right place, right time

(don't) come back to me

“I don’t get it, how can he be so heartlesssss,” Jungwoo slurs, alcohol clouding his senses.

He had finally decided to share the details of his breakup with his friends.

They were in a bar outside the campus at Sicheng’s insistence. According to the guy, he felt so bad for what Jungwoo had to go through earlier that he thought it was best to comfort him over good drinks… on a Monday.

Joohyun was convinced that it was just another excuse for Sicheng to get himself drunk.

“Was I that hard to love that he got over me so quickly? It looked like a walk in the park for him,” Jungwoo sighs.

Nooooo, he’s an , Woo,” Sicheng supplies, as wasted as Jungwoo is. “And the nerve to suggest that you guys remain friends? What a selfish bastard!”

“I had to say yes because I’m taking whatever I can get.”

“You don’t have to explain yourself, I’m not judging. I know how much you love him.”

“That's what everyone keeps saying. I guess he was the only one who couldn’t see that.”

“Have you ever thought that he might’ve met someone else, but he didn’t know how to tell you?”

Sicheng gets a light kick on the shin for this presumption.

Seulgi glares at him, equaling the nasty look the drunk guy sent her way.

The brokenhearted boy chokes, eyes welling with tears. “You think he cheated on me?”

“Doyoung wouldn’t do that,” Joohyun interrupts swiftly. “You said it yourself, Woo. He told you that he wants to discover more about himself alone. Let’s trust him.”

“What a load of bullsh— Ow!” Sicheng takes another hit on his shin, harder this time.

Joohyun ignores the escalating exchange between her lover and Sicheng. “Look, just because Doyoung looks fine doesn’t mean he really is.”

“You should’ve seen him, he was radiating with joy,” Jungwoo pouts.

“Maybe he’s good at hiding it,” Joohyun suggests. “It may sound cliché, but what he said was actually a very valid reason, Woo.”

Jungwoo doesn’t respond, only downs another shot of tequila.

“And I’m happy you chose to respect his decision.”

Joohyun was the best at comforting, among all of Jungwoo's friends. She never hesitated in her actions or stuttered with her words and it’s one of the reasons why Jungwoo needed someone like her in his life so much, to balance whatever Sicheng had going on.

Jungwoo smiles bitterly. “I wasn't left with much of a choice.”

“Do that again one more time and I’ll have my shoe on your face,” Sicheng threatens, everyone at the table turning their attention to him.

There was an awkward pause to which Seulgi scoffs.

She wasn’t intimidated by Sicheng despite knowing he had a tendency to get aggressive when drunk. He was only all talk though; she knew he despised it when arguments turned physical.

“Why can’t he discover more about himself while he’s with me?” Jungwoo asks after a while.

“There are some things better discovered when you’re alone, Woo,” Seulgi replies this time. “It’s the same with how Joohyun only notices glaring text errors from your usual homework at home and not when she’s reading it in some noisy cafeteria.”

“You think I’m like some noisy cafeteria?” Jungwoo starts tearing up again, resting his head on the table.

“Of course not, you know that’s not what I mean,” Seulgi assures, running a hand on Jungwoo’s back. “There are some things you handle better when you’re alone, away from distractions.”

“All people go through this phase at least once in their lives to help themselves not just become a better partner to someone but to grow as an individual as well,” Joohyun helpfully adds. “Consider this to also be a perfect time for you to focus on yourself.”

The words sound like mere platitudes to Jungwoo. “Will you break up with Seulgi?”

“What?”

“Will you break up with her?” Jungwoo raises his head, motioning it towards the direction where said girl was listening. “You said everyone goes through that, right? Then why haven’t I seen you two break up, when you have fights worse than ours?”

Seulgi and Joohyun look at each other unable to answer, prompting Jungwoo to continue. “You’ve been together, what? Six? Seven years? How come neither of you had that phase?” Jungwoo air quotes at Joohyun mockingly.

“Well...”

“I’ll tell you why,” Sicheng hiccups, tripping over his syllables as he continues. “It’s because you’re too clingy, angel. And don’t get me wrong, there’s absto—absolutely nothing wrong with that,” he slams his hand on the table.

“But Doyoung’s always been about this whole independence thing, y’know? You two just didn’t...” Sicheng squints through half-lidded eyes, looking for a fitting word to use, then settles for clicking his tongue.

Jungwoo mimics the tongue-click. “We didn’t click?”

“Sicheng—”

“Wait, let me finish,” he holds his hand out at Joohyun. “I’m not talking about compatibility, I think you can be compatible with anyone if you really want to. Doyoung didn’t try to meet you halfway and that’s where these two excel at, finding the middle ground,” Sicheng points to the girls.

Jungwoo turns silent, weighing his friends’ different advice and opinions.

“You should try reflecting on what I said, I meant it,” Joohyun says.

Jungwoo is about to agree when Sicheng chimes in. “So, we’re letting Doyoung off the hook?”

“What hook? The guy didn’t do anything wrong,” Seulgi states in a matter-of-factly tone.

“So did Jungwoo!” the Chinese boy groans. “It’s getting frustrating how you’re not seeing this from my perspective. The guy played him, for ’s sake.”

“You’re escalating this again—”

“No, Seul, you’re making it too easy for him!” Sicheng asserts. “Relationships aren’t games, you can’t just leave the other one hanging when you don’t feel like it anymore.”

“You sound like an old married woman.”

“Who says I’m not? Anyway, that’s beside the point, I’ll make sure he feels the same pain he inflicted on my friend.”

The three look at him expectantly.

“I think the quickest, most fool-proof way to get over any guy is to find one that can outdo him in all aspects.”

“That’s...” Joohyun struggles to find the word. “Vague.”

“Let’s show Doyoung that he won't be the only one who’s moving on for the better.”

“No one can outdo Doyoung,” Jungwoo sulks.

“The world is full of options, angel, you just have to know where to look. Trust me, he will be wanting you back when he sees how much you’ve grown without him,” Sicheng smirks, mind beginning to strategize.

I love planning so much.

 

+++

 

The rest of the week passes with Sicheng never failing to drag the group to the same bar. He advocates for the place’s immaculate atmosphere (coughs, drinks, coughs) as being the best for hatching plans.

“We can’t make it to tonight’s sesh,” Joohyun starts with caution in her voice.

Sicheng walks to a halt, looking offended at his friend’s suggestion.

They were in the parking lot with the Chinese boy expecting the gang to follow their recent arrangement. The couple, however, had other plans.

“What? Why?”

“We’ve been drinking since the start of the week—”

“Exactly! And we’re stopping on a Friday? Friday, of all days? This is a crime!” Sicheng stomps his foot.

Well, it was bad timing and Joohyun belatedly wondered why they couldn’t have told the boys earlier.

“Look, we can drop you off at the bar for a few drinks, granted, we’re leaving after a few shots because—”

“It’s okay, we should go home,” Jungwoo breaks the argument.

He knew how willing Joohyun and Seulgi were to take care of them. But he understood that they had other things to do, too.

“They’re tired, Sicheng.”

Sicheng keeps mum, silently following them to the car.

“Besides, your plan’s already perfect! There’s no need to discuss anything further, this rebound plan can start as soon as possible,” Jungwoo consoles with a gentle smile.

 

+++

 

He still decides to drink.

In Jungwoo's defense, he did heed his friends’ concerns and went home.

But very quickly he realized that it was hard to be alone especially when his room was full of unwanted memories. Even without Doyoung’s things and his rearranged furniture, the space smelled like his ex and he would go insane if he didn’t leave.

He glances away from Sicheng’s text, a concise ‘b there in 20 c u ;*,’ to thank the bartender for his drink. He swallows the three shots of vodka steadily and feels the warmth slide from his throat down to sting his stomach, before settling to soften the joints in his knees.

The speakers bass out a Megan Thee Stallion song to which Jungwoo absentmindedly nods his head to. He observes the heaving heat of dancing bodies and decides that this was so much better than the deafening silence in his room.

Jungwoo misses this; going out just to drink and dance and he hadn’t done it in a long time.

He was closest to Sicheng for a reason, he used to have the same enthusiasm when it came to parties.

They were famously known in the university to be party chasers; gracing large gatherings with their debonair presence, being described by those around them as natural social butterflies that made a friend out of everyone they met.

Of course, when he got together with Doyoung, he stopped. The man’s mature and laidback nature grew on Jungwoo, tamed him even. He felt more at ease and homey and this ultimately led to calmer indoor dates, rather than the spontaneous adventures he was used to.

Sicheng was initially disappointed and made sure to throw snide remarks at how ‘weak he had become because of a mediocre relationship.’ That was until Sicheng was tied down in his own relationship, too, but Jungwoo took the jabs without spite.

They bonded over their mutual love for crowds and drinks, having that pushed aside kind of . So, he understood how his best friend felt.

He never blamed it on Doyoung, though, loved him too much to do that. He accepted his partner’s affinity for peace and quiet and Jungwoo didn’t second-guess to compromise.

Sacrifice has always been Jungwoo’s idea of love.

It’s quarter to eleven and a little over twenty minutes since Sicheng’s last text. Jungwoo grabs his phone from the table and texts: ‘where the hell are u?????’

He gets a response shortly after: ‘2 more mins dw ok jst chill’

On his way to Hongdae, Jungwoo realized how pathetic he would look without a companion so he texted Sicheng, aware of how much his best friend wanted to get out, as well.

The club they were meeting in used to be their favorite. The comm major thought it was the perfect place to start this “plan” since the place was familiar and full of traces from their frenzied escapades in the past.

“There is my angel,” Sicheng whistles.

His skin was peeking through a white lace button-up with a bow prettily tied by his neck. His hair was styled up and cheeks tinted peach and sprinkled with fake freckles.

Sicheng signals the bartender for drinks once he settles beside an impatient Jungwoo who silently scrutinizes him.

“Rate my look, don't be shy.”

“I would’ve been madder if you came here looking less hot than now,” Jungwoo replies taking one of Sicheng’s drinks.

Sicheng rolls his eyes and hurries to drink his own, before grabbing Jungwoo by the hand. “C’mon, we have to dance,” he shakes his shoulders.

They worm their way to the center of the crowd.

“Operation rebound starts now!” the Chinese man declares.

 

+++

 

It was exhilarating; they were buzzed, the music was heavy, people were pumped, and all their care was slipping.

“Jaehyun’s arriving tomorrow, right?” Jungwoo shouts through the music. His hips matching the other's sway, face inches away from one another.

Sicheng spins him by the hips and rests his hand there and Jungwoo naturally leans back to his chest, head tipped upwards to rest on the former's shoulder.

“Yeah, very early in the morning” Sicheng sighs in his ear.

It tickles a little, giving Jungwoo goosebumps all over. “Why do you sound sad?” he questions. “Be thankful you get to keep your boyfriend,” he grinds his hip harder on Sicheng as punishment.

Both of them were very aware of the growing pair of eyes trying to be discreet with staring at two attractive men grinding on each other.

They might as well give them a show.

“That’s not what I mean,” Sicheng tightens his hold on the other’s hip. “You know how Jaehyun is sometimes.”

“Snobbish?”

“Jungwoo!”

“Someone has to say it out loud at some point.”

“He’s merely being cautious around people he doesn’t know.”

“You mean people who he doesn’t consider to be on the same level as him.”

“Don’t be mean. He’s just misunderstood.”

“Whatever you say.”

“It’s just a little difficult to be on the same page as him. Sometimes, I can’t relate to his eagerness for his studies or the future.”

Jungwoo tilts his head to face his friend. “Communication,” he deadpans, before grabbing Sicheng by the back of his head and smashing their lips together.

This isn’t the time and place to be moping over relationships.

Sicheng immediately responds to the kiss, all tongue and bites as they allow their hands to roam each other’s body. The crowd cheers and they both feel each other’s smiles from the kiss.

They used to always do this before they both got into relationships, cause scenes that would make them the center of attraction. They understood and supported one another and their love for the spotlight and they devoted themselves to learning how to effectively command everyone’s attention.

Jungwoo starts to his way down at Sicheng’s neck with a hand placed by his nape to steady them both. “I think I found our guy,” Sicheng whispers as his eyes land on a guy sitting at the bar, staring intensely at them.

Jungwoo momentarily stops, following Sicheng’s gaze.

The man was handsome.

He hums, returning to bite a patch of skin on Sicheng’s collarbone.

 

+++

 

After two more songs, they return to the bar for drinks.

“Hey,” the guy from before approaches with two glasses of cocktail in hand. “Drink?” He s the concoction in Jungwoo’s direction which the latter gladly accepts.

Sicheng takes it as his cue to leave, going to the dance floor again.

“You’re new here,” the guy smirks, settling on Sicheng’s seat.

Jungwoo resists the urge to scoff. New? This might as well be my second home with how frequently I used to waste my nights away in this place.

“You could say that.”

“A close friend?” he motions to Sicheng.

“Very,” Jungwoo affirms as he unabashedly rakes his eyes over the guy.

He was tall, with broad shoulders, strong arms, and a face that would make any person turn their head to.

“I’m Sehun,” the stranger offers a hand.

The younger takes it. “Jungwoo.” My perfect guy!

 

+++

 

It’s past four in the morning when Jungwoo and Sicheng leave the club barely containing their laughter.

The sun was starting to peek from behind the clouds and high-rise buildings, leaving the fun and mischief of last night a secret for the shadows.

“Did you remember their faces?” Sicheng breathes through his hysterics. He was recalling their free make-out show. “I can’t believe these people sometimes.”

Jungwoo laughs. “We still have it in us. I haven't had that much fun in years.”

He checks his reflection from the glass walls outside the club, smiling at how crumpled his satin shirt had become. It was a sign of how much fun he had.

“Truly, we’re an unbeatable pair,” Sicheng agrees. “How was Prince Charming?”

“He was great, not as talkative as Doyoung, but he was really attentive.”

“It’s nice that you’re open to this, it makes our plan easier.”

“I wanna forget him as fast as I can.”

“You will, angel. Trust me.”

“Let’s stop at Jisoo’s before going home,” Jungwoo invites. “I prefer to wake up without a hangover tomorrow.”

Sicheng beams. “You mean for the rest of the day? The sun's up, pretty, so, good morning!”

 

+++

 

They arrived at a fully booked booth, with a line that was fairly long. The boys wasted no time queuing and deciding the flavors they were gonna get.

“God, I miss coming here, it’s been too long,” Jungwoo squeals in excitement. “I can’t wait to get my favorite.”

“Right? I can’t believe we let an entire school year pass without visiting this place,” Sicheng answers, nostalgia hitting him just as much.

The place sold one the most delicious soup in the area; it was their go-to after a wild night out, a space to recollect their thoughts and cool down before heading home.

They chattered some more and as they near the counter, a young man before them excuses himself to the comfort room, promising to be back on his turn.

Sicheng absently nods to this and goes back to respond to Jungwoo. “He texted me at 1:30 AM saying he just landed. He’s probably catching on some sleep now.”

“That’s good. So, you’re back to being on house arrest?”

“I wouldn’t call it that, I understand that he simply wants the best for me.”

“By being together 24/7,” Jungwoo replies with a roll of his eyes. “And no one knows what’s best for you but you.”

They were revisiting the Jaehyun topic since Jungwoo felt it was best if Sicheng knew his genuine opinions about their relationship.

“Do I really? Jae is very smart and dependable, he’s more capable at figuring these things out.”

“No one’s contesting that, but it would be infinitely better if you could also decide on your own.”

“Maybe that’s just it! Maybe I can’t decide for my own because I don’t know what I want to begin with.”

“You say that every time, yet you hate it when he tells you what to do.”

“Complaining and throwing little tantrums help me destress, okay?” Sicheng shrugs. “It doesn’t mean I’m against the things he wants nor do I love him any less. I’m already aware of how bratty I am and Jae has always been patient with me.”

“Whatever you say,” Jungwoo returns the shrug.

There was no getting through to Sicheng when it came to his relationship. He figured he was the same before when it came to Doyoung.

“Hi, can I get your order?” the cashier greets merrily.

Sicheng easily mirrors the expression. “Hello, I’d like an order of the,” he scans the plastered poster of the menu, mind still processing the previous conversation. “The bokguk.”

The cashier presses a few buttons on her computer. “And for your companion, Sir?”

Jungwoo answers this time. “Oh, I’d like to have haejang—”

“Hey guys, sorry!” The boys turn their heads to see a tall guy, about their age, grin sheepishly. “I had a bit of a stomach problem,” he chuckles.

Jungwoo and Sicheng look at each other pointedly.

“Anyway, I was the guy before you two. Would it be okay if I order first?” the stranger asks, scratching his long hair tied in a bun.

“Yeah, I remember. Sure, go on,” Sicheng smiles, stepping back with Jungwoo.

The cashier restarts the order and asks for his.

“Can I have an order of the haejangguk, please? For take out.”

The cashier nods, turning to her computer to register the new order and ask for the payment. It takes a few minutes before a staff from the booth packs the food.

“You’re lucky to enjoy the last order of our best-seller, Sir,” she attempts to make small talk while handing the change and the box of soup.

This doesn’t slip from Jungwoo’s notice. “What do you mean last order?”

“That was the last order of our haejangguk, Sir,” the cashier turns to him as the man turns to leave.

Jungwoo couldn’t believe his luck, he lost his order of soup to a lousy guy.

Still intoxicated from a night of dinking, he uses this to build on his courage and grabs the elbow of the unknown boy.

“Hey, give me back my soup,” he demands with the most aggressive voice he can muster.

The man turns to face him, a ghost of a smirk dancing on his lips, to which Jungwoo glares at. “Excuse me?” He queries, raising a thick brow.

“Jungwoo,” Sicheng warns.

Said boy ignores his friend, “I said give me back my soup.”

He wills himself not to slur his words, afraid he might look less intimidating if the nameless boy finds out he was -faced drunk.

“Last time I checked, I paid for it, Sir,” the tall guy grins politely. “So, this is my soup,” he declares before walking away from the booth, away from the people who were beginning to stare at them, to head to the nearest bus stop.

Jungwoo quickly follows. “I was about to order it when you came and inserted yourself in line,” he says through gritted teeth, shrugging off Sicheng’s tugs at his arm of ‘let’s just order another flavor.’

The tall guy chuckles, “Sir, I wasn’t inserting in line, I was originally ahead of you. I was getting back in line,” he reasons without bothering to stop in his tracks or look at Jungwoo. This guy is obviously drunk, not someone I wanna waste my time and energy on.

Jungwoo grunts, frustrated at how he was being treated. “You said you’d be back before your turn and you weren’t, you jerk!”

“I said, on my turn.”

“I said, give that back,” Jungwoo yells before going for the unidentified person’s wrist.

Sicheng's gasp is drowned in the background. “Jungwoo, stop that!”

His scolding falls on deaf ears.

The stranger is faster, stretching his hand above his head and away from Jungwoo’s grasp.

The tall guy was well... very tall. However, this doesn’t deter Jungwoo from closing the distance between him and the soup-napper.

Jungwoo ignores the strong honey caramel scent ading his senses, tiptoeing for the soup.

“Give me that,” he exclaims as he bends his knees preparing to jump when he suddenly finds himself in Sicheng’s hold.

“I’m so sorry, Sir,” he hears Sicheng say. “My friend’s drunk and he—”

“Why are you apologizing to him? He cut in line!” Jungwoo retorts indignantly, trying to escape from Sicheng’s arm. His eyes never leave the soup in the unknown man’s grasp.

“My friend had alcohol and we went here to sober up. He’s not himself now.”

The stranger offers a placating grin that does very little to calm down the struggling Jungwoo. To the latter, the boy looked cocky, as if teasing him about the soup he didn’t get.

“It’s okay, Sir. I understand,” he responds, disregarding Jungwoo’s snarky comment.

The tall guy bowed a little before proceeding to walk off.

“No,” Jungwoo protests as he tries to wiggle himself free from Sicheng’s grip. “Don’t you see? The whole shy and awkward persona was a ploy to cut in line! He tricked us!” he cries.

There is no way this guy is getting my soup; I came here for this and I’m not giving up that easily.

All his efforts to break free were futile as Sicheng only tightened his grip on his torso.

Jungwoo gives up, completely stiffens seeing the nameless boy’s slowly retreating figure.

Sicheng loosens his grip once the stranger is in a considerably far distance. “Finally. I was beginning to wonder when you were gonna keep that up, you mor—” 

Jungwoo was already gone, sprinting madly towards the unknowing tall guy.

He screams as he closes the distance between him and the stranger and tackles him to the ground, “Gotcha!” he smiles at the figure pinned beneath him.

The latter is stunned and unable to say anything and Jungwoo smirks at the expression.

The tall guy could only watch him through long thick lashes, eyes running all over his face before settling to look back at his eyes.

Jungwoo hears Sicheng calling his name. He hurriedly gets up to take the soup from his victim’s hand only to see the box a few feet away, open, with its contents spilling on the street.

“My soup!” Jungwoo yells.

The stranger gets up; long hair untied and jacket dirtied, trying to dust himself off with a groan. He looks at Jungwoo with squinted eyes.

The attention clearly unnerves the other. “What?” Jungwoo challenges.

“I’m getting my revenge, Jungwoo,” the nameless boy vows before walking away.

 Jungwoo lags at the threat. Huh?

“How the does he know my name!?” he shrieks.