​​​​​​​7:01pm, Friday

The Space Between


[7:01pm, Friday]

 

Hot steam from Heechul’s coffee fogs up his glasses, completely blocking his view as he patiently waits for the other man’s attention. The last thing he sees is Jungsoo’s guilty expression as he turns to the side, phone stuck to his ear, hastily trying to end his conversation without offending the pretty face in front of him. “Yeah babe, of course I’ll be there, just let me finish... something... urgent came up at the company and the managers won’t let me leave yet. Not sure how long this is gonna take...”

 

I wish I could block my ears instead.

 

Wiping down the simple brass frames he realizes their corner of the cafe is now silent, his cup is almost empty, and Jungsoo’s eyes are finally focused on his once again. “Sorry Heechul, you know how it is. It would cause a huge scandal if anyone finds out. We’ll lose everything.” Silently pleading, he reaches across the table and grabs the younger’s hand, threading their fingers together tightly.

 

But you’ll still have me.

 

Heechul forces a smile, and he can feel the hand in his grip visibly relax. “I knew how it would be from the start hyung, and I’m still here aren’t I? Come on, I’m universe superstar Kim Heechul. Nothing can faze me.” The smile turns into a smirk and he leans in to whisper softly. “Now let’s get out of here and you can show me just how sorry you are.”