Chapter 8

Defeated Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mother, father… Thank you for giving me a life to live, and I hope that someday, I can do enough to make you both proud of me… I will take care of halmeoni, I will take care of everyone around me, and I will live to get to your dream, mother. I promise.”, Seungkwan muttered under his breath as he kneeled down and clasped his hands together.

It was a week after the devastating incident, and Seungkwan was back at the abandoned settlement, paying respects to the late villagers that were buried behind rows of now empty houses, the air around him still and silent except for the quiet chirping – or were they mourning? – of the birds on the trees.

“Seungkwan.”

At the voice, he turned around with sad eyes, suppressing a sigh of relief and widening his eyes instead. “H-Hansol.”

“Seungkwan, I am so sorry for what happened. I just returned last night, and I decided to come here immediately. I really didn’t think my father would proceed with the renovation. I… I’m so sorry. I gave you all false hope. I was just so sure of everything… I am so sorry. I really-”

“Hansol, stop.” Seungkwan stood back up and approached the other with a clear thought in mind; for some odd reason, he was not emotional or overwhelmed upon seeing the son of the villagers’ enemy who supposedly was their only hope, the good soldier.

“I’m sorry… What exactly happened? Did my father hurt any of you? Where are you all now? F-Father refused to tell me anything, threatening to shoot me if I dared ask. Are you all okay? Is there anything I can do?” Hansol spat out several questions at once, only to frown at Seungkwan’s lack of expression.

Suddenly, Seungkwan started walking away from the graves, his hands tucked away behind him as he kicked small stones and pebbles in his path, being reminded of Mingyu who was surely waiting for him at home, along with his grandmother.

Hansol followed shortly.

“He got a permit apparently. A police officer gave us two days to ready ourselves. We all got into a big truck and off we went to a nearby village, our houses left all alone, the trees drying up, the soil left untouched with some withering crops and the rest was sold to the markets. They said they’ll preserve the graves here, so let’s see. He didn’t hurt us physically, no, but he did shatter our sense of peace and belonging. But what can we do? We’re a bunch of villagers, powerless against rich families and businesses, yeah?”

“I… I-I’m so sorry.”

“Oh, don’t be. You’re not one of them, Hansol.” Seungkwan paused under the shade of the large tree – the same tree where the two of them met for the first time.

Hansol halted his steps too. However, what didn’t come to an end was his constant suggestions and apologies. “Sorry… Is there anything I can do for you? I-I could still issue a search warrant on my father if that seems like revenge to you… H-He might have to pay a huge fine if they find anything suspicious, so he might take down this renovation plan!”

Seungkwan his heels and tiptoed for a moment, putting out his hand to ruffle the other’s auburn hair. He pulled back and looked back at the towering tree.

“And then expect us all to move back to the village? H-Halmeoni… She can hardly move anymore, and I cannot let my people go through any more struggles. I’ve realised we can’t really change anything, we just have to live on. Don’t worry, Hansol, you’ve done enough, more than enough to help us. You don’t have to do anything, and I’m sorry for having you take these risks.”

“Risks… Well, they didn’t work, did they?”

Seungkwan let out a chuckle: “They’re still risks though. As I said, don’t do anything else. In fact, don’t look for me from this day f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter