Chapter 7

A Fragile State of Mind (A Tokyo Ghoul/Twilight Saga Crossover)

"Are you interested in my brother?"

The straightforward and out of nowhere question forced Kaneki to steel himself from jerking the steering wheel to the side. A good thing, too, as they were just passing a large 18 wheeler.

"I- what?" Kaneki stuttered out, managing to safely park in the lot in front of the cafe. He turned his head towards the pixie girl in the passenger seat, and she raised an eyebrow at him, smiling. She unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door.

"I didn't stutter," she said.

Kaneki stared after the strange girl before getting out of the car to walk her into the building.

"So...are you?" Alice asked again. "These are important questions here, Kaneki!"

"I don't see how-"

"Is he what?" Touka came downstairs, pausing as she took in the sight of Alice. Before Kaneki could speak, Alice went over to Touka, much like she did with Kaneki, just not as cautious he noticed.

"I'm Alice Cullen. It's nice to finally meet you," she said. "Touka, right?"

"Yeah," Touka said, sending a look over Alice's shoulder at Kaneki. "Nice to meet you too. I hope he hasn't been too much trouble."

"Excuse me?!"

The two girls ignored him.

"Oh no, he's been great. I hope to actually have him around more, especially if my assumptions are correct..." she trailed off as she looked at Kaneki, wiggling her eyebrows and smirking. Kaneki flushed.

"Assumptions?" Touka questioned as she put her purse on the counter. She had her own smirk forming on her face, making Kaneki remember the conversation that morning two days ago.

"It's nothing," Kaneki huffed at the same time Alice said, "He likes my brother."

"Alice!"

"Am I wrong?"

"You mean that Emmett guy you've been talking about recently?" Touka inquired, her voice holding that false innocence, but her smirk said otherwise. "That's what I thought too."

That had Alice rounding on Kaneki fully. "So you've been talking about him."

"Not like that! I just-"

Kaneki huffed again, somewhat annoyed. It wasn't a god damned crush! It-Well, he didn't know what it was exactly. He barely knew this man. But he guessed that the way he'd been acting recently would give someone that thought. Emmett did intrigue him, he supposed.

"Anyways!" He said, in a strong attempt to change the subject. "Alice wanted to tag along to Port Angeles with you guys."

"I hope I'm not intruding," Alice said quickly, seeming to drop the previous subject to Kaneki's relief. "I can usually only get my sister to go out shopping with me, and even she has her limits." She chuckled.

"No, it's fine," Touka replied. "More the merrier."

"I'm sure Hinami would love to have someone that will be going to school with her. Where is she anyway?"

"In the back," Touka answered and glanced at Alice. "You're still in high school?"

Kaneki slipped away into the back room while the two girls talked. Hinami had just exited the walk-in fridge when Kaneki entered. Grabbing a paper towel from a nearby shelf, Kaneki started to wipe Hinami's still lightly stained mouth.

"Messy as usual," Kaneki chuckled. Hinami reached up and hit the back of his neck with a laugh.

"Thanks," she said before walking over to the sink to wash her hands.

"Is Yoma here," Kaneki asked, leaning against the counter.

"Yeah, he's upstairs taking a nap if you wanted to talk to him."

Kaneki shook his head. "No, I was just wondering. By the way, Alice Cullen invited herself to Port Angeles with you guys. I hope that's alright; she's going to Forks High too."

"That's great! Someone to show me the ins and outs around here. I just need to go brush my teeth before we leave." She wiped her hands on a clean towel, smiling. "Are you coming?"

Kaneki shrugged. "I have nothing better to do. I'll be out in a bit. I want to make sure everything is cleaned up."

Hinami nodded, the ponytail her hair was pulled back into, swaying with the movement. She went out, and Kaneki walked into the fridge, making sure everything was in order and that the fridge was closed shut tightly behind him. Hinami was back downstairs by the time Kaneki was finished.

Kaneki blinked at the look Alice had on her face. She sat on one of the stools at the counter, looking from Kaneki, the door to the back, and Hinami, standing by Touka. Her nose was flaring slightly, rapidly, and her eyebrows were pulled together towards the middle like she was concentrating hard.

"You okay?" Kaneki asked cautiously, not really able to read on the girl's emotions behind the expression. Alice nodded rather slowly, eyes still shifting.

"Sorry, I thought..." She trailed off. "Nevermind, it's nothing."

A smile appeared on her face as if what Kaneki had seen hadn't been there in the first place. "Let's get going?"


Emmett 6:49 p.m.

Im rlly sorry about my sis

she can be rlly…

overwhelming sometimes.

Kaneki 6:50 p.m.

Do the members of your family usually buy things for people they don't know?

Emmett 6:50 p.m.

Nope

ur different

besides, she only paid for the phone itself

not the plan

tho im sure my fam wouldnt mind taking on ur bill if u would let them

Kaneki 6:52 p.m.

Absolutely not.

I only let her because Touka and Hinami sided with her.

Kaneki 6:53 p.m.

What do you mean by "I'm different"?

Emmett 6:54 p.m.

idk

U just are

Kaneki sat blinking at the screen of his new phone, confused at what to respond with. Different...

He couldn't decipher whether Emmett meant that as a good or bad thing.

Kaneki did end up going with the girls to Port Angeles that afternoon, much to Alice's delight. As...' unthreatening' the Cullens and the Hales seemed to be, it did not mean that Kaneki trusted the members around his own. He didn't want to leave Touka and Hinami alone with someone they'd only just met.

They went from store to store, with no ending in sight if Alice had a say. She practically tried to buy them a whole new wardrobe, which they had declined. They did buy a couple of things that the pixie suggested, and Kaneki had a feeling that 'no' wouldn't be an option if there was a next time. The Cullens saying that Alice likes shopping was a major understatement.

Kaneki, however, could not stop Alice from buying him a cell phone, especially when Touka and Hinami seemed to be on her side of things. Something about it being time for him to have one and that he should take her up on the offer.

Touka was firm about wanting Kaneki to have a legit form of contact with the others since they were settling in a new town and they may not be around each other all the time. Kaneki had a feeling that it was also in case he decided to pull a "disappearing act," as Touka called it.

And Kaneki believed Alice had more intentions behind the action, but he relented in the end.

By the time they left, Kaneki had a new phone with the "necessary" accessories. The phone had been added to the family plan. Could they really blame him for feeling guilty, even after Alice explained that her family had more money than they knew what to do with sometimes? One phone purchase meant nothing. Kaneki had responded, saying that he didn't really like people spending money on him for things he didn't need.

But apparently, he did need this. Kaneki begged to differ but thanked Alice still. He drove Alice home after dropping Touka and Hinami off at the cafe. Alice spent the trip setting up his phone for him, downloading things Kaneki doubted he'd ever use. Still, he didn't have the heart to spoil her enjoyment of the simple task.

Kaneki left immediately after dropping her off, claiming he was tired. He bid the family goodbye for the second time that day, and another thank you to Alice before pulling off. He had only been back home for a good 30 minutes when his phone pinged. Apparently, Alice had put in her and her family's contact information, which reminded him to add his own family'.

Kaneki 7:02 p.m.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Emmett 7:04 p.m.

Good

definitely good

Kaneki 7:05 p.m.

Oh.


Kaneki awoke later that night, or rather that super early morning, to a repeating low jingle going off that stopped and started with a few seconds in between. He quietly sat up, his eyes roaming across the room. Yoma's large form created a hump under the blankets on his bed on the other side of the room, the only movement coming from his slow, steady breathing.

Kaneki rubbed his eyes and looked to his side as the jingle sounded again and then stopped. Then sounded again. Picking up his phone, he the screen to the text app that was still open from hours before. Three dots in a bubble appeared at the bottom of the text thread he had with Emmett, setting the sound off again.

Kaneki turned the volume down a bit, so he didn't have to worry about waking Yoma. It seemed like Emmett kept trying to type something, only to go back and erase it, changing his mind over and over again. Kaneki couldn't bring himself to be upset about being woken up so abruptly in the middle of the night. It had gotten him out of his dreams before he'd sunk too deep to escape.

Kaneki 3:22 a.m.

Just say what you want to say.

The dots stopped again, then reappeared. Only this time, it was actually followed by a message.

Emmett 3:22 a.m.

Im sorry

did I wake u?

Kaneki 3:23 a.m.

No.

Well, yes, but it's okay. I don't sleep for long periods anyway.

Why aren't you sleeping? You need sleep for your young developing mind.

Emmett 3:23 a.m.

It's summer

Anywaysssssss

srry for waking u

I just like talking to u and i wanted to ask u something

just dont know how to phrase it

Emmett

3:24 a.m.

forgot it was so late lol

...im spamming

srry

Kaneki 3:25 a.m.

I said it was fine.

What did you need to ask?

Emmett 3:25 a.m.

U talk rlly proper

like even thru text

its kinda cute, honestly

Kaneki 3:26 a.m.

Emmett.

What did you want to ask?

Emmett went silent for a long moment. Kaneki could see that he'd read the message due to the 'read' signature and the time stamp below his message. Maybe he changed his mind?

Emmett 3:30 a.m.

Can I take u on a date?

Kaneki did a double-take, blinking fast. Even rubbing his eyes and then squinting at the screen to see if he'd read that correctly.

Kaneki 3:33 a.m.

Is this a joke?

Emmett 3:33 a.m.

No?

Kaneki 3:34 a.m.

I'm a bit old for you…

Emmett 3:35 a.m.

im an adult, dude

Kaneki huffed.

Kaneki 3:35 a.m.

Barely.

You're still in high school.

Emmett 3:38 a.m.

And?

Emmett 3:38 a.m.

look I get where ur coming from

but im being completely serious here

Kaneki 3:40 a.m.

I highly doubt your family would be very supportive of you pursuing someone 6 years older than you.

I don't want to cause any issues.

Find someone your own age?

Emmett 3:41 a.m.

So u r interested?

And I dont want anyone here

anyone my age at least

I want u

and my family wouldnt care as long as im happy

Kaneki groaned, stilling when Yoma stirred at the noise before settling again. He relaxed and stared down at the phone screen. He couldn't believe this guy right now. And he definitely couldn't believe the fact that he was considering this deep down! 'I want u'...why did that simple statement make his heart skip a beat?

Had he not learned his lesson the first time around? Though he knew that Emmett wasn't human (he really needed to start some research), unlike him, not realizing Rize was a ghoul until it was too late.

History tended to repeat itself if you don't heed the consequences of the past.

The phone pinged several times in a row, again bringing his attention back.

Emmett 3:46 a.m.

please?

Just one date

Emmett 3:49 a.m.

Kaneki?

u there?

Emmett 3:53 a.m.

u can say no obviously

im not trying to pressure u or anything if u truly arent interested

ill understand

Kaneki felt his heart clench. Was he serious? Kaneki bit his lip, staring off for a moment.

Kaneki 3:55 a.m.

What did you have in mind?

Emmett 3:55 a.m.

really?

Kaneki 3:56 a.m.

Yes.

Emmett 3:57 a.m.

Oh k

Wow

didnt think u were actually going to say yes after all that

But consider it a surprise

when r u free?

I know u have the cafe stuff to work on

A surprise...great…

Kaneki sighed. Knowing the typical dates people went on, there would be a restaurant involved. He guessed he could it up for one evening...God, he was really setting himself up for disaster here, wasn't he?

Kaneki 4:00 a.m.

Could I get back to you on that?

My days usually just go by whatever Touka has me doing.

Emmett 4:01 a.m.

no rush ?

thanks :)

Kaneki 4:02 a.m.

I didn't do anything.

Emmett 4:02 a.m.

For giving me a chance

u have a ton of reasons not to

valid ones

Just…

Emmett 4:03 a.m.

Thanks :)

A soft smile appeared on Kaneki's face.

Kaneki 4:04 a.m.

Go to sleep, Emmett


Hinami, with her hair still in her ponytail from yesterday only messier, wandered downstairs around 7 the next morning, craving a nice cup of coffee. She crouched down in front of the counter to grab a mug. When she popped her head back up with a yawn, she nearly dropped the cup in her hand as her eyes took in Kaneki's still form sitting on one of the stools.

"Kaneki!" She exclaimed, taking a breath. She swore the man was like a ghost sometimes. "What are you doing?"

The white-haired man hummed in question, turning his head towards her. He seemed to have just realized that she'd entered the room.

"Oh, Hina. Good morning," he said. "I'm just thinking... couldn't sleep."

Hinami looked at him closely. "Oh okay."

Hinami started making her coffee, grabbing another mug from under the cabinet for Kaneki. She kept an eye on her big brother while she worked. He stayed seated on his stool, staring out the windows across the room. Hinami went and sat on the chair next to him, placing his mug on the counter in front of him. He looked down at it, then at her, smiling softly.

"Thank you." He picked up the mug. Kaneki's hair was messy from sleep, much like hers, though Hinam had a feeling he'd been up for a while now. A throw blanket was draped over one shoulder and around his waist. They sat in silence for a while, just watching as the sky got brighter with the morning sun.

Forks had returned to its normal cloudy state, the sun practically blocked out entirely with the blanket of clouds. Hinami wondered if it was going to rain today; it certainly looked like it would.

"I was asked out on a date this morning," Kaneki stated suddenly. Hinami blinked over in surprise at him, the comfortable silence abruptly broken by the seemingly out of nowhere statement.

"I-Okay. That's unexpected," she blurted.

She saw Kaneki kind of shrink back a bit at the comment.

"I didn't mean it like that," she said quickly. "You're a handsome, sweet guy. Anyone would be lucky to have you, and I'm surprised no one has snatched you up yet."

She laughed. "I just didn't expect you to bring something like that up. You've never really shown interest in it after...Who was it?"

"Emmett Cullen."

"Alice's brother?"

Kaneki nodded.

"Okay...well, what did you say."

"No...at first. He kind of convinced me into at least one date."

Hinami took a sip of her coffee. "Why? You really shouldn't get his hopes up if you truly aren't interested, Kaneki," she said gently.

"I wouldn't have said yes if that was the case. I'm not usually so easily convinced. Emmett's just...I don't know how to explain it. But I'm older than him, and he isn't human, nor is his family. Though he claims that they won't be an issue and would be supportive...which is-"

"Am I being stupidly reckless?" He voiced.

Hinami thought for a moment, chewing on her inner cheek. She wanted to say this correctly. Kaneki had opened up to her, which was a feat in itself. She usually just stuck to that silent support. "It's also Rize holding you back, isn't it?"

She could feel Kaneki's gaze on her, and she met his eyes. Hinami never got the full story of what happened to Kaneki, besides the basics she'd gotten from Touka and the others. She'd been young, and it was a need to know basis back then. She had no business involved with it. But she knew that many of Kaneki's issues always seemed to make their way back to Rize one way or another.

"I don't think you're reckless. I think you're healing. Healing enough that you're taking risks in place that you've completely closed off the notion for long ago. You're letting someone in, in a way. You said yes to a date. Emmett and his family haven't hurt you, or us, at any point of knowing them so far. I can't say that it couldn't happen, because no one can predict the future. But you're willing to take the risk, and I'm behind you no matter what. Emmett seems to have caught your attention, something no one has done since Rize that I've noticed. And clearly, he's interested in pursuing you."

Hinami placed her cup down and took Kaneki's bigger hand in hers, brushing his bangs out of his eyes with her other hand. Brown met gray. She smiled. "Just do what you believe will make you happy."

Kaneki's eyes watered, his eyebrows furrowing as he clenched those eyes shut, placing his own mug down with a trembling hand. "I-"

A faint choking sound erupted from his chest, and he opened his eyes again, a few tears falling from them and down his cheeks. The hand that held Hinami's tightened its grip. "... I'm scared," he got out. "I don't want to go through that again."

"Oh, Kaneki..." Hinami pulled Kaneki forward with a tug, wrapping her arms around him. His body was tense, but he didn't pull away. Kaneki let her hold him, his face pressed into her neck and shoulder, and his body was shaking as muffled cries sounded.

And Hinami held him as tightly as he held her. She whispered soft, comforting words in his ear. She didn't push him to talk more; had it been Touka or Yoma who found him and spoke to him, Kaneki would have shut down and closed up, she knew.

But Kaneki was healing; she was sure of it. What had triggered it, Hinami didn't know. Maybe it was Emmett, perhaps it was settling here in Forks. Or maybe it had all just become too much for Kaneki to keep in and handle by himself. Whatever it was, Hinami would be there for him in any way he may need.

Kaneki had said something once; it was years ago when they'd first met, during one of their reading lessons. She was sure that he hadn't meant anyone to hear him.

But it was something about tragedy always happening to the people who least deserved it, those who had already suffered enough in their lives. He'd said it with a smile, a very misplaced smile in Hinami's opinion. And she still, to this day, didn't know what had truly been going through Kaneki's head at the time. But it was the talking of tragedy combined with that sad smile that told that there was more to it.

Kaneki had suffered, suffered a lot. A lot more than the average person or ghoul. And as Hinami held onto her brother, who was clutching to her as if she would disappear, she wanted to take all his burden, all his issues, away. So he wouldn't feel this way over such a simple thing as a date, so he could live so carefree and without the unneeded worry.

"You are loved," Hinami whispered softly, running her fingers up and down the still trembling back. Her tone was soft, and she wasn't sure if he could even hear her over his crying, but she kept going anyway.

"You are safe. I know that it's hard to get past the things of your past, but please...please don't let it hold you back from the happiness you deserve so much..."