to win or loose

every time you look away i stare at you

Jaehyun is sweating in this heat and he hates it. He's shooting for Running Man today and his day hasn’t been the best.

He had been ecstatic when his manager has told him, he would get to air on RM next week. He hadn't had a gig in a while and wanted to enjoy himself. He had been over the moon when he found out Jennie would also be shooting for the same episode as him. He had learned more about her from a naïve Seulgi who readily told him more about Jennie when he showed interest innocently. Now, all he wanted was a chance to strike up a conversation. He wanted a chance where he could look at her without hiding.

However, on the day of the shooting, he felt nothing but irritation. He hadn't seen Jennie after the initial introduction and it looked like he wouldn’t see her for a while longer. She had been sent on a different mission to him, with a completely different set of members.

Normally, Jaehyun wouldn't be this focused but the heat was getting to his head. He felt thirsty and miserable as he waited for Jennie and her late team members to show up so they could continue their shoot. The only reassuring thing was Mark, who he has instructed to strike up a friendship with Jennie. It had gotten him a weird look, but Mark had thrown a hasty nod his way which meant he would try his best. This also meant Jaehyun now had a link to further his relationship or well lack of one with Jennie.

His heart stutters a bit when he sees that the other team has arrived while he was lost in thought. He looks around to catch a sight of her when --

He sees her. Like the last time he saw her, her face is flushed. However, this time instead of the rosy glow, he sees her exhaustion and her weariness. She is tightly clutching her water bottle and is fanning herself with her hands. Her breath is coming out in short gasps and he remembers what Seulgi said about her losing energy quickly. He feels a frown slowly climbing up his face. He doesn't like to see her and knows she probably tried to do the missions with the utmost sincerity, wanting to show her charms in variety shows but he wishes it wasn't at her expense.

He tears his gaze away from her then just as Jennie gazes towards him. They miss each other's glance once again.

Jennie is flustered when she realizes that Jaehyun is standing near her looking as relaxed as ever. Her stomach churns when she thinks about how disastrous she must look right now. Sweaty and breathing erratically, she must look like a sight for sore eyes. She cringes and moves to cover herself from his view just behind Mino's form. Her mind is whirring from all sorts of thoughts, but most importantly how bad this day has gone for her.

She had been so excited, butterflies fluttering in her stomach, her chest tight with nervousness and giddiness when she realized she would get to spend the day shooting with Jaehyun. She knew of course she probably wouldn’t get to talk to him, but she had hopes that maybe, just maybe she could interact with him. Maybe she wouldn't have to peep at him like a lovestruck teenager. A dejected sigh escaped her lips as she peeped from behind Mino's shoulder. He looked mad now, and she felt herself wincing.

The day was hot and sultry. The energy that everyone had possessed at the beginning had significantly fallen due to the dreadful weather. She watched as Jaehyun wiped the sweat from his forehead and bit her lips. He was probably mad about having to wait for the team out in the sun. The reason for their lateness was her fault, to ensure she would be in the same team as him, she had gone overboard. She had wanted to be in his team, next to him, playing and enjoying her one gig she had managed to get. Her team had played hide and seek, with the rules stating whoever managed to say hidden for longest would get to swap teams and join Jaehyun. Err, Jaehyun's team.

Well, to join the team she had hid successfully. Her spot was so well hidden, no one from the cast members, from the PD to the cameramen were able to find her. Instead, she had suffered outside waiting for someone to fetch her unaware the game had ended.

When the game had finally finished, Jennie had never felt so relieved that is until the PD made an announcement.

Jennie would have been on his team, Jaehyun thinks with a groan if the games hadn't suddenly been changed to adjust to the weather. This just day kept on getting worse.

Jennie was sure she couldn't stop the pout forming on her face as she learns after all her hard work she will not be on his team as everyone would be playing for themselves.

The game they will be playing is the Picture Frame Game. This requires the individual to stay in the frame while the photo is being taken to win the game.

Jennie thinks that she won't be able to give all her energy in this game until she perks up at the offer of peach bingsu. Jaehyun notices her perk up and knows what he must do. Ensure she is in the frame no matter what. Jennie, in turn, notices Jaehyun's interest and concludes that she must make sure he wins.

And so the game starts, Jennie placed strategically in the middle of the elevated surface, pushing everyone but Jaehyun away as she attempts to pose. Similarly, Jaehyun attacks from the back keeping everyone away from Jennie, pushing and pulling to let her be the only one in the frame.

Jennie doesn't know how to keep Jaehyun in the frame without being too obvious, she has already won a few rounds and she fears she may end up winning. She watches as he laughs with Mark, running a hand through his hair, and can't help get mad at herself. So, when the next round starts, she stops pushing and lets herself be thrown off the surface when he reaches closer to the camera. He looks startled in every photo he's in the frame. Jennie finds herself smiling.

Jaehyun on the other hand is frustrated because his plan is failing. Jennie has lost the last few rounds and although she doesn't look disappointed, he can't forget how she perked up earlier. So, he keeps thinking and keeps trying to let stop her from leaving the game.

The game ends with Jaehyun winning the peach bingsu without feeling like a winner.

Jennie looks towards Jaehyun and sees him celebrating, a cheery grin on his face. Jennie feels her heart lighten as she looks at his excitement. She almost forgets about her aching body that resulted from being thrown off the platform. She didn't think she could do it but letting him clear everyone off the platform before sneakily getting herself thrown off had guaranteed his win. She even mustered a cheeky smile when Mino came beside her to mutter "I know what you did". She threw a wink at him and gazed back at Jaehyun.

Jennie turns her head as Jihyo offers a towel and Jaehyun is once again left unaware.

Mark and later joined by Mino are crowding him, jumping in excitement but he can't manage the same. His gaze is still on her, as she drys her hair when he offers Mino bingsu. To share with his friend, of course, Peach bingsu doesn't taste good to eat by oneself. Mino catches his gaze, smiles knowingly, and agrees. He watches Mino head off with the bingsu towards Jennie but turns when he hears Mark complain.

He misses her gaze again.