The Past; Good Friends

Unknown Romance of the Past

 

Jason found himself squishing his cheek together," That's so cute! Oh my god, he should have kissed her!" Everyone seemed to brighten up from his fanboying comment," But Jonghyun appa," He started," I didn't know you used to be a playboy."

"Hey that was only in middle school!" Jonghyun snapped while all the adults stared at him in shock. His eyes widened," What?"

Jason chuckled," Then who's the girl that made you change?"

Jonghyun gave him a ' you have got to be kidding me look', " Who do you think Jason?"

".... Jessica?"

Everyone else burst out laughing while Jonghyun dramatically fainted on to his fiancee's shoulder," My son... why is he like this?"

Seohyun patted Jason's back," You'll find out sooner or later. For now, you have to go to sleep. You have school tomorrow."

The Ice Prince pouted and used all the aegyo that had rubbed off from Sunny," But umma~ I wanna hear the rest of the story!"

Kyung sighed," Jason, this is emotionally exhausting for us all. Give your parents some rest okay?"

"Mmmm.... fine." He reluctantly agreed as he went off to bed.

~~

Jason rolled around in his bed. He couldn't sleep. He wanted so badly to hear the rest of the story," So Jessica and Jinki are potential lovers.." He muttered to himself," They better get together. I ship them together." Jason felt a smile slowly creep on his lips before he went all out fanboying. He froze when a sudden thought came to him, causing him to jump out of his bed and sprint to Jonghyun's room," JONGHYUN APPA! IT WAS KYUNGSOON UMMA RIGHT?"

Said appa sat upright on his bed when he heard his son's voice," Huh?" He yawned and stretched.

Jason plopped himself on the edge of the queen sized bed," It was Kyungsoon umma that changed you right?"

Jonghyun gave him a small smile and ruffled his already messy bed hair," I knew my son was smart," Jonghyun yawned," But Jason, you'll find out all about that later. If you really can't sleep because if it..." He paused," Go to the appa who loves banana milk to hear the next part of the story."

Jason thought about it," TAEMINNIE APPA." He exclaimed when it clicked - though it should have when he heard the words banana milk. Jason thanked his sleepy appa and barged into Taemin's room. There was no need to wake the dancing king up because he was still up, writing things at his desk on a notebook.

"Jonghyun sent you over didn't he?" Taemin groaned and Jason nodded happily.

Jason sat himself on the ground by Taemin's legs like a dog would," Taeminnie appa, please tell me  your part of the story."

Taemin close his notebook and crossed his arms before turning to his son," What am I getting in return?"

"In return?" Jason raised a brow.

Taemin rolled his eyes and pointed at the clock above him," It's 2AM. I'll tell you the story if I get something in return.At least my part I'm suppose to tell."

"Banana milk."

Those two words sent Taemin rolling on the ground next to his son. He composed himself and sat upright, wrapping his arm around Jason's shoulders," Well, after Jinki hyung and Sica noona sang their song, it only took a few weeks before Sica started warming up to all of us ..."

 

~~

 

"Noona!" Taemin called when he spotted Jessica in the sea of students. The Ice Princess waved at him and smiled in response. The younger boy was glad that she had stopped giving her Ice Princess vibe off to him since it was quite intimidating. He hugged her briefly," Noona, how about we walk to lunch together? I can't find hyungs anywhere."

The blonde frowned at him," Am I just a replacement then?"

"Eh?! Aniyo!"

Jessica smiled and patted his back," I was kidding. C'mon kiddo, let's go."

The pair eventually made their ways through the long lines of hungry students before getting to their table with the others. No one talked since they were too busy stuffing their faces with food. Jessica felt as if she was attached to them. It was different back at her old school. She distanced herself from everyone and it's not like they minded. But here? They all wanted to be her friends, they wanted to be a part of her life and now they were. Although she only knew them for  a few months now, she felt like they were family.

Jinki nudged Jessica with his elbow," Sica~ It's your turn to ask a question."

The nudge took Jessica out of her thought," Hm?"

"Your turn to ask a questio- Were you even paying attention?"

"No." She bluntly replied and blinked at him.

"Well we're doing like a would you rather game right now." Jinki explained, he paused when Jessica stared at him blankly. He sighed, " Like.." His eyes averted to Jonghyun," Jonghyun, if you had to go out with someone who would it be? Kyungsoon or Tiffany?"

"Oh Kyungsoon hands down." Jonghyun quickly responded before taking a sip of juice.  He tried to ignore the fuming Jinki glaring at him by looking around the room," Ah speaking of her, where is she?"

Hyoyeon laughed at Jinki's overprotective brother ways," But anyways, Sica! Who's more of your style? Jinki or Taeminnie?"

"Oh! For me, Jinki."

"Eh your style?" Jinki's jaw dropped a bit but he still had a small smile on his face.

Jessica nodded casually," He's just so affectionate and good natured. Very very good natured."

"What about his sense of humor?" Yuri asked.

"I don't have a sense of humor so I don't need it." She replied causing everyone to laugh and Jinki - who always sits next to her- to open his arms up for a hug with a shy but happy smile.  The Ice Princess ignored his antics and continued to compliment the chicken maniac," He sang with me for our project and he has a really nice voice. I like a man good at singing."

Jinki couldn't contain his happiness any longer and pulled Jessica in for a bear hug," Aigo~! I'm someone's style!"

To him it was more than just how he was someone's style. He was Jessica's style and that filled him up with joy. It gave him hope that maybe he did have a chance after all. Over the past few months, Jinki had thought about his feelings. When he saw Jessica, his heart fluttered. When he heard her voice, a smile never failed to be plastered on his face. The happiness that spread all over his body when she had picked him so quickly. This couldn't just be nothing. It was something. Maybe he could say he had a crush on her but it had been a while now and he questions himself everyday.

Am I in love with her?

"Whoa say what?" A voice gasped behind him, taking him out of his deep thoughts.

Jinki gave Jessica some time to breath and turned to his younger sister," Kyung! I'm someone's style!" He was about to go on but he noticed a familiar girl standing next to her. The older boy slowly and awkwardly got out of his seat," Are you..."

"Yah. Lee Jinki, do you want to get smacked in the face?" The new girl said in a joking manner.

"JIN KYONG!~" Jinki exclaimed and hugged his cousin.

Jonghyun grinned at the sight of Kyungsoon, waved her over and patted the empty seat next to him. Kyungsoon smiled while she walked over to him," Everyone this is our cousin, Jin Kyong. She managed to get into an exchange student program and she's staying here for..." She paused when she tried to sit down at the crammed table, " 2 weeks. Right?"

Jin Kyong nodded and squished herself at the table along with Jinki," Deh. Well 2 weeks at max. They might make me leave earlier. Unni don't let them take me~"

"What part of America are you from?" Jessica asked the girl next to her.

Jin Kyong turned to her and her eyes widened," You're REALLY pretty. You must be Jessica." Everyone but Jinki and Kyungsoon slowly scooted away from her," What?" She raised an eyebrow," These two talk a lot about you all." She defended herself while pointing at her cousins," But I know Jessica the most because Jinki is always talking about her-"

Jinki immediately covered with his hand and ignored the surprised glances everyone was giving him," Ah shall we continue with our game? Oh and also Jonghyun, stay the hell away from my sister." He did the 'i got my eyes on you' ' gesture and glared at his friend.

Minho chuckled," So over protective. But what's this about you talking about Jessica noona all the time?" Minho smirked as Jinki refused to make eye contact with him and started humming loudly.

"Ah so Minho, if you had to go out with a girl in our group who would it be? Yuri or Seohyun?" Jinki snapped making the younger boy shut his mouth and fidget with his fingers. He smiled, " Three second to answer or else we'll add in a punishment!"

"Yah hyung! When did this happen?!" Minho shouted.

"Just now." Taeyeon laughed," Hurry up and pick Choi."

"....."

"1... 2....3.." The group chanted, all eyes on Minho.

"AISH FINE YURI. OKAY? I PICK YURI!" Minho yelled and even stood up from the table.

Jin Kyong stared at him with wide eyes," Punishment for embarrassing this table Minho."

Sooyoung pulled out a mini bottle of soy sauce from her lunch bag," Drink it."

Minho's jaw dropped," But it's the size of my thumb!"

"Drink it." Jessica glared, giving him her Ice Princess glare. Minho did as he was told.

"Sica!" Sunny exclaimed," Would you go out with Jinki if you had the chance?" Everyone stared at the flustered Ice Princess," 1,2,3! Punishment for unni~!" Sunny grinned.

Seohyun picked up a cucumber from her salad," Here you go unni." She said casually despite knowing how much Sica despised cucumbers.

"Can't I have someone eat it for me instead?" Sica grimaced, pinching her nose.

Jinki took the slice of vegetable, blinked at it and then put it in his mouth," I'll eat it for her." Everyone stared at him before he dashed away from the table and then out of sight.

"JINKI ARE YOU CRAZY?!" Kyungsoon scolded her brother.

"Ah wae?" Jessica asked, relived she had escaped her punishment.

"HE'S ALLERGIC TO CUCUMBERS AND ANYTHING ELSE LIKE IT. YAH YOU ANTI-MELON BOY! WHY WOULD YOU EAT IT?"

"You should have said something Jinki!" Jessica scolded herself. All that mattered to her right now was that he was okay since if he did have a reaction, it would have been all her fault," Aish! Lee Jinki!" She shouted and then chased after him.

A feeling of concern overflowed her as she ran around frantically. Where did he go?

~

Jinki coughed one finally time as his throat still felt a little itchy. He had to spit it out somewhere and he didn't want to do it in front of everyone. He had still managed to hear his sister yelling at him though. She was right. What compelled him to do such a thing? Ever since he first discovered his anti-melon side, the reaction had scared him. His lips would get all puffy, the area around his lips got red, his eyes got watery and stung, the experience was always awful. So what made him do it? He wiped his mouth and thought about it a bit more.

Because I wanted to be her knight in shining armor. He thought. He knew how much Jessica hated cucumbers. without a second thought he had eaten it. For her. Why he did it? He didn't know. Of course he knew that he would be at risk with getting an allergic reaction. All in that moment, although the cucumber wasn't really a harm to his noona, he felt like he had to protect her. From things she didn't like, things she didn't want to do. There was just something, some kind of unknown reason why he did it.

 

~~~

 

Taemin yawned and rolled on the ground," Ah Jason I'm done for today. I'm too sleepy."

Jason pouted," But I wanna know what happens!"

"Hyung was okay afterwards. Jessica found him, he ended up not getting a reaction so they just came back a few minutes later. Then we went to class and blah blah blah." Taemin briefly summarized in a slur," Seriously, that's my part. I'm done."

Jason crossed his arms and huff," Aish fine. But I think I know what made Jinki do it."

"Hm?"

"Because he loves her so~ much! The power of love!" Jason said in a cheesy manner, shutting his eyes tightly with a smile as he fist pumped in joy.

Taemin cracked a smile at his son's antics. Jason started to get up when suddenly Taemin grabbed his ankle, "The next person is the umma that's about to get married." He muttered before letting go of his son's ankle and rolling towards his bed.

"But there's two!"

"The Black Pearl umma." Taemin sighed as he used the wee bit of energy left in him to crawl into his bed.

Jason's mouth formed a O and he left the room to let his appa rest.  But Taemin wasn't resting, his mind was trapped in the one snippet he couldn't tell Jason..

 

~~~

Jessica pressed her lips together," I'm really sorry Jinki! I didn't know you were allergic, I should have just eaten the darn cucumber-"

Jinki put up his hand and shook his head," It's fine. I don't feel a reaction coming on so I'll be fine."

"But what if it comes later? It'll all be my fault!" Jessica panicked, covering her face with her hands. She stopped them from walking and put her hands on his shoulders," If anything happens to you I'm really really sorry and I'll take care of Kyung for you if you end up in the hospital."

"Sica, I'm fine. Really." Jinki assured the paranoid girl.

Jessica squished his cheeks together," No you're not! Your eyes are getting watery and your mouth is getting bigger!" She paused and she brows furrowed. At that moment she realized how she was closer to everyone else. She was able to share at least share some skin ship with the everyone in their group. Everyone but Jinki," How's your skin so soft...?" She thought aloud.

Jinki chuckled," They call me dubu for a reason."

"Dubu? Ah! Dubu Onew!" Jessica exclaimed and clapped her hand together when the idea came to her," Your nickname! Dubu Onew! You can use it as your stage name for when we become idols!"

"Dubu Onew? Onew?" Jinki repeated," Wae?"

"It reflects your personality and voice."

Jinki thought about  it some more. Jessica was right, it did reflect his personality and voice. Soft. That's what he was. Plus it already was his nickname in a way just only dubu. Jinki smiled," I like it. Call me that from now on."

"Hm?" Jessica's eyes widened in shock that he was taking her little idea seriously," Call you what?"

"Onew."