chapter 2

You Move Me

Yuri stood up from the couch in her apartment. She opened her fridge and check the ingredients that she had as she was planning to cook for herself and for her friends, Choi Sooyoung, whose pay her a visit this evening.

“Hurry make me something, Yuri-ah. I am so hungry!”, Sooyoung whined.

Yuri just chuckled hearing her shiksin friend.

“So what’s up with you, Yul?”, Sooyoung asked as she joined Yuri in front of the fridge, searching some snacks.

“I got a job offer! You know, that restaurant owned by Blanc Group.”, Yuri said while she took out some vegetables.  

Sooyoung widened her eyes. “Really? Did you take it?”, which responded by a nod from Yuri. “Are you sure? Do you know who Jessica Jung is?”

Yuri let out a little laugh. “Yes of course I know. Who doesn’t?”

“She’s really strict you know. I collaborated with her before and well ---  She is really professional, but she’s not really easy to be pleased. We have to revise the design thousand times and revise the contract a hundred times until she agreed to our proposal.”, Sooyoung said.

As an owner of a clothing line, Sooyoung once had collaboration with Blanc Group fashion line for their spring and summer collection. She knew how hard it was to make Jessica Jung happy. Sooyoung almost gave up when Jessica came to her discuss with her directly on the design and asked for revisions over and over again and Sooyoung almost backed out from the deal. But when Jessica finally agreed, it means that she was really satisfied with the product and she would have the best way to promote and market the product. The result was very satisfying, with all the collection sold out bringing more money for Sooyoung.

“You know I heard from my friend who knows the chef worked in her restaurant, he quit because he can’t stand working for Jessica anymore. She is not easy to deal with. Are you sure you want to work for her?”, Sooyoung added, now took some chips in the cabinet.

Yuri smiled while chopping the vegetables. “Come on, I am Kwon Yuri. I am one of the top chef nowadays. I am sure I can handle her. I will blown her away with my food. ”

Yuri has always interested in cooking even when she was a kid. She was not that good at cooking at first, but her love for food made her never stop learning. She took a lot of cooking course after she finished college and really study hard, then she started working from a relatively small restaurant until she got a position in a big restaurant. Slowly but sure, she won so many cooking competition, the followed by being a judge for so many cooking show and became a celebrity chef.

“Don’t be too cocky, Yul. It is never easy to tame a lion.”

**

Yuri smiled in satisfaction in the kitchen when she finally finished cooking the dish. She already did the plating nicely and now she brought it up to the table for testing. Being the celebrity chef, it was easy for her to pass the interview at Blanc Group and signed a contract. Jessica asked someone from her company to do the interview but Yuri didn’t need to show her cooking as everybody trusted her capability. Now, Jessica has specifically requested Yuri to make the signature dishes and 2 dishes more from the restaurant for her testing and Yuri was more than ready to prove her skill to Jessica.

When Yuri did the final checking with the plating, she heard the sound of heels clacking behind her. Yuri turned her head and there she was, Jessica Jung. Walking elegantly in her business suit and stare directly to where Yuri was.

Wow. Jessica Jung is even prettier in person. – Yuri said in her mind.

Jessica stopped in front of Yuri, politely bowed back a little bit when Yuri bowed to her. “Kwon Yuri, right? it’s nice meeting you and glad to have you joining our restaurant. I am Jessica.”, she stated. No smile, not even a little bit smirk. In a mere second, Yuri could felt how intimidated Jessica was.

“Happy to be here.”, Yuri replied with a big smile, hoping to melting the awkwardness. But Jessica didn’t budge, she kept her blank face and quickly grabbed a napkin, ready to taste the food that Yuri has made.

She took a fork and a knife, started slicing and munching her food. 1 second… 2 seconds… 3 seconds… Jessica face didn’t change not even a little bit. Yuri gulped, waiting for Jessica’s reaction.

“Too sweet.”, Jessica said bluntly, making Yuri’s jaw dropped.

What???

Jessica then moved to the second dish and tasted the food. Again, still no smile after she swallowed the food. She turned her gaze to Yuri and stare at her blankly. She didn’t say anything and move directly to the third dish, the signature dish of the restaurant. Jessica munching the food, looking at the ceiling as if she was struggling to find the good taste on the dish. She shook her head lightly. 

“Bland, not enough flavor. Did you really follow the recipe we gave you?”, Jessica lifted up her eyebrows.

Yuri chuckled awkwardly as she scratched the back of her head, nervous. “Of course. I already followed exactly what it said ----“

“No you don’t.”, Jessica cut her. “If you do, it won’t taste like this.”  She said nonchalantly then she put the fork and the knife on the table.

Yuri could not say anything as she was just too shock at reaction from Jessica.

“Please do it again. I am going to taste it again tomorrow. Our head chef will be leaving in two weeks, you might as well learn from him. Oh, and I want you to make a pasta, using your own recipe. Thanks.”

With that, she walked away without further saying to Yuri.

What the hell just happened? Did she just literally said that my food was not good enough?? – Yuri

But Jessica’s reaction actually made Yuri upset. She was a professional chef and a good one to be precise or otherwise, she would not win those competition and awarded with so many awards. Then this woman, who was a business woman and Yuri was sure she didn’t even have time to cook, literally judge her food and showing that it was not taste good.

Yuri was still spacing out until someone tapped her shoulder. It was one of the chef that in charge of the dessert, Victoria.  

“Don’t be to worry about it.”, she said.

“Is she always like that?”, Yuri pointed to where Jessica’s figured was disappeared.

Victoria chuckled. “It’s just… she’s Jessica. Anyway, I am actually a fan. Can I get a picture and  your autograph?”, then she said shyly.

Yuri laughed. “You need my autograph and picture? I will be working with you, Vic.  I will see you everyday anyway.”

“But … ----“

“You know what, why don’t we go out for dinner after work? My treat. I need you to tell me everything about Jessica, what she likes what she don’t like.”, Yuri asked in a friendly tone as she smiled to Victoria.

Victoria blushed and nodded happily.

**

The next day, Yuri was ready for the second time presenting her dishes to Jessica. She already learned from the current head chef and she was sure that today Jessica will satisfy.  On the other hand, she also already made pasta, as requested by Jessica.

Again, the sound of heels, indicating that Jessica has arrived made Yuri nervous. Yuri has learned from Victoria that Jessica was really perfectionist when it comes to her work. She might appear cold, but she never really yelled to any of her employees. But that’s the thing that actually scary about her, because you never really can read her. She even got the nicknames ‘Ice Princess’ from the media as well as from her employees due to her coldness. Victoria said she thinks Jessica still has a warm side as she often saw Jessica smiled or laughed when Jessica was with her good friends who came to the restaurant, but when it comes to work, Jessica rarely show that side of her. Regardless, Victoria told Yuri that once Jessica was satisfied with their work, she will cherish her employee and can become generous.

“How are you today?”, Jessica asked Yuri. Then she shifted her gaze to the table to see the dishes that Yuri has prepared.

Yuri just nodded and smiled awkwardly. “I am sure today is better.”, she said. Yuri actually someone who like to crack a jokes, she loved to laughed and almost never take things too seriously. But being in the same room with Jessica, it seemed that her kkab personality suddenly vanished.

Jessica nodded and started to taste the food. “Let’s get this over with. I have a meeting in 15 minutes.”

Yuri held her breath when she saw Jessica munching the signature dish today version. The room for the testing food went dead quiet when Jessica swallowed the food. When Jessica squinted her eyes, Yuri gulped.

“No better. Too salty. Still far from good.”, Jessica said, short and straightforward.

“What?? I --- ”, Yuri blinked and wanted to protest, but Jessica shot a glare at her, making Yuri’s voice seemed to stuck in .

Jessica then moved to her pasta. Yuri made a simple dish, which was spaghetti aglio olio with prawn. She thought that it would be better to have a simple dish with extraordinary taste. It will be more special.  Jessica took the spaghetti with her fork. Yuri for the second time, could not even utter a word and she was sure that she was sweating now waiting for Jessica’s reaction.

“What is this? This is the best you can do?”, Jessica asked, suddenly. She lifted her eyebrows.

“But ----“, Yuri opened , ready to explain.

 “Save it. I expect more from a celebrity chef like you.”, Jessica cut her again. It sounded like mocking, but Jessica’s tone was cold, stable and her expression was flat.  

Damn it! Stop cutting me all the time, woman!!! – Yuri

“What’s wrong with the aglio olio?”, Yuri brave herself to ask, she started to get annoyed. 

Jessica didn’t say anything and just shrugged her shoulder while let out a heavy sigh. Seeing this, Yuri gritted her teeth.

“I can’t sell something like that in our restaurant.”, Jessica finally said.

Without even she realized, Yuri balled her fist. It was like an insult to her as Jessica implied that her aglio olio was dreadful and not even worth to be sold.  Jessica seemed to notice that Yuri was upset and glanced at Yuri’s hand.

“Don’t take it too personally. Just do it again for another testing. I have to go to my meeting. Thanks.”, Jessica casually said, then she turned her body and walked away.

Ohmygod, can I kill her?!!? – Yuri

Yuri groaned in frustration when Jessica already disappeared from her sight. Apparently she was too underestimate Jessica. This woman really hard to be pleased!

**

“Hello..”, Jessica response when Taeyeon called her on the phone.

“Hey, ice cube!! Busy?”, Taeyeon chirped.

Jessica rolled her eyes, although Taeyeon obviously cant see it. “What?! I am busy!”

“Well.. well.. Don’t be like that, dear.. “, Taeyeon chuckled. “So? How’s our new chef?”

Jessica pinned the phone between her hands and ears, while her hands were busy typing something on her laptop. She was revising some report that has been prepared by her employee.

“She’s okay.”, Jessica said.

“Just okay? Come on! She’s really good you know!”, Taeyeon tried to convince Jessica. Taeyeon could still remember how everyone praised Yuri’s food at the SM event.  

“Okay okay. She’s good. I just need something more from her.”, Jessica finally let out a defeated sigh.

Taeyeon laughed. She knew her friend very well and how perfectionist she was. “But anywaaayy, she’s gorgeous, right?

Jessica went quiet for a while. She never really thought of it. But based on what she could remembered, Yuri was indeed looked charming. Yuri was tall, well-built for a women, her tan skin was y and Jessica notice how cute Yuri was when she was nervous. But Jessica quickly shook her head. 

What the hell? Why am i thinking about how gorgeous that chef is? Damn you, Kim Taeyeon! – Jessica.

“But of course I am cuter than her!!”, Taeyeon exclaimed.

“You do know that I am rolling my eyes right now, right?” Jessica retorted, which earned a giggle from Taeyeon. “What’s up, Tae?”

“Eerr – well --- I know how busy you are so I just go straight to the point. Other than asking about Yuri, I just want to know --uhm – about your friend Tiffany..”, Taeyeon asked shyly.

“What’s with her?”, Jessica pretended to ask, but actually she already knew where the conversation was going.

“Is she seeing someone? Well – she’s pretty. Do you think you can help me to – you know --- I want to ask her out on a date?”

Hearing this, Jessica felt uneasy. She was confused, was she jealous or was she just didn’t want Tiffany playing with Taeyeon’s heart? But she ended up agreeing what Taeyeon was asked from her.

“It’s easy. She thinks you’re cute. So, I can give you her number.”