Two

Unconsciously Falling To Your Presence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TWO

February 2023

 

Another year passed and it was time for the declared annual reunion of the FIYS cast. It was Kevin Xiao's turn to treat everyone since he lost the karaoke bet last year and they were done eating and catching up with each other's activities. Since there was a fooseball table provided in the exclusive room, they agreed to have another bet to decide which one of them will pay for the next reunion and this time, the group will also pick the venue. Everyone was determined not to lose because they're aware that their friends are all devious and would probably pick a very expensive venue to empty their wallet.

The room was full of lively noise. Shouts of victory, cries of defeat and exchange of playful remarks in between. Cheng Xiao moved away from the crowd when her phone rang. It was her manager calling. She stood near the balcony as she answered the call. A few minutes later, she ended the call with a sigh. She moved the curtain away from the glass door to look at the night sky then she noticed a shadow at the other end of the balcony. She stepped outside and moved near to the shadow. She squinted her eyes and finally figured out who the person was.

"Soso ge? Why are you hiding here?" She turned to Xu Kai and raised a playful eyebrow. "Are you that afraid to lose the bet?"

He let out a short light chuckle and replied. "Nah, I don't think I will lose. I'm really good at fooseball. I'm just letting them savor their victories before I defeat them all." He raised his chin confidently.

"Tch. So arrogant." She remarked while he laughed and playfully bumped her shoulder. "It's a fact."

"When you lose later, I'll be the first one to laugh at you." She vowed.

"Too bad it's not going to happen." He quipped. She rolled her eyes and playfully bumped back his shoulder. They looked at each other then laughed. This kind of teasing was natural to the both of them. Comfortable silence enveloped them as the cold wind rushed through. She shivered a little.

"Cold?" He asked as he touched the tip of his jacket.

"A little but I can manage." She smiled as she pulled her jacket closer to her body then she turned to him. "Are you alright?"

He was about to answer her 'yes' but her eyes showed genuine concern that made him stop. He smiled a little and decided to be honest. "Just a bit bothered by something." He mumbled as he played with his phone. She watched his action for a moment and tilted her head, "Did you have a fight with Bai Lu jiejie?"

He paused when he heard the question and turned to her. "Why do you ask?"

She hummed and held the tip of her chin. "Well you look like someone who's having relationship troubles." She smirked at him. He shook his head and scoffed at her mischievous answer. He was about to say something when his phone chimed, indicating a new message. The two unconsciously looked at his phone and saw the message.

 

Bai Lu: Thank you for your honesty. I'm sorry about how I acted earlier.

 

Xu Kai sighed while Cheng Xiao tilted her head in curiosity when she looked up at the man. She wanted to ask a question but hesitated because she doesn't want to intrude. Xu Kai's mouth formed a thin line as he opened the message and scrolled up then offered his phone to Cheng Xiao. She looked at him in surprise when he did that and gave him a puzzled look. He bumped his phone to her hand lightly to make her take it. She accepted with hesitation as she started to read the messages. She glanced at him from time to time until she read something that shocked her and made her read the other messages quickly as her eyebrows creased more and more.

"You... you guys.." She mumbled after she read the whole thing.

He nodded his head, "We broke up."

"Why? And when?" She asked in disbelief.

"Last week of November." He shrugged.

"Didn't the gossip circulated on November too?" She tried to remember.

He nodded his head once again.

"So quick?" She reacted in question form.

"We dated for a month and half, I think." He stated and scratched the tip of his brow.

 

"Why did you break up?" She whispered.

He furrowed his brows together. "Too busy to see each other. It was a mutual decision actually."

"Then... why did she..?" She gestured towards his phone.

"I don't know, really." He replied in skepticism. "As far as I'm aware, something was brewing between her and Luo Yunxi a few weeks after the break up."

"Really?" She gasped in shock and he nodded in confirmation and shared. "I'm also not sure but I heard something was already brewing even before they finished shooting their drama together. You've worked with him before right?"

She nodded her head thoughtfully, "Gao Han also worked with him. He was..nice." She trailed off.

He chuckled at her hesitation, "I didn't say he wasn't. Luo Yunxi is also known for his nice social skills. I'm not trying to badmouth him or anything."

"Hmm, didn't their drama aired in 2020? Then.. then.. wait. You've worked with her before that. Did something.." She tried to understand the timeline of everything.

He sighed. "Well, we hung out once during The Legends and another one during Military Arsenal but after that.. we lost contact and only met during company events. I'm not even sure if those hangouts could be considered dates."

 

"Then how did you two reconnect and decide to be together last year?" She wondered. He turned to her and shared his reconnection with Bai Lu. It started when they saw each other in one event that they endorsed together last year. They caught up with each other's lives and maybe flirted a bit and by the end of the night they settled a date to meet again. They met, enjoyed their date, and without fully talking about it, they got together. They communicated every day but they only met twice. The sweetness towards each other was just shortlived. They were too busy to actually see each other and their chats became lesser and lesser until both of them decided to just end it.

All the time Xu Kai talked, Cheng Xiao listened to him attentively and hummed in between the sentences.

"Truthfully, you could say that we didn't really have deep feelings for each other and parted amicably. It was just mild flirtation I guess." He confessed.

"If you really didn't feel something for her then why did you go out with her?" She questioned.

He shrugged, "Maybe because I wanted to experience your definition of a 'date'." He gave her a knowing look. "You know the one you explained before."

"Ah."

He smirked at her for a moment then sighed. "I just couldn't understand why she suddenly asked for an another try."

"Maybe she regretted letting you go." She shrugged.

"That's not possible." He shook his head firmly. "I'm quite certain she doesn't feel something for me in that kind of way. Could it be possible that this is her way to make Luo Yunxi jealous?"

"Is she that kind of person?" She reacted.

He paused and shook his head. "I don't think so."

"Me too. Jiejie must just be confused right now and needed someone to be there for her. And maybe since you're the recent one she had a relationship with... She might think that you're that someone." She said softly.

"But I couldn't be that someone. I don't want to be that someone." He replied honestly. "Being a friend, I could do that but nothing more. I told her that earlier."

Her eyes widened in shock. He noted her widened eyes and ruffled his hair. "Was I too harsh?"

"En." She unconsciously nodded her head then she realized what she did so she smiled sheepishly at him and he returned a small one. She looked at the view in front of them and said, "A little harsh, yes. But she appreciated your honesty and I think.. you just helped her truly closed the chapter between the two of you. Trust me when I say that would lift a dozen of 'what if' thoughts from a woman's mind."

He looked at her side profile for a while then smiled and patted her head softly, "Thank you."

She smiled at him reassuringly and advised, "Give her space and then you'll go back to being just friends in no time."

 

He chuckled and changed the subject, "How about you? Are you alright? I heard you sigh wearily earlier."

She sighed, "Just some work related stuff."

"And here I thought it was your own share of dating issues." He joked. She snorted, "My dating issues officially ended just a month ago."

It was his turn to look surprise of a revelation. "Really?"

She nodded in confirmation. "Just like yours. It was a mutual decision."

He hummed and noted, "You almost lasted a year."

"Almost a year of on and off." She sighed.

"Oh."

 

She tilted her head and raised an eyebrow, "No more questions?" She thought he was going to ask his own set questions like what she did to him earlier.

He raised an eyebrow back at her, crossed his arms casually and faced her. "You want me to?"

"Well, you did entertain my questions earlier." She pursed her lips.

He let out a soft chuckle and asked lightly. "So, how was your first dating experience within the industry?"

She narrowed her eyes to warn his upcoming teasing remarks.

"What? I thought I'm allowed to ask questions." He grinned.

"You are." She mumbled.

"So? How did it feel?" He teased.

She huffed lightly and answered, "Will you laugh if I tell you that it was tiring?"

He was amused by her answer and bit his lip to stop his upcoming laughter. Though she could see right through him and glared accussingly. "You will. You even want to laugh right now!"

He bursted out a laugh. "I couldn't help it! I thought you were going to say memorable or magical or any words that implied sweet yet regretful that it ended."

 

She rolled her eyes and pinched his arm in retaliation. "Ow!" He winced as he rubbed the pinched part. She smirked in satisfaction.

"Brutal woman." He mumbled as he continued to rub his arm while she just stucked her tongue out at him.

"You're with him for almost a year. So, am I right to assume that your first date with him was so enjoyable that it developed your feelings for him?" He questioned curiously.

She paused and thought for a moment. "Well, the date was nice and it did give me time to get to know him more..." Cheng Xiao continued to share on how she and Wang Yibo went out for a date a few more times before she agreed for a relationship. They communicated every day and continued to be sweet but just like Xu Kai's, it was shortlived. They started to fight when their respective schedules became hectic. Especially with the sudden cancellation of dates and making sure no media could catch a wind about them . Their relationship became on and off until Cheng Xiao finally got exhausted with their setup.

She brought up the topic of officially parting at the same time Yibo was thinking about it. They were still young and their respective career remained their number one priority so they parted ways. When they saw each other at their label's building, they still found each other's presence awkward but she's confident that they would return to being normal friends as time pass by.

Xu Kai listened attentively to her summary and nodded in between whenever she voiced out her realizations.

"So that's it." Cheng Xiao finished her story. "I guess Yibo and I weren't compatible after all." She tried to make her voice neutral the whole time she talked but Xu Kai could see the guilt and pain in her eyes. From everything he heard, he could say that her feelings for Yibo weren't actually that deep but it does exist. He couldn't blame her for being hurt by the break up no matter how amicable it was and he's quite sure she invested some feelings in it too. It was her first relationship after all.

He patted her head in comfort and whispered softly, "I'm sorry that this happened to you."

She turned to him and whispered back. "I'm sorry for yours too."

They offered each other rueful smiles as they both looked up at the night sky. After a couple of minutes, they talked about lighter topics. Vacation plans, activities, and work. "There's a minor dispute between the two companies but they're settling it now. There's a big possibility that I'll be flying to South Korea at the later part of the year or early next year." She explained.

"By yourself?" He wondered.

She shook her head, "Xuan Yi and Meiqi will be with me."

"You already have a lot of schedules for next year?" He checked.

"Yep. Though majority of it are tentative schedules." She answered. "Guess I'll be everywhere in Chinese entertainment to stabilize my name more before I go." She said casually and stretched her arms in front of the railings.

"Sounds like you have a busy year ahead." He smirked.

"You too. With the drama contracts you've signed, seems like Chinese costumes will be your best friend for the next two years." She countered and they laughed together.

 

Shao Yang suddenly popped out from inside the room. "Hey! What are you two doing here?" He turned his neck back inside. "They're here! They didn't leave!"

Yi Jun also entered the balcony. "Both of you are the only ones left that haven't played the fooseball. We need another loser to finally settle the bet for next year."

"Really? I thought I'm battling Rachel?" Cheng Xiao reacted.

Shao Yang shook his head, "She battled Yi Ran and won."

"Yi Ran lose?" Xu Kai doubled take.

"Quite a game actually." Yi Jun chuckled, "Who would thought that Rachel could beat him!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Cheng Xiao placed both of her hands on her waist. "Is there a prejudice here that I'm unaware of hmm?"

Shao Yang shook his head furiously, "No. No. It's nothing like that. Yi Ran is really excellent with fooseball. No one could beat him when we were filming FIYS before. We just didn't expect him to lose now."

Cheng Xiao huffed and moved inside the room. "I'm going to show you guys that ladies are also good at playing fooseball."

"Don't flatter yourself. I'm going to win this round." Xu Kai quipped as he followed her inside. They started to banter who will win and could play better than the other as they placed themselves in front of the fooseball table. The rest were on the sidelines and anticipated the game between the bickering two. Sun Kai claimed himself as the referee for the game.

"Give it your best shot." Cheng Xiao challenged and the rest whistled and clapped at her confidence.

Xu Kai smirked as he held onto the table, "Prepare to lose."

Then they started to play while the others watched and could be described as an active audience because of their cheers and reactions. Yi Jun and Shao Yang stood quietly for moment and looked at each other. Both wore an expression of wonder and suspicion.

The round ended with Cheng Xiao's unexpected victory. The ladies jumped in delight as they kept on cheering 'Girl Power!'. The other victors laughed while the rest started mumbling about how they don't want to lose. One by one the loser list got lesser and lesser until two remained, Xu Kai and Ling Chao. Cheng Xiao was having a field day of laughing at Xu Kai since he confidently proclaimed earlier that he was good at fooseball. Ling Chao saw the determined look on Xu Kai face and he started to beg the older one to let him win because he doesn't have money to treat everyone next year.

Xu Kai would've give in if only he didn't see Cheng Xiao's provoking look and hear her playful remarks about his lousy playing. He was determined to win the round. He was close to winning when everyone suddenly pitied Ling Chao and started to help him by shouting advices on how to play better. On the winning point, Ling Chao won with the help of Cheng Xiao. Everyone shouted in delight.

"Xiao Xiao cheated!" Xu Kai complained. "She held the other end of the pole so that it wouldn't move earlier!"

"That's not true!" She protested as she took a step back from the table. "Ling Chao won fair and square." She gave him a mischievous look.

"Ge!!" Xu Kai turned to Mi Re who was the referee of the round. The older one laughed and patted his back. "It's alright Soso. Have mercy on Ling Chao. If he lose the bet, I think everyone will close his bank account. Poor kid."

Ling Chao nodded furiously and gave Xu Kai a puppy look. "Ge.."

Xu Kai sighed defeatedly, "Alright. I lost."

Everyone cheered happily.

 

Xu Kai moved towards Cheng Xiao and poked her arm lightly, "Cheater."

Cheng Xiao laughed and faked a wince, "Mi Re ge! Soso ge is bullying me!"

"She's lying!"

"No I'm not!"

"Yes you are!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

Mi Re shook his head in amusement at the bickering duo and turned to the boisterous group. "Being the oldest is hard." He stated defeatedly.

 

 

-WEIBO POST-

 

[Kevin Xiao (Old Cat)]

 

>> group photo with the FIYS cast<<

 

Caption: I've paid my debt. Goodbye 💸💸 😭

#FallingIntoYourSmileReunion

 

----

 

[Wang Yi Jun (Hierophant)]

 

>> clip of the fooseball game between Ling Chao and Xu Kai (plus the cheating hand of Cheng Xiao)<<

 

Caption: the game changer🤣 @XuKai @ChengXiao @LingChao

#FallingIntoYourSmileReunion

 

-END OF WEIBO POST-

Comments:

 

[Omg! A reunion again!!!]

[This is your second reunion!! Will there be a third? Looking forward~]

[Can you post more pictures? I miss you guys together!]

[THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You don't know how happy you've made the FIYS fans!]

[Kevin ge, is it your treat this time? kekeke~]

[I'm delighted that everyone's present!]

[Rachel Wang and Yi Ran are so cute! Ai Jia x Jinyang!]

[I'm still waiting for their drama together as the main leads this time!]

[I don't know why but I'm crying! T.T]

[Friendship Goals!]

[Can we have another drama with the same cast? Please!]

[Enjoy!!]

------

[Cheng Xiao so cute!!!]

[Cheng Xiao's hand HAHAHAHA]

 

[lingchao: @chengxiao jiejie! Thank you so much!!🥲]

 

[You could hear their excited voices!]

[Even just by hearing the noise, you could imagine the chaos of the room!kekeke~]

[Ling Chao's comment eek!!]

 

[chengxiao: Ack! Yi Jun! Why did you post this?!! Someone's going to kill me!]

[yijun: kekekeke~ @xukai n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter