Part I: The Start of Inevitable Curse

Spellbound

Year 1984

            At the top of beautiful Namsan Seoul Tower, is a lovely couple having their sweet time as they professed their undying love for each other. It was just meant to be a simple candlelight dinner, but because of the oozing romance that envelopes them, it just felt so right, so perfect— that one of the two got inspired to finally ask the woman she loves a hand in marriage.

“Miyoung-ah,” the anxious woman called, and Miyoung, turned to look at her.

“Hmm?”

Clouded with nervousness, the other thoughtlessly stand up from her seat and moved to the other side, where Miyoung seats. She knelt to the ground then grasp both of Miyoung’s hands and hold it dearly.

“I love you…” She whispered, albeit loud enough for Miyoung to hear. “And I want to keep loving you, be with you, until we grow old; showing and giving you the greatest faithful love that you deserve. Miyoung-ah… In front of the beautiful city of Seoul, and under the peaceful vast night sky, witnessed by the thousands gleaming stars…” She paused. “Marry me, my love?” She speaks fondly to the other.

Tears welled up into the Miyoung’s eyes as she admire the woman she loves kneeling before her. Her heart beats erratically while her lungs is lacking of air as she almost forgot breath for a while.

She exhaled, finally taking in what the other entails from her words.

Miyoung opened and said, “Yes! Million times yes!”

“Really?!” The other sputtered as she stands up.

“Of course, I’ll marry you, Taeyeon-ah!” Miyoung exclaimed, she instantly embraced her fiancé tightly. “You’re all I ever needed, Taeyeon. Only you…” Nothing but genuine happiness filled their hearts as they can’t believe that they are finally engaged after years of being together. In the middle of the sweet embrace, Taeyeon decided to break it.

“I’m sorry, my love. I don’t have the ring with me, but I do have something that we can used,” Taeyeon paused. She pulled out the two locks she bought on the way to the said tower. “I cannot afford the ring right now, but I hope this would suffice,” She said as she showed it to the other woman.

“Taeng, you know I don’t need any material things from you,” Miyoung continued.

“But isn’t it cute keeping our promises, forever locked into this beautiful tower?” Taeyeon said as she stared at the cute pink and blue locks, made of metal, with a key still stuck in it.

“Alright,” Miyoung surrendered. They sealed the lock to the railings, making it the first ever padlock of love bound into it.

Suddenly, a thunder roared into the night sky,

“Looks like it’s going to rain soon. Let’s go home?”

“Okay”

And because of that beautiful night, a promised was locked away forever.

And the Seoul Tower was never been the same since then.