Chapter 02 - The Auction

Modern Day Cultivator

I would see Eunbi and Sakura on campus for the next few days and every time Sakura would see me, I could see her face turn red from embarrassment while greeting me. I guess Sakura was able to do this because I had lied about not seeing anything and if she had known, there is the chance that she would avoid me entirely. Eunbi would always ask me questions about cultivating since I was several realms higher than her even though I was a year older than her and the two of us started cultivating at around the same age. Eunbi seemed to want to be able to make breakthroughs as quickly as she could so I just answered her questions and taught her a new cultivation method to see if it would help her. I would usually spend any spare time cultivating as I would use a batch of herbs to create pills and consume them to attempt to break into the Ancestor Realm but I had yet to make a breakthrough after consuming 30 pills.

“You know you can message me instead of waiting outside of my classroom,” I said to Eunbi while seeing her standing near the door.

“Even if that is the case, it’s only natural for a student to wait for their teacher,” Eunbi said to me, “Especially when the student has a request for their teacher.”

“Request not question,” I asked Eunbi as I had not expected that, “Is it about your other friends and helping them reach the Practitioner Realm?”

“That is on a later day, it’s hard for all of us to gather due to school,” Eunbi said to me while shaking her head, “I am wondering if Teacher has time tomorrow? There is going to be a gathering between families and grandfather wishes for Teacher to attend as his bodyguard since he is unsure if there isn’t going to be anyone with ill-intent attending. I know that it is disrespectful to request Teacher to act as a bodyguard but grandfather is willing to compensate you for your time. There is going to be an auction held and I heard that several cultivation materials are going to be auctioned, grandfather plans on purchasing anything that you need from there as well.”

“I have nothing planned so I have plenty of time,” I responded to Eunbi after giving it some thought, “Also there is no need to be so tense when making a request to me, a teacher helps their student when they are troubled. Besides I know that you and your grandfather mean no disrespect when making this request to me so you don’t need to worry about offending me.”

“Thank you, Teacher,” Eunbi said to me while bowing her head, “Grandfather will send a car to take you to the location of the gathering and you can wear whatever you want to attend the gathering. I will let you know ahead of time so that you have time to get ready before the car arrives at your home.”

“Okay, I will wait for your call,” I said to Eunbi as I started to head home.

“Thank you so much, Teacher,” Eunbi responded to me while bowing towards me, “I will see you tomorrow at the gathering.”

When I returned home, I created another set of pills using a batch of herbs before consuming the pills one by one while cultivating the martial energy from the pills. But when I had finished consuming the 15 pills that I had created, I had still not been able to break into the Ancestor Realm. I don’t recall it being this difficult to make a breakthrough into the Ancestor Realm in my previous life but it could be due to the significant difference in environment between my previous life and now. I decided against creating another set of pills since it was already getting late so I decided to go to sleep and continue cultivating the following morning. I had created two sets of pills and consumed all of them while cultivating but I was still unable to make a breakthrough to the Ancestor Realm. I received a phone call from Eunbi as I was about to create another set of pills informing me that the car had been sent to my house and would arrive within 30 minutes. I took a shower and got changed into a new set of clothes as I decided on wearing the clothes that I wore to school before waiting in front of my apartment building for the arrival of the car Eunbi’s grandfather had sent.

It was not long before a car parked in front of my apartment building and the driver got out of the car while saying, “Master Kim, there was no need for you to come outside and wait since I would have called you to let you know. I apologize for making you wait outside for me, traffic was a little worse than expected so I am a little late.”

“It’s fine, I wasn’t waiting long,” I said to the driver as he opened the door for me, “You don’t need to call me ‘Master’, I am not your employer or a master of anyone so you can call me ‘Teacher Kim’ like Eunbi’s grandfather.”

“I wouldn’t dare, that would be like I am acting as the Chairman’s equal,” the driver responded to me while getting into the driver’s seat of the car, “Since you are someone respected by the Chairman and the Young Mistress, it is only right for me to call you ‘Master’ or would you prefer ‘Young Master’?”

“Call me whatever you want then,” I responded to the driver while sighing since I knew that it would be difficult to change his mind on the matter.

“I apologize once again for making you wait outside for me,” the driver apologized to me while driving the car, “I would have tried to get here earlier if I had known.”

“I already said that it is fine,” I responded to the driver, “I needed to get some fresh air since I have been stuck inside of my apartment since yesterday afternoon. So you don’t have to worry about anything other than getting us to our destination.”

“Thank you for your forgiveness, Master Kim,” the driver said to me.

It took almost an hour of driving before we arrived at our destination as the driver got out of the driver’s seat to open the door for me while saying, “The Chairman and Young Mistress have already arrived, I have already let them know of your arrival so they will come out to get you.”

“Thank you,” I responded to the driver while getting out of the car before the driver closed the door and returned to the driver’s seat.

I stood in front of the mansion while other people were arriving and heading into the mansion before I saw Eunbi and her grandfather exit from the mansion while Eunbi’s grandfather greeted me by saying, “Welcome, Teacher Kim. Thank you for accepting my request to be our bodyguard at this event.”

“It’s nothing,” I responded to Eunbi’s grandfather, “It was not like I had anything else planned for today.”

“Welcome, Teacher,” Eunbi said to me with a smile, “Thank you for taking time out of your day to be our bodyguard for the event. Also Teacher, please forgive the people who are in attendance if they say anything that might insult you as they are ignorant.”

“As long as noone is malicious, I will forgive them,” I responded to Eunbi.

“Then let’s head inside,” Eunbi responded to me with a smile.

The two guards at the entrance to the mansion stopped Eunbi’s grandfather, Eunbi, and me before letting the three of us into the mansion after confirming the identity of Eunbi’s grandfather and Eunbi. I was allowed to enter the mansion since I was their guest that they had invited  and as the three of us entered the mansion, we were greeted by bright lights and the sight of many people. Eunbi’s grandfather and Eunbi walked around to the various groups of people to greet them and have a conversation with them for some time. I followed behind the two of them while keeping a good awareness of our surroundings for anyone that might have ill intent towards Eunbi and her grandfather. I could also tell that the two of them were carrying the protection talismans that I had given them so they were protected from any sneak attacks and any attacks if I got separated from the two of them. There were several people who questioned my identity since I was following Eunbi and her grandfather to which Eunbi’s grandfather introduced me as Eunbi’s cultivation teacher. There were some that doubted if I could teach Eunbi anything as I just brushed their doubt aside knowing it is due to their ignorance while others greeted me respectfully.

“Now that we finished our greetings, I have to talk with the other family heads,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to Eunbi and me, “So why don’t the two of you talk with the other attendees that are around your age?”

“Yes, grandfather,” Eunbi said to her grandfather before looking at me, “Teacher, please come with me and I will introduce you to some of the people that I know.”

“I forgot to mention this when I handed you the protection talisman,” I said to Eunbi’s grandfather and Eunbi, “I placed another array that will let me know when the protection array is activated or if the protection talismans is destroyed so I’ll be able to find and protect you if anything happens.”

“That is comforting to know,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me before Eunbi and I walked away as he went to find the other family heads.

While Eunbi and I were walking together, a young female ran up to us and said, “Eunbi Unnie, I didn’t think you would come.”

“Of course I would come,” Eunbi responded to the young female, “Why would you think that I wouldn’t come?”

“You know because every time you come to these gathering, Jinho keeps on bothering you,” the young female responded to Eunbi before looking at me, “I didn’t expect you to bring a guy to one of these gatherings, did you bring him so that Jinho will finally stop bothering you? But why does he look familiar?”

“Let me introduce you to my Teacher, Joowon Kim,” Eunbi said to the young female while gesturing towards me, “It might be easier to explain to you that he is someone who has surpassed the Grandmaster Realm and the reason why Teacher looks familiar to you is because he is a fifth year oriental medicine student at our university.”

“I didn’t know there was anything higher than the Grandmaster Realm,” the young female said to Eunbi while looking surprised, “But if you say that there is then I believe you since you wouldn’t lie to me about things like this. So he’s our sunbae at university, that makes sense why he would seem familiar since there is the chance that I might have seen him on campus.”

“I didn’t think so either until I met Teacher,” Eunbi said to the young female before looking at me, “Let me introduce you to Jisoo Park but everyone calls her Jihyo and she is a 3rd year at our university.”

“Nice to meet you,” I said to Jihyo.

“Nice to meet you too,” Jihyo said back to me before looking at Eunbi, “Eunbi Unnie, you finally made a breakthrough to the Practitioner Realm.”

“It’s all thanks to Teacher,” Eunbi responded while looking at me, “He also helped Sakura break into the Practitioner Realm as well.”

“Wait really,” Jihyo responded while looking surprised, “Sakura made a breakthrough to the 8-star Disciple around the same time as me and she already reached the Practitioner Realm while I still haven’t reached 9-star? Even though I heard that getting a Teacher or Master of a higher realm would make cultivating faster, I never expected it would be that quick.”

“It’s not always the case,” Eunbi responded to Jihyo before looking at me, “My Teacher’s method is very different but it is really efficient compared to other methods.”

“I’m really curious about your Teacher’s method,” Jihyo responded to Eunbi before the two females turned to look at me.

“I already promised to help your friends reach the Practitioner Realm,” I responded to Eunbi, “But try to keep the number of people reasonable since I don’t want to help everyone break into the Practitioner Realm.”

“Thank you, Teacher,” Eunbi said to me respectfully before looking at Jihyo, “I’ll let you know when we are gathering so you can bring the people in your group as well to make a breakthrough to the Practitioner Realm.”

“Okay, please be sure to let me know,” Jihyo said to Eunbi while looking excited.

“Have you seen who else is attending this gathering,” Eunbi asked Jihyo.

“I looked around earlier,” Jihyo responded to Eunbi, “It's just the same people as always and Jinho has been bothering everyone to see if you arrived or were coming. He really needs to learn to give up since you’re not interested in him at all and are only being a nuisance to you and everyone else. But I guess there is someone new at the gathering since Jinho brought along a Master Realm cultivator that his family recently hired. I heard that his master is someone in the Grandmaster Realm. Jinho seemed to be learning under him and it seems like he has reached 3-star Practitioner.”

“I really don’t know what I have to do to make Jinho stop bothering me,” Eunbi said to Jihyo while sighing heavily, “I’m sure that he’s bragged about that to everyone until they are sick of hearing it.”

While I was listening to Eunbi and Jihyo’s conversation, I saw a young male walk up to the two girls and said, “Eunbi-ah, I finally found you after searching for so long.”

I assumed that this person was Jinho that Eunbi and Jihyo were talking about as Eunbi said to him, “Why were you looking for me?”

“Cause I wanted to see you,” Jinho responded to Eunbi, “I also wanted to show you that I reached 3-star Practitioner, thanks to a Master that my family recently hired. If you want, I can request him to give you some help to break into the Practitioner Realm.”

“Are you blind or something,” Jihyo responded to Jinho, “Can’t you see that Eunbi Unnie has already reached the Practitioner Realm?”

“Wait, how is that possible,” Jinho responded while looking shocked, “It took you almost a year to go from 8-star to 9-star Disciple yet you made a breakthrough to the Practitioner Realm in less than a month?”

“It’s all thanks to my Teacher,” Eunbi responded while gesturing towards me.

Jinho looked at me suspiciously before looking at Eunbi and said, “Are you sure that you’ve properly reached the Practitioner Realm? I’ve heard that there are some methods where you reach the Practitioner Realm but your strength is still in the Disciple Realm.”

When Jinho said those words, I could help laugh due to the sheer irony while Eunbi and Jihyo looked at me in a confusing manner before I said to them, “I’ll tell you later.”

“Jinho, don’t you dare insult my Teacher,” Eunbi yelled at Jinho, “If you have nothing else to say, go away since you’re being a bother.”

“Fine, I’ll go for now,” Jinho responded to Eunbi, “But let’s see how long you can keep up with that attitude.”

Jinho walked away before Eunbi said to me, “Please don’t let Jinho’s words bother you, he doesn’t know what he is talking about and the only thing he knows how to do is brag or show off his family’s wealth.”

“His words don’t bother me,” I said to Eunbi while chuckling, “Especially when there is such irony from what he said.”

“What do you mean, Teacher,” Eunbi asked me while looking confused as Jihyo also looked confused.

“You’re the one whose properly in the Practitioner Realm while he’s not,” I responded to Eunbi, “I’m going to guess that the Master that his family hired is also in a similar situation where he might be in the Master Realm but not as strong as he seems.”

“How can you tell,” Jihyo asked me while Eunbi nodded her head in agreement.

“Once you reach the Spirit Realm, the martial energy in your body begins to enhance your senses,” I responded to Jihyo and Eunbi, “So unlike everyone else here, I can see the martial energy flowing through your bodies and determine your cultivation level based on that. So I saw the martial energy flowing through Jinho’s meridians and it is blatant that Jinho is a 9-star Disciple but he has so much martial energy residing in his body that is covering his true cultivation.”

“How is that possible,” Eunbi asked me.

“Do you remember the first method I told you about when I offered to help you make a breakthrough to the Practitioner Realm,” I asked Eunbi while she nodded her head as Jihyo looked confused, “Well there is two way of doing that method, the first way is to gather a large amount of martial energy from the environment and have it enter into your body all at once but it is painful due to the amount of martial energy entering  into your body. The second way is to have someone who is one realm higher than you and have them pour their martial energy into your body while you cultivate it until you make a breakthrough. So that’s why when I offered it as an option, it would have to be the first way since the second way would not be possible but if the person cultivating doesn’t absorb all of the martial energy into their meridian, it ends up staying in the body.”

“So that’s how Jinho cultivated,” Eunbi asked me.

“If Jinho used cultivating materials, he could end up with that result as well,” I responded to Eunbi, “Since if you don’t absorb all of the martial energy before using another cultivating material, the martial energy can build up in the body. I find that this is the more common method where people end up having built up martial energy sitting in their body that they have not absorbed into their meridian.”

“So how would you get rid of the martial energy that has just built up and is sitting in your body,” Jihyo asked me.

“There are three ways that can get rid of that built up martial energy,” I responded to Jihyo, “The first is to have that martial energy be absorbed into the meridian, the second is the martial energy will be expelled out of the body if the body takes a powerful attack, and the third is eventually all of that martial energy is going to burst out if too much martial energy is built up. But in all three cases, there will be a drop in cultivation and the true cultivation level can be sensed.”

“Does that mean that Jinho would drop back down to 9-star Disciple,” Jihyo asked me while looking a little eager.

“If Jinho were to absorb the martial energy into his meridian, there is the chance he might make a breakthrough,” I responded to Jihyo after giving it some thought, “But it’s more likely that he remains in a 9-star Disciple since a large amount of that martial energy will be expelled out of his body while he tries absorbing it into his meridians.”

“How are you so sure about that,” Jihyo asked me while looking curious.

“Even though it’s only been five years since I started cultivating,” I said to Jihyo while looking at the two girls, “I reached the Spirit Realm in 16 months so I’ve seen many cultivators, there were many that ended up like Jinho. There were times when I helped them absorb the martial energy into their meridian if I have a good impression of them and I have beaten up or left the ones that left bad impressions on me alone so I’ve seen how they ended up.”

“It only took you 16 months to surpass the Grandmaster Realm,” Eunbi said to me while looking at me surprised, “How is that possible? I know that Teacher was strong but that kind of progress is unheard of before.”

“I used a cultivation method that suited me,” I said to Eunbi, “I also used various arrays to make cultivation much easier.”

“Teacher, why have you not taught me a cultivation method that suits me,” Eunbi asked me, “Is it due to my lack of potential?”

“No, it’s because you never asked,” I responded to Eunbi, “There’s a reason why I have you call me ‘Teacher’ instead of ‘Master’ since a teacher guides their students while a master takes responsibility for their disciple. I will only take a disciple who I see has the potential to make it into the Half-Saint, Saint, or Deity Realm since my aim is to reach the Deity Realm. Your lack of potential disqualifies you from being my disciple since even if I give you a cultivation method that is perfect for you, there is the chance that you might only reach the peak of the Emperor Realm within your lifetime.”

“I see, Teacher,” Eunbi said to me while nodding her head, “So can I ask why Teacher wants to reach the Deity Realm?”

“Once a cultivator reaches the Deity Realm, they are able to transcend to the Heavenly Domain,” I responded to Eunbi before giving it some thought on how to explain it, “It is a realm that can be considered a paradise only reachable for those in the Deity Realm, I want to be able to see it with my own eyes. I’ve heard that if you are able to enter into the Heavenly Domain, there are cultivation materials that could make even those with no talent in cultivating into a Deity Realm cultivator. I’ve also heard that there are realms higher than the Deity Realm that can only be achievable while in the Heavenly Domain so I want to see if that is true as well.”

“How does Teacher know about this,” Eunbi asked me curiously, “Does Teacher have a Master that is training him as their disciple because it doesn’t seem like it?”

“I inherited the will of my ancestor,” I said to Eunbi as this was partially true since I’ve been reincarnated into the body of one of my descendants, “My ancestor was someone who reached the Deity Realm but only realized the existence of the Heavenly Domain as he was dying. So I had gained everything that he had learned in his lifetime and I want to achieve what he was unable to do.”

“I see, so that is how Teacher knows so much,” Eunbi said to me, “And why Teacher sounds like there is no question that you would reach the Deity Realm.”

“If you think it is unfair, it really is,” I said to Eunbi while looking at her and then at Jihyo, “Since life has always been unfair but in the cultivating world, it is even more unfair as there are times when it becomes a kill or be killed. There are cultivation methods that involve killing other cultivators and absorbing their martial energy to make breakthroughs. But those types of cultivators are exposed quickly and have to be killed immediately since there is no reason to let someone live who might try to kill you in the future. Besides when Grandmaster Realm cultivators are known as some of the most powerful in the world, don’t you think that my promise to bring you up to at least the Spirit Realm is fair enough?”

“Teacher’s explanation is correct,” Eunbi responded to me while Jihyo nodded her head in agreement.

“I’ll provide you with a cultivation method that suits you based on my observation,” I said to Eunbi before placing two fingers on her forehead, “I’m going to impart it directly to your brain so that it is imprinted and it is slowly revealed to you when you are ready.”

Eunbi’s eyes opened wide as the cultivation method was imprinted into her mind and then said to me, “I didn’t know such methods existed, I can feel how much different it is compared to my current cultivation method just from the first few lines.”

“This is the first of ten parts,” I said to Eunbi while removing my finger from Eunbi’s forehead, “Once you’ve mastered it, you will be at the peak of the Practitioner Realm and I will impart the second part to you.”

“Thank you, Teacher,” Eunbi said to me while I could see a hint of jealousy from Jihyo.

“It won’t be long before the start of the auction,” Jihyo said to Eunbi and me before looking at me, “Do you want to walk around a little bit and meet the other attendees?”

“I’ll do whatever Eunbi wants,” I said to Jihyo before looking at Eunbi, “I am here as Eunbi’s Teacher so there is no need for me to meet anyone.”

“There is noone else I want to see,” Eunbi said to me before looking at Jihyo, “So why don’t we just head into the auction hall and wait until it begins?”

“If that is what you want to do, let’s do that,” Jihyo responded to Eunbi before looking at me, “I will show you to your seats.”

Jihyo had led Eunbi and I to a large room with rows of empty seats as there were already a few people sitting down and waiting for the start of the auction. Eunbi and I kept on following behind Jihyo as we were led to the second floor and were led into a private room that overlooked the large room. There were three seats inside of the room as Eunbi took a seat before I took a seat next to her while Jihyo sat down on the remaining seat while saying that she would leave once Eunbi’s grandfather arrived. It seemed like these private rooms were reserved for the wealthiest families that attended these gatherings. Jihyo’s family were the organizers of the auction so once the auction begins, Jihyo will be the one on stage presenting the items while her father will be the auctioneer. Eunbi and Jihyo were talking with each other while I was looking down from the balcony at the other attendees to see how strong of a cultivator they were and to see if any of them had any potential that would qualify them to be my disciple. When I saw that the attendees had little potential, I just shrugged my shoulders before sitting down at my seat while Eunbi’s grandfather entered into the private room as Jihyo left to get ready for the start of the auction.

“Teacher Kim, let me know if there are any items that interest you during the auction and I will get them for you,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me while sitting down.

“I’ll let you know,” I responded to Eunbi’s grandfather while looking at him.

“So how did talking with the other family heads go,” Eunbi asked her grandfather.

Eunbi’s grandfather just sighed heavily before saying, “There wasn’t much talking that went on since the current head of J Group spent most of the time bragging about recruiting a peak Master Realm cultivator to teach his son. He was going on and on about how his son had already broken through the Practitioner Realm. It seems like he is already trying to throw his weight around since he knows that it won’t be long before his son is able to reach Master Realm with the backing of a peak Master Realm cultivator and Grandmaster Realm cultivator.”

“Jinho,” I asked Eunbi who nodded her head.

“So Teacher Kim already met the son of the current head of J Group,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me, “What do you think about him?”

“He’s a little obnoxious,” I said to Eunbi’s grandfather, “But other than that, you shouldn’t be too worried about him reaching the Master Realm since that isn’t going to be happening with how he has been cultivating.”

“How are you so sure,” Eunbi’s grandfather asked me while looking confused.

“Teacher explained to Jihyo and me about the phenomenon about how people’s cultivation suddenly drastically drops,” Eunbi said to her grandfather before I had a chance to answer, “He explains the root cause of how it happens and it makes really makes sense on why such a phenomenon happens after hearing his explanation. There is the chance that it is going to happen to Jinho where his cultivation will suddenly drop to 9-stage disciple.”

“Oh really, I would like to hear,” Eunbi’s grandfather said before Eunbi repeated what I had told her which seemed to enlighten her grandfather, “So that is the root cause of why people’s cultivation suddenly drops drastically and you’re saying that this phenomenon is going to happen to Jinho.”

“Yes, there is no doubt about it,” I responded to Eunbi’s grandfather while looking down at the people who were taking their seats, “So you don’t have to worry about a low level Master Realm cultivator and a possible bottlenecked 1-star Grandmaster cultivator. If everything Jinho has accomplished up to this point is thanks to the teaching of that Grandmaster, the Master Realm cultivator that they hired will also suffer a drastic drop in cultivation soon as well.”

“How are you so certain about the cultivation of the Master Realm and Grandmaster Realm cultivators,” Eunbi’s grandfather asked me, “Do you already know who they are?”

“It doesn’t matter to me if I am wrong about their cultivation since they are still ants to me,” I responded to Eunbi’s grandfather, “But just looking at how Jinho was taught, it is obvious that his master is a low level Master Realm cultivator who is suffering the same issue as him and a Grandmaster which such teaching is lucky to have made a breakthrough to 1-star Grandmaster but will likely be bottlenecked for the rest of their life unless they realize the error of their teaching.”

“I guess from your point of view, Grandmaster Realm cultivators would be nothing compared to you,” Eunbi’s grandfather said while chuckling, “But please know that to normal people like us, Grandmaster Realm cultivators are powerful beings that are difficult to associate with due to everyone wanting to make connections with them.”

“Does that go for you as well,” I asked Eunbi’s grandfather and Eunbi.

“That was the case until Teacher Kim decided to accept my granddaughter as your student,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me, “You have already done plenty for my family so trying to get connections with another person would be disrespectful towards you.”

“I see,” I said to Eunbi’s grandfather while smiling at him, “But you are right that I would find it extremely disrespectful if you kept on trying to make connections with ants when I am already helping you. But I would think that you have a reason for it and not really care after a while as long as whoever you find doesn’t irritate me by not knowing their place since I would find that even more disrespectful.”

“Thank you for gathering today to participate in our auction,” a male voice said as it echo throughout the room as I looked onto the stage to see a male in his late 40s and Jihyo standing behind him, “I, Park Jihun, will be the auctioneer while my daughter, Jisoo, will be presenting the items being held for auction. We have plenty of rare and exotic items up for auction so I hope that there is something that would appeal to everyone that is in attendance today.”

There were many people in attendance that began cheering as Jihyo had walked off behind the stage and returned carrying a chest while Jihun said, “The first item being auctioned off is a bottle of 10 pills created by the Masters of the Medicine Sect. These pills are said to be able to help Practitioner Realm cultivators reach the Master Realm and help Master Realm cultivators to make breakthroughs to the next stage. Since the Medicine Sect has brought a total of 10 bottles to be auctioned off so there is no reason to be discouraged since there are numerous chances to purchase a bottle. We will be starting the bidding at ₩10 million.”

I could see that Eunbi’s grandfather was interested in the pills while I said, “If you’re planning on getting them for Eunbi, don’t.”

“But why,” Eunbi’s grandfather asked me while looking at me confused, “Pills from the Medicine Sect are rare to come by since the sect has a huge backlog of orders so it might be years before you will be able to get your hands on the pills. This is a rare opportunity since if Eunbi were to take the pills, it would be beneficial for her cultivation and she would be able to reach the Master Realm in no time.”

“That might be the case but than what, Eunbi’s cultivation would be Master Realm” I asked Eunbi’s grandfather while looking at him, “This is like giving a student the answer key to a test as they started learning the material, they are guaranteed to get a 100% but they won’t understand anything. If you wanted Eunbi to have a high cultivation without the proper knowledge, you should have just said so since that would be an easy task that I can accomplish within a day.”

“Of course, that is not what I want,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me.

“Then why do you think that Eunbi needs those pills,” I asked Eunbi’s grandfather, “Is it because you don’t believe I would bring her up to the Master Realm? Or do you not trust that Eunbi would be able to reach the Master Realm?”

“Of course not, I trust Teacher Kim and my granddaughter,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me while denying the notion of not trusting either of us with his entire body, “Please forgive this old man’s needless worries and concern, I fully trust that Teacher Kim will properly educate my granddaughter.”

“I’ve already provided Eunbi with a new cultivation method that suits her,” I said to Eunbi’s grandfather, “Eunbi will be able to reach the Spirit Realm without the need of cultivation material as long as she keeps on practicing it diligently and when Eunbi does start needing pills or elixirs, I will provide them for her.”

“I see, I didn’t know that,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me, “But I am grateful that you are leading Eunbi in the right direction.”

The bidding for the first bottle of pills had ended as Eunbi’s grandfather and I were finishing our conversation, the winner was one of the families seated in the private rooms on the second floor who bid ₩180 million. Jihyo had taken one of the bottles from the chest and took it backstage where I was assuming she was noting the winner and the winning bid. When Jihyo returned to the stage, the bidding for the second bottle of pills had begun as the starting bid was ₩10 million. The second bottle was also sold for ₩180 million to the same people as the first bottle while I could see that some people were giving them an irritated look wondering if they were going to take all ten bottles. It didn’t seem like the case as after winning the third bottle with the same bid as the first two bottles, they had stopped bidding for the bottles of pills so other people were able to win bottles. The remaining bottles had been won by seven different people who had bid from ₩160 million to ₩175 million. When I looked at Eunbi’s grandfather, he seemed to have an amused look on his face as I assumed it was because I had ensured him that Eunbi would be able to reach the Spirit Realm which none of the other attendants would ever reach in their lifetime.

After the bottles of pills were completely auctioned off, the people that were able to win a bottle were celebrating while the others were lamenting losing this opportunity. I looked at the various items being auctioned off as Jihyo kept on bringing up containers that held the items as I saw various cultivation materials from herbs to martial energy stones but none of them interested me since I would be able to gather them myself if I wanted them. The bids for these items went from ₩10 million to ₩25 million while none of the people who had won the bottle of pills had bid for these items. I guess that it was their way of showing that they were satisfied with winning the bottle of pills and wouldn’t be greedy for the cultivation materials. There were jewelry, paintings,and artifacts that were being auctioned off as the bids for each item varied from ₩1 million to ₩200 million but none of these items interested me as well while I could see that Eunbi and Eunbi’s grandfather were looking nervously at me. When the final item of the night was brought out, it instantly grabbed my attention as I could feel the martial energy within my body reacting to just the container holding the item.

“This item will be the final item of the auction,” Jihun said to the audience while Jihyo opened the container to reveal a black pot, “This treasure was found in the depths of a ruin and noone in our family has been able to identify this item. We were unable to remove the lid of this pot no matter how hard we tried but this pot emits a strong martial energy that is able to strengthen your cultivation. This proves that this item is not ordinary so I am hoping that someone might be able to find out the purpose of this item and show us its uses. The starting price for this item will be ₩20 million.”

Even though the appearance of the pot was different than I can remember, I could still recognize my medical pot that was lost during my previous life as I looked to Eunbi’s grandfather and said, “No matter the cost, get that item for me.”

“Of course, Teacher Kim,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me while a little surprised and then bid, “₩30 million.”

“Teacher, is there a reason why you want that item,” Eunbi asked me while looking curious, “Are you interested in figuring out the purpose of the item?”

“There’s no need to figure it out,” I responded to Eunbi, “I already know the purpose of that item since it belonged to my ancestor.”

“You mean your ancestor that reached the Deity Realm,” Eunbi asked me, “But how are you able to tell?”

“That medical pot is imprinted by my ancestor,” I responded to Eunbi, “As one of his descendents, I could feel it calling towards me and my martial energy almost went out of control when that item was brought out.”

“I see,” Eunbi said to me while nodding her head.

The bid just kept on getting higher and higher until reaching ₩1.25 billion before someone said, “Since the elder of K Group wishes for the item so badly, I guess I will conceded and let you have it.”

“The head of J Group should not act conceited and act like he is giving up on the item for me,” Eunbi’s grandfather said while another bid of ₩1.3 billion came up, “If you don’t have the money to compete with me than you should have dropped out without saying anything since there are other people that are still bidding to win the item.””

I could see the annoyed look on the head of J Group’s face as Eunbi’s grandfather kept on bidding until finally winning with a bid of ₩1.5 billion before looking at me and said, “I have won the item for Teacher Kim but may I ask why you wanted the item?”

“It’s my ancestor’s medical pot,” I responded to Eunbi’s grandfather, “The item itself can be considered a treasure even during my ancestor’s time since it is made of rare materials from that time that would be near impossible to find in the present era. But compared to other medical pots, it uses the user’s martial energy as a material in the alchemy process to produce a maximum output of 200%. Other than the medical pot, I am also after the residual martial energy of my ancestor remaining inside since it will bring my cultivation to a higher level.”

“Does that mean that Teacher Kim knows how to open it as well,” Eunbi’s grandfather asked me in curiosity.

“I know how to open it,” I said to Eunbi’s grandfather, “But I won’t open it in front of anyone since the residual martial energy would be potent enough to either severely damage or kill anyone who comes in contact with it without proper preparation. After I’ve absorbed the residual martial energy, I can show you how it is used and there is a way to use it to help Eunbi cultivate.”

“I see if that is the case, I will wait until you are able to show us,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me while smiling, “As long as it is useful to you, I am glad that I was able to do something that can help you. Since that was the last item of the auction, we can get going since there is nothing left to be done other than picking up Teacher Kim’s ancestor’s medical pot.”

Eunbi’s grandfather got up from his seat and started to head out of the room while Eunbi and I got up from our seats to follow behind him. While the three of us were exiting from the private room, I could see that there were other people leaving their private room as well. Everyone was heading down the stairs to the first floor of the mansion while there were some people planning on what to do now the gathering and auction had been completed. Eunbi and I followed Eunbi’s grandfather down to the first floor and then into another room where there were a few people already gathered while I could see that people were headed into the backroom. Eunbi’s grandfather explained that the back room is where auctioned items are paid for and then the auctioned item can either be received or delivered on a later date. Since the auctioned items are rare and valuable, there is a chance that some people might attempt to steal them so if a person is not confident that they can’t prevent this then they can have the auctioned item delivered to their home. When it was our turn to enter the back room, I could see Jihyo and her father were in the room while being guarded by two armed guards.

“It is good to see you again, Chairman Kwon,” Jihun said to Eunbi’s grandfather while standing up and walking towards him to shake his hand, “I had not expected that you would be interested in this item and would have been more interested in the pills from the Medicine Sect for your granddaughter.”

“I was interested in those pills but my granddaughter’s teacher advised me against it since it would go against his teaching,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to Jihun while shaking his hand and gesturing towards me, “I had bid on the pot for my granddaughter’s teacher since he was interested in the item and then told me that it belonged to his ancestor. I’ve already had the money transferred to your account so please give the item to Teacher Kim.”

Jihun checked his phone before looking at Jihyo and said, “I’ve confirmed that Chairman Kwon had transferred the money so you can get the item for them.”

“Here you go,” Jihyo said to me after returning to the back room with a chest.

I opened the chest and picked up the medical pot while looking at it while Jihun asked me, “Since you claim that the item belongs to your ancestor, do you know how to open it and its uses?”

“If you want to see what’s inside right now, are you willing to die,” I asked while the guards were reaching for their waists as I moved behind them in an instant, “I would stop what you are trying to do if I were you since if I wanted to kill anyone, I would have been able to do it before you even realized what happened?”

Everyone was stunned as I was standing behind the two guards without anyone realizing what had happened while Jihun said, “I apologize for my guards’ rudeness but can you explain what you mean?”

I returned to where I was previously standing before saying, “Before I was interrupted, I was going to say that inside is the residual martial energy of my ancestor who reached a realm that you could not fathom. The residual martial energy is extremely potent that would immediately invade and destroy your meridian before destroying your body from the inside out. If I were to open it now, it would be able to kill everyone in this mansion other than me since I know how to protect my meridian from invading martial energy. I can explain a few things about this medical pot since you are curious, it’s made from a meteor that landed on the Earth several thousands of years ago and there were various arrays laid out on it while it was being crafted. There is an array that prevents anyone but the owner from opening it and since my ancestor passed away, ownership of the medical pot is passed down to his descendant. There is an array placed on it that protects it from attacks and to restore itself to its original form. Since it’s a medical pot, it is used to create pills and elixirs but unlike other medical pots, it can use the user’s martial energy as material to increase the output of the pill or elixir being created. Due to the residual martial energy, I am unable to demonstrate how it is used but I can show you its original form.”

I poured my martial energy into the medical pot to activate the restoration array before the medical pot started to glow from the activation of the array. The black layer on the medical pot that had built up over the thousands of years started to peel off while revealing a golden layer underneath. The parts of the medical pot that had broken off or worn out started to reform to its original form and before long, the medical pot returned to its original form that I remembered from my past life. I looked around at everyone in the room who were staring stunned after seeing the medical pot being returned to its original form.

“It seems like part of your claim is not false,” Jihun said to me after regaining his composure, “But may I ask which realm you might be in?”

“Emperor Realm but with this, I will reach the Ancestor Realm,” I responded to Jihun while looking at the medical pot, “It might be easier to explain that I am several realms higher than the Grandmaster Realm or to put in a better perspective, you can bring tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of cultivators in the Grandmaster Realm and I would slaughter them before they could even touch me.”

“It seems like Chairman Kwon is lucky to  have such an expert accept his granddaughter as their student,” Jihun said to me before pulling out a business card, “If there is anything that you might need, please feel free to contact me and my family will be able to find whatever it might be.”

“I’ll give it some thought,” I said to Jihun while accepting the business card and putting it into my pocket before looking at Eunbi’s grandfather and Eunbi, “I am going to have to seclude myself to absorb the residual martial energy within this medical pot. I will be uncontactable until I have finished absorbing the martial energy and incorporating it into my cultivation. It might take a few weeks to months before I come out of seclusion so during that time, try to avoid getting in trouble as the talisman I provided you will only protect yourselves and not others. Eunbi, you should diligently practice the new cultivation method that I provided to you and make a few breakthroughs by the time I come out of seclusion.”

“I understand, Teacher,” Eunbi said to me, “I will practice diligently until you return.”

“I will see you when you return, Teacher Kim,” Eunbi’s grandfather said to me, “I have a few connections at your school and will make sure that your absence while in seclusion does not affect you negatively.”

“Thank you,” I said to Eunbi’s grandfather before looking at the two of them, “I will get going first, I will see the two of you when I return.”


This ends the second chapter of Mondern Day Cultivator
I hope that you enjoyed this second update
Please comment down below on what you thought
I kinda want to know what you all think about the fic or concept
I might write a few more chapters of this fic to get a good idea of what people think
Before moving onto a different concept if this concept isn't that great
Thanks !