Chapter 14

Ice Cream | NoMin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeno witnessed his mother's loss of appetite each day after the previous incident. She isn't saying anything, but he can tell she is affected by it.

Their home is quiet, and his mother has been locked in her room for some time. The doctor advised her to rest for the time being and stop working, but she couldn't just stop working.

"Do you want to eat something, Mom?" he asked through the door. He waited for her response, but when she didn't respond, he decided to return later. 

She's still upset about what happened last time for sure. Of course, it was the very first time that his brother talked back. 

"I'm going outside for a while," he said before exiting the house.

It's the weekend, and he and Jaemin are supposed to find some people for their research paper survey. Jeno, however, couldn't leave his mother at the time and told Jaemin that they should do it the next time. He told him he had an emergency, which thankfully Jaemin understood.

Well, of course. Whatever his reasons are, Jaemin will always understand him. 

He never thought of Jaemin being understandable like this before and Jeno was glad to discover it. 

He's just really nice. 

Now, Jeno is worried. 

What will happen if his mother discovers his friendship with Jaemin? First and foremost, she never failed to remind him not to associate himself with Jaemin, and she continues to insist that they are competitors, not friends.

What exactly is it about Jaemin that his mother hates?

She's acting as if Jaemin's family took something from her that she'll never forget, and she's forcing Jeno to exact her revenge.

Is she acquainted with his parents?

His mother had no idea how happy he was when he was with Jaemin.

The worse thing is, as the time passes, the way Jeno sees Jaemin is getting deeper and he's aware that it's more than a friendship. He realized that his friends were right but still, he couldn't tell this to Jaemin. 

He's not ready. 

Will he ever be? 

They were just friends, and Jaemin is clearly being nice because that is who he is. That is his character. He's so nice and sweet, how could he not fall in love with him?

Of course Jeno's happy too because he has friends and never left him despite how strict his parents were and couldn't go with their trips in the past. They were very understanding that Jeno shouldn't get into trouble or else, they will never see him again.

But the comfortable and safe feeling that Jaemin brought him is different and strangely, he keeps seeking it.

Jeno is so sure that Karina is suffering too from this. Her parents won't stop bugging her as well. 

She cried last night because her mother is constantly telling her to end her relationship with her boyfriend and start dating Jeno instead.

That is completely absurd. How could they just tell her to break up with her boyfriend as if it were the easiest thing to do, especially when she loved him so much? Seriously, what are they thinking?

It's almost dinner time, but Jeno doesn't have an appetite to eat.

So, he went to the park alone instead, sitting down on one of the benches nearby.

The park was empty, except for some children that play around the playground with toys and swings and some teenagers just like him who hang out by the bench.

It's about time for dinner but why are these kids still playing here at this time? 

Jeno was staring at them, wondering how they were enjoying themselves. There is nothing more exciting than having fun.

However, he suddenly felt someone sit beside him.

He looked over to see that it was Jaemin.

"Jaemin?" 

"I was about to go to your house." 

Jeno blinked his eyes while listening to the younger. "Oh?" 

"I feel like you wanted to talk?" The younger stated softly. It seems like he's being careful to speak with Jeno right now because he doesn't want him to feel uncomfortable. 

When Jaemin sensed that Jeno will not answer because clearly, he's still confused, he sighs. 

"Okay fine. I heard what happened. Not entirely though." He gave up. "I was with Mark and Donghyuck last night when Karina called. It's not my intention to listen, I promise." He pursed his lips while explaining. "You don't have to tell me if you're not comfortable. Just, let me be with you." He then smiled at Jeno while patting the latter on his soft hair. 

Jeno let out a deep sigh and shifted his gaze to his hand. Honestly, he can just tell Jaemin that he is fine, but there's this feeling inside him that he should tell him at least, even though the younger isn't pressuring him to.

"My... My brother and my mother fought because he told us he and his wife had decided to divorce."

Jaemin moved his body, his eyes widening, and he is now completely facing the older. "Are you all right?"

"I guess," he said, his smile obviously phony. "My mother couldn't accept it and blamed my brother for their failed marriage; they forced him to marry someone he didn't know and didn't even love, which of course will never work, and now that it's happening, they want to disown him."

"My brother used to be so happy; he's an ace and always on top of everything; he worked so hard and went through so much just to please our parents; the only thing he wants is to be with his lover, but my parents were furious when they found out that my brother is dating a guy." 

Jeno pressed his lips into thin lines. He's trying not to cry but thinking how his brother has been through a lot, he thinks that leaving will be best for him and that he should choose himself this time.

"I'm sorry.. to hear that." Jaemin said softly while caressing the older's hand.

Jaemin didn't know that Jeno's family were like this and seeing him in pain breaks his heart.

"They weren't ready for that. So they forced him to marry someone he doesn't love." Jeno looked at Jaemin. "What if they also find out that I'm just like my brother?" he chuckled bitterly, shattering Jaemin's heart.

"Jeno..."

"What's the point? They'll still push everything."

Jeno shook. "They keep telling me that they already love each other and get along. They want me to believe that if you're always together and married to each other, you'll learn to love that person, but that doesn't apply to everyone. They want me to believe that becau

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter