Two

The Untitled Collection

 

Minjeong has been pacing around her room for almost fifteen minutes now. She stops in her tracks and checked her phone again to see the time. Pressing the home button of the four cornered gadget, a burst of light suddenly hit her face that she had to squint her eyes to get a better view of her home screen. 

 

1:25 am.

 

What in the world am I doing? She asked herself as the time on her phone stares back at her. Here she is in her room walking back and forth in the early morning hours.

 

I should just go to bed. Minjeong thought to herself. One after the other her foot move towards her bed which seems extra comfortable and warm in this time of the day. Minjeong felt like it was tempting her to finally give in and lay her back on the soft mattress.

 

Once her knee hit the foot of her bed only then did she was awaken out of the trance that her bed was imposing on her.

 

I can't do this to her. Minjeong says to herself as she shake her head to refresh her thoughts. And for the umpteenth time that early morning, Minjeong found herself again pacing around her room. It was a wonder how she hasn't gotten dizzy from the tormenting act that she has been doing for a while now.

 

Just do it. A voice whispered in her ear. And just like she was really talking to someone, she answered back. "But she'd be mad as hell if I did."

 

Minjeong wasn't naive nor a fool. She knew what would happen once she listen to the voice in her head. Hell would be unleashed and for sure she wouldn't like that.

 

One foot forward, another one back. As she turned around, the view of her warm and cozy bed greeted her. With a stomp of her foot and a lazy groan, Minjeong found herself switching directions and was now making her way towards the door.

 

Once she held the cold hard material of the doorknob something sparked in Minjeong's system as it finally dawned on her what she was about to do. Like she was electrocuted, she quickly let go of her grip on the round thing in front of her. And the next thing she knew she was pacing around her room once again.

 

Go to sleep. A few hours wouldn't hurt. Another voice once again whispered in her ear. But this time it was more firm, more mischievous and daring all the same. Just like what she did before, she answered back. "But I can't risk her health." Minjeong says as she talked with the air. With her feet finally resting she then continued, "What if something happens to her?" Minjeong waited for a response but she didn't get any.

 

 

With her mind still in a haze a sudden thought crosses her mind. Aeri.

 

Minjeong hurriedly picks up her phone that was currently laying on her bed and quickly went through her contacts. Not even a minute of scrolling, Aeri's contact information flashes on her screen. Touching the green button on her phone, the call goes through in Minjeong's delight.

 

Her phone isn't dead. She told herself as she place her phone on her ear to wait for Aeri to answer the call. Minjeong waited but the call eventually drops. 

 

Another one. Minjeong whispered to herself as she tried calling her friend again. But just like before she didn't answer.

 

Okay last call. If she doesn't answer then I'm going to sleep. She said convincing herself with her own words. For the last time, she pressed the call button on Aeri's contact. The call went through again but just like the first two it eventually drops. 

 

She must be sleeping already. Minjeong uttered to herself as her shoulders slumped downwards when the end tone of her phone echoed around her room. "Of course you idiot! It's almost two in the morning. What do you think she'll be doing? Pacing around her room waiting for your call?" The voice from earlier suddenly answered Minjeong's words.

 

"I know, I know. I'll be sleeping now." Minjeong murmured to herself as she made her way to her bed. 

 

Once in the comfort of the soft material, Minjeong then pulled over her sheets to cover up her body. She couldn't help but let out a contented sigh as she gave into the warmth of the materials adorning her small frame.

 

Click. The sound that her lamp made as she turned it off. And with that last sound inviting the silence to fill her room, Minjeong slowly closes her eyes to fly off to dreamland. But not even five minutes of laying in her bed, Minjeong was already up and found herself shuffling her feet to walk over the door.

 

"Damn it." Minjeong uttered as she opened her door finally giving in her thoughts.

 

 

 

Silence greeted her once she step foot outside her room and into the living room. The usually noisy area is filled with darkness, the only light source was coming from the screen of the open television.

 

Minjeong roamed her eyes around the space as she looks for the woman she has been thinking about ever since. Where else would she be? Minjeong asked herself when she found no trace of the woman she was looking for.

 

Walking towards the television to turn it off, Minjeong almost tripped over when her foot hit something, someone. Thankfully Minjeong was able to find her balance as she rest her hand on the cabinet beside her.

 

After regaining her composure and turning off the television, Minjeong straighten her pajamas before trying to wake up the sleeping figure that was currently on the floor.

 

Such a big baby. Minjeong whispers to the woman as she tuck in a stray hair behind her ear.

 

Heaving a deep sigh, Minjeong savors the peace that hangs around the atmosphere before it disappears in just a few moment.

 

She knows Jimin hate, she hates being disturbed when she's sleeping. That's why it took her almost an hour before deciding to finally intervene Jimin's sleep.

 

She knows she'd be facing the older woman's wrath once she wake her up but seeing the woman sleeping on the cold floor without any blanket to protect her from the tiled floor she'd take Jimin's outburst.

 

 

 

"Hey wake up."

 

"Jimin."

 

"Jimin-ie wake up."

 

It took Minjeong multiple times before Jimin finally stirred in her sleep and open her eyes. Saying that Minjeong's heart stopped beating for a second when her eyes meet the sleepy eyes of the older woman would be an understatement. For a few seconds they stayed there, staring at each other without saying anything. 

 

The calm before the storm, Minjeong thought.

 

Jimin's sleepy eyes scanned her surroundings before finally landing on the woman who she knows disrupt her peaceful slumber.

 

Minjeong was about to open to explain when she saw the knitted brows of the woman laying on the floor but Jimin beat her to it.

 

"Oh no you didn't." Jimin uttered each word with intensity as she sat up on the floor.

 

"I'M SORRY!" Minjeong was quick to apologize when she heard the latter's words. If her eyes could kill at the moment, Minjeong knew she'd have a hole bored on her forehead already.

 

"Sorry? The one thing that I hated the most, Minjeong." Jimin said as she walked towards the room where just a few minutes ago, Minjeong paced endlessly.

 

The poor young woman could only bow her head as an extra apology. "I didn't want you to be cold." Minjeong said trying to appease Jimin even though she knew nothing could calm her at the moment.

 

With the door halfway open already, Jimin turned back to look at Minjeong who was currently pinned in her position. "You should have covered me with blankets then."

 

"But you'd still be l—"

 

Jimin wasn't taking any excuses. Minjeong knew this. This is what she was trying to avoid earlier but she eventually gave up and took into consideration the health of the older woman.

 

"You are not to sleep beside me for a week. Got it?" Jimin warned her. Minjeong could only nod as she accept the consequence of her action. And with that the door shuts close leaving Minjeong to sleep alone this time and for the upcoming week.

 

If she had a choice, she would rather have Jimin shout at her than have this punishment for a week. At least her outburst only last for a few hours, Minjeong thought to herself when she saw the couch who would be her companion for the next seven days.

 

 

 

Now I'm the one that's cold. Minjeong thought as she stretched her body on the couch. Letting out a sigh, she finally accepts her fate while hugging herself to at least get some warmth.

Minjeong was at that point where she was almost giving in to sleep when she felt something covering her up.

Jimin. Minjeong smiled to herself when she felt a cozy material enclose her body. Her night just got a little warmer.