look my way as i look away

every time you look away i stare at you

She's talking to her friends, trying so very hard to ignore his presence. And she's struggling. She's on a stage attempting to mingle and pretend she is as cool and calm as she looks on the outside.
He's standing with his group members; sparkling eyes and lips quirked up in a playful smile. He looks so good today that Jennie feels as though her eyes will not leave his figure. His hair falls to his eyes and it makes him look even more endearing. Today, he's wearing a pink suit that she would usually scrunch up her nose at. However, watching him stand tall and confident, she can't help but admire him. She pulls her eyes away again, unwilling to give herself away. Her eyes only manage to stay away for two minutes before they move towards him again. He still hasn’t noticed her, hasn't even spared a glance in her direction. Jennie can feel the disappointment creeping up, ready to ruin the rest of her night. And yet, her eyes keep on darting back and forth, unable to stay fixed on an energetic Seulgi chattering on, and unable to stay still on the handsome figure so close yet far from her.

However, Jisoo is starting to shoot her sly looks now and Jennie can feel her expression turn sheepish. She could never hide anything from Jisoo; who was practically her sister in everything but blood. That girl knew her better than she knew herself, so she wasn't surprised when Jisoo, suddenly moved to block her vision.

"Jisoo, please don't!" Jennie groaned, but it was in vain. Jisoo was already puckering up her lips and moving towards her, pretending to pepper her cheeks with little kisses. Jennie tried to move away, her hands flailing and head turned away from the menace. Lisa and Seulgi were quietly giggling to themselves, watching the two mess about while Chaeyoung was sporting a look of bewilderment. Jennie felt her face flush at Chaeyoung's s expression as she abruptly stopped, causing Jisoo to be thrown towards her, lips pressed firmly against Jennie's plump cheek.

Jennie felt even more embarrassed as she noticed the camera that had managed to capture the moment, flashing her and Jisoo snuggled up for all of the idols and audience present to see. Jennie pulls on her Ice girl persona again, feeling immensely awkward as the audience gives an impressed gasp at her sudden change in demeanor. Unwittingly, her eyes fly towards him again but once again he isn't watching.

 

~
Jaehyun finds himself awestruck the moment she walks on stage behind the Winner guys. She has her arm looped around one of her group members; the red-haired girl whose name he thinks is Jisoo. Jennie seems to be glowing, as she chats with the girls, smoothing down her skirt. He looks at her checkered and pink outfit combo and can't help but marvel at how they match. He feels as though it was meant to be. His lips pull into a smile as he watches her smile at her friend; her gummy smile on display and her right eye squinting shut. He has everything about her memorized. From the way she clutches at her fingers when she's nervous to the startled laugh, she lets out when she's feeling awkward. He knows she likes to roll her eyes when her contacts bother her and he knows she has a special heart arrow she throws towards her fans. Hell, he even knows her fandom's name. Why wouldn't he? When he is her biggest fan.

He's pulled out of his thoughts when he feels a nudge against his side. He looks up to see Mark looking at his eyes full of questions. He shakes his head and focuses back on Taeyong's word. Taeyong is extra worried today, he wants everything to go smoothly. He wants to let everyone know NCT is a group worth liking and this award show tonight is the perfect opportunity. Jaehyun is nodding along, agreeing to Taeyong's words but his eyes still drift towards her. She looks a bit restless, listening to Seulgi yet her gaze seems unfocused. He guesses she's nervous. Her cheeks are slightly puffing up like they do when she's dazed and nervous. He can't help but smile again. Another nudge jolts him back to reality.

His eyes fall on her quite a lot of times for the next few minutes. He's scared of getting caught but his eyes seem to have a mind of their own, they keep reaching towards her like magnets. Yuta is aware now. Why wouldn't he be when Jaehyun is being so stupidly obvious?
Jaehyun knows he's doomed and won't be able to hear the end of this. However, she still hadn't noticed. She has never noticed until now. Never seen the way he looks at her.

He feels a nudge again and looks at Yuta again ready to explain that he hadn't been looking, to see him subtly point towards the monitor. Jennie was flushed against Jisoo, her cheeks a lovely shade of pink, with a shy smile adorning her lips. Jisoo had her lips pressed against her cheeks and Jennie's arms flail about. They're pressed against each other and Jaehyun knows he probably has stars in his eyes. He watches intently as Jennie gets even shyer before suddenly realizing she's been caught by the camera. He quickly turns towards her then, just in time to see her cute face turn into her charismatic one.

He quickly turns his head around as the camera starts moving, he doesn’t want to be caught staring.