Chapter Six

For The Reason That

“Would you like to bring the book with you, Your Royal Highness?” Hyeon asks. 

 

Seokjin closes the book, handing it to the servant. “Yes, please. Would you please pack it?” Today was the day of the hunting trip. Seokjin finds himself, for the most part, giddy for the trip. He’s looking forward to riding on Caramel and breathing in the fresh outdoor air. Not to mention, Prince Taehyung.

 

Even though at first, Seokjin was a bit disappointed knowing that others would join them, surely, it wouldn’t be such a big deal. Everyone knows that he and Prince Taehyung are wedded. They’ll understand if the couple spends time alone.

 

Seokjin tightens the cloth around his forehead, keeping any stray hair away. He loops the bow behind his back, along with the arrows. Seokjin, despite not practicing often, is a master at archery. He knows sword fighting as well. 

 

Since arriving at the Northern Kingdom, has not done any though. You could say, he felt a bit shy to try these things. The Northerners valued these skills highly, each individual whose able is greatly skilled at these sports.

 

Seokjin makes his way to where the hunting party is to meet. On the way there, he runs into Prince Taehyung. Seokjin bows his head, “Good morning, Your Royal Highness.”

 

“As to you, Prince Seokjin,” Prince Taehyung greets back. Together, the couple makes their way to the meeting spot. All the while, making conversation about the weather and the economy.

 

“We’ve just sent Lord Lim to make acquaintance with the Gorchik Kingdom,” Prince Taehyung updates him. They arrive at where the horses and others are waiting. “If all goes well, we’ll then be acquainted with the kingdom known for the best silks in the world.”

 

“That’s pleasant news…” Seokjin notices a familiar horse away. The horse that is darker than the night. He pushes the thought away. There are many horses in this kingdom. Surely, it can’t be who he thinks it is.

 

“Good morning, Prince Taehyung and Prince Seokjin,” the King greets them.

 

“Good morning, Your Majesty,” the couple greets back. 

 

“Glad to have you join us, Prince Seokjin. If you find it tiring on your horse anytime, feel free to rest in the carriage,” the King tells him. 

 

“Thank you for the offer, Your Majesty,” Seokjin smiles politely. He plans to just ride on Caramel though. Knowing that Prince Taehyung will be riding his horse, he wants to be by his side.

 

Prince Taehyung gets on his white horse who is next to Caramel. Seokjin gets on his horse, happy that the servants even put their horses next to each other. As they do one more check on their inventory, Seokjin keeps his eyes on the ownerless black horse that closely resembles Jungkook’s Noir. 

 

One of the court officials, Lord Lee gets on the horse, proving Seokjin wrong. With all the horses now having a rider and the bags loaded, the gates to the outside open. Prince Taehyung rides his horse close to the carriage, Seokjin following suit. 

 

“Where shall we head, Your Majesty?” Prince Taehyung queries, looking into the window of the carriage. Before the King could answer, the people in front of them stop their horses bringing them to a stop as well. 

 

Seokjin tries to see what caused them to stop but to no avail as there are many other Lords and men with them. However, he can see the horses make way as someone weaves through. 

 

As if expecting this, the King opens the carriage door as the man bows down on one knee in front of him. Seokjin can’t see his face as he has his back turned to him and Prince Taehyung. “The north is bringing in gray clouds, Your Majesty. It’ll rain tonight even if we run south.”

 

Seokjin recognizes the voice right away. Prince Taehyung joins in, “Let’s move west where Lord Wang’s palace is. We’ll be able to get cover from the rain then.” 

 

The King nods, “I agree. Lead the way, Jungkook.” 

 

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Jungkook stands up, heading to the front. Seokjin watches him go. He wasn’t expecting Jungkook to come with them for the trip since he usually skips out on everything. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin stifles a yawn, blinking and trying to shoo the sleepiness away. They’ve been on their horses for well over three hours now. At first, Seokjin was filled with excitement. Eyes wide and taking in all the new surroundings. However, the scenery has not changed for two hours now. 

 

He wishes to converse with Prince Taehyung but the crown prince is busy conversing with the King and Lords instead. Seokjin joined in a couple of times but stopped when the conversation steered towards politics, something he’s heard well over by now. 

 

After an hour, the group rest at a stream for the horses. Seokjin leads Caramel to a clearer part of the stream, talking to the horse as he drinks the water. “You must be exhausted. Almost draining this whole stream,” Seokjin notes fondly as the horse continues slurping. 

 

“What about you, Your Royal Highness?” Seokjin turns to see Jungkook with Noir by his side. He brings Noir to the stream, standing by Seokjin. 

 

“I’m doing fine. After all, the horses are the ones walking. Meanwhile, we just sit on them,” Seokjin says, brushing Caramel’s mane. He looks out of the corner of his eyes, searching for Prince Taehyung. 

 

“Maybe too comfortable. It seems that you were dozing off back there,” Jungkook comments.

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen and he snaps his head towards Jungkook. “No, I wasn’t,” he says quickly, meeting that mischievous glint in Jungkook’s eyes. “You’re just spewing lies. It’s not like you were even able to see me.”

 

Seokjin’s eyes trail back to the carriage where Prince Taehyung is back with his white horse. “I’ll be going now, Your Highness,” Seokjin tells Jungkook. Hurriedly, he gets on Caramel and goes back to the crown prince.

 

~~~~

 

“This wasn’t how you imagined it to be, was it?” Prince Taehyung asks Seokjin, gaining his attention. “A hunting trip that just consisted of riding on horses all day,” he chuckles. 

 

Seokjin smiles, shaking his head, “True, it wasn’t what I imagined but I’m not concerned. Tomorrow when the rain shower has passed, then it will be a hunting trip.” As if on time, Seokjin feels a drop of rain on his face. 

 

“Hopefully, this is the last of the rain,” Prince Taehyung says, noticing as the drizzle starts. 

 

The group continues ahead, faster as the rain continues pouring. They reach Lord Wang’s palace, damp from the rain. The horses are brought away to the Lord’s stables. Lord Wang comes to greet them, showing them in quickly. 

 

“My, what a surprise the sky had today. Thank the heavens you reached my palace in time before the dirt roads start to soften,” Lord Wang tells them laughing. The King and court officials laugh as well but Seokjin doesn’t. That sounds like a serious matter. If the ground starts to become unstable and mushy, then the horses’ feet will start to sink into it. 

 

Servants bring dry towels to them. Seokjin takes one and gently, pats the dripping droplets on Prince Taehyung’s face who was paying attention to the King and Lord’s conversation. 

 

Prince Taehyung turns to him, and with a brief smile, “Thank you, Prince Seokjin.” 

 

Seokjin smiles back, feeling bliss at the attention. When he finishes drying Prince Taehyung, he looks for a servant to take away the towel. Instead, his eyes land on Jungkook who turns his head away.

 

After a servant comes to Lord Wang, the Lord turns to them, “Dinner is to be served. After, I’ll have each of you shown to your accommodations.” Seokjin beams at the mention of dinner. They only had a rushed lunch, not wanting the rain to make any difficulties for them. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin sits up, giving up on falling asleep. He looks over to the side of the bed where his husband is missing. After dinner, Lord Wang suggested a game among the guests. Seokjin was not in the mood for playing a game but Prince Taehyung was.

 

Despite saying that he wanted to play as well, Prince Taehyung had told him to go rest and that the game was to go on for a long time. Of course, Seokjin obeyed him. However, he now found himself wide awake with nothing to do.

 

Hesitantly, Seokjin lits a lantern for himself. He cracks the door open after hearing no footsteps near. With no one in sight, Seokjin steps out of the room. He isn’t sure what he wants to do but he lets his feet lead him.

 

Seokjin comes to the end of the hall where he sees light coming out. He peeks in and his eyes light up. The room was filled with musical instruments of all sorts. His eyes land on a beautiful gayageum, closely resembling his back at the Imperial Palace.

 

A servant finishes wiping down one of the instruments, grabbing her lantern, and heading to the door. Seokjin steps back, hiding behind a pole as she comes out. She starts locking the door and Seokjin sighs. 

 

He was looking forward to playing the gayageum but if she locks it, how will he get in? Then, he remembers his title. Stepping out from the pole, Seokjin clears his throat, making the servant flinch. 

 

“Your Royal Highness,” she bows. 

 

“May I go in?” Seokjin asks with a soft voice and handsome smile. 

 

She blushes, “Of course. Let me just go inform His Excellency first.” 

 

She turns to head for Lord Wang but Seokjin speaks, “Do you not trust me?” He didn’t want her to tell him because to do so, she’ll have to go to where he is playing his game with Prince Taehyung and the King. Seokjin doesn’t want them to judge him for not being a good prince and just sleeping. Instead, snooping uninvited. 

 

She bows again, “Of course not, Your Royal Highness.” With that, Seokjin manages to let her give him the keys, assuring her that he’ll lock up when done. 

 

Once gone, Seokjin enters the music room. He lets his eyes roam each instrument. Only does he let his fingers touch, when he reaches the gayageum. He hasn’t played the dear instrument in a while. 

 

He finds his fingers start plucking the strings even before he thinks of what melody to play. The melody is familiar, something he created himself. Seokjin lets his eyes close, letting his senses focus only on the music notes emitting from the gayageum. 

 

This is one of the songs he created for Prince Taehyung. Prince Taehyung’s face comes to his mind. He smiles and Seokjin feels his lips form a smile. But then his face fades away and instead comes the face of his lovely royal consort. Seokjin stops playing, eyes flying open.

 

The old wounds he once had starts to open up again and Seokjin can’t forget the memory of Prince Taehyung and his royal consort. 

 

“Did you forget the rest of the song?”

 

Seokjin looks up from the gayageum, following the source of the voice. He looks away as Jungkook walks closer to him. He sits down across from Seokjin, resting his face on his hand as he waits for Seokjin’s answer. 

 

“I didn’t forget,” Seokjin whispers without realizing it. “The song ends there. I didn’t finish making it…” Seokjin stares at the gayageum, not able to push away the memories of Prince Taehyung and the Royal Consort.

 

Seokjin had started working on this piece but upon the news of Prince Taehyung’s royal consort, had stopped, heartbroken. “You made the song?” Seokjin nods, not wanting to speak. “It sounds good, Jin.”

 

Seokjin raises his head, surprised at the name. Jungkook grabs an instrument nearby that Seokjin doesn’t recognize. “Yet, why does it sound so melancholy?” 

 

Seokjin’s stunned at his notice. “Melancholy sounds pleasant,” he states, flatly. 

 

Jungkook nods, “Yes, but,” he looks up and the corners of his mouth lift a bit. “If you’re feeling down, play a hopeful and buoyant song.” Then he puts his lips to the instrument, closes his eyes, and starts to play. 

 

Seokjin stares surprised that Jungkook could play an instrument. The instrument emits mellifluous notes, creating a pretty and serene melody. Jungkook’s fingers move swiftly against the holes of the foreign instrument. 

 

The view is somewhat satisfying. Seokjin never paid attention to Jungkook’s hands before. Only now does he pay attention to them. Veins throb against the skin, creating manly hands.

 

Seokjin’s eyes trail over to Jungkook’s face. Jungkook’s eyes are still closed but he moves his head slightly to the notes of the instrument. With no more icy or mischievous eyes staring back at Seokjin, he finally gets to examine his features. 

 

‘Although half-brother of Prince Taehyung, Jungkook doesn’t seem to share not even one characteristic from him,’ Seokjin thinks as he continues to stare. 

 

Jungkook’s eyes gently open as the tune comes to an end, and Seokjin feels heat rush to his face for staring so intensely. “What instrument is that?” Seokjin asks, ignoring his flustered self. 

 

Jungkook sets the instrument back to where it sat, “A hulusi flute. An instrument from overseas.” 

 

Seokjin’s taken aback. With how much Jungkook rejects the royal lifestyle, Seokjin didn’t take him for one to learn an instrument. Especially one from overseas. “You’re quite talented,” Seokjin compliments the young prince. 

 

Jungkook chuckles, “The song I played is one of the basic songs everyone learns to play when learning the hulusi. I stopped playing after four years.” 

 

“Why so?” Seokjin asks, somewhat sadden by the fact that Jungkook quitted. 

 

Jungkook shrugs, “I just didn’t feel like playing it anymore.”

 

“You should continue playing. It’s lovely…” Seokjin stops as he notices Jungkook’s doe eyes on him. “The music from the hulusi,” Seokjin finishes. 

 

Jungkook looks at the gayageum. “Play another song. This time, more bright and positive now that you heard my example,” Jungkook tells him.

 

Seokjin turns back to his gayageum. He won’t realize it until the next day but hearing Jungkook’s hulusi made him stop being crestfallen, along with playing for him. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin feels a small smile spread across his face as Caramel runs faster, allowing the wind to rush past his hair. Prince Taehyung is right ahead of him, leading the group to the largest forest in the Northern Kingdom. 

 

A wild boar is spotted on the outskirts of the forest as they near. Not waiting to get closer, Prince Taehyung takes out his bow and arrow, aiming for the boar as the horse runs closer. Everyone watches in anticipation as the crown prince takes his shot. He lets go of the arrow and misses by an inch, making the boar run off. 

 

“A little rusty, Prince Taehyung,” the King notes. Prince Taehyung laughs, along with the others. Seokjin laughs as well, happy to witness the crown prince’s laughter. “Would you like to show us your skills, Prince Seokjin?” 

 

Seokjin stops laughing, feeling the spotlight on him. However, he takes out his bow and arrow. “I may be quite rusty as well, Your Majesty.” This earns some chuckles which makes Seokjin less nervous. “However, I’ll try my best.” 

 

The boar that Prince Taehyung missed is still in view, now back to grazing the grass. Seokjin takes a deep breath before aiming at the animal. With his focus only on the wild boar, everything else seems to quiet and slow down. It’s not the pressure and pride that makes him want to hit the target but knowing that Prince Taehyung is watching. Then, he releases the arrow.

 

It hits the boar straight on and Seokjin can hear applaud.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin frowns at the sky which was gathering storm clouds. He’s having a swell time with this hunting trip, earning some impressive kills. He doesn’t want to return just yet. Seokjin could hear one of the court officials suggest they go back before the storm strikes. 

 

Just as he was about to leave, Seokjin spots a deer. ‘One more,’ he thinks to himself as he starts to aim. His focus is all on the oblivion creature when a hand pushes his bow down.

 

Seokjin turns to the newcomer, confused and slightly irritated. “It’s time to head back now,” Jungkook tells him as if he didn’t already know. 

 

“I heard that’s why I was about to get one more…” Seokjin turns back to the deer that was now nowhere to be in sight. “Where did it go?” Seokjin wonders out loud, standing up and searching for it. 

 

“It ran off,” Jungkook says. “Come on, let’s go.” Big raindrops were starting to fall. Seokjin glances around them. How did the deer disappear so fast and even if it did run off, Seokjin would have heard some noise. 

 

“How was it able to run off so fast?” Seokjin voices, walking further into the forest, eyes scanning the area. 

 

Jungkook follows after him. “Maybe because it’s a deer and deers are fast,” Jungkook suggests sarcastically. He wipes his forehead which is useless as more rain falls. 

 

Seokjin shushes him upon seeing the deer. He turns to Jungkook, “See, it’s right there.” He takes out an arrow, aiming. 

 

“Wait,” Jungkook pushes down his bow for the second time, making Seokjin pout. He turns to Jungkook, irritated but Jungkook isn’t looking at him. He’s watching the deer. “Don’t shoot it, dummy,” Jungkook whispers. 

 

Seokjin scrunches his face at the name, “Why not?”

 

Jungkook turns towards him, taking the bow out of his hands. “It’s the rarest deer around here. Said to bring good luck and fortune. If you kill it, there’ll be no more of its kind and no more good fortune.” 

 

“Oh…” Seokjin feels guilt weighing on him now. 

 

“Let’s hurry back,” Jungkook says, leading the way. Seokjin takes one more glance at the deer which is not even there anymore before following Jungkook.

 

“I can carry my own bow,” Seokjin tells him but Jungkook continues forward with the bow. “Or are you keeping it because you don’t think I can keep myself from hunting?” 

 

“Yes, exactly that,” Jungkook replies to which Seokjin gets gravely offended.

 

“I don’t…” Seokjin stops speaking as Jungkook stops walking. Standing six yards from them was a tiger. 

 

“Jin,” Jungkook whispers. “Slowly, walk back.” He’s completely frozen, eyes on the tiger whose eyes are on them. Seokjin takes a few steps back but stops when he notices Jungkook who has not moved a single step. “Why did you stop?” Jungkook whispers softer as the tiger takes a step towards them. 

 

“Why aren’t you coming with me?” Seokjin asks, unease filling his stomach as the rain drips down harder and the tiger moves closer. 

 

“We can’t outrun this thing,” Jungkook tells him, voice barely audible. “So go, I’ll hold it back.” Seokjin can’t believe what he’s suggesting. 

 

“No,” he stubbornly says, noticing as the tiger stops. 

 

“Jin,” Jungkook whispers sharply. 

 

“I’m not leaving you,” Seokjin whispers, surprised his voice is not shaking. His fear-filled eyes meet the creature of that cause. The tiger’s eyes gleam and Jungkook turns around. He grabs Seokjin’s hand and the both of them run. 

 

The forest floor is mushy and slippery, causing Seokjin to almost slip multiple times. Despite the loud rain, Seokjin could hear the tiger right behind them, coming closer with each breath Seokjin takes. 

 

Seokjin frantically searches for any people around that could help them. Frantically searches for an opening but finding absolutely none. All the trees and plants look the same as if to make life harder for them. 

 

Jungkook almost falls forward but Seokjin pulls him upright. “Are you-“ 

 

“I’m fine,” Jungkook changes direction, tugging him. Seokjin could hear the tiger growling. “Hold my hand tightly!” Jungkook yells as he speeds up. Seokjin tightens his hand which was starting to slip because of the rain. 

 

Seokjin chews on his lips, trying to think of a plan. Jungkook is right. They can’t outrun a tiger. His eyes flit over to Jungkook whose jaw is clenched, icy eyes forward. Then, Seokjin sees that deer. The deer from earlier. 

 

It raises its head from the plant it was grazing. ‘It’s the rarest deer around here. Said to bring good luck and fortune,’ Seokjin recalls Jungkook’s words from earlier. Seokjin pulls Jungkook towards the deer. “Seokjin, what are you-“ 

 

“Just follow me!” Seokjin yells as he follows the deer which was getting farther and farther away. They continue running and Seokjin’s legs are about to give out when Jungkook pulls him to a stop. 

 

“It’s,” Jungkook breathes heavily. “Not chasing us anymore.” Seokjin looks around them and sure enough, the tiger is gone. However, the rain isn’t. Instead, seems to get more violent. “Let’s take cover in there,” Jungkook points to a cave. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin rips off a big leaf, folding it into a cone then holding it out to the rain. It doesn’t take long for the cone to fill up as heavy droplets fall. He gulps all of it down before refilling. Then he steps back inside the cave, going to where Jungkook is. 

 

Jungkook is sitting on a slab of stone in the cave, wringing his clothes. “Drink some water,” Seokjin says, handing the cone leaf to him. Jungkook takes it, drinking like he hasn’t tasted water in years. 

 

Seokjin sits beside him, feeling the ache in his feet from running and his chest from heavily breathing. Seokjin lets his eyes flutter close, feeling drained from the chase. His eyelids stay close as he regains control of his breathing. 

 

He hears Jungkook stand up and lets his eyes open. Immediately, Seokjin stands up as well. “You’re injured!”

 

Jungkook turns around at his voice, startled. He must’ve thought Seokjin fell asleep. “I’m fine. It’s just a small scratch,” Jungkook says, brushing off Seokjin’s worried eyes. Seokjin doesn’t believe him, stepping closer to expect the wound but Jungkook just steps back. “It’s nothing to worry about,” Jungkook insists.

 

Seokjin ignores him. “Turn around,” he demands with stern eyes. Jungkook, apprehensively, does as he says. Seokjin’s lips part in shock when he sees the scratch on Jungkook’s back, blood painting his clothes. 

 

Seokjin’s brought back to when they were running from the tiger and when Jungkook fell forward. He should’ve known that Jungkook got hurt then. How was he able to continue running so fast despite being injured?

 

“Sit down and take off your shirt. I’ll treat it,” Seokjin tells him, guilt-ridden.

 

“You know medicine?” Jungkook asks as he undoes his shirt. 

 

“Not much…” Seokjin now regrets not learning more about it. “But enough to help.” Jungkook throws his shirt to the side and sits down, back facing Seokjin. Seokjin examines the wound.

 

Although it looked bad at first, up close it’s not so bad. Like Jungkook says, it was just a scratch. Not too deep. “Thank the heavens,” Seokjin whispers, sighing. 

 

“What did I tell you?” Jungkook looks over his shoulder, “Only a scratch. You didn’t need to worry.” 

 

“It could get infected,” Seokjin chides half-heartedly. As long as Jungkook is okay.

 

~~~~

 

Jungkook hisses as the herbs make contact with the wound, moving away from Seokjin. “Sorry but try to stay still,” Seokjin tells him softly. Seokjin had managed to find some herbs that ease the pain. However, he isn’t sure if it’ll exactly help the scratch heal.

 

“I’ll try,” Jungkook says almost as softly back. He scoots back to Seokjin, sitting straight, his back muscles tense. As Seokjin’s fingertips make contact with his back, his back muscles ripples, not used to the cold fingers. 

 

“Try to relax,” Seokjin advises as to which Jungkook does so. Carefully, Seokjin starts to apply the grounded herbs to the wound. This time, Jungkook doesn’t move as much. The rain echoes into the cave, not looking like it’ll stop anytime soon. 

 

“Why didn’t you go when I told you to?” Jungkook asks as Seokjin continues applying the herb. 

 

Seokjin momentarily stops, “How could I let you be the martyr?”  

 

“Who said I was going to let myself get killed?” Jungkook questions. “I only said I’ll hold it back,” Jungkook recalls. “And I think I could’ve.”

 

Seokjin scoffs, pushing Jungkook’s back lightly. “As if you could beat a tiger.” He goes back to applying the herb when Jungkook suddenly turns around, almost making their foreheads bump.

 

“Don’t do that again,” Jungkook tells Seokjin in a small voice, yet authoritative tone. “Don’t risk your life for me.” 

 

Seokjin meets his dark brown eyes that are shiny despite the lack of light, “I could say the same for you.” Seokjin feels a weird feeling in his chest as he doesn’t look away. Jungkook’s intense eyes soften as they keep eye contact. 

 

Then, Jungkook turns around. “Are you done?” 

 

“Almost,” Seokjin quickly applies the rest of the herbs, ignoring the warmth in his chest. “I’m done,” Seokjin announces as he finishes. “Don’t put on your shirt since it’s still wet. I’m going to wash my hands.” 

 

Seokjin goes to the cave’s entrance, holding his hand out to rinse the herbs off. Though hard to tell because of the rain, it seems like night has fallen. Seokjin leans against the cave wall. “Hopefully, it’ll stop raining soon.”

 

Seokjin stays by the cave entrance, watching the storm. He wonders what Prince Taehyung is doing right now. Is he worried about him? Will they come looking for him and Jungkook after the storm has passed? 

 

Seokjin returns to Jungkook after a good twenty minutes has passed. Jungkook is sleeping on the stone slab, on his side, and using his arm as a pillow. He’s still shirtless like Seokjin ordered him to. 

 

Seokjin picks up Jungkook’s wet clothes, hanging them so to dry. He looks at his own wet clothes, debating if he should take them off to hang them as well. Seokjin decides not to.

 

He sits down beside the peaceful Jungkook, who doesn’t look like he got hurt at all if you were to look from the front. Seokjin scans Jungkook’s arm which has goosebumps. If only they had a blanket. 

 

Seokjin goes over to his bow and arrows. He takes the arrows out from the bag, reaching for the bottom, and protrudes a small shawl. Seokjin almost forgot about the old thing, using it as a cushion when the arrows are sling onto his back so as not to bring an ache.

 

Being in the bag of arrows and the bottom, it’s still pretty dry. Seokjin takes the shawl over to Jungkook, putting it over him. As he does so, his hands brush Jungkook’s skin. Seokjin gasps and touches Jungkook’s forehead. He’s burning up. 

 

Seokjin stands up and takes off the cloth around his forehead. He goes back to the entrance of the cave, wetting it, then wringing it. He also makes another cone with a big leaf, gathering some water. 

 

Seokjin removes the shawl from Jungkook and starts wiping his body with the cloth. After an hour, Seokjin finds himself dozing off multiple times but he shakes away the sleepiness and continues wiping Jungkook’s body with the wet cloth. Getting up every now and then to get new water. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin’s eyes flutter open to see the cave ceiling. He lets them close again, feeling the drowsiness. Then his eyes shoot open, looking over to his side where Jungkook should be. 

 

“Jeon,” Seokjin calls, voice echoing in the cave. He gets up, going to the cave entrance, and wincing when sunlight meets his eyes. The rain has stopped. “Jeon?” Seokjin tries again, not wanting to wander from the cave where he can get lost. 

 

Seokjin hears rustling from a tree and he steps slowly back into the safety of the cave. Then, Jungkook pops out from the tree, his clothes now on and dry. He climbs down slowly, holding some grapes. “Good morning, Jin,” Jungkook greets casually, walking back to the cave. 

 

Seokjin follows him into the cave, pressing a hand to his forehead, causing Jungkook to stop walking. “How are you feeling?” Seokjin asks worriedly. He fell asleep and didn’t wake up until now so who knows what Jungkook’s fever could’ve manifested to.

 

“Are you feeling hot? Or are you feeling cold?” Seokjin asks, moving his hand down to Jungkook’s cheek after feeling that his forehead’s temperature felt oddly normal. 

 

Jungkook turns away, “I’m feeling better now. Perfect.” 

 

Seokjin who still has his hand on Jungkook’s cheek tilts his head in confusion, “Then how come your cheek is starting to warm up?” 

 

Jungkook’s head snaps back to him and he grabs Seokjin’s wrist, tugging his hand away. “You’re just imagining things now. My face isn’t hot,” Jungkook tells him but Seokjin presses his lips together, doubtful. He definitely felt his cheek warming up. 

 

Jungkook lets go of his wrist, picking one of the grapes and giving it to Seokjin. “This is safe to eat. You should eat.” 

 

Seokjin takes the grape but doesn’t eat immediately. “When did you wake up?” 

 

“A while ago.” Jungkook pops one of the grapes into his mouth, munching it. 

 

Seokjin nods and brings the grape to his lips but stops when another question comes to mind. “Does your wound still hurt?” Jungkook shakes his head, mouth busy with the grapes. Seokjin nods and is about to sink his teeth into the grape but queries, “Are you sure?” 

 

“I’m sure,” Jungkook says, the corner of his mouth turned a bit upwards. “Now stop talking and eat.” 

 

Seokjin does as he orders, taking a bite of grape, tasting the lusciousness of it. As he’s about to take a second bite, he turns to Jungkook, displeased, “Why were you climbing the tree? Just last night, you were sick and your wound has not healed-“

 

Jungkook pushes a grape into his mouth, laughing as Seokjin’s eyes widen. Seokjin quickly swallows the grape. “I could’ve choked,” Seokjin tells him, glaring at Jungkook who’s still laughing. 

 

“Stop being such a worrywart,” Jungkook’s laughter dies down. “You need to eat up,” he puts the rest of the grapes in Seokjin’s hands. “I know that my fever kept you up all night,” Jungkook says, the mischief from earlier now gone. “Thank you for fighting my fever, Jin.” 

 

Seokjin picks one of the grapes. “No need to thank me.” He fiddles with the grape, not sure what to say next. “Thank you for the meal,” he thanks softly. 

 

Jungkook chuckles, “I wouldn’t call it a meal per se.” 

 

Seokjin chuckles and puts the grape in Jungkook’s hand. “You don’t expect me to eat this whole meal by myself, do you?” Together, they finish their breakfast which only consisted of grapes. Yet, Seokjin felt content.