Chapter 3

Happier than ever
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A few weeks passed…

 

Those weeks felt like years for Kyungwan. She wondered how she'd survive those ten years and if she'll still be alive till then as life has already become tasteless to her.

 

Suicide had crossed her mind more than once but something inside always stops her.

 

The girl was being abused for the last few days. They made her clean the bathroom every single day, wash the dishes and didn't allow her to eat her own food. As if she's the only criminal in the whole place.

 

She was accused of killing her coworker so they treated her harshly because of his niece, Hani.

 

Yard time is everyone’s favorite except Kyungwan's.

 

When she was walking around slowly, three girls suddenly pushed her to the nearest wall. They punched her in the stomach and face non-stop till her nose bled.

 

“Hey enough, her bruises from last time haven't healed yet”, one of the girls ordered. “Leave her alone”

 

Kyungwan spat some blood out of and sat down. She was about to wipe the blood on her face with her hand but a girl offered her a tissue, “Here you go”

 

Kyungwan stared at the girl with a frown on her face “what.. is there a drug in this or something?”

 

“No, no,” said the girl as she sat down next to Kyungwan.

 

“My name is Dahyun” the girl said and smiled innocently. Her skin was white as snow and her eyes looked soft and kind. Kyungwan wondered why she was in this place.

 

“I'm Kyungwan” she said, wiping her face with the tissue.

 

“So you share the same room as Hani? that girl is such an ” Dahyun said as she side-eyed Hani. "But she has no power in front of Haesok”

 

“Who?” Kyungwan asked confusingly.

 

“Kim Haesok,” Dahyun said as she pointed at her right, Kyungwan followed and looked in the direction.

 

She saw an old woman sitting on a bench surrounded by some other prisoners.

 

“She's the oldest prisoner here, she stays in room one. Everyone fears and respects her, including the guards."

 

As Dahyun spoke, Kyungwan noticed how a guard approached the woman and offered some snacks that she gladly accepted.

 

Kyungwan understood that the woman had some authority even while being a prisoner.

 

“Why is she here though? If she's that powerful” Kyungwan asked curiously.

 

“A guy she worked with had betrayed her or something. She's been here for a few years, she'll be discharged after a few months though”

 

Kyungwan nodded.

 

“If you get close to her no one will ever hurt you, so work on that", Dahyun patted Kyungwan’s shoulder and got up.

 

The latter stared at Haesok and sighed before getting up to go back to her room.

~~

 

The Next day

 

Kyungwan was preparing her towel for the shower when she eavesdropped on two girls talking.

 

“We'll attack her today, right?” one of the girls whispered. They didn’t know that Kyungwan was standing behind a wall in the room, listening to them.

 

“Killing the great Haesok will benefit a lot of people outside” the other replied.

 

Kyungwan knew that this might be her chance. This wasn't a coincidence, she knew she had heard the conversation for a purpose.

 

The shower room was foggy because of the hot water, everyone was enjoying their shower and leaving one by one while Kyungwan was looking around for someone.

 

Her eyes caught Haesok who was sitting on a small chair and washing her shampooed hair. Haesok didn’t notice the girl who approached her from behind while holding a towel, ready to choke her.

 

But the girl was stopped by Kyungwan who quickly pinned her to the nearest wall but the latter was weaker so she was pushed to the ground. Haesok noticed the mess and got up.

 

“What are you doing?!” She yelled at Kyungwan who was pointing at a girl behind the older woman.

 

Haesok turned around and was attacked. Kyungwan slowly got up and ran to help her.

 

“Who sent you?” Haesok asked as she managed to pin the girl to the porcelain wall.

 

Kyungwan was shocked by the older’s action, she was definitely an experienced fighter.

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” the police officer yelled, she was ready to arrest Kyungwan but was stopped by Haesok who just raised her hand to stop her.

 

Kyungwan felt a burning sensation on her arm so she held her left elbow to check it. She frowned when she saw that it was bleeding from the fall.

 

“Take her to the nurse, she hurt herself while trying to protect me” Haesok ordered after seeing her arm.

 

“Protect you from whom ma’am?” the officer asked politely.

 

“From this girl” Haesok looked at the other girl then back at the officer.

 

“I already know who sent her, I will deal with it later. Now my priority is to give this girl a bonus” she added while patting Kyungwan’s back, who smiled and bowed to Haesok as she left the bathroom.

 

“Who is she?” Haesok asked an officer, “Where does she stay?”

 

“Her name is Yoo Kyungwan, she stays in room 50-C”

 

Haesok hummed and smiled softly “Yoo Kyungwan… Let’s see your backstory”

 

~~

 

After being treated for her arm, Kyungwan was sitting alone in the yard. As always staring blankly at the prisoners who were, unlike her, enjoying their free time.

 

Haesok sat down next to the younger girl who bowed politely. “How's your arm?” the older asked.

 

“It's fine, just a small wound. No big deal”

 

Haesok hummed, her eyes staring right into Kyungwan’s sad ones, "So, why are you here young girl. You don’t look like a criminal to me”

 

Kyungwan sighed “That's because I'm not, I was framed” she paused for a few seconds,"Apparently I had robbed a bank and killed my colleague” she said and sighed.

 

“Oh, so who really did it?”

 

Kyungwan frowned, her sad eyes now showing anger “A girl…some girl I had a one-night stand with. She planned everything, her name is Myoui Mina… that , I won't ever forget her face and what she did to me”

 

Haesok nodded, “Are you interested in revenge?”

 

Kyungwan widened her eyes “Me? From here? How? I'm an orphan. I have no one outside who can help me”

 

Haesok laughed at the innocent girl and patted her shoulder. “Prepare your stuff, you will be transferred to my room”

 

“Eh?”

 

Kyungwan couldn’t even reply, Haesok had already talked to the officers about the transfer without waiting for her answer.

 

~~

 

Kyungwan held a box that had her stuff in it and walked into t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter