—Hey,”

Haneul looked up from the pile of clothes she was already holding.

“Any…Any word new about..B-B~”

“Ahyoung-ah?” A familiar voice spoke from behind her, Ahyoung tensed and she slowly turned her head. Haneul’s eyes drifted to her friend and to the two males before them.

“Jungwoo sunbae..Jaehyun sunbae.” Haneul spoke first, Ahyoung’s forehead creased as she carefully returned the clothes on the rack.

“It’s been a while, Ahyoung-ah,” Jungwoo smiled at her, the girl could only nod back, keeping her eyes away. Jungwoo chewed on his lower lip, and he looked at his friend. Jaehyun was about to step forward when Ahyoung spun towards Haneul.

“I’ll go wait downstairs. Take your time.”

 

 

 

Ahyoung let out a shaky breath as she sat down by the foot of her bed, she gazed at the boxes before her and puffed her cheeks. She never had the time to unpack her old school stuff ever since she moved in, and her father asked her to dispose the things she no longer needed.

“I’m glad you’re having fun. And, being classmates with Changmin must be exciting, huh?”

Her mother cheerful voice echoed from the phone, Ahyoung hummed back.

“Yes, well, we haven’t gotten ourselves into trouble yet.”

Her mother snorted, then she turned quiet. Ahyoung began opening the boxes and started examining her things.

“Eomma, why did you call? Did appa ask you talk to me? Because, it’s not going to work.” She mumbled as she took out a couple of textbooks.

“Actually, he did. Your brother too.”

Ahyoung rolled her eyes as she arranged the books into neat stacks, she proceeded to the other box and carefully peeled the tape off on the lid.

“He mentioned the party, and Ahyoung, I’m happy that you know and are able to stand up for yourself. But, you don’t have to give her and your father a hard time because of me. Eomma’s okay now, I’m happy.”

Ahyoung paused, she set the notebooks down and glanced at her phone.

“I’m doing it for myself, just like you said, I am standing up for myself.”

“Ahyoung,”

“I asked him not to take her there. But, appa still went ahead and took her there anyway. I’m not doing it for you, I was merely holding my end of the bargain.”

Her mother sighed, Ahyoung smiled to herself, knowing that she did win the argument. A rare occasion. And she knew she was going to feel bad about this later.

“Fine. You’re right. But still, be polite, Ahyoung.”

“You shouldn’t be wasting your precious minutes on calls, eomma. Enjoy your trip, you’re on a cruise.” Ahyoung said as she stood up, the girl was about to reach for her laptop when she tripped on her old notebooks. She winced as she leaned down to rub her toe, then she halted.

“Yes, I’ll call you again tomorrow. You better sleep early.”

Ahyoung quickly ended the call, she squatted down the floor again and reached for the notebook, her forehead creased as she lay it across her lap. And then she opened it, her lips curled up as she was greeted by dozens of doodles and sketches.

“Most of it..are his.” She murmured, then she reached a page where there was a drawing of a two-layered cake and it had cherries on top too.

“Where are you, you idiot?” She breathed as she looked up, not wanting her tears to roll down.

“I miss you so much.”

 

 

 

“Great. You’re early.” Kevin spoke as Juyeon alighted from his car, the male hauled off his duffel from the car before facing his friend.

“What’s up?” Juyeon asked as they walked together.

“I finished reviewing the report Chaerin sent last night. And, I think..well, you should check it out before we submit. In case professor Seon wants to ask questions.”

Juyeon nodded and took the folder from him.

“You have that game today?” Kevin asked him as Juyeon inserted the folder in his backpack.

“Yes, it’s this afternoon. You guys should~” Juyeon halted when Hongjoong suddenly appeared before them.

“Are you having fun?” He spoke, Kevin’s brows went up and he looked at the newcomer.

“At first, I thought you were just looking out for her because she’s new here and she’s cousins with your buddy Ji Changmin,” Hongjoong mused as he took a step closer towards Juyeon.

“But, aren’t you overstepping your boundaries?”

“I don’t want to be late for class. Don’t be like this.” Juyeon calmly said, wanting to sidestep him, but Hongjoong shifted again, now he was standing directly in front of him.

Kevin winced and looked around, he saw Chanhee sliding down from his car and he sent him a look.

“Class? Of course, you’d be excited to go, you sit next to her. Tell me, what have you been telling her? Did you tell her to avoid me?” Hongjoong smirked at him, Juyeon pressed his lips together.

“Hongjoong-ah, if she wants to talk to you, she will. You don’t have to force her to do that. You shouldn’t.”

Hongjoong clenched his jaw and pushed Juyeon back. The students around them halted, confused with what was happening. But, Juyeon kept his cool.

“Do not tell me what to do, Lee Juyeon.”

Juyeon only nodded back and sidestepped the male. Kevin puffed his cheeks and followed his friends, Chanhee was about to trail after them when Hongjoong grabbed Juyeon’s backpack.

“You like her, don’t you?” Hongjoong was grinning as Juyeon faced him again.

“She’s a friend, Hongjoong-ah. Stop this.” He said as he removed the male’s hands off him, the latter chortled and shook his head.

“Now, I get it. You’ve always been so evasive about her, I wanted her number and you wouldn’t give it. Heck, I even asked if you could introduce us, and yet you never did.”

Chanhee chewed on the insides of his cheek, Hongjoong tended to be like this with the girls he liked. He didn’t know it was that bad between him and Ahyoung. And, it wasn’t also a great idea to be baiting Juyeon on a game day.

Juyeon didn’t respond, he turned his back to Hongjoong once again, but the latter just wouldn’t shut up.

“Why? I heard about Ahyoung’s history, are you being like this because she’s letting you her like she did~”

Kevin didn’t even see Juyeon move, but the next thing he knew, his friend was already grabbing Hongjoong by the collar.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++