Chapter One

Sealed in Ink

The library was quieter than usual that afternoon. The old people seemed closer to death and the books seemed closer to dust than the day before. It was odd, since that day was a beautiful spring day. Outside the silent library, birds were chirping and kids were fooling around with each other, savoring each and every moment of Saturday.

 

And then there was Howon, stuck in the library, as usual. Ever since he was a child, Howon spent most of his days in the cavernous, dusty building. As he grew up, there was not much to do except read. So he did. Now, he was sixteen years old and he’d read books from nearly every shelf in the library. Not many books that managed to catch his attention were left. There was on series he had discovered the previous summer that he was still reading, though.

 

The Infinite series by L was that series. L wasn’t an instantaneously popular writer, and his books weren’t famous like the Harry Potter series of Twilight saga yet, but he was gradually getting more and more well known. Howon wondered what went on in the mind of an author who wrote like such amazing novels.

 

Earlier that week, Howon managed to finally get his hands on the fourth book, Nothing’s Over, after finishing Before the Dawn months ago. However, he hadn’t had time to read much because school was getting in the way. Right now, Howon was cramming a bunch of equations and formulas in his brain, trying to prepare for a test on Wednesday.

 

Contrary to the beliefs of most of his classmates, Howon wasn’t really smart. He barely scraped by the years with C’s and maybe a B once in a while. They only saw him as a nerd because he was always carrying novels and he was never really interested in anything else besides those novels. He wasn’t very popular either, which added the the “nerd” theory. In reality, Howon struggled to keep his grades up just like the rest of them. The only thing he was good at was reading quickly. Howon sighed at the thought that his only skill was almost completely useless. I’m such an idiot.

 

Before he knew it, it was almost five o’ clock, and he’d wasted another day trying to study and ultimately being unsuccessful. He still didn’t understand math at all. Howon slammed his math book closed, frustrated at his own stupidity. No one was there to mind the loud noise. He gathered his things and stuffed them in his purple backpack, not forgetting to grab Nothing’s Over, too.

 

Minutes later, he was on the stupid green bus he rode every day to get home. It was filled with people, but he was lucky enough to get a seat. He opened his novel to where he’d left off a few days ago and started reading again.

 

In short, the Infinite series was about Sungyeol, a seemingly normal person, who discovers that there is an alternate universe where supernatural versions of everyone and everything existed. Some of those supernatural beings get into the “real” universe where Sungyeol lives and wreak havoc. One of Sungyeol’s closest friends, Woohyun, is killed by his supernatural version, who assumes his identity. The evil Woohyun is the gender-changing, vampire leader of a trouble-making group of creatures who find messing with and killing humans entertaining.

 

Yes, Woohyun was a vampire, but the only vampire in the whole series so far, and no, the plot was nothing like Twilight. Oh, and yes, Woohyun could change his/her gender when he/she feels like it. Woohyun liked to be a boy to avoid that one week of the month that’s a pain in the uterus, but he/she was known to have a preference for men. Woohyun was very conflicted about which gender to be and switched back and forth often.

 

Hoya, who was some sort of creature that was similar to a werewolf, was a minor character. Hoya was a good guy, even though he can’t help but cause death. For a time, Hoya was hiding from Woohyun on Earth, which is why Woohyun came into that universe in the first place. At the time, Hoya was in his dog form, and Sungyeol took him in as a pet.

 

Howon liked Hoya for several reasons. The first was that they both had the “Ho” syllable in their name. Howon was biased towards anyone with a similar name to his own. Another reason why Howon liked that character was because he was a canine. Howon was a dog person, and didn’t like felines too much, probably because of an incident that occurred between him and a black kitten earlier in his life.

 

In Before the Dawn, Woohyun had taken Hoya to an unknown location, where his gang were hiding out. Myungsoo, a telepathic who used to be part of that group, joined Sungyeol’s side for unknown reasons, making everyone suspicious of his actions. Now, in Nothing’s Over, Sungyeol and Myungsoo are hunting down Woohyun, but have so far failed in finding even just a hint to whereabouts.

 

Time was passing way too quickly for Howon’s liking. The bus reached his stop already. He got off with a whole flood of people, who went their separate ways once they were free from the crowded vehicle. Howon continued to read while walking the rest of the way home. He didn’t need to look up; he walked home so often, he practically knew exactly how many steps to take in each direction. He didn’t need to worry about bumping into people either, because of course they’d all move.

 

But then Howon found himself on the cold, hard sidewalk, rubbing the back of his head. “Ouch...” Someone had run right into him, knocking him to the ground and making him drop his book, too.

 

“Oh my God, sorry!” Howon was somewhat surprised at the stranger’s deep voice. The male helped Howon up and picked up his book. “I should’ve watched where I was going.”

 

Howon dusted himself off. “No, I shouldn’t read while walking. It’s not your fault that I’m an idiot.” He noted that the stranger was probably not too much older than himself.

 

“Hey, you’re not an idiot.” The stranger frowned. “Don’t look down on yourself like that.”

 

“Whatever. May I have my book back?”

 

The stranger skimmed the back cover before handing it back to it’s owner.“Not many people know about L. You read his books?”

 

Howon’s eyes widened in surprise. “Yeah.”

 

The stranger smiled a goofy smile. “The name’s Jang Dongwoo. I’ve spent a long time trying to find you.” Then, he ran off, laughing.

 

“Wait, what?” Howon said as Dongwoo dashed past him.

 

Dongwoo kept running, but shouted back, “I’ll try to find you some other time! Bye for now!”

 

Howon became more confused. He stood there a few seconds before remembering that he had to get home. He ran in the opposite direction from where Dongwoo went until he reached his house. By the time he got there, he had forgotten about the other boy.

 

The house was empty, as it was most the day. Howon’s parents rarely came home before midnight. The sixteen-year-old threw his bag somewhere in his room and left his book on his bed before going into the kitchen making himself a meal. In other words, he reheated some food his mother left on the table. It was absolutely silent as he ate, just like it was in the library.

 

After washing the dishes, Howon went into his room, and collapsed on his bed. He his lamp and sat up, leaning against the backboard of his bed. He found his place in Nothing’s Over and read some more. Howon reached for a water bottle on his bed and drank in big gulps.

 

He almost choked when he saw the name Jang Dongwoo. His eyes opened up as wide as they could. He couldn’t swallow. He read the rest of the line.

 

“The name’s Jang Dongwoo. I’ve spent a long time trying to find you.”

 

Then, he really did choke.

 

[Sealed in Ink | s-elfish]

 

a/n: ADGhakjhjaHGkjahgadkgashdGuHGS WHERE DID ALL OF YOU GUYS COME FROM? Do you know how much of a panic attack I have when I update? Well, it gets pretty bad. The more subscribers, the worse. Same thing happens when I see new story comments. You guys are going to make my heart explode and kill me or something.
...I’m sorry. I really love you all. Thanks for reading! <3 I like comments, too. It just gives me a little mini-heart attack, because I never expect anyone to comment on my stories.  I'll try to make this a good story for you all. Feel free to comment, subscribe, stalk my blog posts, and talk to me if you wanna~ ^_______^