Hole Two

Hole In One (Let Me Fill It)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jinyoung went to work still flummoxed with what happened last night during his sleep. The fact that he had a wet dream didn't faze him. He’s a healthy young man, and it's a sign of that. But it floored him to learn that someone he just met that day, whom he had an actual conversation with for less than an hour, was attributed to one of the most intense wet dreams he had in forever. His hormones were raging as a result of his failure to control them for the sake of it.

The breakfast tasted bland as his mind got occupied with what could've made the older man creep into his dream like that. Particularly in an unbelievably short time. He was powerless over his own mind, also somewhat humiliated. Some form of anxiety started building up.

Mark obviously was not a regular guy. He's famous, first and foremost. He’s rich and probably talented. Jinyoung still hadn't seen any of his works, but he was a former idol, so there’s that. Usually, that alone wouldn’t bother him. If anything, those obnoxious kids he had to assist playing 'golf', had never left any impression on him. He'd forget them as soon as they stepped out of the premises.

To be honest, Mark wasn’t at the top of the handsome man list. He could easily sneak into the top five, indeed. But there were other men, in his book, who also possessed an otherworldly beauty. Mark was not superior in that aspect. Then, what was it? What made him ‘special’?

It’s the glaring element of the client being exactly his type that most likely made him leave a deep, way too deep, impression. Attracting him there. The communication went well, with a promise of another talk. And Mark’s ability to make him feel at ease despite the conspicuous gap in their social statuses. Those checked the two basic requirements for getting his attention.

He didn't have a specific type. As long as they're kind, had a nice smile, and were literate enough to know that The Lords of The Rings Trilogy was a movie adaptation of famous novels, then he's down with that. Maybe also a hardworking person, and had a satisfying size of male s. But that's another story.

Mark’s smile was lovely. He’s not certain whether it’s his neat pearly whites or his lustrous eyes, but the way his expression turned up along with the corner of his mouth curling up in a smile was terrific.

"Morning, lover boy," Jackson greeted. For some reason, he had a -eating grin on his face.

Jinyoung groaned. It’s too early for whatever the supervisor was trying to pull. “Morning.”

“Why the long face? I thought you had a good time yesterday?”

He knew his boss would . He knew it. "It's called a face that works hard every day. Balancing work and study," he retorted. Not in the mood for banter.

“Hmm, let’s see… You’re not in PMS, so it must be something about Mark, hm?”

"Which part of the usual hard-working face you don't understand? Why do you have to be so gossipy first thing in the morning?"

“Savage. You’re lucky I like you so much, Jinyoung.” Jackson cackled maniacally. “Also, the fact that you reacted this much over someone’s name was a dead giveaway that there was indeed something.” He added with a satisfied smirk on his face.

Amongst all the topics ranging from the weather to who won the election, that was one that he didn't wish to engage in right now. "No way. Sorry, I gotta rush. I have a client coming. Unlike someone, I take my work seriously.”

“I work seriously!”

“Yeah? So why are you here? You’re not at your desk, and you’re bothering Youngjae!”

“He’s not bothering me, Jinyoung. It’s okay.” Youngjae chirped brightly, blinding Jinyoung with his positive energy.

“You heard him,” Jackson boasted, moving behind Youngjae and resting his hand on the younger man’s shoulders. “Just so you know, I’m working. I’m waiting for a client. It seems like he enjoyed his stay too much yesterday. He’s already requested another session,” he announced, smiling so wide. The resemblance to the Joker was uncanny.

Jinyoung’s ears perked up. Could it be?

“Ah, this is my client, Mark Tuan, calling! Excuse me for a moment, fellas!”

Jinyoung choked on his spit. Youngjae gave him a concerned look as a result. He waved his hand to signal the receptionist that he was fine. Or perhaps not. Mark’s going to be there. The Mark that him good in his dreaded wet dream was going to be here. Two days in a row.

“I-I need to change. Bye, Youngjae!” He excused himself in a hurry, nervously fixing his bag on his shoulder.

“See ya!” Youngjae shouted from his desk.

He walked at a fast lope to the caddies’ room, needing to be hidden from the world as fast as possible. When he was finally inside the room, he hobbled to one of the benches. Inhaling a deep breath, he dropped down, trying to calm himself.

It’s just Mark, another client. It’s not like Jackson would assign him to Mark again. He already had an appointment with a regular. The supervisor couldn't keep reassigning him. That would lead to disappointment from the client.

Contemplating deeply, acting coy to Mark yesterday wasn't supposed to be done. He should've said no to them talking again, then asked for a transfer to the swimming pool area or something. So he wouldn't have to see Mark again. Although in his defence, he didn't foresee the older man appearing in his dream like that. Zero possibility. Nada.

“You look pale.”

Jinyoung snapped his head up, almost got a whiplash for that. “Oh, uh, hi, Bambam...”

“Are you okay?”

“Ah, haha, yes, I’m okay. Stomach bug, I guess. But I’m fine now. Totally fine. Not pale or anything. Huh, yes…” he babbled, wiping his sweaty palms on his trousers.

“Huh, okay.” Bambam nodded as he walked past him to his own locker. “By the way, you got the autograph, right? I hope you bring it today. I can’t wait to frame it on my bedroom wall!”

Jinyoung slouched into the bench. The autograph. He had been too immersed in their conversation that it completely escaped his mind. He turned in Bambam’s direction; the boy had stars in his eyes. Waiting, hoping. “I, uh, sorry, Bam… I forgot to ask…”

“You what?”

“I forgot to get the autograph for you. I’m really sorry.”

“But you were with him in the restaurant! I assume you had enough time to ask.” Bambam pressed, sounding unamused.

“Yeah, we did, but it kind of slipped my mind. I know, that’s not an excuse. But I’ve never promised you, right? I said ‘let’s see what I can do’.” Jinyoung swallowed. He didn’t like the despondent look on Bambam’s face. It’s giving him a mental idea that he failed. Well, he sort of did.

"Okay." Bambam curtly replied, continuing to get ready without uttering any more words. He must be bummed out, to put it mildly. He’s never silent, especially when there's someone around.

“I’m sorry, Bam.” Jinyoung tried anyway.

The younger didn’t respond, putting on his hat and checking himself in the mirror once more before leaving him alone in the caddies’ room. Without a single word.

Jinyoung sighed. He’d messed up. He didn’t expect Bambam to take it that bad. He looked chill most days. He should’ve realized that Bambam being hysterical with the news of Mark coming could be an indication that he truly idolized the older man.

It was a simple request, he did it many times for his coworker, but he couldn’t do it. Being with Mark unthinkingly brought him to a bubble where there were only the two of them. He was completely charmed by his deep voice and sleek blond hair.

Squirming in his seat, he glanced at the watch. It’s about time. He needed to get ready, or he’d be late for the appointment. Surely he didn’t want to make the client wait. Pinching his arm, he tried to awaken his senses. Mark would have to leave his mind. He had to get down to the apparent matter at hand.

Even if they did see each other, there was no way Mark would know that he did him dirty in his dream. Absolutely no way. It’s all in his mind. With renewed confidence, he took a deep breath, focusing his mind. Then exhaled a big gulp of air.

“You got this, Jinyoung.” He lifted himself up from the bench with new vigour, changing into his uniform briskly.

Five minutes later, he stood by the reception area to greet his client. A regular since they already had several appointments before. She was overall a likeable woman, managing her own clothing brand. One that was loved by the young generations, including Jinyoung, as the clothing was very comfortable and reasonably priced. Luxury brands were not his cup of tea, obviously. He rather spent it on his tuition fee.

His eyes caught the client, Alison, coming in. She looked buoyant and energetic as she always did, chatting animatedly while walking side by side with a man. Jinyoung squinted his eyes to see better. Was that her husband?

To his great shock, it was not her husband. Far from it. It was the man whom he wished not to meet, especially so soon after the ‘incident’.

Mark Tuan strolled in with her, laughing with his perfect teeth. They looked like they'd known each other, judging from the slender arm circling around his client’s shoulder.

“Jinyoung!” Alison called from the entrance door, waving enthusiastically at him.

Where was the black hole when he needed it the most? He wanted to get swallowed into the abyss and never came back again.

Mark threw a long gaze at him from under his white hat before his face broke into a broad grin. “Jinyoung,” he parroted Alison, eyes stationed on him.

That alone successfully made him cower even more. “H-hi, Alison…” he greeted his client, deliberately ignoring Mark altogether.

“Mark!!”

The three of them turned their heads to the voice. Jackson approached them, flapping his arms around like a lost bird.

“Jackson,” Mark responded, arm leaving Alison’s shoulder to shake Jackson’s hand.

“Hi, Alison. Welcome back!” Jackson bowed slightly to the woman.

“Hi, Jackson, it’s been some time.”

"Yes, it is! So nice to see you and your brother together." The supervisor chuckled, sending Jinyoung a knowing look.

The rest of confidence from his earlier self-motivation drained out upon hearing the info. “B-Brother??!!” he squawked, eyes widening in shock.

“Ah, yes, Jinyoung. Allow me to introduce my brother, Mark.” Alison introduced Mark to him, clearly not knowing their ‘background’ story.

Mark chuckled softly. “We’ve already met, sis.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, Alison. I assigned Jinyoung to your brother yesterday. As you know, he is one of our best caddies here. Seems like it went very well, right, Jinyoung?” Jackson waggled his eyebrows, elbowing him on the side.

Jinyoung disregarded Jackson completely. The sudden revelation left him stunned. Did the universe hate him that much? What did he do in his previous life?

“Yeah, he used to be persistent about not playing golf. But suddenly, he went with Dad to buy the best golf set available and chose this club. Even though he’s already a member of Paradis. I hope he didn’t cause you too many problems, Jinyoung.”

Mark’s cheeks tinted with pink, only very slightly. Even Jinyoung wasn’t sure if he wasn’t hallucinating. Still, that was baffling enough while also adorable at the same time.

“Ah, no, Alison. Mark was not a problem at all. He did great yesterday, making one birdie.” He was proud that his speech didn’t come out as a stutter.

“You did??” Alison looked at his brother in disbelief. “Wow, Jinyoung surely is the best here! Because even my dumb brother could make a birdie on his first try!"

“I agree with you about Jinyoung, but don’t underestimate me, sis.” Mark laughed. “In fact, I want to challenge you today.”

“Oooh, challenge accepted. Whatever it is. I’ve got Jinyoung. We’ll win.” Alison smirked, patting him on the back.

“I also got Jinyoung. So let’s see how it’ll turn out.” Mark taunted, smirking.

“Excuse me? What do you mean? I’m Alison’s caddy.”

“Ah, yes, Jinyoung. Sorry, I haven't gotten the chance to tell you. But James called in sick just a few moments ago. He’s supposed to assist Mark today. May I ask you to assist Mark, as well? Could you do that? We don't want to disappoint our client, do we?” Jackson revealed fully.

Jinyoung listened, mouth agape with incredulity. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. If Jackson had planned this, he wouldn’t know because the supervisor had an innocent look on his face.

It's not the idea of tackling two tasks at once that made his inner self quiver, but having to caddy Mark again. And especially after his stupid midnight shebang. Jackson didn’t know that for sure, and definitely not Mark. Coming up with an excuse that’s not even ‘real’ would sound ridiculous. He couldn’t reject the request without coming out as a erted weirdo.

"Jackson, are you sure Jinyoung can do that? I don't think his poor shoulder can handle two heavy golf bags…" Alison said a look of concern coloured her face.

“I’ll bring my bag by myself.” Mark slid in before Jackson could give any answer. Slinging the bag over his shoulder.

“We’re deeply sorry, Mark. Are you sure you don’t want another caddy? We got some female caddies on standby.”

“Nah, Jinyoung knows how light my bag is. You don’t have to worry.”

“As you wish, Mark. We respect your choice.”

Jinyoung’s brain tumbled upside down. How about him? Did he get a say in this?

“Now, now, are we going to play or not?” Mark concluded the conversation, already walking to the open area.

“Don’t cry when I crush you like I always did with any game, huh, brother.”

“Game on.”

Jinyoung turned, and the two siblings were bantering while his jumbled minds were still trying to wrap everything together. He didn’t prepare to meet Mark in the club just the day after. Even if he did come, he only expected them to see each other briefly in the lounge or something. Absolutely didn’t anticipate this kind of turn of events.

Who would've thought that his regular was actually Mark Tuan’s older sister? Who would’ve thought he had to assist Mark two days in a row? Without being asked, his brain started rewinding the dream. Somehow more vivid than last night, presumably because the subject of it was standing before him with his crinkling smiles and perfect jaws.

“Jinyoung? Are you okay? You look pale.”

“Hm? Oh, yes, Bambam said that too. I’m okay, really. Why wouldn’t I be okay? Haha…”

Mark frowned but smiled nonetheless. "Don't want you to pass out on the green.”

“What? No, that wouldn’t happen. I think we should get going,” he said, unintentionally bumping Mark’s shoulder as he walked past him to get to the cart.

He dropped Alison's golf bag on the seat beside the driver's, hoping to deter a certain someone from sitting beside him. It worked because Mark climbed into the second-row seat along with his sister. Unfortunately, that didn't stop Mark's scent from infiltrating his nose, teasing his conscience greatly. He had to grip the steering wheel tightly so they didn’t get sidetracked into the lake or something.

“So Jinyoung, what do you think about my brother?” Alison started a conversation while they were coursing through the green.

"W-what do I think??" He panicked, realizing in a second that she was most definitely asking about Mark's golf ability. "O-oh, umm, yes. He could be below handicap thirty. His score was sixty for nine holes, thus for this golf course that would roughly be... twenty-four handicap. But as you may know, a beginner golfer will need about five to ten rounds under their belt to get a real handicap index.”

“Wow! You’re really something Mark!”

"Is that a good thing? Twenty-four?"

"For a beginner? Yes! Not for the average golfer, though. The range for those is sixteen to twenty. But usually, a starter like you would handicap thirty or above! Most beginner golfers cannot shoot lower than one hundred in eighteen holes.”

“The lower my handicap, the better?”

“Yes,” Jinyoung chirped in between the two siblings. “Forty-five in bogey golf is a good score for nine holes. You got sixty yesterday.”

“What’s your handicap, sis?”

“Fifteen.”

“Oof, I have a lot to catch…” Mark giggled, and the sound of it swam into Jinyoung’s ears like a melody.

"I've been doing this far longer than you, and now you're only ten more handicaps than me. I'm offended." Alison feigned hurt.

“Haha! Watch this. In six months, I will totally pass your handicap. Mark my words.” Mark challenged his sister, laughing mischievously.

Jinyoung smiled at the conversation between his clients. Very typical siblings’ banter. “It takes time to start shooting lower in golf. It can be stressful and make the game less fun. That’s the last thing you want as a new player.”

“I see… We’re here to have fun, aren’t we?”

“That’s right. I don’t actually care about my handicap. But Dad always nagged me to lower my handicap, so our games would be more fierce, he said.”

Mark clicked his tongue. “Tsk, even in golf he told you things, huh?”

“You know him.” Alison shrugged.

“What’s your handicap, Jinyoung?”

"I haven't been playing for some time. The last handicap was eleven."

“No way!! That’s sick!”

“Ah, no, not at all. A lot of caddies here are below eight. I’m nothing compared to them.”

“Below eight?? Are they like pro golfers or something??”

“You’d be surprised how the caddies are actually way waaaay better than the players here. I always wonder what they have in their mind when they see us playing like headless chickens.” She chuckled lightly.

Mark and Alison laughed together. The rear mirror showed how Mark’s expression was decorated with mirth, lines forming on the side of his eyes. Wait, that sounded like someone’s comment about him.

“We’re here,” Jinyoung announced to the passengers, who hopped out of the cart as soon as it stopped moving. They seemed keen to play.

“What do you think is suitable for us today, Jinyoung?”

"Hmm, I would say Stableford, but how about ambrose? Since there are two of you. I could be the captain."

“Anyone care to explain what those are? I read ‘Golf for Beginner’ last night but still…” Mark chuckled softly, looking between Alison and Jinyoung.

“Stableford awards points based on your net score for each hole. The player with the most points is declared the winner. Whereas Ambrose is when each of you tees off, then I’ll select the best drive and mark the best ball’s position using a tee. You and Alison then pick up the balls and fire your next shot from there, placing the ball within a club length of the marker if it’s on the fairway or dropping to within a club length if it’s on the rough. I will choose the best shot, and this process continues until the ball is holed. The best ball score is recorded for the hole, and the lowest total net score wins.”

“I haven’t played Ambrose in a long time! I’d like that.” Alison’s eyes sparkle with excitement.

“Okay. Whatever you want, Ali. But please help throughout the game, Jinyoung. She has the knack to cheat during a game and always gets away with it somehow.”

“I’m not!”

“Certainly, Mark.” Once it registered in him, he was amazed that shortly after his panic mode, he had already forgotten that he was supposedly avoiding Mark. The weather was pleasant, and the company was nice. Which was probably a factor in calming him down.

The presence of Alison surely helped with the tension on his shoulder as well, as he didn’t have to be alone with Mark in the middle of the course. Once again, he’s reminded that Mark was a chill guy. If Jackson didn’t tell him who he was, he’d totally believe that he was just an ordinary guy like him.

He walked behind the clients. Mark's expression went jolly at whatever it was Alison said to him. Smiling at the sight, the next time he came to his eyes were caught in a set of doe eyes, holding him. Mark smiled at him gently as if he didn't want to disturb his train of thought.

He was rendered immobile, eyes locked with those dark brown eyes. It probably lasted five seconds, but he felt much longer than that. He was captivated, forced to stay in the bubble. Although in reality, he wasn’t forced at all, stepping voluntarily into the world he hadn’t known before and wished to know more about.

Mark broke the staring contest first, as another cart taking other golfers zinged past them. “Let’s go, Ali. I can’t wait to make you cry!”

Jinyoung was brought back from his reverie, quickly taking a driver from Alison’s bag and handing it to her. His neck felt warm from Mark’s returning stare. “We can start.”

Alison did her tee shot first, with Mark in second. Jinyoung selected Alison’s driver as the best, and the game progressed from there. The two siblings were pretty competitive in recreational golf. Mark whined a lot about how good his sister was and that the likelihood of him losing increased with every ball holed.

As they got into the game more, he realized that Mark's concentrating face was really attractive. The way his eyes focused on the ball, on the hole, then on the putt. Mark also had an extraordinary set of arms. He must've done a lot of exercises, presumably in his old club Paradis. They were famous for the extensive gym and competition winners Personal Trainers.

There was not a hint of stiffness in the game as it went smooth almost like playing with colleagues. He was relaxed, enjoying every minute of it. On bad days, he’d spit on everything, from the wind to the ducks swimming on the pond. No spit this time. In fact, time seemed to move quickly as they were already at the end of the game.

"The player with the lowest net score is…" He said after totalling the players' scores, putting a mysterious smile on his face. "Alison!! Congrats!"

“Arrggh, I knew it!” Mark groaned, throwing his hat on the grass exaggeratedly. He picked it up as soon as he dropped it, though.

Alison let out a shrill laugh, smacking his brother on the arms over and over. “I told you! You can’t pass your almighty sister!”

Mark pouted, making Jinyoung’s brain puzzled with the new sight. He collected himself, then trudged closer to Mark, offering his hand. “Congratulations, Mark. You did a massive job. Your scores are only ten behind your sister.”

"Thank you, Jinyoung. You helped me a lot." Mark grinned, shaking his hand. He looked straight into his eyes as if trying to convey something from deep within him.

"Umm, Mark, you can let go of my hand…”

Mark’s body jolted, releasing his hand from his grasp. “Wow, oops. Sorry, your eyes are so beautiful I got lost in them.”

If Jinyoung’s neck felt warm earlier, his entire body was burning from that one compliment. “Haha, who said something like that anymore…”

“Hmm, what am I seeing right now?” Alison chimed in, a playful smile etched on her face. She strolled closer to them, and Jinyoung extended his hand to congratulate her as well. She took it happily, smiling from ear to ear.

“Since you’re the winner of this game, how about you buy your sad loser brother a drink? I really need it.” Mark begged, clinging to Alison in a petulant manner.

“I’m the winner, yet I’m the one paying?” Alison snorted. “Where’s the logic in that?!”

“We should celebrate your win. That’s the logic!”

Jinyoung snickered. They were really close to each other. It’s heart-touching to see. He didn't have a sibling. A view like that was enjoyable for him. "How about you treat each other since both of you are winning? Alison won the game, but Mark also won it. In a sense, he finished his first competition with a good score for a beginner.”

Alison and Mark looked at him, and then like clockwork, the two of them broke out in a big grin. They really resembled each other when smiling.

“That’s a good one, Jinyoung!” Alison beamed, nodding in agreement.

"Jinyoung's not only good at golf but also in life," Mark praised, chuckling. “Let’s go then.”

“Oh wait, just a sec. My employee’s calling.” Alison rushed to take the phone, walking off to a more shaded area under the trees.

“You seem to be in a good mood today,” Mark pointed out, the corner of his lips tugging up in amusement.

“I’m honoured that you are aware,” Jinyoung responded, acting nonchalant when actually his heart was running fast.

“You were extremely nervy yesterday, so it was fairly easy to spot a difference.”

"I wasn't nervy. I was just trying to be professional. I am also professional right now, but I and Alison have been doing it for almost one and a half years, so I'm laxer around her."

“You were quite edgy at the beginning, though. Like you didn’t want to see me.”

“That’s not it!” Jinyoung shot up, clenching and unclenching his fist nervously.

“Exactly like that.” Mark let out a short laugh. “I’m glad I can see you again, Jiny

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter