Chapter 8

Because You're My...

 

“That’s all for today. Go back and get ready. We will meet at 12 tomorrow. Don’t be late,” Dongwoo says to the group of backup dancer and wrap up the meeting.

 

They are sitting on the floor at the other side of Sunggyu’s practise room while the artist himself having his own meeting with the producers at the table. The iced Americanos ready at the side on the table and they can pick them up on the way out. Today, a staff from Sunggyu’s team went to make the order since Dongwoo is busy taking care of the dancers. Sunggyu ignore Dongwoo’s glaring eyes when the manager saw a cup of iced chocolate with the other drinks when he get his own cup.

 

“Sunggyu hyung, thank you for your hard work,” the dancers say bowing down to him.

 

“Good work for today. Rest well and I will see you guys tomorrow.” Sunggyu smiles at the trainees. He caught Hoya at the back, looking worried and want to get out of there fast. “Hoya,”

 

“Yes, sir?” Hoya startled and step closer when the other dancers ready to go through the door.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Hoya nods. “Ye…yeah,”

 

“You look fidgety. Go home and rest, take your coffee with you and…” He give the iced chocolate to the dancer. “Can you give this to Woohyun, please?”

 

“Yeah, su…sure.” Hoya slowly take the cup.

 

Sunggyu quirk his eyebrow. Dongwoo frowns, both at the fact that Sunggyu give the questioning iced chocolate to Hoya for Woohyun as if it is really intended for him, and the fact Hoya is jittery as if something bothering his mind.

 

“Are you okay?” Sunggyu asks.

 

“Uh…” Hoya look around the room, only a few dancers left to collect their mind, and the producers aside from Sunggyu and Dongwoo. “It’s Woohyun.”

 

Sunggyu jump in his seat. “What? What’s wrong with Woohyun?”

 

Hoya shakes his head. “I don’t know. Last night, he came home earlier from his part time work. Before I went out this morning, he said his shoulder hurt. I told the teacher Woohyun had to take a sick leave today, I don’t think he can come with his shoulder hurting,”

 

“It hurt just the shoulder, it might pull the muscle. Nothing to be worried, right?” the producer ask.

 

“Actually…” Hoya glance at the producer then at Sunggyu. “The left shoulder is where the injury from the accident was. If he said it hurt, it means he is really in pain. I’m worried because he didn’t pick up my calls and Sungyeol is still shooting in Gohan,”

 

“Accident…” Sunggyu whispers. He quickly stands up and look at the producer. “Let’s discuss this later. I have to go.” Then he dash for the door, surprising everyone.

 

“Yah, Kim Sunggyu!” the producer shouts at him.

 

Hoya quickly bows down and rush after Sunggyu, leaving Dongwoo to deal with the mess with a headache coming in.

 

Hoya caught Sunggyu at the basement and hop in the car. He shows the direction to his house while making a call to both Woohyun and Sungyeol. Woohyun still didn’t pick up his phone and Sungyeol said he is on his way back to Seoul.

 

“Left shoulder?” Sunggyu asks.

 

“Yeah. Remember when we went out to drink last week?” Hoya asks but didn’t wait for reply. “Woohyun had a doctor appointment that morning and got a shot that make his shoulder feel numb for at least 12 hours. He was late to practise but he had informed the teacher, but the other trainees feel it’s unfair he was not scolded so they ask him to clean the practise room,”

 

“What?” Sunggyu asks, livid.

 

“Alone,” he added.

 

“What…?” Sunggyu is furious. He really, really is furious. He grab the steering wheel tightly with his hands. You dare to bully my Woohyun?

 

“When the drug wear off, Woohyun would feel the utmost pain. And it was when we were drinking. That’s why we thought we should leave but Woohyun refuse, it will cause suspicion, he said.”

 

Sunggyu doesn’t remember when they talked and if they tried to be excused early. The three friends didn’t even leave the VIP room, and didn’t play with their hand phones to exchange a conversation. But he is too worried about Woohyun’s health now to think about petty little things.

 

Sunggyu was pulled from his thought when Hoya’s phone ringing for the incoming calls as the dancer quickly pick it up. His heart beat nervously when the call is from the person of their subject.

 

“Woohyun, are you okay? Where were you?”

 

“Home…but, Hoya…it’s really hurt. I can’t find my painkiller.” Sunggyu heard Woohyun’s crying voice from the other side.

 

“Hold on, okay. We will reach home soon. We will take you to the hospital,”

 

“Why the sudden pain? He was fine yesterday,” Sunggyu braced himself to ask after Hoya end the call.

 

He shakes his head. “I’m not sure but I can guess. The dance step was hard, they focus more on the shoulder. Because Woohyun was absent for a while, they ask him to clean the practise room. Not alone, everyone was there but Ilhoon said Woohyun did the most cleaning and he was the last one left, meaning he was the one who bring the dirty buckets and all the cleaning equipment to the storeroom. When he came back from the part time job, he said he carry a lot of new arrived stocks,” Hoya says lengthy.

 

“If all of these happen on the same day in a short time without a proper time to make his shoulder rest, added with some stress, it will result a greater pain,” he added, chewing his lower lip worriedly.

 

Sunggyu just wish he was not the one who cause the stress yesterday, even though he doubt it.

 

They reach the apartment. Sunggyu stand outside the building waiting by his car, staring at the house with sadness in his heart. It reminds him when he was still a trainee, living in a rundown apartment with some friends of his. But his house was better than this and in a more comforting neighbourhood.

 

He was break out of his trance when Hoya come out of the entrance with Woohyun in his arms. He quickly went to Woohyun’s other side and circled his arm around the other’s waist, helping him to his car. He makes sure Woohyun is safe and Hoya is with him before he jump in the driver seat and run his car to the hospital.

 

“Can you call Woohyun’s hospital to ask them to send Woohyun’s medical record to GolCha Hospital?” Sunggyu asks, looking at the rear view mirror.

 

“Huh? What?” Hoya ask back from the back seat, Woohyun is in his arms, clutching his left shoulder and scrunching his face in pain.

 

“We better go to GolCha Hospital. It’s more private and press can’t be there.”

 

Hoya complied, for a second forgetting Sunggyu is a top star and if pictures of him went to the hospital get caught, the press would have a field trip. And it’s not good since Sunggyu has to go to London tomorrow for his first world tour.

 

Having a top star taking them to a private hospital really make their life easier. Sunggyu take care of everything and Hoya just need to follow and help Woohyun around. After the doctor check on him relaying on the medical report from the previous hospital, Woohyun is now resting in a VIP ward, complete with their own television, refrigerator, sofa and toilet.

 

Woohyun is sleeping on the bed, having a shot of the medication. Hoya sits on the sofa, exchanging text messages with Sungyeol when the door to the ward open from outside. Dongwoo rushing inside, worriedly and furiously.

 

“Where Sunggyu hyung?” he asks, voice high.

 

“Shh.” Hoya put his finger over his mouth, pointing to the sleeping patient.

 

Dongwoo put his palm over his mouth, silently apologizing peeking at the patient before he sits on the sofa at the other side.

 

“Sunggyu hyung is talking with the doctor. How did you come, Dongwoo hyung?”

 

“Taxi, of course.” Dongwoo grunts as he lean his back on the seat. “I swear that Sunggyu will be the death of me someday.”

 

Hoya chuckles. “I think I had heard every managers say the same thing about their artist,”

 

“You, when you become an idol, don’t ever treat you manager like this,” Dongwoo warns.

 

Hoya nods absentmindedly. He doesn’t have the mood to think about his own future right now, not the right time. He is worried about his friend and he wants to go talk to the doctor too but Sunggyu wants him to be here with Woohyun.

 

Sunggyu is in the doctor’s room, claiming himself as Woohyun’s guardian so the doctor can tell him everything. Doctor Jung Yunho, has been Sunggyu’s personal doctor since he become a trainee at Infinite. Every time Sunggyu fall sick or need a rest from his busy schedule, he will come here and seek Doctor Jung for advice. Sunggyu even had his own favourite VIP ward in the hospital even though he rarely use them. Twice or thrice a year, may be, just to rest or to take a vitamin drip. But this is the first Sunggyu bought someone over and pay from his pocket.

 

“How long have you know the patient?”

 

“Eight years. We know each other since I’m a freshman in high school.”

 

Doctor Jung nods his head. “Have you know about his past injury? Did he ever get into an accident?”

 

Sunggyu is quiet for a while. “I have heard. His friend said he got into an accident in second year of high school, five years ago,”

 

“Did you know what kind of accident?”

 

Sunggyu shakes his head sadly. “I didn’t.”

 

Doctor Jung sighs. “We have to ask, his friend or the patient himself,”

 

“Why? What’s wrong?” Sunggyu lean forward in his seat. “They didn’t say anything in his report?”

 

Doctor Jung shakes his head as he flip the medical report. “This is the report from the previous hospital starting a year ago, it’s just vague. We need a report from where he got into the accident, there must be a more detailed report.” He put the file down on the table. “Before we get into his history, I will just tell you from my examination today.”

 

Sunggyu nods his head eagerly.

 

“His left shoulder is really bad. He doesn’t have any cartilage in his shoulder anymore, they all ripped to shreds,” Doctor Jung informed.

 

Ba-dump.

 

“Wha…what?” Sunggyu gulp the lump in his throat. “How bad it is?”

 

“It’s really bad. He could soon have a frozen shoulder. He will be in a lot of pain, that even painkillers can’t help him anymore.”

 

Sunggyu feels his world blackout and the floor below him shake uncontrollably. Tears start to filled his eyes, makes him unable to see and can’t think clearly.

 

“He can’t do any heavy activity. He can do some light exercises and don’t work his shoulder too hard,” Doctor Jung added.

 

“Woohyun…he is a dancer, he is a trainee in our company,” Sunggyu whispers.

 

“He can dance, but like I said, he can’t do heavy steps involving the shoulder. He has to make sure the dance step doesn’t involve much on the upper body,”

 

“Can it be healed?”

 

Doctor Jung shakes his head. “He can do physical therapy to lessen the pain and to work out the shoulder. But it can’t be healed completely,”

 

“Surgery? How about surgery?”

 

The doctor again shakes his head. “He can but there’s no use. The cartilage is forever lost. If he does a surgery, I’m afraid it will worsen the pain than make it less.”

 

Sunggyu’s body shakes, with anger, with sadness and with pain. He can’t control himself and his tears flowed down his cheeks. “My Woohyun…what exactly happen to him?”

 

-------------

 

The perks of being in a private hospital despite his position as a Korean Top Star is he can wanders around the hospital without being afraid of getting caught in a gossip or ugly rumours. He had sign a contract with GolCha Hospital, to make sure any of his visit a secret. The hospital had to warn everyone from the medical staff to the cleaners to keep their hand phone and shut their mouth if they saw Sunggyu or any other celebrity coming in. How they take care of the visitors or other patients is out of Sunggyu’s concern. But since his debut almost four years ago, not once his pictures got caught into the media unless his own agency reported so.

 

After leaving the doctor’s office, Sunggyu feels his legs wobbly and his eyes still red from the tears. He knows he can’t go to the room, he can’t see Woohyun now. No matter if Woohyun has woken up or not, he can’t see him, not yet.

 

Sunggyu had to use the railing on the wall to support himself to walk in the hallway out of the building. He went to the small park behind the hospital where he used to take some fresh air. He sits on one of the benches, facing little kids playing around. He smiles watching them play as he tries to console his heart and to clear his mind.

 

“Sunggyu hyung? What are you doing here?”

 

Startled, Sunggyu turns his head to greet the worry look of Myungsoo and Sungyeol by the side of the bench. “Myungsoo, Sungyeol, you guys are here?”

 

“Yeah, we just arrived. Sungyeol asked to be drop by the hospital and I thought I should visit too before I go home,” Myungsoo replies. “We were on our way to the ward when we saw you sitting here. Is everything okay?”

 

“Is Woohyun okay?” Sungyeol ask, fidgety.

 

Sunggyu didn’t answer. He eyed the two actors and hope his eyes had turn their natural colours. Sungyeol look restless and he wants to run from there, Myungsoo look confused and waits if everything okay with their top star.

 

Yes, Sungyeol.

 

“Sungyeol,” Sunggyu says. “I have something to ask,”

 

“Huh? Wha…what is it, Sunggyu-shi?”

 

Sunggyu pats the spot next to him. “Call me hyung.”

 

Sungyeol sits beside him even though it was obvious he really doesn’t want to and he better went to Woohyun’s side. Myungsoo standing close to them beside the bench.

 

“You’re Woohyun’s best friend, aren’t you?” Sungyeol nods uncertainty. “You must know about the accident when he was in second year.”

 

Sungyeol’s eyes widen. “How…how did you know about the accident?”

 

“Hoya told me, but I believe it’s not all.” Sunggyu hold Sungyeol’s hand in his. “Sungyeol, tell me. What really happen? What is that accident about?”

 

Sungyeol gulp his saliva. “What did Hoya told you?”

 

“Just Woohyun got into an accident and hurt his shoulder,”

 

“His shoulder.” Sungyeol gasp. “What happen? What did the doctor said? Is he okay now?”

 

“It’s…really bad.” Sunggyu told the young actors exactly what he heard from Doctor Jung.

 

Myungsoo gasp, his palm over his wide open mouth. Sungyeol is shaking, his hand in Sunggyu’s hold is trembling. Sunggyu’s voice crack at the end of his report and the bitterness he had chase away come visiting again.

 

“Tell me, Sungyeol. What actually happen?” Sunggyu beg, holding Sungyeol’s hand tightly in his.

 

“Did Hoya told you…about Kibum?”

 

------------

 

“Woohyun, you’re awake!” Hoya runs to the bed, touching Woohyun’s cheeks and forehead and neck. “How are you feeling?”

 

Woohyun nods his head. “Okay, I guess. I’m not having a cold, am I?”

 

Hoya stop touching and pulls his hands to his side, he sits on the edge of the bed beside the patient. “No. But you fell unconscious after they give you a shot.”

 

Woohyun’s hand quickly went to his left shoulder, feeling it under his touch. “What shot?”

 

“A painkiller. You can feel your shoulder, right? It’s not numb, right?”

 

Woohyun nods his head. “It’s not numb.” He was startled when he feels the upper mattress raise to a comfortable sitting position but calm down when Dongwoo appear at the end of the bed. He greets the manager happily before he look around the room. “Where am I?”

 

“A ward. Don’t you remember?” Hoya asks.

 

“I remember you came to take me to the hospital, I see a lot of doctors and nurses, then here I am,” Woohyun replies. “This is not General Hospital, isn’t it?”

 

“No.” Hoya shakes his head. “This is GolCha Hospital,”

 

“What?” Woohyun can’t help but to shout. “How did we get here? And this room.” He look around the ward. “This is a first class ward, I can’t afford to be here. Let’s go home, Hoya.”

 

Dongwoo quickly stop him before he can push himself up. “Woohyun, stop. Don’t hurt yourself, you’re still sick,”

 

“But I…I can’t be here. I don’t have money to pay for the bills,”

 

“Calm down, Woohyun,” Hoya says then he sighs. “Apparently you forgot something,”

 

“Huh? What? What did I forgot?” Woohyun asks, alarmed.

 

“How did you think I bought you here? I don’t have money just like you.”

 

Woohyun furrowed his eyebrow, trying to remember and get some hint from his friend. But Hoya keep his mouth shut and just stare at him and waits for him to get the answer himself.

 

“Okay, I don’t think you should strain yourself,” Dongwoo says when he see Woohyun is tensing himself. “You’re still sick.” He then turns to Hoya. “And you, stop teasing him,”

 

“What?” Hoya jump on his feet, chuckling. “How did I ?”

 

“Just tell him Sunggyu hyung run from his unfinished meeting because he’s worried as soon as you said Woohyun is sick,” Dongwoo says, no harm intended.

 

Woohyun gasp. “Sunggyu hyung? He bought me here?”

 

Hoya nods his head. “Yeah…”

 

But before he can further his explanation, the door to the ward open harshly, surprising the men inside. It shocked them more when Sunggyu run to the bed and engulf Woohyun in his arms, crying.

 

“Woohyun! I’m sorry. I’m sorry, Woohyunie…”

 

Woohyun is stunned, unable to react. He saw Dongwoo and Hoya also frozen on their feet, Sungyeol and Myungsoo came into the room, slightly panting and glad that he look safe and healthy.

 

----------------------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.

 

 

Most of you should already know about Woohyun’s left shoulder, right? This is what exactly told, Woohyun’s shoulder is beyond repair and he will be in pain in later years of his age. He looks fine when he dance but every time he move his shoulder following the step, I cringe in worry. I just hope he is fine and pray for his continuous health.