- 2 -

Maybe This Time

Kwon Jiyong needed his caffeine fix, ASAP.

 

His jet lag has been nothing but a pain in the arse. He got back just two days ago but he felt like he was already going to lose his mind with the little sleep he was getting. Add to the fact that he badly wanted to find someone but didn't have any idea where to start looking.

 

Jiyong grimaced when he felt the first signs of an oncoming headache. So when his eyes caught a glimpse of a café nearby, he dashed towards the smell of the freshly brewed coffee.

 

I need coffee first.

 

He frowned seeing how the line was backed up by about four to five people. Jiyong took half a step towards his right, trying to peek at the cashier (and maybe trying to send a telepathic message towards the one who is manning the register to kindly hurry up because he needed his coffee or else he’ll endure a migraine for the whole day). But from the looks of the lady who was frantically rummaging through her bag in front of the cashier, he might need to be standing in the line, waiting for his turn, for about ten to fifteen minutes, max.

 

He glanced towards the direction of the door, contemplating if he should just look for another café nearby; one that is not packed with customers. But seeing that it was already five in the afternoon, add that to the fact that he just got back after a long time and isn’t really familiar with the place, he thought that it was best to just wait in line and pray that his headache doesn’t progress.

 

Jiyong sighed in relief when the line started moving. One down.

 

To keep himself entertained, he roamed his eyes around the dainty café. He caught sight of a little girl admiring the display of bears near the entrance door. He also noticed the welcome sign and realized that he wasn’t even paying attention to the name of the place because of his desperation to get his coffee fix.

 

Café Forelsket

 

That has his interest piqued. What a peculiar name.

 

Fishing out his phone from his back pocket, he searched what the word meant.

 

The feeling of euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love.

 

First falling in love.

 

First love.

 

It was as if his mind was on autopilot. The moment he read, and comprehended, those two words; first love, he was suddenly reminded of a certain someone. Someone he was really looking forward to seeing again after so long.

 

With his thoughts being clouded with her, he failed to notice that he was already facing the lady at the register. He mumbled a quick apology and scanned the menu plastered on the wall.

 

He has always been an espresso shot kind of guy. He liked his coffee straightforwardly. He needs to feel that strong kick the moment caffeine starts circulating in his system. So he wasn’t sure as to why he blurted out;

 

“Caramel macchiato.”

 

Maybe because he was thinking about a certain someone. A certain someone who has a fondness over the said beverage.

 

Jiyong glanced back to where the menu was, intending to change his order, because quite frankly, he needed something stronger. He was about to open his mouth to retract his order when the barista from the pick-up counter announced;

 

“One caramel macchiato and one strawberry shortcake for Sandara.”

 

Jiyong couldn’t concentrate the moment he heard that name. He was seeing the words on the menu but he couldn't understand them. It was as if it was written in hieroglyphics. He turned his head to the side, to where the pick up counter was located, and was slightly disappointed when he didn’t see her.

 

Maybe it was just someone who has the same name. He tried to reason, but being the curious man that he is, he followed where the other barista was looking. And there he saw her.

 

Sandara.

 

It was such a cliché thing to say, but he felt like time stopped moving the moment he laid his eyes on her.

 

Just two days after moving back, he saw her. The one he was so looking forward to being re-acquainted with.

 

He wasn’t such a believer of fate or destiny, but maybe this was something.

 

What should I do? Should I just go over there and say “Hi”? Would she recognize me? Is she….married?

 

He felt his heart plummet at the last thought, but shook the negative feelings away. He should probably just go up to her and greet her. For old time’s sake.

 

“Would that be all?” the lady at the register repeated, her voice laced with irritation, and that brought him out of his reverie.

 

Jiyong grabbed a couple of bills from his wallet, his eyes never leaving her.

 

He noticed that she was motioning for someone to come to her and that stopped him in his tracks.

 

Is she with someone? Her boyfriend….or husband perhaps?

 

Suddenly, he wasn’t too sure if greeting her would be a good idea.

 

Why wouldn’t it be a good idea? He questioned himself. You were friends for the longest time, for goodness’ sake! It’s never a not good idea to greet a friend whom you haven’t seen for a long while.

 

Jiyong scoffed to himself. Friends who turned into lovers and then strangers.

 

He decided that maybe it really isn’t such a good idea to talk to her now. Some other time. He said to himself.

 

So he wasn’t sure as to why his feet suddenly started making their way towards her. And he wasn’t also sure as hell as to why he called out her name when he was standing just a few feet away from her.

 

And he was certainly not prepared for the rush of emotions that washed over him when his eyes met hers. And then suddenly, he was transported back to when they were still teenagers. He was suddenly reminded of how he felt when he realized that he had been in love with his childhood friend all those times.

 

“Is it really you?” He was trying to act nonchalant, like he doesn’t have a million things in his mind that he wanted to tell her.

 

“Jiyong?” He had always loved hearing his name from her lips.

 

“How have you been?” Jiyong felt like his heart was beating its way out of his chest.

 

“I’m doing fine. You?”

 

He hoped it wasn’t too obvious that he was nervous like a teenager facing his crush for the first time.

 

“Fine as well.” Oh God, please don’t let her notice that small crack in my voice.

 

“Are you back for good?”

 

“Yes. I’m back for good,” Jiyong replied a little too seriously than what he had intended. He wasn’t sure at first if going back would be a permanent thing for him. But he made up his mind the moment he saw Sandara again.

 

He noticed how Dara pursed her lips, a habit she does when she is trying to keep the words in . And he couldn’t help the smile that crossed his lips, a myriad of memories from way before playing at the back of his mind.

 

Still the same Dara.

 

“Looks like you didn’t change one bit,” Now, it was his turn to maybe keep the words from his mouth, because if he doesn’t control what leaves his mouth, he might blurt out things that he really wanted to tell her. “How long has it been?”

 

Pft. It wasn’t as if you weren’t counting.

 

“Six years.”

 

Six long years.

 

“Six ye—”

 

“Mommy!”

 

Jiyong followed Dara’s gaze, and saw her looking at the little girl running towards them. In her right hand was a stuffed bear wearing a green apron. He noticed how Dara’s gaze turned softer, a full blown admiration was displayed on her features.

 

“Mommy, can we buy this bear please?” He watched the interaction between the two; how the little girl wiggled the bear in her hands towards Dara. How a slow smile formed on Dara’s lips as she wiped the little girl’s hands.

 

And he was also aware how his heart clenched in disappointment.

 

Well, what do you think? That she’ll wait for you?

 

“Your daughter?” It was such a stupid question, Jiyong knows that. The scene before him was already an answer, but somehow, he needed the words of confirmation coming from her lips.

 

“Ours.”

 

His heart dropped a few centimeters more. He was expecting a lot of things for an answer, but he sure as hell wasn’t expecting what he just heard from Sandara.

 

We have a daughter.