Chapter 3

Put Your Head On My Shoulder

credits to owner


Friday

It's quite wonderful not to have to turn off the alarm clock, especially on weekdays. I'm grateful for my choices because it's been a long time since I've felt so energized when I wake up in the morning. Ahhh, I spent Thursday doing nothing but watching my favorite dramas and anime, so I need to pack my belongings now or I'll be panicking tomorrow morning.

But I must first brush my teeth and take a shower. As I walk into my bathroom, I can't recall the last time I scrubbed the floor and cleaned it properly, damn. Maybe I should do some spring cleaning first, then pack my stuff.

I get out from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around my torso after over 20 minutes of scrubbing, singing, daydreaming, and bathing. It felt odd to have the luxury of time to relax after needed to rush around to go to work for the past year. I put on my favorite sweater and shorts before starting my skincare routine.

After done doing everything, where should I start cleaning first? My living room? Kitchen? Bathroom? Hm I think I can cross out the kitchen because I rarely use it so it is in good condition and clean. Maybe I should start with my living room first because if I remember, it is littered with junk food plastics and crumbs everywhere. Yucks.

I couldn't believe how horrible it was until I started sweeping, mopping, and picking up all rubbish. I mean, all this time I assumed it was clean with maybe a few crumbs here and there, but boy, was I mistaken. I'm fatigued after cleaning my living room for about two hours, but I still have to clean my bathroom.

I walk over to the bathroom after sipping a glass of water and mentally preparing myself for yet another bout of tiredness. Just a little scrubbing here and there, and it'll be clean and done, I promise. But, yeah, I'm well aware that it's an empty promise.

Anyway, because it is the simplest task, I begin by moving my products to another place before wiping the sink and counter. Then I keep scrubbing the floor. I've been wearing a bathroom slipper the entire time since I don't enjoy the feeling of my bare foot touching the floor, but oh my god, I had no idea how sticky and filthy the floor had gotten. I put my bathroom slipper down and begin scrubbing right away, checking the floor with my foot to see if it is clean or not.

I'm completely exhausted, resting on my bed, after cleaning my house for I don't know how many hours. You're probably asking why I didn't clean my room right?  It is simple. It is because it does not require any cleaning. My bedroom is really monotonous because I just have a bed and a study table at home to do my work, so it serves as a place for me to sleep and do any additional work that I bring home.

At this point, I've recognized how mundane my life has become. There are lots of people who enjoy their youth by going out on weekends, drinking and clubbing, while I work my head off simply to make ends meet. I understand that different people value different things, but after this, I think I should attempt to put my work aside and spend some time alone, enjoying life.

Since high school, I've always like being alone. I don't like being around people who I believe are only in my life for a short time, yet I can't deny that I'm terrible at making friends but a master at making enemies. Not that I'm really proud of it. But I'm always curious about what it's like to live a normal life. Will it be as enjoyable as it appears? Will it be nice for me?

How about having a boyfriend? During high school, I had one, but he was a jerk. He was a manipulator, a liar, and a cheater. What a scumbag. But I did love him at the time, and I honestly believed that we would be together forever and marry, but jokes on me! Since then, I've never wanted to be in a relationship since I know it will be a burden.

What about blind dates? I went there and did it. Regret it. I went on a few blind dates set up by my sister, but none of them worked out because we had different life goals and most of the men I met didn't want a career-oriented woman. No, don't ask me why since I'm puzzled as well. What's wrong with someone who is focused on their career?

I know there are a lot of nice men out there who will accept me for who I am, but I've met too many ignorant men and I would rather remain single forever. I can't put my life, emotions, mental, and physical health on the line for something that won't last long. 

But, you know what? It's pointless to worry about these things since they won't happen to me and I don't care.

I pack my belongings after finishing my lunch. I think a medium suitcase will suffice for a two-week vacation on Jeju Island. I don't need to bring too many things because I can get what I need there if I forget something. Even though I am 25, I still suffer a minor panic attack when packing my belongings.

Last year, I had a three-day, two-night business trip, and my manager let me go home early to pack my belongings because the business trip was announced on short notice. I packed everything in an hour, but out of fear of forgetting something, I unpacked, then repacked, unpacked again, and repacked again. Worst of all, on the day of my trip, I woke early just to unpack my belongings and double-check everything again.

I was regretful because I was exhausted the entire flight and could hardly keep up with my work. And I'm not going to make the same mistake twice! 

After 1 hour

Okay, toothbrush, clothes, undergarments, and medications are all on the list (just incase I have any allergic reaction). I think I have finished packing my belongings. 

Or maybe not. 

Unpack.

Repack.

Unpack.

Repack.

I am confident now that I have packed everything. Or maybe I should just do one last check? Yes I should.

Unpack.

Repack.

Okay, I think I'm done. I'm exhausted, but I'm looking forward to living life to the fullest for the next two weeks on Jeju Island! I wrap myself in my blanket and close my eyes. I gradually fell asleep, and for the first time in my life, I was able to sleep soundly and with a smile on my face.


Saturday

I wake up early to get ready and have a light breakfast before going to the airport. Surprisingly, I did not unpacked my belongings right after I woke and that can be considered as an achievement. When I arrived at the airport, I check in my luggage first and then proceed to a nearby coffee shop to buy a drink while waiting to board.

I am not a coffee lover but I don't fancy the bitter taste but most of the coffee shope I went, they usually serve the best hot chocolate. The hot chocolate at this coffee shop is quite pricey but I am not surprised because it is at the airport. Everything at the airport is expensive.

It's time for me to board after 1 hour and 30 minutes of drinking hot chocolate while going through my phone and playing games.  Even though I've traveled by plane many times, I still worry about the worst-case scenario, such as what if the plane explodes. Or what if I trip and fall while trying to board the plane? My palms start to sweat, and my heartbeat quickens.

I think I should try to see a therapist because I don't think this anxiety is normal. 

I put my hand luggage in the compartment and sat down when I arrived at my seat (I moved slowly and cautiously, and even  the stewardess asked me to walk faster hehe). Thank goodness I got a window seat so I don't have to look at the person next to me, plus I really enjoy the sky view when flying.

"Excuse me, can I put my bag here? If it's uncomfortable, I'll adjust my bag" said a soft boy besides me.

I was taken aback as I turned to my left and saw his face. A young, attractive man with tanned skin, a sharp jawline, and a cute nose. 

"Uh yeah sure," I said, snapping out of my daze.

He smiles at me and sits down, and I return my gaze to the window. I can't wait for the plane to take off so I can listen to my playlist with my earphones. Because I'm a little nervous sitting next to such a handsome man.

"My name is Jongin, by the way. Jongin Kim" He suddenly said. 

"Song Hana" I replied.

He smiled and said, "Cute name."  HE IS SO CUTE?!

But I controlled my reaction and smile a little bit and continue staring out the window.

"I hardly never go onboard by myself. I normally travel with my best friend, so travelling alone is a little nerve-wracking" he said.

Can't he just shut up? I mean, not being rude but I am too nervous to say anything or look direct in his eyes!

"Ah I see. I've gone on several trips by myself, so it's not a problem for me." 'I prefer to be alone, so please quit chatting,' I tried to imply. 

Then there was an announcement for us to fasten our seatbelt and soon the airplane depart.

"Are you going on vacation? Are you by yourself?" He asked. He seemed to be genuinely interested. However, I've read on the internet that these questions may be a trap for women, and that if we answer incorrectly, we may be kidnapped. I know I'm being paranoid, but he does appear suspicious, despite his cuteness.

"Yeah, I'm going with a friend but she is already at the hotel waiting for me" I lied.

"Same! My best friend arrived at Jeju Island 2 days ago and he was persistently asked me to come there so here I am, on a flight, alone." He replied with a smile.

"May I ask, how old are you?" I was merely curious about his age. What if he's a minor, and I had a small crush on him? Euw. But what if he's a serial killer? There have been some attractive murderers who have lured ladies.

"I'm 27 and no, I'm not a model. How about you?"

"What? I didn't said you were a model! 25 by the way"

"Haha I was oftenly asked by people whether I am a model or what. 25? You look so young. I thought you were 22 or 23, a university student going on a summer vacation"

"That sounds sketchy you know" 

He burst out laughing. We talked a bit and then I suddenly fell asleep.

Suddenly, someone shaking my shoulder to wake me up. I groggily open my eyes and realize I've been sleeping on Jongin's shoulder. Because I'm so embarrassed, I'm sure I'm as red as tomatoes right now. 

"Oh god. Sorry Jongin, I didn't mean to fall asleep on your shoulder." I bowed my head slightly.

"Its okay, I don't mind and you look tired so I just let you continue sleeping. Hey, I think we could be great friends! If it is okay with you, can we exchange numbers?" He asked politely.

Should I give his number? What if he does something bad with my number? But he seems genuine. But he also looks sketchy with his grin and smirk. But I think this chance only come once and I should give it a try. Maybe we can actually be a good friend. Maybe.

"Sure, give me your phone." I typed in my number and call my phone using his number to save his number.

"So is your friend picking you up?" Jongin asked.

"No, I'm going to the hotel by taxi. My friend was too lazy to pick me up" I replied.

"My friend is picking me up and we can drop you off at your hotel?" He asked.

"No, it's okay. Thank you though." I replied while immediately hailing a taxi. After I tell the taxi driver my hotel, he immediately drive. But what I didn't saw was Jongin staring at me while smirking.


Author's note :

Here's the next chapter! I wanted to update a chapter every day but but this few weeks are my final exams so I was quite busy. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

Thank you for reading my story.