Chapter 6

Defeated Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Alright, let us discuss.” Mingyu rose to his feet. He gestured Seungkwan to step closer. “The other villagers know nothing about this except for the fact that you’re trying to find a solution. They won’t know about this new information, and they shouldn’t. They will be mad at us trusting you and your leave for America will be considered a betrayal, and it’ll all be mess. For now, this stays between us. Now, we need a plan.”

“A plan?” Hansol piped in, unsure of what to say.

Mingyu breathed out heavily at the other’s lack of quick understanding. “Yes, a plan. If your father does choose the new location, then we’re good. If he chooses to destroy our land, then we have to be prepared to fight or complain or do something.”

“Okay. Umm, t-this is risky but… Well, I could have someone else come here and update you all during my absence. A-And I can investigate my father’s files and such and look for any possible illegal act, which could put him in trouble, enough to prevent this village from being used…”

“No, Hansol.” Seungkwan shook his head repeatedly; he held back a smile, knowing that this was the first time he had called the other by his given name, and he couldn’t help but notice the surprised look on Hansol’s face. “W-Whatever you’re doing or plan on doing, it’s going to put your father in trouble, and yeah, it’s something we should rejoice in, but for you… He’s still your family, he’s your father, you can’t just put him in grave danger.”

“Well, I couldn’t care any less.” Hansol’s voice was now firm, almost angry, uneasy. “He’s just my father for name’s sake, he has no qualities of a father. He has done nothing for me. Everything that he did was for his own benefit, for the business. He’s obstructing my dreams, he’s putting me in pain, he doesn’t care about me, so why should I?”

Seungkwan noticed the way Hansol’s hands were closed into fists. “H-Hansol, come outside.”, he said confidently as he walked out, leaving behind a confused Mingyu and his half-asleep grandmother.

“Yes?” Hansol asked as he stepped outside and halted his steps, timid and anxious. He wondered if he messed up or did something wrong; he couldn’t afford being a disappointment to anyone else, especially not Seungkwan.

Seungkwan wasn’t sure how to approach the other but he gave it a shot. “Look, I-I am sorry if I seemed mean, cruel, merciless to you all this time. You’re a good person, you really are. I respect you for your determination towards your dreams despite your situation, and though I h-hate to admit it, we are similar. We both have dreams that we may not be able to achieve… I just… I don’t want you to hurt your family. Trust me, losing family is as worse as anything can get. I would know, yeah? I have no parents!”

Hansol shrieked at the crazy laugh Seungkwan spilled out, sorrow and terror lacing his eyes. He cleared his throat and explained himself, “I appreciate what you said. But… Well, I’m doing this for both of us. If my father’s business fails, I can focus on my dream, I can focus on becoming a dancer. If my father can’t damage your land, you can sing to your people and get recognised by many people. You’ll become the singer y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter