2..

Why?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyong's first day of in Seoul had an anticlimactic conclusion. After that fun lunch, 22 people, especially the foreigners, took it upon themselves to teach him Korean etiquette all at once. Then they had a meeting with the managers about tomorrow's schedule including a curious dinner with Changmin's friends. Then he was introduced to the most amazing thing ever that is cup ramen at dinner. Then everyone lugged their tired bodies to bed to get enough rest before the 5 a.m. camera training session.

Taeyong hadn't rested since he landed in Seoul. Yet somehow when he lays on the bed and Doyoung has switched off the lights, sleep eludes him.

It's the realization that for the first time in his life he hasn't told his parents good night and gotten a sweet dreams in return. It's not even like the times one of his parents had to go on short trips as translators and he and whichever Dad stayed behind with him exchanged good nights twice in each of their time zones through the phone. And tomorrow when he wakes up, it'll be the first Saturday of his life without Papa's weekend waffles. It's the first time he won't be spending the weekend restaurant hopping and shopping with his fathers.

It all washes over him and racks his body with sobs. And all he could do is bury his face in his pillow and muffle them, taking little consolation in the kind boy who hugs his back and softly whispers "I'm here... we're all here..."

~~~

Taeyong triple checks the people in the cab and confirms that yes, he's not colour blind. Everyone's in friggin red. And he's in his grey denim shirt, customised by his two precious people. He is missing them harder now and put on the one jacket they didn't mind he "ruined" to imagine they're with him.

Jaehyun's been subtly goading him to call them, slipping his phone into his pocket which weighs heavy against his leg now.

That aside. Why didn't anyone tell him the dress code?!

"Why is everyone in red?"

"Took you long enough to ask," Ten chuckles, twisting in the front seat to look at him. "Well you see, Super Junior is in Manila and Shinee members are currently serving in the military. So we figured who Changmin Sunbaenim's friends are and very subtly convey we are crazy Cassies."

"Cassies? What?"

"You need to elaborate, hyung. Don't assume he knows everything." Jaehyun tells Ten then shifts in his seat to face Taeyong, "Cassies as in Cassiopeia, the official fandom of TVXQ." Oh, Taeyong just heard of that. It was the group the director was a part of. He hasn't his phone yet or found a computer so far so he hasn't looked them up. But the others mentioned the director was an idol too. Which explains why he doesn't seem like a boring executive. "Cassies' fandom colour is pearl red. Hence, we dressed to impress. Changmin-ssi's other friends are in Super Junior and Shinee. If we were going to meet Super Junior we'd wear blue. If it was Shinee, well...whatever we find because not everyone has aqua green something."

"Okay but why didn't anyone tell me to wear red? I look like an idiot!"

"We were going to tell you but you got dressed up first and then we saw this... it's like you're a decorated commander and we're your squad. It looks more Cassie than any of us." Doyoung a finger on Taeyong's shoulder where a patch of paint and glitter curled around his broadest part of his bone.

Taeyong doesn't need to look to be reminded of the weird angular W his Papa did in red paint and his Appa put golden dots on each point as they giggled about something. No matter how much he asked they wouldn't say what that W means. Taeyong only jazzed it up some more before writing "Always Keep The Faith" down the sleeve in the same calligraphy as it is tattooed on his Papa's heart.

His parents say that as a baby he'd stare at that tattoo for hours. The other ink on his Papa didn't interest him as much. His parents think he's got creativity bursting at the seams that he takes it out on his clothes and accessories. But he really started with scribbling his Papa's tattooed philosophy on his notebooks, shoes, bags and hoodies, till he could replicate every curve exactly as it is on his father's heart.

It became his truth to live by. Something he needed on him as a reminder. So he promised himself that when he turns 18, he's going to get that same tattoo. Papa can't protest when he loves his ink. And Appa is going to implode for 10 minutes, they'll laugh at him, then Papa will cuddle him, and all will be well.

Except it isn't. It's an illusion. And wearing the jacket that's a tribute to his parents doesn't mean they're here. His own mind isn't here, drifted off to an imaginary weekend where his Papa is taking aesthetic pictures of him to post on Taeyong's Instagram while Appa is being chased by that one pigeon in the park that has it out for him. Or maybe because Taeyong throws breadcrumbs on his Appa's hair when he's not looking. 

"You're overthinking, Ten hyung!" Jaehyun suddenly speaks loudly beside him.

"Am I? He clearly didn't know Cassiopeia and the fandom colour. But he's got the constellation and Youngwoong's famous tattoo on his shirt."

"It's... a coincidence..." Jaehyun mutters, sounding unconvinced to himself while Taeyong is lost. What are they talking about? "Aren't you Jung-Kim? Your father's name... you said it's Jaejoong..." Doyoung whispers and the mention of his parents alarm Taeyong. Why are they arguing about his dads?

"We're here!" The taxi driver pulls up in front of a narrow street. They step out, Taeyong staying close to Jaehyun while he processes the unfamiliar place.

The others slowly filter out of the five other taxis in front of them and Taeyong doesn't realize but he's suddenly doing a headcount while Taeil takes care of all the cab fares. On Changmin's orders, the managers let him handle the card and allowance as he is the eldest. And Taeil himself says everyone's math is too terrible to be trusted with money. It's a subtle jab at Donghyuck who accidentally put two extra bills at the restaurant yesterday till Taeil checked the total. 

"Taro! Where's Shotaro?" Taeyong screeches startling Jaehyun. "I'm here hyung!" The precious oversized baby squeaks as he crawls out of the taxi he was squished into with Johhny, Lucas and Sungchan. Taeyong does a headcount again, not noticing the funny looks he's getting before clapping to himself when all are accounted for.

"Alright then, let's get trekking." Doyoung points at the seemingly endless flight of stairs they have to trudge up to get to a certain townhouse. They form little groups as they walk up the stairs. Ahead of him he can hear Ten bring up the same topic from their ride with Doyoung and Kun.

The way his parents were brought up randomly is disconcerting. Taeyong lags behind to avoid hearing what they talk, Jaehyun falling into step with him naturally. "Why are they gossipping about my family so suddenly?" Taeyong feels Jaehyun's arm brush against his when the younger shrugs. Wow, so close. "I don't know Hyung. It just sounds like a silly parlour mystery. Ten Hyung wanted to be an idol because of Uknow and he's been obsessed with all the conspiracy theories about TVXQ. He says he will find the missing members, get a TVXQ reunion, and become the president of Cassiopeia."

"I literally understood none of that! Uknow? What kind of name is that? And conspiracy theory? I'm starting to think Changmin-ssi's old band was a cult."

"Whoa you're going to need a whole Kpop history lesson, Hyung. I don't want people to think you're a Kpop outsider. Of course I'll have to do that myself. The others just start fighting and get emotional when they talk about it."

"Like I said, cult-"

"Yah Jeno! Wait!" They hear Jaemin yell before noticing the boy in question way ahead of them, skipping three steps at a time. Jeno turns a short corner and rings the bell of a front door amid the others shouting for him to wait. It's as if Jeno is treating them like strangers as he waltzes inside that house by himself.

The door doesn't close even though Jeno's in. Instead, an older man peeks around it before breaking into a grin and waving them over. "So we were right! It is them!" Jaehyun fistpumps the air making Taeyong frown. "Who? Y'all don't tell me stuff."

"For context, that's Park Yoochun. Kim Junsu's husband and one of the members of TVXQ. I'll give you the history later. Just know that he's an actor and music producer. You already know Kim Junsu. Also they supposedly have two kids but no one really knows because they kept it a secret." Jaehyun concludes the history lesson when they're all in front of the house.

"Greetings later. Let's not crowd outside. Shoes on the left, head upstairs and turn right. Water's on the table and food's on the way." The Park Yoochun nattered away halfway up the short stairway leading inside the house. Everyone does as they're told and file upstairs, standing awkwardly against the edge of the living room when they don't see anyone inside.

Donghyuck nearly screamed out while pointing at a large picture in the centre of a wall full of paintings and smaller photographs. The little girl and boy looking like miniature Kim Junsus are probably the secret children. Mark clamps a hand on Donghyuck's mouth before he says something that offends the celebrity couple.

Jeno appears from what they assume is a kitchen with a bottle of water and a smug grin. "I win."

"That was not a competition. What were you pulling?" But Jeno only shrugs, further annoying Jaemin.

"He sounds like the runt of the group," Kim Junsu declared while appearing from the kitchen like the preening socialite he isn't. Changmin's right when he says all those Victorian melodramatic musicals have gone to his head. "So bratty and narcissistic. Maybe you get it from your parents. Sounds fishy." For some reason Jeno is offended but it could also be that he's just choking on water. Sounds fishy indeed. "Slow down kid. You're not a real fish. But what would I know. We've never met before~" Jeno sputters again, avoiding 22 pairs of narrowed eyes.

"Subtle, Kim Junsu," Changmin sneers, appearing from the opposite hallway with a cat in his arms and zeroing straight on Jeno. "Yah! Don't drag us into your mess. The deal was no secrets from your bandmates." Jeno finally looks sheepish. He mutters a "I'll tell them later" as he shoots the members a pleading look to save the interrogation for now. 

"What's with this weird atmosphere!" Yoochun whines petulantly, holding an odd platter of nachos and fruit. "Kids, make yourselves

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter