Bittersweet

Bittersweet

 

It’s a beautiful morning. The sun had risen just like the usual day I spend in this secluded condominium. I switched on the music player and played my most favorite song...the song which reminded of the bliss I felt a long long time before. Sipping a cup of hot espresso, I heard the doorbell rang which was unusual since I rarely had visitors in the morning. I opened the door and was greeted by a handsome messenger.

 

 

“Good morning! Ms. Lee Chaerin?” He asked as he looked at me.

 

 

“Yes, I am. What can I do for you?” I showed him the sweetest smile I could pose.

 

 

“Here’s a package for you ma’am.” He handed me a sealed envelope and had me sign a receiving form.

 

 

“What’s this for?” I inquired as soon as I finished signing the form.

 

 

“I’m sorry ma’am but I don’t know what’s in it. We’re prohibited to see the contents of packages especially if it’s confidential,” he answered politely.

 

 

“Ow, is that so? Well, thanks!” The messenger bowed before leaving. I closed the door and immediately opened the package as I walk across the room. I slumped on my sofa but I instantly stiffened as I saw the contents of the package.

 

 

 

 

You are cordially invited to our wedding.

We hope you could come and be part of our special celebration.

 

~Jiyong and Dara~

 

 

 

 

The invitation card slid down my hands and fell to the floor. My mind went blank, not knowing how to react with the sudden news. I suddenly felt like I was out of breath. I don’t know why but there’s something inside me that I just can’t explain. It's like all the blood circulating in my body had drained and everything around seemed to stop as if on pause. 

 

 

As realization hit me, I stared at the invitation card. I picked it up from the carpeted floor and placed it on the middle table. I leaned back on the sofa and felt the warm tears running down my pale cheeks. It wasn’t helpful hearing my favorite song since it brought back memories.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

Days had passed and still I was stucked in the thought of the wedding invitation I received from Jiyong. Suddenly my phone rang. I answered it without looking who the caller was.

 

 

“Hello?” I asked.

 

 

“Chaerin?” he said. My eyes widened as soon as I heard his familiar voice, the voice which haunted me for years.

 

 

“Jiyong?” I asked.

 

 

“You still haven’t changed your number huh?” I heard him chuckled. It dawned on me how I missed the sound of his voice.

 

 

“Yo! What’s up? It’s been a long time since I heard from you...and now I heard that you’re settling down with this girl named Dara huh?” I faked a laugh, and pretended that everything’s okay.

 

 

“Oh, so you received it already? The invitation I mean,” he asked.

 

 

“Yup.” I said.

 

 

“So...uhmmm...” he said, sounding hesitant.

 

 

“So?” I asked, urging him to continue.

 

 

“So...could you come?” he asked. I didn’t answer at once.

 

 

“I guess...it’s a no?” he continued. Still, I didn’t answer.

 

 

“I understand if you couldn’t. It’s oka-”

 

 

“I’ll try. I’m still not sure if I’ll have an appointment on that day.” I answered monotonously.

 

 

“Great!” he sounded cheerful upon hearing my reply.

 

 

“Please don’t put your hopes up. I’m still not sure okay?” I lightly chuckled.

 

 

“Yup! But the possibility of you going was enough for me to be happy.” he said.

 

 

 My heart constricted by his statement.

 

 

“Enough with drama ‘kay? I still had an appointment to attend. I’ll hang up now. Best wishes to both of you...” I lied. I guess I’m starting to learn the basics of pretension.

 

 

A moment of silence followed. Neither of us wanted to cut the line. It's been a long time since we last talked and I didn't seem to take notice of it. This moment of silence we shared, even just through the phone, seemed to consume a year or so.

 

 

“I missed you...” he told me suddenly. I tried to fight back the stubborn tears that's threatening to escape my eyes. Again, the world around me seemed to stop. How could he do this, making my world stop with just those three little big words? There was a long pause before I answered, “Me too...Bye...”

 

 

 

“Bye!” He said. Apparently, I thought that I was successful enough to hide the true emotions inside this heart of mine. With that I hanged up, never wanting to prolong the conversation...to prolong my agony, for I fear that I might succumb to these unforgiveable sentiments. Hearing the monotonous tone of a dead line, I held my phone tightly and realized that heavy tears had already found its way down my pallidcheeks. I just can’t contain it anymore.

 

 

With full courage, I stood up, opened the TV, and played some random videos of Jiyong and I when we were still in high school and college. I know I’m being stupid doing this but I just wanna see these videos, maybe, for the last time.

 

 

Jiyong was my first love, and we were one of the highschool sweethearts in our school. We’d been together for six years. Six long years, which ended when we were still in our senior year in college. I was the one who broke up with him. My reason? I fell out of love...but that’s what I thought. I told myself that it’s over, and I keep on believing that I had moved on. We remained friends but I didn’t notice that what I’ve always wanted was to bring back the relationship we had before. The relationship that I dread to regain, with all those blissful moments. Maybe I feared confronting such fact and I didn't realize it 'til now. I didn’t think that the day would come when he would introduce to me a girl, whom he will eventually marry. I was too confident that I’m the only girl he wanted. I was too conceited and I know that it’s my fault. Maybe Mr. Fate wanted to wake me up from those illusions. That could be it. Maybe Mr. Fate wanted me to move on but I just can't find the courage to do it.

 

 

I cried harder as I played the video that he gave to me for our 5th anniversary. He wasn’t the usual sweet guy that every girl would love, but this video made me cried because he made a song for me as a present, and after it was a message of how lucky he was to find me and that he would always be the luckiest person as long as I’m with him. I guess that video gave me the assurance that he would never find a better girl other than me.

 

 

I turned off the TV and continued crying. I just wished that these tears would literally wash all my pains and sufferings but I know that it won't. Maybe I should really try to move on, but the question is how? HOW?

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

After a few weeks, I met with Jiyong and her bride-to-be in one of the boutiques in Incheon. They asked me to come for the fitting of our dress. The tailor took my body measurements, after which was Jiyong's turn. Dara approached me. It was my first time seeing the bride, and she’s stunningly beautiful and cute. She’s somehow petite and seemed to be very reserved. ‘The exact opposite of Jiyong...the exact opposite of me.’ I thought.

 

 

I had fun talking with her. She’s such a nice and loveable person and as our conversation went, I found out that she had the qualities of a suitable wife... No wonder Jiyong loved her. She’s different from me but I think she was the better choice.

 

 

After getting Dara's body measurements, we bid our goodbyes and went separate ways. As I boarded the bus and sat on one of the empty chairs, I felt relieved, contented, and happy for I know that Jiyong was in the right hands...that he chose to marry the right girl. Yes, I’m hurt but I should let him go. He deserved to be happy. That's the least I could do.

 

 

I would still keep the memories we had before because it would always remind me that I once felt genuine happiness.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

(months later...)

 

 

I looked into the mirror. I smiled as I saw the beautiful figure in front of me. Don’t get me wrong but the figure in front of me reflected a very happy person, a girl who had grown into a stunning woman... a stronger woman, better than the Lee Chaerin the people knew. 

 

 

I drove off to the wedding venue. I sat on my assigned seat and gazed on the dazzling figure of Dara, who was walking down the aisle wearing a white glittery haltered gown. As soon as she drew near Jiyong, I could see that she was trying her best not to cry but the stubborn tears won’t wither.

 

 

The wedding ended as soon as they kissed passionately in front of everyone, projecting a very happy couple who were so in love with each other.Though I'm stronger than before, I can't help but get teary-eyed. I just didn't if these tears were meant for happiness or the otherwise. After some picture-taking, we proceeded toward the reception venue, which was a beach located nearby.

 

 

I looked for Jiyong among the guests and immediately went to him as soon as I spotted him.

 

 

“Jiyong...can we have a talk?” I asked as I approached him.

 

 

“Sure...is there anything wrong?” he answered while exchanging greetings with the other guests.

 

 

I walked ahead of him silently. He just followed me in silence. Every step I took, I considered it as a step back to the years I spent with him. I headed towards the beach coast, which overviewed the beautiful sunset. This golden sunset would be the witness, and would remind me of what I was about to do. Upon reaching a spot, which I knew no one would notice us, I stopped in my tracks. I heard him stopped too.

 

 

“Are you happy?” I asked without turning back.

 

 

He was quiet for a moment. That seemingly long pause made me want to burst out, as if my heart was aching to get out from my body. With every ticking second that had passed, I could hear the beating of my heart, loudly and clearly enough that I thought Jiyong would hear it despite the raging waves of the sea.

 

 

“Yes,” he replied.

 

 

I could feel the tears surfacing my eyes, slowly blurring my sight. We shared a silent moment. Only the rustling of the wind and the gentle waves of the sea could be heard from the background. I turned to him, not minding if he could see the stubborn tears flowing down my cheeks.

 

 

I closed the distance between us, and held his hands tightly.

 

 

“Congratulations...you finally found her.” I smiled bitterly.

 

 

He just stared at me with those melting eyes of his. With tears continuously flowing, I kissed him gently, a short kiss of goodbye...of contentment...of understanding...

 

 

I looked at him after we broke the kiss. I handed him a small piece of paper, and left without saying a word, not even bothering to look back for I might lose it..

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------

 

Jiyong opened the paper and smiled as soon as he read the message.

 

 

Thanks for the memories. At least now, I’m free. 

                                                                    ~Chaerin

 

 

Jiyong decided to stay for a while in that spot, while facing the setting sun.

 

 

‘Forever I will treasure those moments, Chaerin....’ Jiyong thought to himself.

 

 

He admired the beauty of the setting sun and realized that he never had the time to appreciate the beautiful scene in front of him. And now, he knew that this setting sun would always remind him of what used to be, will always remind him of her. 

 

 

After a few moments, he slid the piece of paper he was holding inside the pockets of his black velvet tuxedo. He started to walk back to the reception venue where Dara was patiently...and happily...waiting...for him.

 

 

 

 

 

~END~