Chapter 1

A Fragile State of Mind (A Tokyo Ghoul/Twilight Saga Crossover)

Kaneki Ken, the one-eyed ghoul, could be found staring blankly out the plane window he was currently on at the slowly rising sun. Hinami, fast asleep, was tucked up against his side with his arm draped over her shoulder. In the two blue fabric seats in front of them sat Touka and Yomo who were speaking to each other in hushed tones as to not wake or disturb other passengers.

Kaneki knew what they were discussing. If his hearing wasn't already heightened, Touka's non discreet glances at him through the gap between the seats gave them away. But he ignored the looks and tried to tune out the conversation altogether, opting to continue his staring contest with his own reflection in the glass. Kaneki had lost track of the number of flights the group of four had taken in the past two years.

After the battle of the 20th ward, Kaneki had nothing left for himself in Japan. His parents were dead, he had no contact with his aunt or other relatives and it wasn't as if he could just pop up in their lives now. That surely would be a calm reunion, Kaneki thought humourlessly. Yoshimura, kaya Irimi, and Enji Koma had all met their demise during the battle. Hide was dead as well; Kaneki had left his body with the CCG soldiers and had escaped from the battle between himself and Arima.

There was a slight weight lifted from Kaneki's shoulders that night when Hide had revealed that he had known Kaneki was a ghoul all along. But in the end, Hide's death was on him. Hide had joined the CCG for him, to try and find him after he disappeared without a word. He had truly been the sun of Kaneki's life, and he had deserved better than what he had gotten.

Anteiku had been burned to the ground, so Kaneki had found Touka and Hinami at Yomo's apartment with Tsukiyama and Nishiki. He explained to them that he was leaving Japan altogether. He didn't remember when he had come to the decision, but with so much has happened to him following his near-death with Rize and the fact that he was one of the highly wanted ghouls by the CCG, he didn't have much of a choice.

After a particularly long discussion, all but Tsukiyama and Nishiki declared that they would be going with him. Tsukiyama didn't want to leave the life he had built up and grown accustomed to in Japan, which Kaneki didn't have a problem with. Despite the fact he considered the Gourmet ghoul as a friend of sorts, he didn't trust him from a moral standpoint. But did he trust the man with his life? Absolutely

Nishiki wanted to stay for his girlfriend, not wanting to leave her nor wanting to have her leave her life behind just for him. He could handle himself, at the end of the day, which Kaneki respected. But Kaneki was against the other three going with him, but his protests fell on deaf ears it seemed.

"We all need a fresh start," Yomo had said. So once Yomo and Touka had settled everything with the others, and they had said their goodbyes, they left. Uta had opted up to taking over the duties Yomo had been doing, so they didn't have to worry about leaving the ghouls that relied on the system Yoshimura had made to fend for themselves.

That had been two years ago, and the four had been hopping place to place ever since. They never settled long, mostly due to Kaneki's issues, though they would never say that to his face. Until now, that is. Touka, though she understood that Kaneki had his problems, was fed up with the constant moving around, and had taken it upon herself to search for a proper place to settle, a small town preferably. And she had eventually found one. Forks, Washington. A small town near Seattle and Port Angeles.

The speakers above the seats went off and a young woman's voice spoke through. "Hello there passengers, we will be landing in Seattle in approximately one hour-"

Kaneki shut out her voice, looking down at Hinami with a small smile gracing his lips. A rare sight nowadays. His fingers gently played with the ends of Hinami's light brown hair, careful not to wake her from her peaceful sleep. He could only wish to be able to sleep like that again.

The dark rings under his visible eye spoke volumes and stood out against his pale skin. He had developed a case of insomnia after the incident with Rize, and it only got worse as time went on. Nothing new to Kaneki for sure. Even if he managed to fall asleep, he would usually wake not long after, either woken from a nightmare or his own paranoid mind.

Kaneki still wore his signature eyepatch over his left eye where his kakugan was. As if he didn't already stand out with the snow-white hair. He never bothered to try and dye it back to its original black, despite Touka's comments on it. The white would show through eventually anyway; why bother?

Careful of Hinami, he leaned forward. "Where exactly will we be staying?"

Touka's face appeared in the gap and Yomo glanced over the top of his seat. He didn't have to strain his neck to do so, with his 5'11 height.

"It's a building similar to Anteiku," said Touka. "Used to be a small little shop, but it closed down years ago. All it needs is some fixing up and small touches, but that all should be done by the end of the summer."

Kaneki hummed. Touka wanted to open her coffee shop. She explained that the building had upstairs living quarters, so they wouldn't have to live off sight. But other than that, Kaneki was given no other information. He assumed she wanted to leave it as a surprise of some sort. He doubted Yomo was out of the loop like he and Hinami were. You couldn't keep many secrets from that man. Yomo had his own little way of dragging the truth out eventually.

"And our story?" Kaneki asked. "This is a small town. Locals of small places tend to be gossips and I'm sure they'll be asking."

"Same as always. Hinami's your baby sister. You can still tell people that you and I are siblings or whatever. Just let me know what you decide, Same for Yomo."

Kaneki nodded, leaning back and tightening his arm around Hinami's shoulder. He had never had an objection to the role. Hinami was his sister to him in all but blood. Touka as well.

Touka couldn't contain her grin at the sight before her. They didn't see Kaneki like this often, only fleeting moments. They were worried about Kaneki, his mental health mainly. Though his physical health was a cause for concern as well. They had been watching Kaneki getting worse and worse as time went on with a loss of what to do.

He had somewhat gotten over his reluctance of eating humans; they still used suicide victims to their advantage. It was the best route when wanting to stay on the down-low. But he still used the coffer cubes that Yoshimura had introduced him to when he first joined Anteiku. His nightmares were still very frequent, despite him trying to hide them from everyone else. They had come to the conclusion that he suffered from PTSD, and who knew what else. It's not like they could go in and get him examined, even if they could Kaneki would never allow it.

The nightmares, they noticed, occurred almost every night, and they all were well aware of his insomnia. He could get rather hostile with anyone he assumed was a threat, and a lot of his focus went to that when out in public. They had been surprised when he eventually relaxed somewhat during the flight. He had spent at least the first hour of the flight sitting stiffly, his ever-moving eyes flicking from face to face on the plane.

He had even lost his passion for reading. Touka could remember a time when Kaneki would get excited over whatever book he would be reading at the time when he was still his quiet, bookworm self. Now, he only helped Hinami with her reading and learning the English language. He didn't seem as into it as he used to be. It was just a task.

If they couldn't get him to see a professional, which was very unlikely, Yomo at least wanted to get him to open up about his issues. Touka agreed, but they have yet to bring it up with their white-haired companion.

Kaneki was staring out the window again, apparently having no other questions to ask. The plan had begun lowering through the clouds. They would be landing soon. He gently shook Hinami's shoulder. The 18-year old's brown eyes fluttered open and she covered as she yawned.

"We there yet?" She asked.

"Almost," Kaneki answered, placing a kiss on top of her head. Her hair had grown out, reaching her shoulders at this point. She still wore that headband with the two four-leaf clover pins. Her childish figure was long gone, and she had grown a couple of feet.

She's going to break a lot of hearts, Kaneki thought jokingly.

As the plane came closer to the airport, Kaneki silently hoped that life in Forks would be peaceful and that he and the others would be happy there. He sighed. With his luck, who knew how things would go. Doubt was heavy in his heart, but he didn't want to ruin this for anyone. So he hung on to the small feeling of hope he could manage to grip.


The five of the family ended up waiting for two more hours for the last two coven members to return, and now that Rosalie knew Alice's vision had something to do with her, she persistently demanded to know what it was. But Edward and Alice kept their lips sealed despite the impatience and annoyance of their sister.

When Emmett and Jasper finally were coming up the driveway, Rosalie was on her feet and at the front door in a flash. "Took you long enough!" She snapped.

Emmett looked startled at his wife, wondering what had her so worked up. As they entered the living room, Jasper began projecting calming waves over his twin in an attempt to ease whatever was bothering her.

"What happened?" He asked, taking a seat on the side of Alice that wasn't occupied.

"Alice had a vision and neither she nor Edward will tell us anything! Said we need to wait for you guys to be here."

Emmett pulled Rosalie into his lap and rubbed his thumb along her arm and Alice bit her lip. She really didn't know how to get this out there without everyone going nuts. She felt Jasper's hand on her knee and she looked over at him.

"What did you see?" He asked gently. He could feel waves of nervousness and doubt rolling off of her. He didn't think anyone was in danger; Alice wouldn't hold off information like that just for the sake of them all being there to hear about it. But it was important, he could tell. Something that would affect the family as a whole.

Alice took an unneeded breath. "It's about Emmett. Sometime in the next day or so, someone will be arriving in Forks. A man with white hair, and three others."

The family exchanged glances of confusion. Was that it?

"Are they human?"

"The man, I believe so. He's not one of us, at least. I'm not sure about the others as I barely saw them. It wasn't really the focus of the vision anyways..."

"Okay," Emmett slowly. He was still stuck on the fact that she said it was about him. "What does this have to do with me?"

"...We have reason to believe that this man may be Emmett's, true mate."

Jasper's grip on Alice's knee tightened as four other peoples' many different emotions and reactions hit him all at once. Rosalie's feelings were the only vocal one, growling rumbling in her chest. Emmett's arms locked around her waist, his wide eyes locked on Alice.

"But-but how? Rosalie-"

"We don't know," Edward said. "The vision didn't exactly show us much." He quickly began explaining what both he and Alice had seen.

Everyone had their eyes on the couple. Rosalie sat like a statue across her husband's lap, her growling having ceased. Jasper, after the initial emotional hits, was able to lock onto just his twin's and Emmett's. Emmett's were as expected. Just as jumbled and all over the place like Rosalie's. He focused just on Rosalie's whose emotions were flashing from one to another. Confusion, shock, anger, sadness...

Determination? Jasper glanced at Edward and was about to ask what was going on in Rosalie's head when she sighed, her shoulders drooping and she stood to her feet after Emmett's slight protest to letting her go.

"Well, there isn't much we can do about this until these people get here, right?"

Emmett stared up at his wife, dumbfounded. The others were looking the same, besides Edward. He had already seen her thoughts and gave a sad, pained smile.

"You're taking this...well," Alice said cautiously.

Rosalie shook her head, her hair fanning over her shoulders. "I am upset, exceptionally so. And I don't think we should make any...hasty decisions until we know for sure about everything."

She turned and took Emmett's large hands into her. "I do love you, with all my heart, no matter what. And if this man is Emmett's true mate, who am I to stand between that? Your happiness is all I want, at the end of the day."