[Chapter 2] Fate

Words Don't Come Easy

On graduation day

"Yahhh, Lee Erae!" a voice pulled Erae out of her thoughts, "stop thinking about Miss Jung and come take photos with us!"

Erae's face flushed a bright pink color, and her eyebrows furrowed. 

"I-I'm not!" she exclaimed defensively, "I'm just spacing out.."

"Yeah, sure."

Erae rolled her eyebrows and she huddled together with her group of friends. They were quite a large group - 10 of them to be exact; Nayeon, Jungyeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Mina, Dahyun, Chaeyoung, Tzuyu and herself. Funnily enough, they only became friends because they were all late on the first day of highschool, and developed a growing hatred for the principal after being lectured for 2 hours on why arriving to school on time was extremely important. Time flies by so fast. It has already been 5 years and now it's time for them to go their separate paths. 

"Get your hands off my Nayeon!" Jungyeon screeched accusingly and slapped away the hand that rested against her behind.

"That's not me, you !" Nayeon retorted and moved forward, her eyes following the hand on Jungyeon's to the culprit, "it's Sana!"

Sana stuck out her tongue and fluttered her eyes innocently, as if she hadn't just molested Jungyeon a couple seconds ago. 

"Ugh, can we just take a photo already?!" Tzuyu cried as she stood back up straight, her knees about to cave in from squatting to match the other girls' height, "we're gonna lose the table we reserved if we're late, so hurry up!!!"

"1..2..3! Say cheese!"

"Cheese!"

A flash blinded the group by luckily everyone managed to keep their eyes open and a smile on their face. After the positive confirmation by the photographer, the girls let out a sigh and dragged their feets away to let the other friendship group take photos as well. Erae was relieved that school was over and had a 3 month break before her University course started, but she couldn't shake off the heavy feeling in her heart. It wasn't her friends she was worried about - the universities were all relatively close to one another, so meeting up wouldn't be a hassle  - it was when she could see Miss Jung again. Being a student, it was difficult and somewhat inappropriate to ask for a teacher's contact so Erae had no options but to go on with her life. Maybe if she became a teacher, she could end up working with Miss Jung in the future...but it was not an option that Erae would like to follow through with. Her dream had always to work in the medical field, specifically as a surgeon, and she wasn't going to let anything or anyone get in way of it. Not even Miss Jung.

"Erae! Come on!" 

"Yeah, I'm coming!" 

With a quick glance back, Erae scanned the sea of people in hopes to see Miss Jung one last time, but to no avail. Just a couple of old science teachers patrolling the area.

***********

"Cheers!"

The loud clanking of glasses echoed the restaurant and the bbq grill burned more fiercly as alcohol splashed into the fire. The group decided to celebrate by eating at a bbq restaurant that included an all-you-can-drink soju bar. Erae locked eyes with Jihyo, and they both shared the same regretful expression on their face. It was probably not a good idea bringing the girls here. Momo and Sana had a drinking contest and had already passed out on the second bottle of peach soju. What a bunch of lightweights, Erae thought. Mina and Tzuyu were what you call angels, who were busy flipping and turning the meat so that everyone else wouldn't need to eat charcoal with their soju. 

"Please! Let me say something!" Nayeon had somehow made her way to the stage where a band was playing, and wrestled the microphone out of the poor band leader's hand, "hello everyone! You probably don't know me but I am going to sing a song for y'all. Ahem...I-"

"Gimme the damn microphone!" Jihyo growled through her teeth and yanked the microphone out of Nayeon's sticky hands before returning it to the band with an apology, "can't you just sit still in your seat?! Do I have to tell Jungyeon to send you home?!"

The threat seems to work as Nayeon whimpered sadly and followed Jihyo back to their table, not minding the other customers who were laughing at her futile attempt.

"God, please give me some strength to not kill these idiots right here..." Erae prayed with her eyes shut and hands clasped together tightly.

When she opened them, her eyes widen.

"Miss Jung?..."

Erae saw a figure that looked like Miss Jung stumble her way into the bathroom, obviously intoxicated to the point where the wall was her only support. 

"I'm going to the bathroom real quick, can you keep and eye on them Jungyeon?"

Jungyeon nodded as Erae stood up, pushing her seat back and making her way to the bathroom. Stepping inside, Erae noticed a figure that was hunched over the sink. The brown locks prevented Erae from seeing the person's face, so she took a step closer and placed her hand on the stranger's shoulder. 

"E-Excuse me..." Erae gave a light squeeze, "are you alright?"

The person lifted their head sightly and turned to face Erae. 

"M-Miss Jung?!" Erae's squealed, "w-w-what are you doing here?!"

"Who..." Miss Jung's voice slurred, her eyes hazy, "O-Oh, Erae...is t-that you?"

"Y-Yeah...it's Erae Miss Jung," Erae mumbled shyly, surprised to see her teacher recognise her in a drunken state.

"Ah! What a surprise to see you here..." Miss Jung muttered tiredly and wrapped her arms around Erae's neck, forcing the student to snake her arms around her waist, "you look adorable, as always..."

Erae bit her lips to suppress a smile but quickly shook her head from any sort of bad imaginations that were entering her brain. 

"U-Um! D-Do you need help getting to your table?" 

No response. 

"Uh, hello? Miss Jung?" Erae shook the girl in her arms lightly and was met with silence, "oh god, Miss Jung, are you asleep?"

Soft breaths and light snores hitting Erae's neck was enough to confirm that. 

"Oh , what the hell do I do now?"