Part III: Not now, not ever.

Spellbound

“Hey, pup” Yena called. Together with Wonyoung, they watches their loving giant spacing out for almost 20 minutes now and they are getting worried, especially when they didn’t received any response.

Ever since the woman went home, Yujin is already spacing out. Like her mind is somewhere in another dimension that she don’t even reacted when her leg bumped into a table and went straight to the living room to rest.

“Wonnie, go to Yujin and check if she’s still breathing” Yena said as she pushed Wonyoung to Yujin— who is sitting at the beanbag opposite from them, completely in trance, eyes looking dead.

Wonyoung then walked closer towards the other and placed her index finger to the Yujin’s nose and check the latter’s breathing cycle. “She’s still breathing,” She said and even more worried now because Yujin didn’t even bulges.

“I feel a disturbance within the force,” Yena said. “Can you nudged her for me? This is getting bad,” She added. Wonyoung tried her best to be as gentle as she possibly can to get Yujin’s sanity back to Earth, but the girl just won’t faze with her daydreaming. So cruising with her last course, she positioned right beside Yujin’s right ear.

Taking a deep breath, Wonyoung screamed out. “EARTH TO AHN YUJIN!”

“Awe! What the hell!” Yujin screamed out.

“Don’t come for me. I tried getting your attention with nudge but you won’t bulge so,” Wonyoung said. “Are you okay? You’ve been spacing out for almost an hour now.”

“Yeah, yeah. Yeah. I think I’m okay. Maybe. I don’t know. Like a little bit, about half-“ To stop Yujin blabbering nonsense, Yena softly threw the slippers to her.

“Aw! Would you stop with the violence? Geez, my head still aches from the incident earlier.”

“And whose fault is that?” Yena aggressively asked back. Apparently, when Yujin went back from Minjoo’s office earlier, she immediately informed Yena about their date and the embarrassment that happened.

Yujin chose to ignore the latter and cross her arms.

“Seriously, Yujin. What’s up with you?” Yena continued. “Are you in some kind of drug or something? And please, stop spacing out. It’s creepy.”

Yujin sighs. She moved to sit properly and stared back and forth at Yena and Wonyoung. “I’m in love with Kim Minjoo and I’m-”

“Okay, okay! Let me just stop you right there. First of all, question number 1, what the ? And question number 2, what the actual , Ahn Yujin?” Yena said, standing up from her seat.

“Why are you so riled up?” Yujin turned her head up to Yena. “I already told you about her right?”

“Well, I thought you’re bluffing! And we made a pact that we’re not going to fall in love until we’re on our 30s!”  Yena said exasperatingly. “And now you’re breaking it? Some kind of friend are you,”

Yujin stand up too. "This woman is different, guys. One of a kind! I’m telling you all." She stressed.

"Oh no!" Yena gasped. "You're completely insane for this girl," She added, putting her right palm on her forehead.

"Yeah. Maybe I am" Yujin said, softly. Completely love-struck.

"No! No! No! You can't be in love with the girl you just met in one night. What happened to you? You're better than this!" The former said while shaking Yujin’s shoulder. “Like seriously Yujin? Have you lost your mind? Because if you do, then I’ll help you find it.”

"What are you even saying?” Yujin fights back. “And to answer your question, yes! I can be in love with Minjoo! Wonyoung tell her"

Wonyoung— who’s taking her time enjoying two bimbos screaming at each other’s faces— said, "No, you can't unnie."

"See? Look at Wonyoung, finally grown up!"

"Augh!" Yujin signed "I swear. This girl is worth it. Trust me! I'm going to court Minjoo"

"No! I won't let my comrade fight in battle without making sure what's in the other end. Let me investigate on her" Yena said, and Yujin immediately got alarmed.

"No! You're not gonna investigate on her!" She retorted.

"Yes, I will. What if she got someone already, huh? Yujin, I will investigate on her and you can't stop me"

“No, you will not!” Yujin intensely exclaimed.

“Yes, I will”

“UNNIE, NO!” The taller woman screamed.

“YUJIN, YES!” And of course, Yena screamed back.

Eyeing each other, with Yujin looking down at Yena— who’s despite the height difference, is currently on the upper hand.

“Okay, go ahead.” Yujin dejectedly said.

***

Next afternoon, Yujin was casually chilling at their living room, playing Yena’s PlayStation5. It’s her rest day today so she have nothing to do since she chose to rest for a while before she goes to action and compose songs again.

“Yow!” Yena yelled as she entered their place, holding pieces of photos she printed after searching Minjoo’s suitors Facebook profiles. “Yujin, you’re in for a treat!”

Yujin paused the game and turned to Yena. She stand up and went closer to the latter. "Huh? What did you find?" She asked as she skimmed the photos that Yena took.

"I found your girl's line of suitors.” She said as she smirks. “Look at this, handsome guy at their work named Hwang Hyunjin. Then, an excellent chef named Kang Hyewon. I saw her personally delivered the food at Minjoo’s office and boy, look at her! She is so gorgeous. We also have Lee Chaeyeon. She’s a professional dancer and I saw her amazingly dancing in front of the SK Ent. Bldg. with a sign board saying ‘For Kim Minjoo’,” Yena continued. “And of course, last but not the least is the CEO of IZ Ent. Kim Chaewon”

"Is this...?"

"Yup. Wonyoung’s ex-girlfriend. I saw her subordinates delivered some flowers at the office, but Minjoo’s assistant rejected it," Yena continued "But that’s not important because what’s important is that if you pursue that woman, your heart is gonna get played like how you play God of War”

“Great?” Yujin curiously asked.

“No, dumb . What do you mean great?” Yena frowns in disgusts. “Easy. She’s easily going to break your heart.” She said, and Yujin sighs.

She sat at their couch and placed her elbow up to her legs, Yujin then rest her chin on her palm while she pondered a little. Realizing what she have to do, she stood up from her seat and stand nearer at Yena— who’s observing the taller girl. "I need to do something.”

"Yeah, you should. Let's go and grab something to drink" Yena muttered.

"I need to borrow your car"

"What? Why?"

"I have to step up my game, Yena." Yujin grabbed Yena’s key from the table and walked out from the house.

"DID YOU HEAR WHAT I JUST SAID?! YAH AHN YUJIN?!" Yena screamed as she stared at Yujin’s retreating figure. "She's gone mad…"

***

I don't know what it is that you've done to me

But it's caused me to act in such a crazy way

Breaking the silence inside her office, an angelic voice followed by acoustic guitar suddenly resonated from the speaker mounted at the four corners of her room. Minjoo don’t remember installing it, so imagine the shock painted on her face when the soothing melody comes on.

Whatever it is that you do when you do what you're doing

It's a feeling that I want to stay

“What in the world…” Minjoo reach for the communication device she normally used to communicate with Nako. “Nako-chan, why there’s a music coming from the speaker?” She asked, which left unanswered. “Nako?” She tried to call again.

“Hmm…” Figuring that the girl won’t answer her, Minjoo decided to go to Nako’s desk. As she stepped outside, she was flooded with more confusion when she saw it Nako-less.

“Where the hell is she?” She whispers to herself with furrowed eyebrows. “Rina, have you seen Nako?” She asked.

Rina looked up and said, “Oh, she said she’ll be at the recording studio A25 in the west wing.” She stated as she divert her attention back to her paperwork.

“Okay, thanks.” Curious about why the girl is at the studio, her feet led her to it.

“Studio A23, Studio A24…” Minjoo halted as she stands in front of the door of Studio A25. “Aha, Studio A25.”

By the time Minjoo opened the door of the studio, she was in utter shock then instantly replaced with awe because instead of finding Nako, she was welcomed by the woman who’s been buggering her mind for the past few days.

“Yujin?” Minjoo called. Yujin smiled then a waves of sweet melodies resonated as she sang. She’s inside the live room, seated on a tall chair, tightly hold onto the guitar with neck-up position as she gently played the strings using her soft fingertips. Minjoo stared a little longer to the latter and that’s when she realized that the song from her room came from here.

The angelic husky voice is from Yujin.

Yujin is singing to her.

‘There goes my ing heart.’

Yujin’s existence alone can make her go weak! But this? This scene playing in front of her very eyes?

I get so weak in the knees

I can hardly speak

I lose all control

And something takes over me

“What’s… this?”

Minjoo remained rooted in her position, completely awestruck as she watches the raven-haired woman play. She didn’t know Yujin can sing as angelic like that. When they were together at the recording studio before, she never heard Yujin sing so this is actually the first time she listen to her singing voice.

She loves her voice. It’s soothing, balance. It has a good clarity and enough emotions.

God, she loves it so much.

And what can she say except that she’s absolutely swooned now. Like Minjoo is already in this pit where her mind is full of Yujin and there’s no going back anymore.

She knows it’s dangerous— to let herself be this weak and enamored by the wonder of Ahn Yujin.
But you all know what?

‘ it.’

Minjoo helplessly surrendered.

“Hey…” Yujin called, startling the astonished Minjoo. “Wait, let me go there.” She placed the guitar to the side and stepped out from the live room. Yujin sauntered her way to Minjoo’s direction and stood closely in front of her.

“What’s this?” The brunette asked, albeit softly. And Yujin grinned.

“Um, surprise?” The latter giggled. “I just thought that, um, I wanted to do something for you. I hope you like it though,”

“Like it?” Minjoo paused. “Yujin, your voice is so good that you could pass an idol now.” She squealed, and Yujin giggled shyly. “Why you never told me you could sing?” She added.

“Because you never ask,” Yujin replied, merrily. “Minjoo-ah…” She called softly.

That’s the moment where Minjoo’s heart beats erratically again, especially when the other woman held both of her two hands delicately.

“Hmm?”

“The first time I asked you was a whack, so I wanted to do it properly this time,” Yujin paused, taking a breath in. “May I have the pleasure to have your time and spend a day with you?” She asked, softly.

“A date?”

“Yes,” Yujin crooned.

And that’s when Minjoo discovered that no matter what Yujin asked, she’ll say ‘yes’ right away. “Of course,” Minjoo smiled. “Wouldn’t mind spend the rest of my day with you, Yujin.”

“It’s settled then.” Yujin said as she pulled Minjoo’s right hand and kissed her knuckle.

Yup, she is so ed.

***

Next day, Yujin surprisingly showed up in their doorstep in the morning, clad with casual jeans and black leather jacket, partnered with white sneakers.

“Ready?” Yujin asked Minjoo and offered her arm for the other to hold. The brunette is wearing white shirt draped with plaid pattered dark brown coat then blue jeans and black sneakers for the bottom.

“Yup. Let’s go.” Minjoo said as she went outside and take Yujin’s waiting arm. “Where are we going?”

Yujin only laughed and whispered. “It’s a secret.” After minutes of walking, they managed to get into the parking lot where Yujin’s car parked. When they found the black sedan, Yujin took the wheel and drove off.

The car ride was so fun— just them singing their heart out with Taylor Swift’s songs. She loves Taylor Swift and she’s happy that Yujin loves her too. Along the ride, she didn’t know that Yujin will take her to the restaurant where she went before, the one where someone gave her a piece of chocolate mousse cake. It turns out Yujin really love this place because of its coziness too.

“So you like this place?”

“Ah yes, it’s really cozy plus good food. Are you okay here? We can move if you don’t want to,”

“No, it’s alright. I like it too.” Minjoo said. “Actually, Yuri and I went to this place before and the owner even gave us a chocolate cake.”

“Oh, really?” Yujin exclaimed. “The food is great right?”

“Yup.”

After deciding what to eat, they called out for the staff and gave their desired orders. While waiting for food, they decided to talk about their work.

“So how did they react to the song?” Yujin asked.

“They loved it! They didn’t say anything or request some changes. They were really satisfied and they are amazed when I told them that you actually helped me with it,”

“Really?” Yujin asked excitedly. “I’m glad that they liked it.”

“Yup. They told me that they will put your name in the credit since technically, you’re part of that piece” Minjoo said. “Are you okay with that?”

“Yes, of course. I don’t mind.” She said, and Minjoo smiled.

“How ‘bout you? I never got a chance to ask you about your recent work.”

“Nothing much these past few days. I just finished EOM new song so, rest for a while.”

“Ah, that. I actually heard about it from Eunbi-unnie. She even said that they let you pitched in ideas to their MVs?”

 “Yeah. I was actually shocked because I’m just a rookie, no way that they will let me do that, but they did, which I’m grateful for.”

“Well, you’re great though. Rookie, yes, but still great nonetheless,”

“Thank you,” Yujin paused, flushed. “I’m working on a new song right now, by the way. I got inspired when we were producing the song” She said, softly.

“Really? I would like to hear it!” Minjoo exclaimed excitedly.

“You do?” The taller girl beamed.

Minjoo flashed a soft smile. “Yes, of course. I might help you finish it, if you let me.”

“Of course I will. Wouldn’t mind having skilled gorgeous girl working with me again” She said as she flashes Minjoo a wink. After almost thirty-minutes of talking, their food finally arrived at their table, though it’s not something they didn’t expect.

“Here’s your food,” Said by the waiter.

“Wait, we didn’t order this much food,” Minjoo said as she watched them placing different type of cuisine in their table.

“Take it as complimentary for gracing our humble restaurant with your beauty again, Miss Kim.”

“Oh, Hyewon…”

“Hello, I hope you will like all these foods.” Hyewon said.

“Ah, yeah. But this is quite a lot.” Minjoo eyed the girl sitting in front of her, whose face is filled with confusion and looking at the chef standing beside their table.

“Like I said, don’t worry about anything ‘cause it’s on the house. Just enjoy it,” Hyewon paused as she took Minjoo’s hand and placed a soft kiss on her knuckle then smiled, which makes the brunette quite uncomfortable and the tall girl even more confuse and a little bit pissed.

“Anyways, the foods getting cold so let’s eat!” Hyewon said as she shamelessly took the seat beside them.

“Uh, excuse me, but we didn’t invite you.” Yujin, who’s been silent the whole time, said it as the realization finally hit her. When she saw the woman suddenly barged in, she thought that the latter’s familiar. She tried her best remembering it and turns out, the woman is the one Yena’s talking about. ‘I didn’t know she was the owner of the restaurant.’ Yujin thought.

“Yes, I know. That’s why I’m inviting myself. Come on now,” Hyewon said as she placed big meat to Minjoo’s plate. If she’s not weirded out by the whole situation, she will devour that meat. “Hyewon, I think you’re mistaken. We’re on a date right now, and no offense, but you’re ruining it” She said.

“Oh,” Hyewon put down the utensils and sighs. “Okay. But before I let you go with this buffoon, can I just ask something?” Hyewon said, and Yujin’s even more perplexed.

“Okay…” Minjoo was caught off guard when Hyewon suddenly kneeled her one knee in front of her. “What are you doing?”

“Miss Kim, I’m in love with you.”

“You what?!” Both Minjoo and Yujin said in unison.

“I said, I am in love with you,” Hyewon paused. “I don’t how it happened, but I just woke up and your face is all over my head, which is kinda weird because usually, I think about what to eat for breakfast first when I open my eyes in the morning,” Hyewon professed as she taking a little bit closer to Minjoo, and the poor woman keeps moving away to this complete madness. Who confesses in the busy restaurant?

“But yeah, that is that. So amidst of all people eating right now, including doofus here, and also the beloved food, would you like to marry me?”

“Okay, right. Um, we’re gonna go now because this is getting weird.” Minjoo said as she tugged Yujin arms to take her outside.

“Miss Kim, you haven’t answered me yet!” Hyewon yelled out, watching Minjoo and Yujin runaway towards the exit. “Hey doofus! Take care of her!”

“I will!” Yujin screamed out as they stepped outside the restaurant. She just let herself be dragged by the brunette. While staring at her back, Yujin can’t help to giggle, and Minjoo heard that. She halted and turned around to look at the giggling woman. “What’s funny?” She asked, with threatening voice.

Minjoo is obviously freaking out right now because she’s starting to believe that all of the accusations that Hitomi said was true. There’s just no way in hell that Hyewon is in love with her, just like that. But then there’s Ahn Yujin laughing like a psycho.

“It’s just funny to me that she called me doofus which is Yena’s nickname to me in 10th grade, no biggie.” Yujin said, still giggling.

“Can you stop?”

“Okay, I’m sorry. Why are you mad?” The taller woman asked as she reached up to place the strand of Minjoo’s hair behind her ear.

“I am not mad, I am annoyed. I just got proposed to in the middle of our lunch by some chef extraordinaire, and you’re here, laughing.”

“Can’t blame her, I mean I would probably do the same,” Yujin said, nonchalantly. And of course, the good young Kim Minjoo flushes at that. “What?” She asked, timidly. “So you’re saying if you also saw someone, let’s say— as pretty as me— you will propose to them?”

“No. I won’t,” Yujin continued, taking both of Minjoo’s hands and flashed the girl a with a heart stopping smile. “I told you before right? I’m not interested to them, only to you.” She said as she leaned even closer to the other. Yujin brushed her finger to Minjoo’s chin, causing a mild to the brunette’s cerebrum. “Come on, let’s go somewhere else”

Yujin grabbed her hands and take her somewhere, probably cloud nine, Minjoo don’t know. She just let the taller woman. However, they are casually walking to 23rd street— where Yujin’s favorite tteokbokki place is located— when suddenly a group of street dancers stop them.

They are beyond clueless. Especially when one of dancer took Minjoo’s hand and brought her to the center.

“Yah! Where are you taking her–“ Yujin could only yell while she watches Minjoo being taken by the dancers. They let her sit at the chair, positioned at the center, as they continued to dance.

A flash mob is definitely happening.

But for whom?

Though Minjoo do not give a about that. All she care about is how is going to escape this chaos ensuing right in front of eyes? Not gonna lie, she watches in amusement as estimated 20 plus of people dancing to some pop music that she’s utterly not aware of.

Minjoo realized that she left Yujin and her eyes immediately search for her. Luckily, she’s tall and pretty that she immediately saw the taller woman— surprisingly looking at her too. The taller girl apologetically smiled at her, Minjoo could only smiled back with same notion.

Almost three minutes had passed, Minjoo thought they are already done; until a deafening sound ringed to the whole ground, gaining more attentions from other people. She squints her eyes towards the figure appearing way too far away from where she is.

It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do

Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you

Suddenly, a blonde woman dressed in hiphop clothes walked in. And Minjoo knows her well. Chaeyeon — she’s the girl who performed ‘Chivalry is Dead’ in front of her before while she’s trying to go to grab some chicken. The woman is such a good dancer, Minjoo is not going to deny it. She danced like she don’t have any bone in her body by the way she moved. After ten minutes of torment, Chaeyeon is already in front of her.

“Hello, Minjoo.” She greeted with a smile plastered on her face. “It’s nice to see you again.”

“H-hi…” Minjoo paused. “Um, Chaeyeon? What is this?” She asked as she looked around, seeing lots of curious and anticipating eyes staring to their direction.

“Did you like it?”

“H-Huh?”

“Did you like my surprise? It’s for you,” She said.

“For me?”

“Yup.”

“O-oh, umm, yeah. I like it. You danced well.”

“Thanks. I’ve got one more surprise though,”

“I think I had enough of the surprises. Thank you very much,” Minjoo stand up from her sit, but Chaeyeon still stopped her.

“Just one more, please?” She insisted. “This will be quick.”

“Okay”

 Just when she thought nothing could surprise her more after Hyewon’s proposal, Chaeyeon’s plan was even more shocking.

 A huge sign of ‘Will you marry me, Kim Minjoo?’ showed up in the middle of the street, looking massive and proud. Minjoo is still registering the shameless proposal in front of her when Chaeyeon suddenly knelt down too.

“Kim Minjoo, like what I said, I’ve always been captivated by your beauty, ever since I saw you walking out in the store. From then on, I’ve always wanted you to be my muse. And honestly, I wouldn’t mind dancing million times just for you to say yes,” She paused, and Minjoo is malfunctioning. “Will you marry me?”

‘No ing way.’

Yujin, on the other hand, is confused too. This is the second time Minjoo got proposed in a day. She looked at the latter and she saw her face filled with discomfort and panic. Noticing that the girl might having internal breakdown, Yujin walked closer to her.

“Okay, enough with the jokes. My girl and I will go now, thank you.” Yujin didn’t wait for anyone, she grabbed Minjoo’s hand and walked away from the scene.

“Wait, hey!” Chaeyeon screamed out, watching the two walk away.

The producer is still completely in trance because of what happened earlier. Her mind is definitely filled with things that Hitomi talked about. She just cannot believe that it’s happening right in front of her eyes, and she doesn’t know what to do.

They walked and walked until they arrived to Yujin’s favorite tteokbokki place.

“Oy, Yujin-ah”

“Hello, Seulgi-unnie.” As they entered to the establishment, Yujin greeted the owner. She’s been hanging out in the said place since she was a high-school so the people there already knew her. She guided Minjoo, still gently clutching with her hand and let her sit at her usual table.

Yujin observed the other girl. Minjoo must be beyond caught off guard as she still spacing out to nothingness, and Yujin wanted to pinch her cheeks because how can someone zoning out looked exactly like a defeated kitten? So she did that. She pinched Minjoo’s cheeks, bringing the girl back to reality.

“Y-Yujin…”

“Hey, are you okay?” She asked, concernedly.

“Umm- no…” Minjoo paused. “I’m sorry about what happened earlier. Honestly, I don’t know her nor Hyewon that much. I just met them for like 2 times, so I don’t know why they are proposing to me.” She whispered, thought deep inside she knows why. Despite that she’s still doubting, she can’t help but to think about the curse. It’s too abrupt and too bizarre to be true and same goes to the proposal she receives, but here we are.

“There’s nothing to say sorry for. It’s not your fault that people fell in love with your charms right away that they are proposing to you,” Yujin giggled, trying to lift up Minjoo’s mood. She can’t stand seeing that sad look filling up Minjoo’s face.  All she wants for the girl is to be happy and smiling always.

Luckily, it is a success because Minjoo chuckled. “I don’t think that’s about it.” Minjoo intoned as she turned and looked around the place — it’s busy and steamy, but Minjoo loved it. She loves the smell of good food and the joy circulating around as the people enjoyed their food. It’s even lovelier knowing that she have a hot date right in front of her; flashing the brunette with affectionate grin. “So this is the place huh?”

“Yup. This is the one. This place witnessed my most rewarding days and unfortunate days. I go here when I’m happy because I passed my exam, or when I’m sad because I didn’t win the competition. This placed became my own comfort zone,” Yujin says as she hold Minjoo’s hand again.

She loves the feeling of Minjoo’s hand. Soft and warm. And she wouldn’t mind holding it forever.

“Thank you” The brunette muttered.

“For what?”

“For taking me here. This is such an important place for you and I am happy that you let me experienced it. This is nice,” Minjoo smiled and Yujin smiled back with the same softness in her eyes.  

Later on, their food finally arrived at the table. Amidst the deafening background, Yujin and Minjoo spend their sweet time enjoying the whole meal. This time, no proposal happened. Instead, they are getting to know about each other more by sharing anecdotes of their life— in Minjoo’s defense, it’s probably one of the happiest meal she ever had in her life.

Figuratively, seems like the gods is not with them today because just when they are about to leave the place after eating heartily, a news flashes in the 60-inch TV mounted on the wall across them.

“Along the streets of Seoul, there’s a hopeless romantic needed to go to the depths of Earth just to ask their girl out and one of them is Kim Chaewon. Kim Chaewon is the CEO of IZ Ent. — who just spent thousands asking for a mysterious girl named Minjoo, out in a date. An invitation was posted in a form of billboard, saying ‘Minjoo-ah, it would be my honor to have a date with you. Love, Kim CW’ Simple as that, but already romantic as it is. Will ‘Minjoo’ agree?”

“What the .” Minjoo uttered.

“Hey, that’s just right across the street.” Seulgi said. Both of them turned their heads on her, actually all the people in the restaurant did. Eager to witness the ‘sweet’ gesture, they all went out to see the billboard.

And yup, the billboard was enormous. Almost as wide as a half court.

“Damn, that’s bold.” One of the customers looking at the said billboard said.

Yujin turned her head to the girl beside her. ‘This is the third time’. She watches Minjoo’s eyes frightened just by looking at the billboard.

“I don’t mean to catch you off guard more than I already did, so I’m sorry about that.” A voice suddenly resounded from behind them both, causing Minjoo to jump in shock. Chaewon stood right beside Minjoo which is the other side where Yujin is standing.

“Hi, Minjoo-ah”

“M-Miss Kim, what is this?”

“I know you’re not going to respond to me if I asked you out in e-mail, so I thought this would probably work,” Chaewon said cheekily, and Yujin is annoyed.

She never expected their date will turn out like this. Minjoo just received three proposal by three different people within the day. She thought she works hard, but damn, aren’t Minjoo’s other suitors works harder?

“You could have just asked me personally!” Minjoo exclaimed, which a wrong move because that just gained the attention of people surrounds them.

“Aren’t that Kim Chaewon?”

“Oh, that’s her”

Words they keep hearing.

‘This is bad. This is BAD’

“That’s what I’m actually planning right now,” Chaewon paused. For the third time today, Minjoo along with Yujin witnessed another person sliding down to one knee and grasped the brunette’s left hand. “Minjoo-ah, since we’re already here. I wanted to ask you something that I’ve been meaning to ask these past few days since the first time I saw you,” Chaewon started.

To say that Minjoo is nervous is understatement. She’s anxious, embarrass, annoyed and many more. If she heard that word one more time, Minjoo is going to faint. “W-what?” She uttered.

“I know this is abrupt, but will you marr—“

“Chaewon?”

They all turned their heads to the person where the calling came from and there they saw Wonyoung standing few feet away from them.

“Wonyoung?” Three of them uttered in unison. Chaewon stood up from kneeling and divert her gaze to Wonyoung.

“What…” Wonyoung uttered softly. When she saw the news in the TV, she immediately drive off to where it is. She thought getting her heart broken by seeing the billboard is enough. But god, she was wrong. Because the sight she’s looking at right now is even more painful like her heart is getting crushed all over again.

‘We’re not together anymore, but why does it still hurts so much?’

All of them just end up staring at each other when Yujin decided to break the ice.

“Wonyoung-ah, what are you doing here?” Yujin asked.

“I-I was just looking at something…” Wonyoung said as she avoided Chaewon’s gaze.

‘I shouldn’t have come here.’ Wonyoung thought. She looked pathetic. She thought there’s still hope for them and that Chaewon just broke up with her to have peace but no. All she finds is the woman of her dreams is in love with someone else.

Yujin stared at the CEO with anger. They’re really not that close. They met for like 3 to 4 times, the first time her sister introduce her girlfriend to the taller girl and whenever Wonyoung invite the girl to their apartment. There’s one night, however, that she still can’t forget; when Wonyoung came home drunk and cried all night, continuously asking and whispering to herself what gone wrong and Yujin could only console and comfort her. But god, she’s so mad that she almost went to the woman’ office and punch her right there, but she stopped herself. Yujin doesn’t want to get herself involved and get the situation worse.

“Well, Minjoo and I will go now. We’re still not done with our date. Chaewon, thank you for this, but it’s clearly not happening.” She said to the confused CEO with grimaced. “So bye, we’ll take our leave now.”

Yujin grabbed Minjoo’s hand (who is by the way, lost in her thoughts again. Her mind is probably somewhere in the Jupiter or something) and they went away. Thinking that having Minjoo in public places is not going to work, Yujin thought of somewhere else where they can be alone.

“We’re here.” Yujin said as she pulled into the curb.

“Where are we?”

“My home.” Yujin smiles. She stepped out from the car, walked around to the other side and opened the car door for the woman. “My lady?” She said as she offered her hand with delighted grin.

Minjoo then take the latter’s anticipating hand and weakly smiled back. She let Yujin again guide her inside her home. When they entered, she was surprised by how big it is and amazed by the design of the whole house or more like a villa.

“Where’s the other people?” Minjoo asked.

“I live alone.”

“Alone? But your place is huge.”

“That’s why I usually hang-out at my friend’s place or sometimes Wonyo’s condo,” Yujin paused. “Sit here. I’ll get something to drink”

“Can I come? I’m scared.”

“Yeah, sure.” Yujin giggled. Two of them walked towards Yujin’s kitchen, which is also huge. By the looks of it, in Minjoo’s perspective looks like the woman can cook. Plus points.

“OJ or Water?” Yujin asked, and Minjoo grinned. “Champagne.” She said.

“Copy that.”

Minjoo took a seat at the tall chair at the centered kitchen island. “Here.” Yujin said as she placed the glass of champagne in front of the former and took a seat right beside her.

“Yujin?”

“Hmm?”

“I’m sorry about today. Our date was ruined.” The brunette muttered so softly, and the taller woman slightly smiled.

“Honestly, I’m confused. Like hella. But like I said, I think it’s understandable. Because I would probably do the same. With an intelligence and beauty like you, who wouldn’t want to marry you?” Yujin said nonchalantly, completely oblivious the effect she had on the other girl who’s blushing, big time.

Minjoo cleared . “I don’t think it’s really about that.” She confided. “The situation I’m in right now— is very complicated. It’s the first time I experienced it and I don’t know what to do…”  

Yujin took Minjoo’s hand and caressed it. “Well, life has the habit of offering us new challenges so far beyond any of our expectations. It yeah, but we don’t really have any choice except either face it and back up or completely run away and it will haunt you forever.” She said with gentle look on her face she could possibly give, and Minjoo was left mesmerized.

“You’re intelligent, have I ever told you about that?” She said and the other woman just giggled in joy.

“Thank you,” She replied gently while caressing her thumb across the back of Minjoo’s hand. “Minjoo-ah…”

“Hmm?”

“I don’t think I have mentioned this to you once, but I guess now is the perfect time for you to know it.” Yujin breathed as she glanced at Minjoo’s eyes and concentrate on it.

“I like you…”

Startled by the sudden confession, Minjoo asked in disbelief. “W-What?”

“I like you,” Yujin paused. “I like how you were so passionate about your art; I like the way you put your heart into each of your pieces, not because of the expectations of people upon you, but because you like creating it; even, fell in love with it— When we spent our time together, experiencing complete joy finishing your song, and even the first time I met you, I already knew— that I like you; like how every songs requires notes, and every beat completes the rhythm. I like you not just as a whole, but for every part that makes you…” She paused yet again. “…you. I really adore you, Minjoo.” She professed, taking the hand of the other and moved a little closer.

Just like what she felt on their first dance, Minjoo could feel the intensity of how much she could kiss the taller girl right in that moment. All she just have to do is to shift and move closer.

And so she did that.

But before their lips could touch,

Minjoo catches a glimpse of photographs stick into the refrigerator behind Yujin.

The taller girl was left confused when Minjoo suddenly moved away and stood up from her seat, walked to her refrigerator. She saw the brunette grabbed a photograph which she recognized well.

“Yujin…” Minjoo called as she stared at the image.

It was Yujin.

Together with a woman.

In the Seoul Tower.

“W-What’s… this?”

“Hmm?” Yujin hummed in question then moved to Minjoo’s side. “Oh, that? That’s when I went to Seoul Tower with someone special to me. She actually asked me to have ours sealed, so she did buy one and that’s the lock I’m holding” Yujin paused. “Yup, that blue one.” She smiles. “But it’-“

“No…”

Minjoo was utter surprise, bewildered and pained. A lot of pain. Because the lock looks exactly like the one she destroyed.

‘No, this cannot be…’

“You okay, Min?”

“Uh-y-yeah… I gotta go…” Minjoo divert her attention as she tried not look at Yujin’s eyes and fix her stuff.

“Wait, why?” Yujin is confused. “Where are you going?”

“I-I just need to fix something.”

“B-But— I thought…” Yujin paused. “Did I say something wrong?”

“No.” Minjoo immediately retorted. “No, you didn’t do anything. You are actually amazing. You made me so happy. But…” She paused. “You don’t like me, Yujin.” She whispered weakly as she walked into the door.

Yujin immediately clutched wrist, stopping the woman from walking away. “What are you talking about?”

“All of this. This emotions, affection you have for me is a lie. And I’m sorry…” She paused. “I’m really sorry…”

And she walked away.

Leaving the taller girl confused, mad but mostly hurt.

“Minjoo-ah… Why do you keep running away from me?”

***

“Hitomi!” Minjoo yelled when Hitomi finally answered the call.

“What?”

“It’s true! Oh my god, it’s true!”

“What is it?”

“Three people just proposed to me today!”

“Yikes! Really?”

“Yes, and Yujin is one of the owners! That’s why what she said about proposing to me make sense now!”

“Wait, what? Are you sure?”

“Yes,” Minjoo paused. “What do I have to do Tomi? Please, help me.”

“Okay, okay. I will. Um, where are you right now?”

“I’m at the ***. I ran away from Yujin’s house when I discovered that she’s one of the owners.”

“Okay, you stay on the area where there’s lot of people that can see you. I’ll fetch you there then we can go to someone that could probably help you with it. Okay?”

“Okay”

“Alright. Wait for me”

After 20 minutes of waiting, Hitomi finally arrived and they drove off. After one hour of silent car ride, Hitomi parked the car in front of a music store.

“What are we doing here?”

“The owner of the store is the one I’m talking about,” Hitomi turn the engine off and went out. Minjoo stepped out too and followed the girl on the way inside the store.

“Miss Kim?” Hitomi called as they stood around the counter.

‘Miss Kim?’

“Oy, Hitoma! Long time no see,” An old woman suddenly appeared in where they are. “And who’s the beautiful woman with you?”

“Miss Kim, this is Minjoo. Minjoo, Miss Kim Taeyeon. The one I’ve been telling you about,” Hitomi said. Minjoo smiled at the elderly woman and Taeyeon smiled back to her.

“What you’ve been telling to her about me, Hitoma?”

Hitomi cast a quick glance at her friend. “Minjoo destroyed the locks.”

The excitement in Taeyeon’s face immediately disappear the moment she heart it. “Oh…” Taeyeon momentarily looked down and sighs. “I see…”

“I’m very sorry to disturb you. Honestly, I don’t know anything about the curse, so I’m really surprised when Hitomi told me about it. I didn’t even believe her at first, until 4 people proposed to me today.”

“Alright. This will be a lot so why don’t we head into the back and have some tea?” Taeyeon asked and the other girls nods. They walked towards the direction where Taeyeon came from and once they entered, they were welcomed with cozy living room.

“Take a seat. What do you want? Tea or coffee?”

“Water would suffice” Hitomi said.

“Coffee is fine.” Minjoo replied.

“Okay, wait for a moment.” After preparing the water and coffee, Taeyeon walked back to the girls. “Here you go”

“Thank you” Minjoo grasped the cup and sip into it.

“I don’t know why there’s a curse in that tower,” Taeyeon paused as she sip from her coffee too. “But I do know the way to be free from it.”

“How?”

“You just have to give the locks back to the owners.” Taeyeon continued. “As you may know by now, I once experienced it. I had a lover before and her name is Miyoung. She was everything I dreamt of. I proposed to her on that tower and sealed our engagement with padlock of love. It’s actually the first love lock.” She softly chuckled, reminiscing the moments when she proposes to Miyoung. “We were a happy couple. And it was days before our wedding when things went all south.”

“One night, I was in a bar with my friends to celebrate the ending of my solitary. I got so drunk that I was not aware of my surroundings. Then I woke up next morning, in a random room, with some random woman in my bed. In short, I cheated on my fiancé.” She paused. It will always be the night she don’t want to remember because that was the night where she just made the biggest mistake of her life.

“Due to immense guilt, I told her the truth and she broke off the engagement. And it’s not like I was expecting any less, I know she’s going to leave me. I just had a little hope that she won’t, but she still did. And because of that, I drowned myself in alcohol and pain. I went back to the tower, heavily intoxicated, then broke our lock.”

“Next morning when I woke up, I knew something was wrong because I received texts messages from her, saying she loves me. I am still clueless that it’s already cursed so I was happy. We met up, made up and went on with our lives. Until I realized, I never— not even once— saw the fragment of my sin in her eyes. She never mentioned that she forgave me nor she understands. Miyoung just came to me that day and said, she loves me. Not still, despite of it all.”

Minjoo can see the tears starting to fill Ms. Kim’s eyes as she stands up. The musician walked in their direction and stood in front of the window beside the couch. The bright light coming from the moon hits her face, letting the other two see the melancholy plastered on the woman’s face.

‘It must have hurt her so much.’

She watches as Ms. Kim holds her necklace and caress it. Minjoo tried to look closely and she realized that Ms. Kim is wearing a pendant of key, which she can only assumes as the key for the padlock she and her lover had.

“That’s when I’m starting to have a hunch. One day, out of the blue, she proposed to me— which is weird on my side because the pain in her eyes when she broke off the engagement was overflowing that I never thought of her doing it.”

“While we’re in the bliss moment, I remembered our lock that I kept in my purse after I broke it. Then, I gave it to her. Suddenly, her look of love changes and that’s when I knew. She was bewitched. After knowing that, we had a closure. But not to get back together again, but to separate ways. Officially this time. Because I hurt her, and it’s impossible for her to love me again.”

Taeyeon cast a glance at the now teary-eyed Minjoo and smiled. “Then, I completely let her go.”

“So if there’s any chance that one of the owners unexpectedly the person you love but doesn’t love you back,” Taeyeon paused. “Don’t.”

“It’s better to be loved for all you are, not because of some stupid spell.”

***

Next day, Minjoo called Hyewon, Chaeyeon and Chaewon to her office. Not to give their love back, but to return the locks.

“I know all of you are confuse why you are here. I just want to give something that I stole”

“What is it?” Chaewon asked.

“This one” Minjoo showed the locks on her hand.

“Why do you have that?”

“I got drunk one night and I broke your locks. And now, all three of you are suddenly in love with me.” Minjoo can see the confusion filled their faces. She’s glad that this is going to be over soon. She don’t want them to suffer anymore.

“So now, I am giving it all back. Hoping that it will wake all of you up,” Minjoo moved closer in front of Hyewon. “I think this belongs to you.” She gave the coral colored lock and suddenly, Hyewon’s expression changes.

“I remember sealing this into that tower because my friend and I are both drunk.” Hyewon said and smiled at the former. “Thank you, Minjoo.”

Minjoo smiled back and moved to Chaeyeon. “And this is yours, right?” Gave the powder blue lock and just like Hyewon’s, her face suddenly changes.

“Hah, strange.” Chaeyeon said. “Thank you, Minjoo. Though I am serious what I said, you’re really pretty.” She jested and Minjoo can’t help but to chuckle.

“And lastly,” Minjoo moved to Chaewon— who’s staring at her with bewilderment. “Here”

Unlike the other two, Chaewon’s eyes changes from admiration to faint sorrow. The CEO stared at the lock and it seems like a memory flashed before her eyes.

“I’m sorry,” Minjoo said. “But I think, it would be better to get back to her, Miss Kim.”

“Don’t you think so? Do you think she will accept me?”

“I don’t think, I’m sure she will.” Minjoo said as she remember the love and pain hidden beneath Wonyoung’s eyes when they met before.

“Anyways, now that you three get back your locks. You all are free to go. Again, I’m very sorry for all of this.” Minjoo said apologetically.

“Will you be okay, Miss Kim?” Hyewon asked, and Minjoo smiled sadly.

“Yes.” She lied.

“I just need to return the last one.”

And finally freed her from this illusion called love.

***


 

Yujin is running for her life— no scratch that— for the love of her life. Earlier, she was together with Yena in a bar when suddenly, Minjoo called and asking her to meet up in Seoul Tower along the padlock of love. Right after the call ended, she ran away.

However, before she could ran across the street, a car almost ran over her. She was about to curse out loud when she saw driver.

“Must you be?!” She screamed.

“Just because you’re the track & field champion for four years straight doesn’t mean you could run 1 kilometers and expect yourself to arrive, breathing!” Yena yelled back. “You’ve got a whole Maserati, you dumb !”

Yujin hastily entered the car. “BUT THAT DOESN’T ALSO GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO ALMOST KILL ME!”

“WELL I WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO DO IT, BUT THEN I REMEMBER YOU LEFT ME IN THAT BAR AND NOW YOU COST ME 68K WON FOR TWO ENTRANCE FEE!”

“I WILL PAY FOR IT! JUST ING HIT THE PEDAL AND GO!

Wait for me, Minjoo.

***

When they arrived at the place, Yujin immediately went out and ride the cable car to the tower and when she arrived at the tower, her eyes searched for her woman.

She saw Minjoo standing with her back facing to Yujin and looking at the view of Seoul.

“Hey…” Minjoo greeted when she felt Yujin standing beside her.

“Hey, hi. Why’d you invite me here?”

“I need to tell you something,”

“Go on.”

Minjoo turned and face Yujin. “I know it sounds unbelievable, considering all the things I’ve done and after walking away from you again and again but I like you too. I really do, and I wanted to be with you because you’re such an amazing person and you made me so happy even for a moment.” She paused.

“But I cannot have you like this, Yujin. I cannot lie to you, to us. So I’m setting you free…”

“W-What? Free from what?” Yujin stuttered with confusion. Minjoo gave the lock she’s been clutching between her hands since the girl showed up. “Why do you have this?”

“I-uh, I broke it. That night that we met, I kinda got drunk and went here, and then I happened to broke your lock, along with three more locks…”

“Oh…” Yujin is beyond bewildered right now. “Okay, umm– first off, I am genuinely confused… Why are you giving me this?”

The brunette stared at the confused face of the raven-haired girl and if not for the main reason why they’re in that situation, Minjoo might end up kissing those scowl away. “Giving that lock to you would set you free from the spell, Yujin. It would set you free from the lie that you are infatuated with me,” Minjoo paused. “I’m very sorry. I know it’s hard believe, I didn’t believe at first too, but here we are. Nevertheless, I also wanted to say thank you. Being with you for the past few weeks has been the happiest days of my life, so far.” She giggled albeit there’s a tears starting to bubble up in her eyes. “And I will treasure it, dearly. So I hope you will be happy now, okay?”

“I wish nothing but happiness for you” Minjoo said as she started to walk away.

Yujin, despite the confusion, gather her thoughts and softly tugged Minjoo’s arms to prevent her from walking away again.

“W-Wait… I still don’t get the reason why I cannot love you.” She turned Minjoo’s body in front of her and moved one step closer.

“What?” Minjoo tilted her head as she stared at the other with narrowed eyes and furrowed eyebrows. “Yujin, you’re not in love with me!” She exclaimed.

“Yes, I am.”

“No, you’re not!”

“Kim Minjoo, yes I am!” Yujin stressed. “I am in love with you!” She enunciated and this time whilst holding Minjoo’s shoulders with her both hands and their faces are five inches closer.

Minjoo can feel every breath that Yujin take and again, if not for the situation, she might go ahead and ignore everything that’s starting to consume her.

“Y-You are…?”

“Yes! I don’t know why you keep on saying that I'm in some kind of spell or something, that-that you think I am crazy?!” She stammered. “But I'm not okay? I'm not"

"Wait… you actually love me?"

"Minjoo…” Yujin called and if there’s one thing Minjoo could make up for every time Yujin called for her name, it’s that she will never hesitate to answer her call time and time again.

The raven-haired girl removed her hands and stood up straight. Her brown orbs found Minjoo’s ones and felt soft again. Right then, she doesn’t know where’d she got the strength, but Yujin moved even more closer and placed the palm of her hands to Minjoo’s cheek and caress it so dearly like it some kind of treasure she wanted to keep and protect forever. “Ever since I met you, you never went away from my mind. I can't eat or sleep without thinking about your smile. And you know what? Maybe… maybe you’re right. Maybe I really am crazy. Because from the moment I laid my eyes on you— everything and every instance has been about you…” She paused. “I am crazy about you." She whispered.

"So please, stop with all this spell thing that you keep telling me"

"Because if there's only one spell that I am under...”

Yujin stared at Minjoo’s lips for a moment then back to her glimmering eyes. “It’s by you…”

“I love you, Minjoo.” She stated and this time, she didn’t wait for Minjoo and kissed the girl.

And she kissed her, like how the taller girl write songs. Smooth, gentle and passionate.

Minjoo’s heart fell little harder, but she felt like flying. Like every part of her body that once was dead, became alive again. All because of the burning sensation in every of Yujin’s soft lips.

Once they realized they are already out of breathe, Minjoo slowly moved away. “You really love me…”

“Yes, I do.”

“But the spell, the lock…”

“Minjoo, I really don’t know what you’re talking about. Because I did say we bought one, but that doesn’t mean we locked it into the tower.” Yujin confessed, and Minjoo briskly turned up— utterly confused.

“What?” Minjoo asked. “So this is not yours?!”

“No, it’s not.”

“Then, who owns this?”

“I don’t know!” Yujin exclaimed. “But that’s not what’s important now. What’s important is us. You and me, right now.” She held Minjoo’s cheeks and caressed it gently that the other woman closed her eyes. “I love you, Minjoo.”

Minjoo smiled and said, “I love you too, Yujin.”

Yujin smiled back and said, “Please, don’t run away from me again.”

“Not now, not ever…” Minjoo moved closer and sealed the promises they are willing to keep with the magic of a kiss.

***

“So that’s what happened.” Minjoo said to Nako. They are in the office right now and the brunette thought of telling it to the other girl. Of course, when her friends learned about their relationship, they didn’t stop until they squeeze out the story from Minjoo.

“Damn, so turns out Yujin is not the owner?” Nako asked, Minjoo nods. “Then, who’s the owner of that?” She said as she stared at the blue lock in the brunette’s table.

“I don’t know too.” Minjoo replied and went back to her paper works.

“Hey, Minjoo.” The two females looked up to the door and saw Hyunjin, smiling.

“What are you doing here?” Minjoo asked.

“You know, the usual. Are you free later?”

“Hwang, how many times do I have to say? I’m not going out with you. Can you just bother other girls? From what I remember you are scared of me. Why suddenly took interest in me…” Minjoo’s voice became smaller towards the end and she paused as the realization hits her. She glanced at her friends who’s also looking at her with wide eyes.

“IT’S HYUNJIN?”